Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,681Posts
    • 18,915Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018 1st Jan 18 at 5:13 PM
    Happy New Year and welcome to the 2018 Make do, Mend and Minimise thread

I love reading everyone's frugal tales and inventive ways of making do and can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £904.31 (60.7% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £576.48 (27.7% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 4/60
    Emergency fund - £40/£1000. Car fund - £77.09/£1000.
    Mini Targets in April
    Exercise target - 8/16. Groceries target £175.67/£200. NSD target 14/15.
Page 7
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 4th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 35,250 Thanks
    dolly84
    It was a horrible rainy day here yesterday so DH and I went through the loft, there is still a long way to go but we took a large bag to the CS and a car full to the tip plus there were a couple of things in there that have been put to good use elsewhere. I feel really, really bad about the tip run as a lot of it was baby stuff (my youngest is 12), we put it in the loft thinking we might have another baby but decided not to and it has been left way too long and is not fit to be used by another family now.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 4th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 18,915 Thanks
    misstara
    Today I've went through my makeup bag and chucked out a few dried out mascaras, ancient lipsticks and eye pencils.

Used up a duck breast from the freezer plus some butternut squash from my dad's garden for tea. Also made a big pot of pea and ham soup which will do for lunches during the week.

Hope you've all had a good weekend
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £576.48 (27.7% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 4/60
    Mini Targets in April
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 5th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 15,460 Posts
    • 197,557 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    I'm working on a large crochet blanket so that's helping minimise of few balls of wool.
    The mending pile was s growing so I need to tackle that.
    Working on a cross stitch kit a started a couple of years ago, I'm determined to to buy any more crafting stuff, I've got more than enough for several years.
    grocery challenge April budget £400 spent £108
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far £1400
    read your books challenge-currently on After you
    cherish all living things
    17in 2018challenge 3/18
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 5th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Mended:
    I replaced the broken hinge on the tumble dryer yesterday, that DD2 managed to break last week. I almost forgot how to put the thing back together but got there in the end.
    I also cleaned the shower heads, soaking them in some water with a bit of vinegar. I was going to replace one of the showerheads, as OH had pushed some of the rubber nozzles in when cleaning (he's been banned from touching it since). But I worked out how to dismantle it and put the nozzles back in place and it's working now. That's saved me buying a new shower head.
    Minimised:
    We finally put the last of the Christmas decs away. They'd been put in the garage until we'd found the time. We took the time to sorth through the stuff and as some of it we hadn't used, so we either took it to the tip or put in the charity box.
    Have a good day everybody.
    Books - the original virtual reality.

2017 in 2017: £2198.89
    2018 in 2018: £52.98
    2018 £2 savers club:£46
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 8th Feb 18, 9:34 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 17,856 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Hiya

evening all. I have just had to catch up from pg 5 - where does time go - with my little 2 year old GD + 2 large dogs living with me - it seems to go in cleaning up and preventing disasters. 'DIL' does not seem to be with it half the time to foresee what is about to happen!!

Some very good news here about what you folks are doing. So I am reporting back on my aims for January:

1) I achieved 23 out of 31 NSD days in January (excluding direct debits for power; phone etc.
    2) I minimised 30 things which were:
    2 hair ribbons
    4 jars of dried out lotions
    2 lace hair ribbons
    1 jewled hair bobble
    2 rings
    4 fancy decorated hair grips
    1 jewlery box
    1 empty box that contained a broach a long time ago
    2 keys (to what i dont know)
    1 folding hair brush
    3 other grips
    4 magasines
    2 bags of shredding
    2 jars of jam (that had just a little bit left)
    1 arch lever file that didnt work

Am going to do the same in Feb this time, instead of focussing on my hair accessories drawer - Im going to be revisiting my jewelry box (es) and exploring what I havent worn for ages and deciding if i can get rid of it - since its mostly costume jewelry it will be a case of donation to a chazzer rather than selling it!!!!!

anyway folks - the baby needs to go to sleep so I cant be in here typing anymore! (its a very small house)

I am also aiming to be on here more often!
    Plus 22/28 NSDs - how are the rest of you doing who joined in this idea?
    take care all!!!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 9th Feb 18, 12:48 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 18,253 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I've cut the feet off a pair of girl's tights, so they can be worn as leggings.
    I've mended small holes in 5 pairs of girl's tights and leggings.

My Mum and Dad were here for a week, and my Mum kept urging to throw out all these items. She is very frugal, and used to handmake our clothes when we were young, due to a limited budget. She knows how much we make and wants us to not worry about repairing stuff, and spending our time on 'nice' things and outings. Fact is, I get a really warm fuzzy feeling when I mend and repair items
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 503,29 = £ 435.79
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • misstara
    • By misstara 9th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 18,915 Thanks
    misstara
    Currently eating up the contents of the freezer so that it can be defrosted. Almost there so hopefully can get it defrosted at the end of next week when I'm off work.

Really not that much else to report - work is very hectic at the mo so pretty much everything else has taken a back seat. Should get better in the next couple of weeks.

Hope everyone has a good weekend
    Mini Targets in April
    • SillyLily
    • By SillyLily 15th Feb 18, 11:19 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    SillyLily
    Soooo...has no one posted here since Feb 9th? Or can I just not see it? I miss you guys! You keep me motivated!!!
    • lizziebabe
    • By lizziebabe 16th Feb 18, 12:02 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    lizziebabe
    Hi everyone - would like to join in. Have to declutter as need to sell my house and downsize. Also funds are low at the moment so will use up food in freezer and drawers.

Maybe by posting I can sort out my stuff and life.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I've been running down my cupboard stocks, resulting in some more inventive meals.
    Jack Monroe's recipes are fantastic fo this, as many rely on just a few storecupboard ingredients.

I had saag aloo with some run of the mill spices, 1/3 of a large tin of spinach (a la Popeye) and a tin of potatoes. Another tin of potatoes got roasted with some frozen sausages that should have been used at the end of October, but there was no freezer burn, and they were fine.

Today I had a puff pastry pizza, with one of Heron's two packs for 60p ready to roll puff pastry. It was a pizza rosso as I had no cheese. Tomato puree, anchovies, finely chopped onions, and sundried tomatoes.
    It was lovely, but the acid overload from the puree plus tomatoes was a bit much for my tummy - this is a newish thing, I guess I'm getting older. Mind you, it was a lot of both..

I got an Amazon Pantry* order the other week when the weather was really bad, and getting to the shops wasn't possible. Other than that, I've barely shopped since Christmas - one big shop mid January.

I have a small shopping trip tomorrow, organised by Age UK, and a bigger shop scheduled for Monday.

*If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can get a wide range of non-perishable groceries delivered via Amazon Pantry. Brilliant for bulky items like bumper packs of loo roll, and kitchen towels, multipacks of cans, big bottles of fabric conditioner, squash, etc.
    They also do Morrisons' own brand stuff, so you don't pay through the nose.
    If you buy four items from a certain list, you can have free delivery, They aren't ridiculous items. I bought an Airwick spray, some Weetabix, some squash and some cans of soft drink for example. I would have bought two of them anyway, and the cost of the others was below the amount for postage.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 16th Feb 18, 12:33 AM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 18,915 Thanks
    misstara
    Soooo...has no one posted here since Feb 9th? Or can I just not see it? I miss you guys! You keep me motivated!!!
    Originally posted by SillyLily
    All seems to be very quiet on the MMMing front.

We're still eating down the contents of the freezer and I hope to defrost it on Sunday. Tonight we had a Chinese takeaway (OH's birthday treat) and it was very yummy. The place we got from does certain dishes gluten free if you let them know so I had honey chilli chicken . OH cooked rice in the flat while I nipped out to get it so a few pounds saved . The plan was to have the leftovers tomorrow for lunch but I was a greedy guts

I'm now off work until Monday, tomorrow I really minimise the enormous ironing pile. My plan for over the weekend is to go through all my clothes and put all the things that are too big/unflattering to the charity shop.
    Mini Targets in April
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Feb 18, 1:59 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 6,120 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Update Post
    SillyLily & lizziebabe & all our other MMMers,

Maybe some of us are posting on other threads - I know I am posting on several others e.g. Daily Thread, 5 OS Pleasures, A Simpler Life 2018, No Clutter to be Seen + Love Food, Hate Waste. I will try to pop in every month or so just to keep the thread up & running.

MAKE DO

I am currently trying to use up freezer, fridge & larder contents. Am having some success by virtue of having lists of contents, weekly menu planning & being a bit more inventive. Have also been making soups & finally using the hand blender I won several years ago (I used to enter 30/40 competitions a month & not just for prizes I wanted to win as I used to give stuff to family & friends. Only postal entries so as stamp prices increased I reduced my entries & now only do TaB - one second class stamp a week)

MEND

Repairing our clothes (mine & DH) after they have been washed & dried, even darning our good quality socks, tightening pan handles BEFORE they fall off. DH has also joined in - filling in holes in walls, utilising old wood to make ‘cages’ for the pipes in the airing cupboard, motorcycle maintenance, putting new batteries in gadgets so they come back into use and the big one - decorating + sorting out the creaking floorboards upstairs (sounds like a herd of elephants when either of us walks around).

MINIMISE

Since 1st January 1535 items have gone out of the house - this includes cardboard boxes emptied & sorted, dismantled & recycled; all our clothes, bed linen & towels sorted & either kept, Rag bagged or donated to cs; 50 year old paperwork shredded; bric a brac to cs; mountains of Notebooks & Pens rationalised with excess donated to cs; hundreds of books either recycled or donated to cs (apart from ‘keepers’), DVD Collection culled & cs reaping the benefits; several trips to Recycling Centre/Tip to get rid of bits of carpet, dried up paint, old fence panels, gadget cables etc.

The decluttering & decorating are ongoing and apart from food nothing much is coming in.

Sending positive vibes to one & all. Every bit of lo food utilised, every button sewn back on & every item out of the house is a success - pat yourself on the back & make use of those times when you can do a blitz Most importantly do NOT berate yourself if you have a slow day

Good luck

MrsSD
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Feb 18, 8:23 AM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 35,250 Thanks
    dolly84
    I've been doing following 'The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning' for a while now and am using that to get rid of stuff we don't need. This week I went through my jewellery and binned broken bits and gave some bracelets and necklaces (costume) to CS.

I have a little MMM dilemma. Last weekend I bought DD a new pair of school trousers from Asda, I have had their trousers many times and they have been fine. On day 2 DD came home with a torn seam, I can easily repair it but they are brand new and should last longer than 2 days but if I take them back they will give me a new pair and chuck this one out. What should I do?

And - I haven't bought from Amazon for over 3 years now, hell would have to freeze over before I used them again. They were the first company to go on my boycott list.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 39,120 Thanks
    Floss
    Dolly they should get returned to HO for quality checking their supplier. I would return them. Similar issue - a £4 pair of opaques went on at 4.30pm on Saturday, car ridecto a party where mostly sat or stood (nothing agile!). Bu 7.30pm the left leg had separated from the body along the gusset area They have been laundered and will be returned tomorrow.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 16th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 18,253 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Still mmm-ing here!

Carefully going through stocks, trying to catch small holes before they get too large to mend, emptying the freezer to defrost it.

Husband has booked his ticket to his motherland; he will be gone the whole month of May. So we are now eating down the freezer, we will defrost it, and then fill it with homecooked meals for me and dds to eat while he is gone. I think I'll buy a set of these alumimium boxes with cardboard lids, so that I can write the contents on it properly. Every type of affordable sticker I have tried so far, has come off.

I am using up an old lipbalm, Yves R0cher grape extract. I do not particularly like it, but I have a cold, and dry lips, and it does the trick.

Today I am working from home and I really dislike it: no proper workspace, only a laptop (no screen, mouse or proper keyboard). The company I work for hires one floor in an office building, and we are changing from normal offices to open plan/flexible spaces and paperless. I am in the legal department, so we have plenty of paper. The idea is that people will work from home more often; well, I will not. They better provide me with a proper desk or else I will just bark at anyone trying to claim whatever desk I claim first
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 503,29 = £ 435.79
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Twelve years ago I can remember being told that paperwork would be cut back drastically in adult learning, (I am an adult education tutor, now working as an instructor from home, in a truly paperless working environment),

When I left the adult learning service, six years ago, we still had seventeeen pieces of paper for each learner in our teaching files, with an average of ten learners per course.
    That's not a small wodge to cart around when you teach six to eight courses per week.
    Had a book leave with a friend this afternoon. I have far too many cookbooks now, some lovely ones too, (Flora Sheddon, Izy Hossack, both free to review) but lovely is not always the same as 'useful.'.
    After six months ownership, I can donate, and think I will do so.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 17th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 35,250 Thanks
    dolly84
    Twelve years ago I can remember being told that paperwork would be cut back drastically in adult learning, (I am an adult education tutor, now working as an instructor from home, in a truly paperless working environment),

When I left the adult learning service, six years ago, we still had seventeeen pieces of paper for each learner in our teaching files, with an average of ten learners per course.
    That's not a small wodge to cart around when you teach six to eight courses per week.
    Had a book leave with a friend this afternoon. I have far too many cookbooks now, some lovely ones too, (Flora Sheddon, Izy Hossack, both free to review) but lovely is not always the same as 'useful.'.
    After six months ownership, I can donate, and think I will do so.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    I am constantly horrified by how much paper our school sends home with my children, they are just not thinking about the alternatives and that goes for the whole reducing, recycling and re-using process really.
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 17th Feb 18, 3:52 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 3,520 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Afternoon everyone, managed to get outside and get some much needed vitamin D. Mended two necklaces that had broken. I have a fully stocked freezer all with homemade batch cooked meals so that will do me for a fair while. Making do with stocks from freezer tonight. minimised a few nick nacks ornaments from around the flat that I don't particularly like but was given as gifts throughout last year. I will drop them off at the charity shop next week with a few paperbacks. A NSD for me today I think its my 5th one for February which for me is good as I am addicted to ebay.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club
    • SillyLily
    • By SillyLily 18th Feb 18, 12:55 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    SillyLily
    Glad you're all back! I missed you!

Today I've

Made do - reused an old box / packing material to mail out a package. Used the front cover from an old journal to make a birthday card for a friend. I was going to buy her a card, but I couldn't find any I liked and therefore could not justify the price the shop was asking. I really like how my homemade card turned out!

Mended - sewed up a hole in a sweater, replaced a burned out light bulb

Minimized - finished up a bottle of vodka! only one drinks-worth was left in the HUGE bottle. Made some room in my cupboard. working on minimizing some hair conditioner I don't like. It was given to me by a friend that didn't like it either, but she knows I am frugal and would use it. I am alternating it with conditioner that I DO like to both use it up AND stretch out the bottle that I do like.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 15,753 Posts
    • 133,816 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums
    I am still trying to minimise the blooming pantone
    that my DGS g/f bought me for Christmas (I didn't open it until mid Jan and its still soft and edible ) I tried it with icing on top (wasn't keen ) then stuck some tinned fruit with it (made it Ok'ish but a bit soggy)Now I am just eating it with a dollop of custard on top and will probably use the rest to make trifle with. Blooming thing was BIG, weighed 1lb 10 ozs and there is onlyme to eat it as the DGS aren't keen

Started to make some Christmas knitted bells for a friend of mine who is a trustee in a small local charity. That's inbetween making the Linus Trust blankets, and also some baby blankets for the Making Miracles charity. The last lot of baby blnakets did very well and were all sold at £10.00 each which helped the charity no end as I had made 12.

Making do: with what I have in store foodwise and have only been shopping once this month, but I did have quite a few meals out with family etc as it was my birthday plus I had a couple of freebie meals with vouchers from local pub chains

Mended an old lamp that I fished out of the cupboard, it ony needed a new plug on it (reason why it had been shoved in the cupboard I think )

so quite happy with my MMM ing this week

cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year Three months totals £96.53 April £8.98 . this morning short shop was 5.62 only bought essentials
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,527Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin