PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Currently minimising 5 1/2 inches off the bottom of a friends curtains.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Happy New Year MMMers

Yesterday

Make do: I have made Brocolli Cream soup (Nigella), Onion Mush (Nigella) and chopped salad (Jamie), from veg in the fridge.

Mend: Finally finished cleaning the fridge, so is now back in place.

Minimise: I can see the bottom of two of the washing baskets, so finally minimising the washing pile. ....... I slowed down on the washing, before Xmas , thinking I will easily catch up in the hols. Unfortunately, there has been no drying!

Need to leap up and get on with stuff.......:)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Well done on fixing the shower bar stoke.

I've finished altering friends curtains, so doing a bit of crochet now, I've taken 10 balls of wool from my stash and am using them to make a Blanket I've already used up two balls.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 January 2018 at 8:06PM
    Well done on fixing the shower bar stoke.

I've finished altering friends curtains, so doing a bit of crochet now, I've taken 10 balls of wool from my stash and am using them to make a Blanket I've already used up two balls.

Do you knit your blanket as one piece or do you do squares and can I ask what pattern you use? stocking stitch, garter stitch or something else?
    Sorry to ask so many questions but I never have any success with blankets other than baby blankets.

Thanks for the anticipated response.

Mrs SD:)

P.S. read as knitting instead of crochet so please ignore me!!
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Mrs salad dodger. this blanket is crochet but I've knitted them in the past, usually I'll knit squares because I don't have needles long enough to do a complete blanket. A corner to corner works well with knitting. Basically cast on two increase one stitch at the beginning of every row till you get a triangle half the size of the square then you knit it a row for the centre after that knit 1 k2tog k it to the end of every row till you only have two left then k2 tog to finish. Make all your squares the same size till you have enough to make a blanket the size you want. I hope that makes sense.
    SPC~12 ot 124

• dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    dND - what a palaver! They can be soooo fussy. My DSis has two and they often eat better than she does or at least it seems like that.
    Wishing you success and maybe you can find someone local who could take it off your hands?

Mrs SD:)

But we love them dearly :D. So far, no-one I know will take the picked out feed off my hands - it may end up going out to feed the local wildlife. It seems many have tried it and none of their cats will eat it! And I too spnd more on cat food than my own :rotfl:
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    What brand is it?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good Morning chums and here in Kent its a sunny one ,but the forecast isn't good for later .

Today I shall be doing even more minimising of the clutter in my computer room I have got rid of bags to the CS and several large bags of shredded paperwork (yay the recycling chaps came this morning )so its starting to look a lot better.

DGD Holly has got my complete haul of crafting stuff to take to her school for the little ones to use up.

Once this room is done I then have to start on the spare room which has become a bit of a 'chuck it in until later ' room :)I am definitely on a roll this week.

Making do with food from the freezer and not going anywhere near a shop will help me carry on minimising .

No mending to do just yet ,but no doubt the decluttering will turn some up for me to do.
    Have a good day chums and keep warm and dry if you can

JackieO
  • jackie O, you seem to be doing well with decluttering. It's a great feeling isn't it.

I have minimised 2 bags of magazines, and a bag of crockery items, They'll be going to the chazzer today. Not all of them accept magazines, I was pleased to find one that does.

Also I've got a small bag of clothes that have hardly been worn, (too big and too small) so I'll take them to the Oxf*m boutique shop which is only a short bus ride away. Their prices are a bit higher than the usual charity shops, and some of the clothes are designer labels. Not that I buy those !

Take care folks
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    If you have any M&S clothes in your donation Scarlet don't forget to ask Oxf*m for a M&S voucher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure