Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 2nd Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 63Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    0 WOW
    Long Haul Destination Ideas
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    0 WOW
    Long Haul Destination Ideas 2nd Jan 18 at 9:43 AM
    Hi,

We are looking at booking a quite a long haul 2 week holiday in June or July. Ideally looking at somewhere where flights are around £500 but the cost of living is really cheap. We looked at Bali as flights from Manchester were around £500 however w though the flight time of 23 hours was too long for a 2 week holiday.

Other places we’ve considered are Thailand and South Africa. Could anybody offer any other suggestions. Would Cuba we OK priced as hotels seem quite expensive.

Ideal flight time would be max 10 hours
Page 2
    • Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 3rd Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    Your like the Vietnam guro haha. Thanks mate.

You been to Vietnam multiple times I assume?
    • Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 3rd Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    Considering going from hoi an to Cambodia instead of southern Vietnam as flight time only 1hr
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 3rd Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Considering going from hoi an to Cambodia instead of southern Vietnam as flight time only 1hr
    Originally posted by Moneygrabber89
    Remember to consider the cost of Cambodian visas which was US$30 the last time I checked. Vietnam is visa free for stays up to 15 nights.

Vietnam is a fantastic place to go right now. It's getting more popular every year but is still very affordable - you can get some great quality accommodation for £15-20 a night - and hasn't been ruined by mass tourism that some parts of Thailand suffered from.

The only challenge with Vietnam is that is can be a slow country to move around - internal flights are cheap but they are regularly delayed or cancelled so you need to be flexible with your plans. If you have two weeks then I would concentrate on the north or south of the country then go back to do the other half another time.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 4th Jan 18, 6:04 AM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Dosh.....The Vietnam visa exemption for British passport holders is 15 days or less, arrival and departure dates count count against the 15.
    • Deltapapaoscar
    • By Deltapapaoscar 4th Jan 18, 7:25 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deltapapaoscar
    I spent 3 weeks in Vietnam in March and it was a fantastic place. Ended up spending 5 days in both Hoi An and HCMC and they both offered different things.

Whilst Hoi An was nice for three nights, due to its size, I was rather bored by the end of day 5 and was itching to leave. Its the same thing every night.

What are you wanting from a place? And are you tied to one or the other? HCMC is huge, Westernised in places and more expensive than anywhere else in Vietnam I found but had a greater range of things to do.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 4th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    The OP only has 2 weeks in total, so 4 nights in Hoi An would be plenty. On our trip we had pushbikes, got around a bit, and stayed a week.

Can't think why he wants to be wandering off to Cambodia with only the short time he's got.....Less = More.
    • Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 4th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    So if you were going for 2 weeks what time would you spend in Hanoi and hoi an?

It sounds like more to do in Hanoi.

Your help is appreciated guys
    • slinga
    • By slinga 4th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    slinga
    I've said my bit on Vietnam on here before. Both HCMC and Hanoi.
    I'm a lone voice.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 4th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    See #3 for day and overnight trips from Hanoi, 4nights in Hoi An. They can easily be arranged after you've arrived.

Does that 2 weeks mean 14 nights in Vietnam, or does it include travel to and from UK?
    • Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    Including travel
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 4th Jan 18, 2:50 PM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Including travel
    In that case I reckon Hanoi including day and/or overnight [eg. Halong Bay] trips, plus Hoi An would be enough. Halong Bay involves 2 full days if you did it as it's a long drive each way.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 4th Jan 18, 3:26 PM
    • 5,153 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    blindman
    Your like the Vietnam guro haha. Thanks mate.

You been to Vietnam multiple times I assume?
    He is

Stick to his recommendations.

We went in March and stayed 3 weeks.

We stayed in Hanoi for 3 days, (about right for the city)then went to Halong bay for a 1 night cruise.

Then got a taxi to Ninh Binh for a 1 night stop (midday arrival then a 23:00 train the following day).

Overnight train to Danang then taxi to Hoi An

Stayed a couple of nights in Hoi An (more than enough for sight seeing).

Then onward (flight) to HCMC and other places.

So that was about 7 days up to the flight to HCMC.

You could easily make this into 14 as there are trips to Hue from Danang and then North from Hanoi there is Sapa.

Other coastal resorts have nice beaches so you can laze on them for a few days.

Very cheap accommodation\food\beer and transport.

I would consider returning to fill out the bits we missed.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 4th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    In that case I reckon Hanoi including day and/or overnight [eg. Halong Bay] trips, plus Hoi An would be enough. Halong Bay involves 2 full days if you did it as it's a long drive each way.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Hmmm... With 12 nights (plus 2 travel days) to play with I would be tempted to go with

3 nights Hanoi (maybe 4 if you have a late arrival on day 1)
    1 night Halong Bay
    3 nights Hue
    3-4 nights Hoi An
    1 night back in Hanoi before flight home

I'd skip Danang as apart from the airport there really isn't much of interest there.

Some people don't like Hoi An as they find it too quiet and a bit "fake" I found it to be a charming. I was unlucky with the weather in Hue when I was there a few months ago so I would like to go back as I didn't get chance to explore as much as I wanted.

We'll save our recommendations for southern Vietnam for another trip.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 4th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 18,612 Posts
    • 7,710 Thanks
    richardw
    Btw https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Bi_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinat ions is possible from Halong Bay and saves going back to Hanoi.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Btw https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Bi_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinat ions is possible from Halong Bay and saves going back to Hanoi.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Yep, the theory is sound but the practice isn't. Flights in and out of these small domestic airports are notorious for delays and cancellations....great if it works, time lost if it doesn't, and on a short trip time is precious.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 8:52 AM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Hmmm... With 12 nights (plus 2 travel days) to play with I would be tempted to go with

3 nights Hanoi (maybe 4 if you have a late arrival on day 1)
    1 night Halong Bay
    3 nights Hue
    3-4 nights Hoi An
    1 night back in Hanoi before flight home

I'd skip Danang as apart from the airport there really isn't much of interest there.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Yep, you could do that. It's extra dead time though travelling [to and from Halong Bay] and hanging round airports. Tbh I'd skip Halong Bay altogether as there's plenty to see in and around Hanoi.

As Danang is the airport for Hoi An and getting back to Hanoi it's difficult to skip.....I wouldn't stop there on a short trip. We have stayed there though for 5 nights and enjoyed it, hardly any tourists, some decent lesser visited sights, and a train station handy for getting to Hue.

We liked Hue but chose the wrong time to go.....caught in a Tropical Depression for 5 days.....plenty of beer [Saigon Green Label] and people watching time.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 5th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    We liked Hue but chose the wrong time to go.....caught in a Tropical Depression for 5 days.....plenty of beer [Saigon Green Label] and people watching time.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    I was pretty lucky with the weather in Vietnam last September but did hit a 2 day downpour in Hue. Fortunately my hotel was just off the main Beer Street so there were loads of bars around

As I always say, you have to expect some rain in SE Asia and keep your plans flexible. If you want 2 weeks of unbroken sunshine then go to Dubai.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I was pretty lucky with the weather in Vietnam last September but did hit a 2 day downpour in Hue. Fortunately my hotel was just off the main Beer Street so there were loads of bars around

As I always say, you have to expect some rain in SE Asia and keep your plans flexible. If you want 2 weeks of unbroken sunshine then go to Dubai.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1HBNXoQZLM

• Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 5th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    Is there no quick way to get from halong bay to hoi ann instead of going back to Hanoi. Think we will give hue a miss as recently went to Japan do all templed out
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Is there no quick way to get from halong bay to hoi ann instead of going back to Hanoi. Think we will give hue a miss as recently went to Japan do all templed out
    See #34, plus...

https://www.catbiinternational.com/

Also see #35.

Vietjet and Vietnam Airlines cover the route to Da Nang. Make sure you look on their official websites and not a dodgy look-alike website. Okay, here you are...

https://www.vietjetair.com/Sites/Web/en-US/Home
    https://www.vietnamairlines.com/

You haven't got a lot of time. You can rush around and hope everything fits into place.....if it does then great, but if it doesn't?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

2,902Users online

Martin's Twitter