Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,796Posts
    • 19,786Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018 1st Jan 18 at 5:13 PM
    Happy New Year and welcome to the 2018 Make do, Mend and Minimise thread

I love reading everyone's frugal tales and inventive ways of making do and can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £678.01 (70.6% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £471.72 (40.9% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 7/60
    Emergency fund - £50/£1000. Car fund - £122/£1000.
    Mini Targets in July
    Exercise target - 5/16. Groceries target £150.93/£200. NSD target 5/13.
Page 13
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,652 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mistara - advertise the wood on free cycle - someone will snatch it up for their wood burner and you won't need to do a tip run.
    Still making do with minimising my freezer stocks, they're going down slowly. I have finally finished making my sail cover - I also managed to make a tiller over from the offcuts. Oh a little mend was the foam insoles in a pair of moccasins I wear as slippers that kept ruckling up when I had bare feet - stuck them down with some spray glue - seems to have worked!
    A few jobs on the list to do - clean insides of windows and do some tidying and planting in the garden while the weather is good.
    Have a good day chums
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • celtic_moon
    • By celtic_moon 17th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    celtic_moon
    Phew!
    Well, managed to get the wardrobes sorted over the weekend. They are not groaning quite so much now 2 very large bags are waiting to go to the chairty shop

DH has drilled and measured up for shelving in my stock cupboard so we can see what we have. Found a couple of things I thought had been used and a number of things where we have used the newer ones first (doesn't bother me that much as it is mainly rice and tins) so we are hoping to get that finished soon.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 20th Apr 18, 8:52 AM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 15,895 Thanks
    villagelife
    Haven't posted for a while on here.

Make do - using up food from freezer and using last leeks from the garden.
    In the garden I have divided plants and filling up bare areas of ground.

Mend - sewn on a couple of buttons .
    Mended a trowel. The handle now doesn't fall off.

Minimise - books, clothes, magazines and various rubbish has left the house.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 29th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 19,786 Thanks
    misstara
    Mistara - advertise the wood on free cycle - someone will snatch it up for their wood burner and you won't need to do a tip run.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Thanks for the tip silvasava - my neighbour asked me what I was planning to do with the wood as someone she knew wanted it. I came home from work the next day and it was all gone

Planted the onions and potatoes. There's a couple of tiny shoots poking up through the soil where I planted the onions. I also planted some garlic. Still to plant the bulbs that my neighbour gave me, also going to plant lettuce, carrots and broccoli.

Need to look at ways of minimising our food bill as I feel like we spend far too much. Going to sit down with OH later and make a meal plan.

Not much else to report, work has pretty much taken over my life at the moment and any free time I've got, I'm trying to use to train towards a 26 mile charity walk. It seemed like a good idea at the time . Hope you're all having a good weekend.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £678.01 (70.6% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £471.72 (40.9% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 7/60
    Emergency fund - £50/£1000. Car fund - £122/£1000.
    Mini Targets in July
    Exercise target - 5/16. Groceries target £150.93/£200. NSD target 5/13.
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 29th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Mended bathroom plug and my tea strainer both had come loose from its hinges. Also mended three solar lights but I!!!8217;ve had to throw one away as it was beyond help. Did keep the mosaic holder and stick in case one of the others broke.

Minimised a box of ornaments that I was gifted but never really liked. So I will drop off next week to chazza along with some books.

Made do with food from freezer for lunch and dinner tonight. Trying to use up the odds and ends of food.

Herbs are now planted and doing well on balcony and in my mums garden so I will be able to use them to make things. Mostly room sprays, lavender pouches and oils for gifts. Most of the herbs were cuttings so only cost £5.00 for the oregano, sage and the compost.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club #26 £104
    July Grocery challenge £48/£200
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 30th Apr 18, 9:17 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,652 Thanks
    silvasava
    Planning to sort out my tub I've been using for herbs. It's not really been successful as it's concrete and dries out too much. I've bought some basil to repot and keep indoors and some flat leaf parsley for outside. Just need some chives now. I buy them in the SM as they are cheaper than the garden centre. I'll also buy some living lettuce next time I see some to replant - it keeps us going for at least a couple of months.
    Altered a dress for DGD - she's on holiday tomorrow so will collect later today. There's a couple of small mending jobs and then I can pack all my sewing stuff away.
    No particular minimising at the moment though.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 30th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 15,895 Thanks
    villagelife
    Loads of minimizing being done here. Loads of garden rubbish including metal, cement and glass rubbish that had been buried by previous owner.
    Also a briefcase which I finally convinced DH that he didn't need any more. He hasn't used it since 2003.

Mend the handle on the shower door.

Make do. Reusing old plant pots. I know that they are plastic but am using them when slightly broken. The seedlings don't mind.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 2nd May 18, 11:25 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 9,213 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make do - Food from the French fridge/freezer & store cupboard

Mend - nothing

Minimise - probably around 50 black bin bags, loads of furniture both large & small, house wares etc etc etc

MrsSD
    • cafelady
    • By cafelady 3rd May 18, 8:22 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    cafelady
    Have been having a major clear out of 20 odd years of family detritus. I treated myself to a skip for Easter instead of an egg, and we filled it with garden rubbish, old, broken stuff from the loft, shed and garage.

Also recycled about three boxes of paper, took about three sacks to the charity shop, gave some dog stuff and jam jars away on freegle, gave some stuff to a teacher friend for their school fair, sold a box of books to musicMagpie and have another to send, and have around another five sacks and a small table for the charity shop!

Still loads to clear and sort, but made a good start!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 3rd May 18, 8:25 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,652 Thanks
    silvasava
    DH came out to give me a hand in the garden - he sorted all he empty plastic compost bags and got rid of the too small ones ( he keeps them for ash and wood chippings that are passed on) Lots of clearing and planting done but lots more to do.
    He also minimised the ironing basket and put some eyelets in a canvas bag I'd made for my boat.
    Mnmised freezer stocks for tea - a good joint effort on the MMM front!
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 3rd May 18, 9:02 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Minimised three large boxes of old paperwork, one box of stuff for charity shop. Mended my bathroom door handle after it fell off in my hands. Im going to get some different screws for it, as every week the blooming handle comes off the door. I know Im heavy handed but Im sure its a dodgy handle. Made do with stocks from freezer.

IVe got an elderly neighbour who wants to spruce her garden up so Im going to take cuttings for her so she doesnt need to spend much money.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club #26 £104
    July Grocery challenge £48/£200
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 802 Posts
    • 9,213 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi from wet miserably cold SW France

Make do - eating from freezer & larder stocks

Mend - kitchen cupboard door & chairs for new owners

Minimise - still decluttering/selling/donating - today large black bin bag of rubbish, bag of books to Tip, bag of glass to Bottle Bank, box of toys to Drs surgery

MrsSD
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th May 18, 5:55 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,652 Thanks
    silvasava

Mend - kitchen cupboard door & chairs for new owners

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Did I miss a post? Have you finally sold your house? Are you coming back here? Where? When?
    We need details mrsSD!!!

Make do: used some leftover turkey bits for fajitas for tea tonight
    Mend: not sure - been doing lots of jobs but not sure if any of them are a mend!
    Minimise: the turkey from the freezer! I've also been cleaning the bilges on my boat - so many bits from the previous owner were kept for Justin but I'm gradually sorting them out and throwing most of it away as it's either too old or died in storage!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 9,213 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    silvasava, happy to oblige

The farmhouse in SW France was DM & DFís retirement dream & they moved from Reading in 1992. Had an old attached barn converted into a 4 bedroom gite & started it as a business. The Ďdreamí lasted until January 1996 when after a bad divorce DSis moved in with her 5 year old son with attendant grandparent duties Sadly, DF passed away in 2007 & DM passed away just under a year later but DSis & DNeph stayed. (DH & I actually live in London)
    DNeph moved out & DSis was left on her own in a large house that eats money It has taken 8 years to sell & DH & I I have been helping her out financially & physically - 4 visits last year from two to four weeks at a time & this time around it will be over five weeks

DH & I have enjoyed 25 years of relatively cheap holidays, made lovely memories & some good friends but not really improved our French beacause every one wants to practise their English

MrsSD
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,652 Thanks
    silvasava
    Ah - I remember you saying about trying to sell but thought you were living there. Pleased you've finally got a buyer and got things sorted. That's a major minimise!!!
    Hope everything goes well for you & DSis.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 9,213 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thanks silvasava I forgot to include the house/gite/land sale on the Decluttering Thread

MrsSD
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th May 18, 7:54 AM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 15,895 Thanks
    villagelife
    I have been busy minimizing. DVD's and craft stuff have been taken to charity shop.
    In the garden I have cleared a couple of areas of weeds. The slugs have minimised the seedlings I've wanted too!!

I fixed a photo frame. The front had come off ages ago but is now fixed. It only took me about 10 minutes. I'm not sure why it's taken me a couple of years to do it.

Make do with the clothes I have. I'm determined to lose weight. I have enough clothes.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th May 18, 8:30 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,652 Thanks
    silvasava
    Talking to a friend a few days ago who works full time. She'd taken Tuesday off to clear some jobs & we were discussing how the niggling thoughts of jobs waiting to be done often takes more time than actually getting them done! She'd expected hers to take most of the day and she finished by 11!
    Reminder - the thought of cleaning inside my windows has taken weeks..........slinks away.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th May 18, 9:53 AM
    • 16,076 Posts
    • 136,695 Thanks
    JackieO
    Mended : this morning found a clock in the spare room replaced the battery in it as it was dead now ticking away very well.

Minimised ; Said spare room of loads of stuff to make room for my sis-in-laws visit in a fortnight (bed had lots of stuff dumped on top ) my bad

Make do ; using up frozen pastry bits today to make a quiche, and also baking a fruit cake, some chocolate chip cookies , and probably some cherry scones to use up some of the 4 tubs of glace cherries I seem to have accumulated in the cupboard. I will also be filling my oven up with said cooking so no wasted oven space

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19.This is for food only
    &/6/18 first food shop this month £13.48
    • cafelady
    • By cafelady 12th May 18, 5:45 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    cafelady
    Hello all

Minimised a packet of Vietnamese rice wrappers by giving them away on Olio last weekend.

Then yesterday, minimised a quarter loaf of unsliced bread which weekend visitors had brought to our house. DH wanted to sling it as it was getting stale but I made it into garlic croutons which 3 of them then had in a YS lentil and veg M&S soup I got for 40p. About 15p a head for lunch!

Then minimised some leftover hummus which same visitors had bought into todayís lunch.

Am about to make do with using leftover cream cheese into pasta for dinner instead of buying creme fraiche. Also adding some smoked salmon lurking in the freezer, and a small bag of spinach I must have blanched and frozen, when we didnít get round to having it in salad. So, more minimising and making do there.

Mend - we replaced some horrible raised beds made from concrete roof tiles with one made from my sonís old single bed, which wasnít fit to pass onto anyone. And we made a path around the new raised bed with nice old roof tiles that someone gave me a while ago and which have been cluttering up the garage for ages.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

357Posts Today

4,824Users online

Martin's Twitter