Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,846Posts
    • 20,165Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018 1st Jan 18 at 5:13 PM
    Happy New Year and welcome to the 2018 Make do, Mend and Minimise thread

I love reading everyone's frugal tales and inventive ways of making do and can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £623.88 (72.9% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £437.85 (45.1% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 8/60
    Emergency fund - £67.75/£1000. Car fund - £200/£1000.
    Mini Targets in August
    Exercise target - 1/16. Groceries target £72.71/£200. NSD target 7/15.
Page 18
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 16th Jul 18, 4:12 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Mending/making: muslin face pads for toner out of old muslin cloths.

Minimised a bag of items to go to charity shop and a box of recycling.

Making do with food from stocks until I can go shopping at the end of the week.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club #26 £104
    August Grocery challenge £43/£200
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 10,244 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make Do: Eating from fridge, freezer & stores

Mend: Marbles put back as eyes in metal cat shaped ‘cat scarers’

Minimise: the old garden shed - dismantled & taken to Tip/Recycling Centre
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 18th Jul 18, 10:47 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,471 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Mend: dog cushion - yet again!
    Minimise: fell asleep on the sofa, woke up and found dogs had ripped mend open and stuffing all over the floor. Decided to throw cushion away and they can have old towels instead!
    Think this counts as 'make do' too
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC £259.17/ £250 ; August £130.47/£240
    Aug NSD target 6/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 5/11 Aug £1 a day £57.94/£31
    Cashback YTD £4.34- claims in for £38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC £8000 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4500 0% 18mnths
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 18th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 61,838 Thanks
    silvasava
    Make Do: Food from freezer & garden for meals

Mend: 4 pairs of cut off's shortened to the length I like. An old pair of cut off's into shorts

Minimised: Loganberry canes cut down and taken to tip
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 28th Jul 18, 2:56 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 6,905 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Minimise:
    Bank balance seriously reduced - but this was to pay for our annual holibobs, so worth it!

Bag of stuff taken to cs including a pair of pillow slips and a couple of ornaments, but mainly crafting items that have come as free gifts from magazines (cross-stitch kits that I'll never do in a million years, wooden knitting needles still in their packets and surplus to requirements, a row counter, a wooden shawl pin, bundles of lace and ribbon)

More white and cream crafting cotton unearthed from the stash and now being used to knit hm dishcloths.

Make do:
    A trawl through a kitchen cupboard revealed a large white melamine tray that I'd forgotten about - perfect as a tray to do jigsaw puzzles on and it will slide nicely under the sofa when not in use.

Mend:
    Nothing springs to mind but I'm sure there will be something, somewhere!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Aug £0/£175 and 0/35 NSDs (Jan-Jul £84.27 under budget)

• cafelady
    • By cafelady 29th Jul 18, 9:11 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    cafelady
    Hello, hope everyone's well. Here's what I've been up to...

Minimise: 4lb of last year's fruit from the freezer into jam. This has freed up some freezer space for this year's soft fruit.

Also minimised some wrinkly apples and some redcurrants still on the bush, into a cake.

And minimised a bag of clothes to the CS.

Making do: with mainly garden veg. We normally have a veg box but I've cancelled it for the summer. Getting salad leaves, radishes, cucumbers, courgettes and a few peas, mange tout and spring onions. Also got lots of rocket and red mustard leaves that grow wild in the garden.

Also making do with lots of reduced stuff from freezer I was lucky enough to pick up at various supermarkets. With two teenagers in the house it's amazing how much we get through so always on the lookout for a bargain!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 29th Jul 18, 9:48 AM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 61,838 Thanks
    silvasava
    Cafelady - that's what I'll be doing tomorrow! Lots of fruit from last year still in the freezer so needs to be turned into jams and anything else I can think of!
    Minimised some stuff to CS & managed to sell a bulky item that's been kept for Justin.
    Need to minimise some of my freezer stock so I can defrost one of them.
    No recent mending but made do with food from freezer for dinner last night - I am trying!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 29th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,471 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Had a busy day today, now it's not so hot

Mend: Sewed up my peg bag, which had split and rotted along the top - my fault for leaving it out on the line with the washing, too much sun (and the odd bit of rain)

Minimise: Turned the spare fridge freezer off again (we restarted it next weekend but it's broken and will only work on full setting and everything in the fridge was freezing and it was very heavy on the electricity

Make do: Made an apple and blackberry crumble and cooked an odd assortment of veg for lunch which there wasn't room to cram into the remaining freezer!
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC £259.17/ £250 ; August £130.47/£240
    Aug NSD target 6/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 5/11 Aug £1 a day £57.94/£31
    Cashback YTD £4.34- claims in for £38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC £8000 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4500 0% 18mnths
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 29th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 10,244 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make do: Hm Focaccia & foods from freezer & stocks

Mend: new battery in hall clock & darned a pair of DH’s socks

Minimise: Food packaging
    • Punkygoth
    • By Punkygoth 30th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Punkygoth
    Make do: Gradually using up freezer & stocks

Mend: Turned up DH suit trousers and dyed a pair of his shorts

Minimise: 3 black sacks for charity shop!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 31st Jul 18, 2:14 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 10,244 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make Do: Food from freezer, cupboards etc

Mend: DH mended the vacuum cleaner I broke

Minimise: day to day detritus only as my decluttering mojo has left the building
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 4th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Make Do: the dusty remains of my breakfast granola went into home-made flapjacks, lunch pitta's courtesy of the freezer

Mend: Summer maxi dress inherited from my mum now knee-length so I can stride purposefully in it and not feel I've been hobbled (spare material now a tie-belt for said dress and a soon-to-be headband backed with some spare denim)

Minimise: Slowly, slowly minimising the fabric stash. Found a nice dusky pink sari I'd forgotten I'd bought - been looking for some bordered fabric for a blouse, so this will save me £20-£30 on fabric.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 10,244 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make Do: Food in stores

Mend: My new oven gloves which I managed to burn a hole in - now darned but only after I burnt a finger

Minimise: A broken ice cube tray & lots of water as it is hot, hot, hot
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 7th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    Can I make do, mend & minimise this?

I wanted some shorts but haven't been able to find any, so I've made some! I haven't got a pattern for shorts, so I used a pattern for dungarees and adapted it, used fabric from my stash so minimised that!
    Saving for Christmas 2018 ~ £231.46/£365
    Wedding Fund £1500/£1500
    Car Fund £108.46/£5000 ~ Bank of Mum £5000/£5000 done
    DFW Nerd #1155
    LBM 25/2/09 Debt at highest £8,037.35 now £0
    Credit Card £2200/£2500
    • zebedy
    • By zebedy 7th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    zebedy
    Sounds like a great result! Well done
    MFW2015 number 101,
    target OP £5000, so far have OP'd £2250
    ---------
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 61,838 Thanks
    silvasava
    DH has a gippy tummy so on bread and water - he is improving though so -

I've minimised the last 6 pringles and an almond slice!

I mended a rollock on my dinghy - the cord had rotted so I replaced it

I made do with leftovers for my tea and minimise them as well!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 16,146 Posts
    • 137,473 Thanks
    JackieO
    Making do with what stuff I have in the fridge to use up before my holidays

Minimising some boucle wool to the CS as it was donated to me by my neighbour plus a few paperbacks

Mended ,stitched up an old towel cut into squares and hemmed as cleaning cloths ,far too far gone to use to dry with ,but recycled into cleaning cloths
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,361Posts Today

8,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin