Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • tigerspill
    • By tigerspill 1st Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 301Posts
    • 108Thanks
    SP Question
    • #1
    • 1st Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    SP Question 1st Jan 18 at 3:03 PM
    I was wondering how much of the year you need to work to qualify for a full year of State Pension?

    Also If I retire before getting the full 35 years, am I able to buy remaining years - I am in normal employment if that makes any difference?

Page 2
    • KarriNut
    • By KarriNut 12th Jan 18, 11:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks

    I have also been talking to the contributions people this week. My questions were very similar, How my husband could pay class 3 contributions was the primary issue. At the end of my conversation I asked a "oh by the way" query, should I have been paying class 2 for x years since I moved to salaried employment from self employment? My only other income is from a single rental property. The lady confirmed I should. My tax return is submitted by an accountant (another hangover from self employment).
    So my accountant and the NI people agree I should pay class 2 on a small profit from a single rental property.
    • drumtochty
    • By drumtochty 13th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    To pay Class 2 as you say you must add the self employed page to your online self assessment tax return and fill that in and tick the box you want to pay Class 2 NI contributions.

    You also have to be registered as self employed with HMRC and to pay Class 2 NI you have to be registered by early October of the first tax year you want to pay Class2 contributions.

    Therefore for the 2017 2018 tax year you have to register by early October 2017. I may be wrong on this but that is my reading of HMRC guidance and if you and your wife have not already done this you may well not be able to pay Class 2 for this tax year. Only the next tax year.

    I believe just being self employed is not enough you have to register to get the Class 2 advantage.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 13th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Dazed and confused

    This seems like something you need to discuss with your accountant. You are paying for their professional advice so you need to establish if they have actually been declaring your rental income as self employment (unlikely imho) or as rental income, which i don't think entitles you to pay class 2 NI.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

  • Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa?

  • Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t?

  • Follow Martin