Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,730Posts
    • 19,328Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018 1st Jan 18 at 5:13 PM
    Happy New Year and welcome to the 2018 Make do, Mend and Minimise thread

I love reading everyone's frugal tales and inventive ways of making do and can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £804.26 (65.1% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £542.46 (32% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £36/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in May
    Exercise target - 11/16. Groceries target £188.17/£200. NSD target 12/19.
Page 10
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 2nd Mar 18, 2:24 AM
    • 643 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the tips & welcome newbies - I aspire to be like zebedy

Make do - used up last egg, lo swede & potato mash, last tblsp vegetable oil, half my portobello mushrooms, a quarter of a yellow sweet pepper for dinner + cheese & pickle sandwiches using hm bread.

Mend - Father Christmas ornament has had it’s fastening pin glued back on - now in cs bag

Minimise - The three foot high pile of ironing down to zero & it is all folded Kondo style & put away. (The ironing board is also put away) + still decluttering - good stuff to cs (don’t do fleabay etc), recycling as much as possible, binning the rest or taking to the Tip. Paint is also being minimised out of the pots onto the walls, ceilings etc courtesy of DH

The Beast from the East has delayed the large items from leaving the house But everything should be gone by the 21st - knackered sofa, 10 year old mattress, broken office chair, 3 small fence panels + 3 Large Rag bags, large bag of clothes, 50 CDs in two racks with accompanying literature, 30+ books.

Getting there slowly but surely

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 15,896 Posts
    • 134,740 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning chums and I'm still stuck indoors because of the blessed white stuff, but have been a busy bee none the less.

Made 15 small knitted Christmas bell ornaments, five red, five pink and five blue for my friend Ruth's charity 'Making Miracles' Its for still born and babies that just never made it.

The charity is a tiny local one which supports Mums and families through their loss and the little Christmas bells are for those who will put a bell on their tree to remember the little one at Christmas.

Locally in Rochester we have the Christmas Dickins festival at the beginning of December, and last Christmas they raised over £1500 for the charity with sales of knitted stuff etc.

I supplied 12 blankets for babies that helped to raise £120. I have so far knitted another two blankets and have another two in the pipeline, but the little tree bells look really nice and are so easy to make.

We have an event in September called The Big Knit in Rochester Cathedral which brings ladies in from all over Kent to knit 6" squares which I will then, with the help of the others, sew together and edge and turn into more baby blankets. Last year in two hours we had over three hundred squares knitted Lots of knitting nattering and tea drinking was had by all.

Making Do : with what ever I have indoors as I can't get out at the moment because of the blooming white stuff Grrr

Mend; fixed a couple of screw hooks up in the kitchen for some tea towels and sewed some tags onto said tea towels so they can be hung up out of the way.

I'll be glad when this bad weather has gone though as I am not used to being housebound, and really dislike it ,even though I have got lots of things done indoors

Have a good day chums and keep warm and dry if you can

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • janb5
    • By janb5 2nd Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 6,559 Thanks
    janb5
    Minimized a large roll of bubble wrap that was kindly donated for me to wrap things sold on Ebay. Far more than I could use so donated to our Mission C/S who will definitely use it.

Scraped the paths of my neighbours ( is that minimizing!) but is a thankless task as it is snowing again)
    • Minihauk
    • By Minihauk 2nd Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    Minihauk
    Savingpennies - thanks for the masking tape tip! Fed up trying to get white board felt tip off my containers!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Permanent marker comes off with hairspray Silvasava. Give it a spray and wipe off - simple.

Hello all. I've followed you all for ages but never seem to have anything to add to your wisdom
    • Paulien
    • By Paulien 2nd Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Paulien
    Reuse your shower scrunchie/mesh sponge
    Don't throw away your old shower mesh sponge (shower scrunchie/body ball) when it starts to unravel! Use it to clean your alloy wheels - gets round corners and into uneven surfaces and the mild abrasion gets the dirt off!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 2nd Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Yorklass - there is a free security programme called Avast that you can download - they are reputable (been going for years) they do upgrades and add one's for a small fee if you want but I've just been in sing the free basic for about 5 years and its been fine.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Not heard of this one and just googled it for customer reviews on Trustpilot. It seems to come out well with 4/5 but there were some worrying ones too. Think I'll stick with the one I have but thanks anyway. BTW, still waiting for it to arrive - I hope Mr Postie isn't buried somewhere in a snowdrift!

A friend passed on her tip of using egg shells. Wash them carefully and leave to dry( last bit`s important as if they are` wet`, it just goes `soggy`- don`t ask me how I know!) The either crush with rolling pin or processor and put in large jar ready as a slug deterrent.
    Originally posted by janb5
    I do this too and it does help to keep the pesky varmints at bay.

Have now finished sewing up DH's knit so that's another one off the "waiting to be sewn up pile". Not sure how many more there are to go so I'll just keep plugging away while the sewing mojo is upon me.

Making do with food stocks is the order of the day for now and maybe for some time come, if the weather forecast is to be believed. I'm more than happy to be indoors when it's cold perishing outside and can always find ways of occupying my time.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    May £130.30/£175.00 NSDs144/35 (Jan-Apr £66.88 under budget)

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 3rd Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 35,632 Thanks
    dolly84
    JackieO - your knitting groups sound like just the type of old fashioned loveliness that I would enjoy if I could knit.

Minihauk - do join in with us, I am sure you have lots more useful things to contribute.

Paulien - excellent idea, I use them to clean the sink in the bathroom when they are old and it works a treat.

Decorated DD's room this week and now have a car boot full of stuff to donate plus a lot that went in the recycling (paper from school mainly) we have been bringing bag after bag of stuff from her room for weeks now and I just can't believe how much she has.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 3rd Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Minimised some clothes, books, and costume jewellery to a local Age UK cs today. I'd originally put it all on ebay/gumtree/preloved a couple of weeks ago but no takers, and it actually felt better to be giving it all to charity in the end

Making do - I meal-prepped next month's lunches and used a cooking sauce but put too much in, so I'll be able to use the excess for our tea tonight and I might convince hubby to have some more with our dinner tomorrow

No mending...one day something will warrant it!
    My debt-free diary
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 3rd Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 6,241 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Don't throw away your old shower mesh sponge (shower scrunchie/body ball) when it starts to unravel! Use it to clean your alloy wheels - gets round corners and into uneven surfaces and the mild abrasion gets the dirt off!
    Originally posted by Paulien
    I use the nylon nets that onions etc come in to make scrubbers for the kitchen and bathroom. Cut off the metal ties at the ends, tie a knot in one end and turn inside out (so the knot is inside). Fill with more nets as/when you get them and, when full, finish off with a knot at the open end. A free and easy make do.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    May £130.30/£175.00 NSDs144/35 (Jan-Apr £66.88 under budget)

• Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 4th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 18,623 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Make do / minimise: yesterday, I made vegetable soup from a powder packet bbd Dec 2016, a quarter of an almost soft red pepper, 2 soft celery sticks, a carrot, a quarter of a tomato and half an onion. I also added 2 handfuls of (bought, freezerdwelling) soup balls. It was delish! It fed 3 children and me for lunch and I will take the last bit to work tomorrow. I served it with some small rolls from the freezer; I had wombled those from a company lunch last year and froze them.
    ETA: I threw in 1 lump of frozen spinach. I bought and tried this frozen spinach last year, but it's weirdly sweet, so I will not eat it as spinach. I am now using it up 1 lump at a time in soups and sauces

Tonight we are having broccoli-salmon pie, from a shopbought crust, a shopbought broccoli (including peeled and chopped up stalk), the other half of the onion, the last quarter of the sad pepper, the last bit of cream cheese, a packet of wombled soya cream, a packet of smoked salmon that I realised would not get eaten on time on sandwiches, grated posh sheep cheese (wombled from a compny lunch last year, grated and frozen in small portions), and some sunflower seeds.
    Last edited by Siebrie; 05-03-2018 at 3:50 PM.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 508,05 = £ 443.74
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 6th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 18,623 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Last night I made a chocolate pudding from a powder sachet and half a litre of cold milk; sachet bbd was Dec 2017. We had half last night for dessert, DDs loved it, and we'll have the other half tonight.

Planned for tomorrow: semoulina, with a bbd of Feb18.
    • skintmumof3
    • By skintmumof3 6th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    skintmumof3
    shower scrunchie........
    Also...unravel them and cover strawberry and raspberry plants to deter the birds from eating the fruits..........................
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 7th Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 18,623 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Mended: 1pair of leggings, 1 pair of tights, 2 pyjama jackets. They had small holes from: overstretching, touching a bit of wood, touching the bathroom lock, and faulty sewing of a label.
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 7th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    crazytree
    Have thrown away my old work jeans and some joggers so I needed some more trousers! Went into Pr#mark to buy some new jeans but they didn t have my size in any that weren t pre ripped. I ended up buying two better quality pairs in a charity shop for £5. Half the price of one pair from Pr#mark!!!!!

I am amazed that the spring onions and parsley in the garden that survived from last summer have also survived the snow! I shall keep using them while I plan what to grow this year!

Planning on using my day off today to make a Mothers Day card. I've still loads of craft materials left to use up. No idea about presents though. Mum has been on a diet since 1978, got jewellery for Christmas, and toiletries for her last birthday!!! She is also out of the country for a few weeks around the day itself.

I am also going to spend half an hour removing the obvious junk from the spare rooms and if it stops raining take a bag to the charity shop. I've left the decluttering for ages and I need to start making some progress now that my motivation has come back.

Tx
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 59,399 Thanks
    silvasava
    Slowly making do and minimising freezer stocks.- no mend but finished sewing the Dodgers for my boat after getting my sewing machine repaired.
    I've got a lot of mending and minimising to do in the garden though! Supports for my blackberry and loganberries has taken a battering so need to sort them and give them a feed and start planning the veg growing!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • skintmumof3
    • By skintmumof3 7th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    skintmumof3
    Old reed diffuser
    I refilled an empty reed diffuser with some cheap unwanted aftershave......
    Its really effective and the porch now smells lovely
    hth
    x
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 8th Mar 18, 5:03 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Not sure if I already posted about this. but we minimised a lot of hubby's clothes at the weekend so they can go to the cs.

Make do - for dinner yesterday I used some tuna steaks which have been in the freezer for months and months, leftover mushroom sauce as I'd used too much for the batch-cooked lunches I'd done last weekend, and leftover mashed potato from a dinner earlier in the week. A very money saving dinner!
    My debt-free diary
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 59,399 Thanks
    silvasava
    Made fajitas for dinner last night with chicken from freezer. DH did too many potatoes the night before so I mashed the leftovers and added some diced onion from freezer and a tin of corned beef cut in cubes. It made two dishes for us & I topped it with some grated cheese. They will be handy for a quick meal. Admin to do today and a pair of DH's overalls on the mending pile.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 8th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    crazytree
    What are Dodgers please Silvasava?
    I've got loads to do in the garden too, it was easier to ignore when it was covered with snow!
    Tx
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 8th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Skint mum: you can also make your own reed diffusers and upcycle old glass jars with narrow openings. You just need distilled water, vodka or jojoba or almond oil, essential oils and rattan sticks. if ever I get some perfume as a gift and don't like wearing it I put some reed sticks into the bottle and use as a reed diffuser, I hate waste.

mended two necklaces as the clasps had come loose. minimised three bags to the charity shop, a bag of recycling and two cardboard boxes that were too big to reuse. Making do with food from the freezer using odds and ends. It annoys me when someone else opens a bag of chips even though there is one already just opened a few days before.

Community bingo tomorrow £3.30 for 14 games and passes 2 1/2 hours and you also get a free tea or coffee and biscuits with sometimes a cake. A few more free events have been organised by the committee: weekly tai chi classes, monthly choir, quiz night, games night, coffee morning 30p for a cup of tea or 35p for coffee with free biscuits, photography class, easter egg raffle with free refreshments. So a fair few activities that are free which will save me some money.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,101Posts Today

6,615Users online

Martin's Twitter