Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 2nd Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 852Posts
    • 2,236Thanks
    fatrab
    My 5 year plan
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    My 5 year plan 2nd Jan 18 at 9:22 AM
    Happy new year!

I made a thread at the end of last year in the DFW section (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5756197) because of a few silly financial decisions I made in the past year and wanted to set them straight. As part of that I made a spending diary for week and realised how much more I was spending than what I though I was.

So I promised 2018 was going to be different and that I'd make a thread here to set my goals and note down any achievements!

My 5 year plan looks like this:

Year 1 Timeline (2018):
    Jan - Pay HMRC - 1017 - PAID 25/01/18 (page 5)
    Feb - Pay off credit card 1 - 978.80 - PAID 28/02/18 (page 12)
    March - Build up 2000 safety fund - ACHIEVED 12/03/18 (page 14)
    May - Tax rebate - 857 mileage relief allowance + 179.20 rebate (page 21)
    June - Re-mortgage - Approved 05/06/18
    July - Pay home insurance IN FULL
    July - Cancel mobile contract for tablet - CANCELLED 27/03/18 (page 16)
    September - Pay TV licence IN FULL
    October - Pay car insurance IN FULL
    October - Pay car tax (big car) - CANCELLED 09/05/18 (page 21)
    October - Cancel my mobile - CANCELLED 20/04/18 (page 19)
    October - Renegotiate TV/Broadband/Phone package
    Throughout year - Overpay car finance - CAR SOLD 08/05/18 (page 21)

Year 2:
    January - Cancel Mrs' mobile
    Pay off car finance - CAR SOLD 08/05/18 (page 21)
    Pay off loan - PAID 17/05/18 (page 22)
    Continue to build up the safety fund

Year 3:
    Pay off credit card (currently on 0% deal)
    Overpay mortgage if possible - First overpayment 25/5/18 (page 23)

Years 4 & 5:
    Overpay mortgage. I have 7 years and 2 months remaining at the moment but I have been making regular overpayments and I'm due to re-mortgage in October at the end of a 5 year fix.
    At the end of year 5 have enough money saved to pay any outstanding balance on the mortgage.

Obviously as each debt is paid off I'll have extra to pay to the next debt, this is where I'll struggle. It'll take a lot of commitment and focus not to go bananas with any spare cash but I'm 43 and want to be debt free by 50. I can do this in 5 years. Debt free by 48 would be amazing!

Wish me luck!

Robert

NOTE: Due to a malicious attack some diaries disappeared and this was one of them. I started a new one, but the nice people at MSE towers managed to recover my original one and they're now merged, from page 6 onwards.

From June 2018 onwards:
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 1
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 3819.84
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 234.87
    Total monthly income.................... 4054.71

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 800.3
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 250
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 145.8
    Electricity............................. 37.27
    Gas..................................... 40
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 10
    Mobile phone............................ 80.69
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 14
    Internet Services....................... 10
    Groceries etc. ......................... 150
    Clothing................................ 50
    Petrol/diesel........................... 200
    Road tax................................ 2.5
    Car Insurance........................... 30
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 50
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 7.67
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 6.81
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 100
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 50
    Netflix................................. 5.99
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2051.03

Assets

Cash.................................... 1302
    House value (Gross)..................... 128000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 4000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 133302

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 61526.2..(800.3)....3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 61526.2...-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Credit card....................3520......110.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........3520......110.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 4,054.71
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,051.03
    Available for debt repayments........... 2,003.68
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 110
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 1,893.68

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 133,302
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -61,526.2
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -3,520
    Net Assets.............................. 68,255.8

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
    Last edited by fatrab; 08-06-2018 at 7:49 AM.
Page 2
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 8th Jan 18, 7:00 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Back to work today - oooft...

Last nights left overs for lunch, dinner in the slow cooker, bacon and eggs for breaky.

My first conscious attempt at a no spend day. Let's do this.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    June's targets - Be 15st by end of month, 19/30 AFDs
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 8th Jan 18, 9:57 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    Storm89
    Happy No Spend Day
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Jan 18, 7:44 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    My first no spend day (yesterday) was a success! Trying for 2 in a row! Have made a shopping list for the next 3 days as all current food will be eaten by lunchtime tomorrow so will go shopping after work tomorrow and that'll be us through til Saturday.

Received 175 for my December expenses from work today. I had sort-of forgotten about them so that was a pleasant surprise.

First thought was "oh yes, what will I buy" closely followed with a swift self-applied slap to the head.

So I've transferred 158 to the emergency fund, which now stands at 1000! That'll do for now, will add more to it in March/April once the Credit card, HMRC and the purchase of a new microwave are taken care of.

Also, switched the Gas and Electric. It was in my wife's name but the deal has just ended and she'll be on statutory maternity pay as of next month so it seemed sensible to switch to a better deal and transfer into my name/account. 20/month "saved" apparently!

A few other little things have changed since I last did my SOA back in December so I think I'll re-do it at the start of Feb and get a better picture of where I stand.

Cheers!
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 9th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 6,612 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Excellent diary. We have a built in microwave in our kitchen which is still going strong after 20 years!!! Think we have had our moneys worth out of it.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Excellent diary. We have a built in microwave in our kitchen which is still going strong after 20 years!!! Think we have had our moneys worth out of it.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver

Yes I think you have! I thought 12 years was good!

We bought a matching microwave, toaster and kettle in 2006 the day we moved in. Never used the toaster so gave it away many moons ago, kettle still going strong. Was looking to replace microwave with similar (Russell Hobbs) but cheapest matching one we can find is 65.

So it'll be the cheapest(ish) one we can find. Don't need to buy it until 19th Jan as we have the use of one from elsewhere until then and if we're frugal we'll have enough in current account to buy it (assuming 40ish), no need to use emergency fund or credit card.

Cheers!
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Slight miscalculation in my favour! I hadn't deducted the minimum payment that was taken for Credit Card 1 (MBNA) last week, so the balance is down from 1040 to 978.80!

Called up and reduced credit limit to 3000 (was 10000). Unsurprisingly, there was a great 0% deal available if I wanted to transfer another balance! Eh.. no thanks!

Payday can't come quick enough so I can get this card paid off. I will keep the card active for now, as will use it again to pay HMRC and then from time to time I have business expenses which I claim back though my employer.

I have also amended the direct debit for this card to repay the full outstanding balance from now on.

I really feel like I'm getting somewhere. I hope this momentum keeps up!
    Last edited by fatrab; 09-01-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 10th Jan 18, 12:50 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Not feeling so great today, midweek slump methinks.

Need to go do a bit of shopping, will fuel up while I'm there. Going to try the downshift challenge at the supermarket.

Feel like I'm wishing my life away wanting payday to come around so I can start to make an impact on the current situation.
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    You know, I actually think that the fact I had to spend yesterday was what got me down.

"saved" 5.20 by downshifting. NSD today and feeling good about it too!

Coasting along now until the 25th (payday). Fingers crossed for no more blips this month.
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 11th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    Storm89
    I feel exactly the same as you with waiting for february. Payday for us is 31st so literally the last day of the month. But we feel the same with just coasting along, don't want to wish my life away but wish it was february so we can start properly .
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    I feel exactly the same as you with waiting for february. Payday for us is 31st so literally the last day of the month. But we feel the same with just coasting along, don't want to wish my life away but wish it was february so we can start properly .
    Originally posted by Storm89
    It's quite a hard thing to come to terms with, that you're basically just going to have to sit there and get on with it when you're used to going out doing what you want.
    Its finding new things to do, ways to be entertained without spending, challenging yourself to be thriftier and while focussing so hard on not making a mistake.

Then, when payday comes, there will be a day or two of arranging and allocating money (which I'm looking forward to) but then the lull until the next event in your timeline occurs.

At least February is a 4 week month!
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 6,612 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Slight miscalculation in my favour! I hadn't deducted the minimum payment that was taken for Credit Card 1 (MBNA) last week, so the balance is down from 1040 to 978.80!

Called up and reduced credit limit to 3000 (was 10000). Unsurprisingly, there was a great 0% deal available if I wanted to transfer another balance! Eh.. no thanks!

Payday can't come quick enough so I can get this card paid off. I will keep the card active for now, as will use it again to pay HMRC and then from time to time I have business expenses which I claim back though my employer.

I have also amended the direct debit for this card to repay the full outstanding balance from now on.

I really feel like I'm getting somewhere. I hope this momentum keeps up!
    Originally posted by fatrab
    I read yesterday that due to charges on credit cards being abolished from mid January HMRC are no longer accepting tax payments on credit cards. You may want to double check on that.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    If that's the case then I may need to use either my emergency fund or overdraft. Haven't been in overdraft for over a year and had no intention of ever using it again.

Suppose it would make sense to use the emergency fund and keep the overdraft for emergencies if that's the case.

I'll look into it today as they told me last week I could pay it by credit card.

Thanks
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    You are correct, last day for credit card payments is tomorrow. Oh well, that part of the plan is up in the air....
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 6,612 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Unless you pay it today or tomorrow? I would use the emergency fund rather than overdraft.

• fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Thinking about it logically, if I pay by credit card I'll need to pay a fee. I have the money available, I'd be as well using it.

I have 1000 exactly in the fund, my tax bill is 1017.60 and I'll be claiming back over 3800 in April which is the annoying part.

I can rebuild the fund, I'd never had one until last month and I survived up until now just fine!
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 6,612 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    How frustrating you have to pay and then claim back. Is this something you have to do every year or just a one off? I also have to claim a tax refund after April as just retired and have paid tax even though I will be under the personal allowance for 2017/2018.

With your surplus you will soon build up the emergency fund again and I would not pay a fee either.

• fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    I received an over payment last year as I claimed business mileage but only informed them of one employment within the tax year. I only told them about the employment to which the business mileage related to. I didn't realise the tax I paid with the other employer would have affected my claim.

Basically, I left my employer in October 16 and had a business mileage claim from April - Oct 2016

From Oct 2016 until Sep 2017 I worked for someone else and didn't have any business mileage.

Then went back to original employer, and now have business miles again.

All through self-assessment as the amount claimed is far to high to be filed on a form P87.

It's just a one-off blip, should never have left current employer in the first place. The grass was not greener on the other side of the fence!
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 11th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    I am now thinking that paying off and cancelling the credit card is a wiser choice come payday.
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 12th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Revised plan:

Pay HMRC on 25/1/18 (debit card - no fee!)
    Await billing cycle to complete on MBNA which will see balance taken in full by DD on 27th Feb (no interest due)
    Close MBNA account 28/2/18 or as soon as credit is applied from DD.

I should be able to do this without dipping into overdraft, but the emergency fund might take a slight hit.

Wonder how long it'll be before the revised plan needs revised?!
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 12th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    MeenaM
    I'm the same waiting for payday , aghhh but will be good when it does come
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next1170Barclays Credit Card 4891.20/0- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 4138 3845.89AA Credit Card 860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card 521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund 614/1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

2,054Users online

Martin's Twitter