Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,795Posts
    • 19,785Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018 1st Jan 18 at 5:13 PM
    Happy New Year and welcome to the 2018 Make do, Mend and Minimise thread

I love reading everyone's frugal tales and inventive ways of making do and can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 678.01 (70.6% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 471.72 (40.9% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 7/60
    Emergency fund - 50/1000. Car fund - 122/1000.
    Mini Targets in July
    Exercise target - 5/16. Groceries target 150.93/200. NSD target 5/13.
Page 14
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 13th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    HI,

Well, I'm definitely up for the 3 M's. so here's mine:

Make do - made Normandy pheasant for dinner - pheasant has been in the freezer for ages, and I'd forgotten about it - was going to be Pheasant Forestiere but didn't have any red wine, carrots or celery (can't stand celery anyway) so substituted cider, mushrooms and an apple.

Mend - an ongoing thing in my house. I've sorted out a jacket to fix and 2 blouses to repurpose, will do tonight as I watch TV

Minimise - I bit the bullet and filled 2 bags to go to the charity shop. Discovered stuff I didn't know I had, and can now actually move the hangers in my wardrobe!

Also repotted a sad chive plant got from the supermarket - reduced to 20p. Don't know if it will survive (I'm not exactly green-fingered), but it's got a better chance now than it did.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th May 18, 3:24 PM
    • 16,075 Posts
    • 136,673 Thanks
    JackieO
    HI,

Also repotted a sad chive plant got from the supermarket - reduced to 20p. Don't know if it will survive (I'm not exactly green-fingered), but it's got a better chance now than it did.
    Originally posted by Wraithlady
    I cut the chives off my plant and freeze in a small pot when its getting too big .My neighbour gave me a cutting in a pot and its kept me in chives for almost two years Geat in the wintertime just getting some out a snipping into casseroles or soups
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = 166.19.This is for food only
    &/6/18 first food shop this month 13.48
    • misstara
    • By misstara 14th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 19,785 Thanks
    misstara
    Hello all

Haven't posted for ages but been reading along

Recycling bin day tomorrow so went round the flat gathering all the papers and washed out containers. Really need to get into the habit of putting them out daily.

Made scones yesterday which used up some yoghurt which was almost past it. Had a tiny amount of cream left so whipped that up and had it with a scone and my mum's hm raspberry jam for pudding tonight. Rest of the scones have been frozen and then I'll take one out each day for work.

Gorgeous day here . Think tomorrow is going to be the same - I'm going to set the washing machine up so that I can hang the clothes out before I go to work.

Garden is coming on well - I've got rhubarb, onions and tatties growing. Really need to get some lettuce planted as it was really successful last year.
    Mini Targets in July
    • misstara
    • By misstara 15th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 19,785 Thanks
    misstara
    Got my washing up outside this morning and it was lovely and dry by the time I got home. So minimised the use of electricity - I've got a heated airer which apparently doesn't cost much to run but free is better!

Need to dig out my sewing kit because I found 2 buttons off the one of my dresses when I was emptying the washing machine. May have to go on a bit of a hunt as it's been a while since I mended anything and I can't remember where I've put it.

Currently minimising a bubble bath by using it as a shower gel. I got it a gift set for Christmas and don't have a bath, I figure it's all the same stuff anyway.
    Mini Targets in July
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 18th May 18, 12:36 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make do: Eating from fridge, freezer & stores

Mend: a foot on a cupboard

Minimise: A Large farmhouse & contents, a gite & contents & 3 acres of land

MrsSD
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 18th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 6,792 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I haven't posted here for ages but the MMMing continues chez nous.

Minimise: The unwanted items that I've been putting in the spare bedroom are getting out of hand now. The idea was to take them to the CS (I have a choice of 5 within walking distance) but, without a car, it would take me a month of Sundays. I've decided to phone one (or maybe a few) charities to see if I can book collection(s) to get rid of everything in one fell swoop.

Visit to dentist at the beginning of the week for annual check up and scale/polish minimised 50+ from my bank account.

Grouting between kitchen tiles has had a deep clean with Barkeeper's friend and an old toothbrush and now looks as good as new. Bathroom tiles are next on the hit list.

Make do: I've treated myself to two new sets of curtains for the living room (one summer, one winter) and have gone for eyelet tops as they're much easier to put up and take down - no faffing about with the header tape to make gathers. One pair of each new set are shorter than the old ones and I hadn't realised the nets would be too long for them so I got DH to lift the sewing machine onto the dining table for me and shortened them.

Mend: The battery in living room clock died today so that's been replaced and clock is happy again.

Tomorrow I shall be outside in the sun as I have several plant pots to empty and clean out ready for summer planting - I'm thinking geraniums as they're fairly easy to look after. And I need to tie a jasmine and a clematis onto their trellises - they've really suffered this year with the wind, snow and rain but seem to be recovering so it's worth doing.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    July 85.47/140 and 10/28 NSDs (Jan-Jun 68.59 under budget)

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 18th May 18, 9:11 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,648 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mrs SD - hope everything is sorted now & your DSis settled.
    I've been reading but only sporadic MMM ing. Bought a couple of dozen geraniums a few weeks ago in Morrys - planted them out yesterday in my front window boxes and wall baskets at the back. DH dug the rosemary out of a tub and planted it in the garden along with a sage. I now have two concrete tubs to get rid of. I'm trying to minimise the amount of tubs I have - they're very time consuming to water and I want to make the garden as low maintenance as I can but it's going to be a slow job.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 16,075 Posts
    • 136,673 Thanks
    JackieO
    MMM

Using food from freezer for dinner tonight probably some chicken with a salad

Mended a saucpan lid that the knob fell off ,just needed a new screw to tighten it up again

Minimised the revoliting stuff in the shower drain have been digging out hair and bits of soap from the trap

yuk a nasty but neccesery job god knows where it comes from as my hair is kept fairly short it was like a carpet down there
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th May 18, 12:37 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thanks silvasava - we head off on Wednesday morning & will be back at home by Thursday evening - then the Great French Adventure will be over & time to move on to the next chapter.

DSis is currently going through each room - making sure no rubbish & sweeping out & mopping all the floors. Various visits to cs, friends & officialdom to be done & a last visit to her son + a small shop & then last thing Tuesday pack up the car.

No cooking tomorrow as we have been invited to the farm for Sunday Lunch

MrsSD
    • dND
    • By dND 20th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    dND
    All the best MrsSD. I have a second Immo coming round on Tuesday so I will be pushing for that elusive sale. xx

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 20th May 18, 8:25 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    dND, my DSis went through at LEAST 8 & then it was a German Immo who sold the property to a couple from Paris Hope you 2nd Immo does the business I will be keeping everything crossed & sending you selling vibes

Make Do: food from the freezer which is being switched off tonight & cleaned tomorrow to be picked up Tuesday

Mend: nothing

Minimise: 6 dining chairs, 2 bedside cabinets & loads more rubbish/recycling & lots of dust

Yet another bank holiday tomorrow, so the last of the officialdom stuff will be done Tuesday & the last of the items that were sold will be picked up . We set off Wednesday a.m..

Good luck dND

MrsSD
    • dND
    • By dND 21st May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    dND
    Thank you Mrs SD and safe journey back to the UK. Deborah xx

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 21st May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,648 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hoping all goes well Mrs SD - at least you've got some fine dry weather too!
    Not much MMM going on here - I'll be minimising the washing basket and moving the dust. Need to check on freezer stock to see what I can use up there. I'm afraid I have a siege mentality where the freezer is concerned and end up stocking it with garden produce and not using it up! I am trying to improve so a bit more jam making is on the cards to make room for this years crop........
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • SillyLily
    • By SillyLily 22nd May 18, 5:25 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    SillyLily
    JackieO have you heard of the zip-it? It's a long barbed piece of plastic that you push down your drain and when you pull it out all the hair comes out with it. They are wonderful! And very inexpensive - I think mine was about $2. I've tried other brands/designs but this one is the best. Makes short work of a nasty job!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 16,075 Posts
    • 136,673 Thanks
    JackieO
    JackieO have you heard of the zip-it? It's a long barbed piece of plastic that you push down your drain and when you pull it out all the hair comes out with it. They are wonderful! And very inexpensive - I think mine was about $2. I've tried other brands/designs but this one is the best. Makes short work of a nasty job!
    Originally posted by SillyLily
    Wow sound brilliant where can you buy one I used an old crochet hook and found I had to spend about half an hour digging around

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 23rd May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 6,792 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Originally posted by SillyLily
    Sounds like DH's diy contraption (ie a wire coat hanger) for when the bathroom sink empties too slowly and emptying the trap doesn't solve the problem. The basin and bath outlet pipes go through the wall into the soil stack and, because of the stupid angle of the pipe, we get a build-up of soap scum and other gunk. He deals with it by removing the inspection panel in the airing cupboard, drills a small hole in the stack, inserts wire and, after a few pushes/pulls/wiggles, the gunk is released. Bit of sealant over hole and the job's done. It was a plumber who showed him this trick and it saves a fortune on plumbing bills.

All patio plant pots now sorted. Two emptied completely (bulbs had rotted), the OK ones with spring bulbs in have been moved to their summer resting place and two other large ones are ready for planting up this weekend.

Have minimised a pair of shoes (too flat for me) and two pairs of slippers (one pair very uncomfortable, the others worn out ) - shoes and one pair of slippers donated to Sally Army clothing bank and the worn out slippers binned.

Making do with sandals in place of slippers - why do shops assume you only buy them in winter?

A chicken carcass, along with oddments of fridge bottom veggies and broken pieces of pasta, has made 4 portions of soup.

Today I've had the freezer drawers out and sorted the contents (again ) into some kind of order. I must be getting better though as I didn't come across any UFOs and know exactly what's in there.

I've also washed all the walls and the ceiling in the bathroom and, by golly, it's made such a difference. I might give the ceiling a coat of paint but the walls are just fine. Unlike my knees that will be getting a good rest tonight.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 23rd May 18, 7:33 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,648 Thanks
    silvasava
    Make do: remainder of chicken cutlets with salad for tea.
    Mend: DgD's jeans - and turned them into 'fashionable' ripped shorts for a local music festival for her.
    Minimise: a top and a pair of sandals gone to the CS bag along with a new pair of jeggings for ragging. I'd sat on something and had a mark on the bum - I grabbed my spray bottle of diluted washing liquid to pre treat and then realised I'd picked up the kitchen cleaning spray that's got bleach in it!!!!! Too late, I did douse them with water but damage was done
    Yorkslass - clearing my pots and planters is on my list! I've about 5/6 that have got cyclamen , miniature darts and cyclamen in. Need to sort them out and put them to one side ready for next year. I've 3/4 really nice glazed ones that will look nice in a group near the house in the spring.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 26th May 18, 11:16 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make do: Cheesey beans on toast instead of making bolognese

Mend: button sewn back on trousers

Minimise: 90% of 6 week!!!8217;s post dealt with, recycled or shredded

Thanks again dND for all the encouragement & kind words

MrsSD
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 26th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 3,518 Posts
    • 32,207 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Have minimised a pair of shoes (too flat for me) and two pairs of slippers (one pair very uncomfortable, the others worn out ) - shoes and one pair of slippers donated to Sally Army clothing bank and the worn out slippers binned.

Making do with sandals in place of slippers - why do shops assume you only buy them in winter?
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Hmm what size do you take - I have just shoved an unworn pair of size 7's into a chazzer bag!
    V3ry - 389.60
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 27th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 6,792 Thanks
    YorksLass
    All patio plant pots now sorted. Two emptied completely (bulbs had rotted), the OK ones with spring bulbs in have been moved to their summer resting place and two other large ones are ready for planting up this weekend.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Large pots now planted up with salvia bedding plants - from the BP garage of all places! They look really healthy with good root systems and should make a lovely summer show. I've just prepared 5 hanging baskets for planting and I'm thinking geraniums for them. Once that's done I'll have minimised a 70L bag of compost. Strawberry plants all in bloom, so hoping for a decent crop of fruit if I can beat the slugs and snails to it.

Hmm what size do you take - I have just shoved an unworn pair of size 7's into a chazzer bag!
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    KW - I'm a size 5. The pair I donated were ballet style with elastic round the tops but they were very uncomfortable for my little fat feet!

Have also minimised my hair this week, very short (think Jamie Lee Curtis) and much needed.

Making do this week will be all meals coming from existing stocks in freezer, fridge and cupboards.

Mending - well, none to speak of but I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find some. Being outside in the lovely sunshine is winning though!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,296Posts Today

8,082Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin