Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmm
    • By nmm 1st Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,769Posts
    • 8,135Thanks
    nmm
    Cross Stitch Cafe 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    Cross Stitch Cafe 2018 1st Jan 18 at 9:25 PM
    Welcome old and new members to the 2018 thread, last year we lacked time and motivation to stitch as much as possible, lets hope we get more time this year. I'm still working on my Bauble Wreath and crocheting a bag aswell. What is everyone else currently working on?
    Last edited by nmm; 01-01-2018 at 9:29 PM.
    Cross Stitch Cafe Challenge Member No1 / WIP: Bauble Wreath
    Current Challenges -
Page 3
    • nmm
    • By nmm 29th Jun 18, 10:44 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    nmm
    Waterlily24, that's stunning!!! how long did it take you?
    Current Challenges -
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 3rd Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Hi nmm, thank you. It took about 3 months, stitch while I'm watching telly at night and sometimes during the day.

I've added a bit more too, I was going to leave it out but decided not to lol.
    It's got 'United in Marriage' across the top in fancy letters. The 'U' is huge about 50 x 50 squares or whatever they are called lol.
    Last edited by Waterlily24; 03-07-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    • nmm
    • By nmm 3rd Jul 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    nmm
    3 months, that's good going it would've taken me 3 years at the rate I stitch, lol
    Current Challenges -
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 25th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 27,176 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hello, remember me?!
    Haven't been on the forums in months due to lack of time mainly. Lovely to see Louise posting (waves) and Waterlily (welcome).
    I have news in that I've quit my job - literally resigned and walked out leaving them open-mouthed. Not great I know, but my boss was the fussiest most irritating person I've ever met and he just wouldn't stop criticising every little thing. In the end I wasn't sleeping, was constantly anxious and paranoid and was losing the plot. Happy to say the doctor has agreed that I'm suffering from work related stress and has given me a sick note to cover my notice period. Small wins.
    In the last few months crafting has taken a back seat. The last proper craft time was in May when I attended a stumpwork course at Hampton Court. Really interesting but fast paced. Still need to finish the kit they gave me. I have continued with my church monthly craft group and have knitted 10 poppies for a display to commemorate the end of the First World War. Loads more needed but I have time and there's about 12 of us doing them.
    The weather is so hot that it doesn't lend itself to crafting really. I'm permanently hot here in Kent! On the plus side of being at home, the housework, washing etc is all up to date and there is food in the fridge/cupboards where normally we have been running out of stuff and I've had to grab it during my lunch hour.
    Not sure what the future holds job wise. I've been looking and have applied for a few roles but need to get a good headspace to be of use to a new employer. If only handmade goods made money I'd be like a pig in muck!
    Hope you're all doing okay
    Coxy x
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • nmm
    • By nmm 25th Jul 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    nmm
    hey Coxy, nice to hear from you again, funnily enough i'm between jobs atm, but luckily have enough savings to start up a new business, self employed is way better than dealing with annoying bosses. I too have not done any cross stitching since my last photo on here. They are knitting/crocheting poppies here too, I've done a couple but i'll do more when I get the urge again. Handmade goods can make money but I find i'm too slow at stitching to make it worthwhile, have you tried Etsy?
    Current Challenges -
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 1st Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 27,176 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi nmm and all,
    I have today stitched a simple Christmas card design - took about 2 hours all told which doesn't include mounting it in a card. Like I said before - no money in crafting of this ilk! The design was from P!nterest. I have spent some hours on P!nterest since the weekend - now I have the time. Have been doing a little gardening too, just trying to get some positivity back. We are away next week in France which I'm really looking forward to. Don't think I will take a project with me as the children are keen to play scrabble and rummikub so I need to make the most of them not looking at their phones.
    What business are you planning to start nmm?
    Coxy x
    • nmm
    • By nmm 3rd Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    nmm
    Hi all, I managed to get a few hours stitching done myself his week, trying very hard to complete my wild wolf design as I want to do the Elvis Chart for a friend by Christmas. I hate having UFO's!!!
    Coxy we used to run a secondhand tech shop most likely we'll set up another one, it made plenty of money but we hated being stuck indoors, we're more outdoor people.
    Current Challenges -
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 7th Aug 18, 10:45 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 21,632 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good evening everyone, I just wanted to pop on and introduce myself.

I used to be an avid cross stitcher and then got so sick of all my UFO's and SABLE that I sold it all and started knitting toys instead. After all these years I have ignited my passion for sewing again and have ordered a few Lizzie Kate kits to do. I am waiting for them to arrive from America so I have bought a couple of magazines and have made the free kits from them.

I love Halloween and Christmas so the kits from the USA are holiday themed but I found a UK supplier who literally lives a few streets away from me and so I have ordered a couple of charts from her too.

My children are mostly grown up now and I don't work due to health reasons so I have plenty of time on my hands to get stuck into my stitching. So Hi from me, hope to 'speak' to you again soon.

• nmm
    • By nmm 8th Aug 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    nmm
    Hi dumpling, welcome to the cafe First off we love photo's nice to hear you're getting back into stitching, it's a very relaxing hobby. Which Lizzie Kate kits did you buy?
    Current Challenges -
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 8th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 21,632 Thanks
    dumpling
    Hi there, I have bought the Halloween Rules set of small kits to sew together to make a large piece, the Christmas Rules set in the same style as the Halloween ones. I also bought the Spooked Mystery chart set, the tingles double flip it full set, Halloweenie, Hats off to Halloween 2 and the Ask me about my Grandkids little chart. Enough to keep me busy for a while I think! Typically I discovered I love Lizzie Kate charts when they have just stopped producing them. That is why I went a bit mad ordering them as they are going to get hard to get hold of. Just waiting for the courier to deliver them..hopefully some time this week. I don't know yet how to put photos on but will find out and hopefully have some things to show you all soon. Thank you for the welcome xx

• nmm
    • By nmm 9th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    nmm
    Wow, that's quite a few to be going on with, I seem to recall someone stitching "A Good Marriage" on here. Generally you have to upload photos somewhere like flickr or photobucket then link to them here, but the image hosting sites seem to moving away from free hosting, so maybe facebook or onedrive, etc might be a better option.
    Current Challenges -
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 9th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 27,176 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Evening all from french France!
    We've been here since Saturday. Thought I'd be able to browse some french craft shops but the only one I saw was in Paris on Monday, in the shadow of Sacre Ceour. We were on a route march to do the main sites in one day so I didn't have a chance to stop! Managed scare ceour (to the top)', l'arc de triomphe, Eiffel Tower (to the top!) and Norte dame, then back on the train to our Gite. Managed 23k steps in 37 degrees.
    Welcome dumpling - I know you from the o/s daily (waves). I too love Lizzie Kate kits and didn't realise they were stopping?! You have enough to be keeping busy with. Please post pics when you can. Wish I'd bought a project with me but we have been playing rummikub and eating lots of bread and cheese so I haven't been idle! Disney studios tomorrow then home Saturday.
    Coxy x
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 11th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 21,632 Thanks
    dumpling
    Hi everyone,

My cross stitches finally turned up today. I was clobbered by customs charges of over 35 altogether but sucked it up as I was desperate to get my hands on them. I have made a start on the Halloween Rules one but was defeated by the rubbish light in the living room. I used to have a daylight lamp which made such a difference I shall have to look out for another one.
    I expect you are back home now Coxy, hope you had a lovely time in France.

nmm, thanks for the info on photo hosting, I will have a proper look into it tomorrow and hopefully get some pictures on.
    Have a lovely evening everyone xx

• Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 27,176 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi all,
    Home yesterday late afternoon. We had a great week - felt like longer, but in a good way iyswim? DS1 had done a good job of keeping the house tidy, the dog fed and the plants watered, bless him. The washing has now started

I'm stunned at the customs charges dumpling, what a rip off! I have bought LK charts before from Trudy Anne Designs. She is usually at the Ally Pally show in October but I know she does mail order too:

https://www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/harrogate/exhibitor/trudy-anne-designs/

Just in case you want more charts once those ones are done....

We are off to see BIL today as it was his birthday on Friday. Probably have an early night then back to job hunting tomorrow. I have three I want to apply for.

Want to pick up Collecting Shells at some point this week. DH is off and we have some plans but will hopefully get to it in the evening.

Coxy x
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 13th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 27,176 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Well fellow stitchers, you would be proud of me! Managed a couple of hours on Collecting Shells last night. Did some of the hair which is four shades of brown, but got a bit distracted by the athletics. Dina Asher-Smith is from our town so pleased as punch for her getting those three golds whoop whoop.
    Been to IKEA with DH today and we purchased new cushions for the lounge. We redecorated in November but couldn't find cushions we liked - until today! Now I have 10 square cushion pads going spare which I could recover or crochet covers for. More flaming projects! Some of them are a bit tired if I'm honest but at least six could be repurposed. The covers are pretty ropey and I won't be paying out to have them dry cleaned that's for sure.
    Applied for four jobs today and DH has a second IV on Wednesday, so fingers crossed please everyone.
    More stitching tonight methinks
    Coxy
    • nmm
    • By nmm 13th Aug 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    nmm
    Hi Coxy, so pleased you got some stitching done, there are some lovely crochet cushion cover patterns, let us know if you decide to make any. Good luck to both you and your DH on the job front

I too managed some stitching, here is a little update.

Current Challenges -
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 14th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 21,632 Thanks
    dumpling
    Lovely picture nmm, I am just going to try and load a picture myself.

Hopefully this works.

• dumpling
    • By dumpling 14th Aug 18, 12:45 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 21,632 Thanks
    dumpling
    Nuts, I don't know what I am doing wrong. Can anyone help please. I have a photo on flickr that I am trying to post on here.

• dumpling
    • By dumpling 14th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 21,632 Thanks
    dumpling
    Deleted for privacy reasons...I am hopeless at this!
    Last edited by dumpling; 14-08-2018 at 1:07 PM.

• nmm
    • By nmm 14th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    nmm
    You are not hopeless dumpling select the photo on flickr then click the arrow "share photo" then select the BBcode tab I use medium size, then copy the code into the reply box. (I delete everything after the first [/url] so it only contains the photo and not my name, etc)
    Last edited by nmm; 14-08-2018 at 7:41 PM.
    Current Challenges -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,909Posts Today

6,388Users online

Martin's Twitter