Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 10,075Posts
    • 62,913Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all !!!8220;Happy New Year!!!8221;.

Let!!!8217;s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don!!!8217;t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn!!!8217;t lie and I couldn!!!8217;t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don!!!8217;t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don!!!8217;t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending !!!8220;to do list!!!8221;.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to !!!8220;do something!!!8221;. I wasn!!!8217;t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of !!!8220;Frumpdom!!!8221; has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has !!!8220;let herself go!!!8221;. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here!!!8217;s the good news .......it!!!8217;s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don!!!8217;t judge anyone here, we don!!!8217;t get into futile pointless arguments, we don!!!8217;t make nasty comments, we don!!!8217;t indulge in sarcasm, we don!!!8217;t bully others, we don!!!8217;t play mind games and we don!!!8217;t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let!!!8217;s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don!!!8217;t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That!!!8217;s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It!!!8217;s the first step on your journey.

Right I!!!8217;m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 7
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 8,439 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I went to see the Alexander Hawkins, Elaine Mitchener Quartet at King's Place in King's Cross. They were a jazz ensemble. I had a great night out. Alexander was the pianist and Elaine was the vocalist, then we had a drummer and a double bass player. They were all very talented. It was a 2 hour show with a 15 minute interval. I had a free ticket for this event.

I wore a M & S pink heatgen long sleeved t-shirt with a round neck black cotton cardigan with a black pull on paneled skirt. I wore my Clarks black leather ankle boots, black leather M & S gloves, a black acrylic scarf and my black faux fur trimmed hat. I wore solid silver jewellery with my stainless silver and diamond Ingersoll watch. I was carrying my new black Osprey leather bag, which was a Christmas present from one of my sisters. I layered my perfume with the matching body powder, but I did not bother to wear any make up.

I hope all of you ladies who are having Flu symptoms are starting to feel a lot better by now.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 13th Jan 18, 7:59 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 9,389 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    I'm glad you had a good evening sugarbaby, your outfit sounds very glamorous
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 32,044 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hi, wishing everyone a great weekend, so dull, foggy and dank the last few days, but have fairy lights in the fireplace and T lights to brighten things up too.

The nasty cold virus has left me with blocked sinuses and I have been having dizzy spells, I have tried various remedies and they do help, but when I had a hospital visit on Thursday my BP was stupidly high, even allowing for it being a new condition, consultant etc, when 2 weeks ago it had been great as usual, so stopped taking the decongestant tablets as it seems to be a listed side effect Hopefully it will pass soon, as it is a little disconcerting and I have to remember to keep my head up when I bend down

The fabbing is going O.K., but I find it difficult to keep on top of everything at the same time, so my hands and nails are not in good condition ATM, I have loads of creams and oils, so no excuse

Sugarbaby - I love hearing about your visits to cinema, musical events etc, so too with Indiepanda, hope that you manage to fix another date with Mr Thursday too.

I am planning a day at home, catch up with some of the housework and perhaps try and clear some of the clutter that is bugging me, I either have a lack of storage space or too many possessions and so badly need to move the clutter, I am sure that clear spaces will help clear my mind too. Oh forgot to say Indie that my Dr Chatterjee book has arrived and I need to make some more time today to read it.

Hoping that LL is having a great time and meeting lots of fun and interesting people too, OH and I keep talking about having some winter holidays, but never seem to get around to it, but having said that we spent 45 nights away in out caravan in beautiful Great Britain last year and can't do everything
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    Sashybo - I had a quick look at the yoga videos and the I am definitely going to give the beginners one a go
    Originally posted by sukeyboo
    Glad to hear it sukeyboo, I hope you enjoy it.

Speaking of yoga I had a night off last night so will get back to it tonight. My twin nieces who are 9 are coming over tonight so might get them to do it with me.

Yesterday I was out & about with DS so made sure I put make up on before going out. My minimum is generally CC cream, concealer, eyebrow powder & wax, blusher & powder over the top.

My mum & sister both had semi-permanent brows done last year & I quite fancy getting it done too as I feel like my face looks so much better if my eyebrows are nice. I have over plucked a bit so have some baldy patches & need a slight re-shaping but nothing too dramatic. My mum & sisterís eyebrows look nice & natural so thinking about it. It costs £175 & then a yearly top up is needed as itís a semi-permanent tattoo. My mum & sister had theirís done whilst I was pregnant which is why I couldnít get it done at that point. Would need to save up anyway as on SMP just now. Will have a think.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,617 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £51,528
    Loan £2095.14, CC 0% BT £985, Car loans £22,206.11

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 10,075 Posts
    • 62,913 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies. Time for a quick catch up.

Here I am sat outside a cafe in Funchal Madeira, having polished off a plate of grilled sardines. Weather is a lovely mild 20 degrees.

The bay of biscay was a bit rough. I did have a fall but no broken bones unlike some of my less fortunate passengers, several of whom had to be flown up with various broken bones, fractures.

Keep up the exercise ladies, keep those bones strong.......

Having lots of fun. Mary is a great travelling companion. Lots of giggling in the cabin, midnight cups of tea and snacks.......like schoolgirls sharing a dorm.......

Cape Verde next then out across the Atlantic to Brazil. Canít believe thatís one week down already.

Doing lots of people watching......without sounding too horrible you do see some sights. I think I need to direct some of them to this site.......

Not met any nice single men so far but couldnít care less. Thatís nit what Iím here for.

Anyway hope you are all well. Will be in touch when I can.

Keeeeeep fabbing.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    Glad youíre having fun LL I loved Madeira when we had a holiday there a few years ago, beautiful place & friendly people. There was a place that had lots of different gins & an all you can eat seafood/sushi platter - they would just keep bringing it out until youíd had enough.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• maman
    • By maman 13th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    Just called by for a catch up. I've been a bit off colour for a few days (much better now) so haven't felt like posting. It's been great to hear all your news.

Sorry can't remember all the interesting subjects brought up.

Good to know you're having a good time LL. What a shame some people broke bones.

I know I want to see the new film about Churchill so I'll be pleased to hear what you think ellsbel.

Glad you liked Mr Thursday indie.

I used to regularly use Just Jane in Salisbury for bras sukey but more recently there's an independent department store in Romsey that is good. What I tend to do is get measured and buy one bra then keep a regular look out for that size in TKMaxx but you have to try them on.

I should have started back dancing this week but didn't feel up to it. Other than the odd walk that means so real exercise since before Christmas. I should be fine for this week though. I've had more than a week back on healthy eating too so I'm feeling quite slim.

I didn't see that programme but I will take a look at the moisturisers. My favourite is Benefit Total Moisture but it is quite pricey so I'd like to experiment with Nivea as an alternative. I can always use it up on my feet if it doesn't agree with me.

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 14th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 9,389 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Had a bath and did my hair in curls again, put on a new dress, make up and perfume. DD painted her nails last night for the first time in months, I think the fabbing is catching
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,562 Thanks
    chanie
    Well done candy dandy

Maman pleased you are on the mend.
    Good idea to look for bras in tK maxx, I!!!8217;ve never considered looking there for bras.

Ll sounds nds like you are having a wonderful time. long may it last.

Maddie I hope you are feeling better.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £510.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Ellsbel
    • By Ellsbel 15th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    Ellsbel
    Hi everyone.
    Good to hear from you *LL*, you seem to be having a lovely time.
    *Maman* hope youíre feeling much better this week.
    Darkest Hour is definitely worth seeing; Gary Oldman gives a superb performance, and the make-up/prosthetics used to make him look the part are amazing.
    The Movie itself is watchable but felt a little too dramatically embellished in places - one scene in particular Iím thinking of that Iím sure didnít happen and I donít think was needed to reinforce the gravity of the situation- but yes: worth going to see.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for the film review ellsbel. I'll definitely try to get to see it. Glad you enjoyed it. I've seen a few period drama things lately (Mountbatten and Victoria & Abdul) where I'm sure there was a lot of poetic licence.

Evenings are busy this week until Friday. Tonight we're going to look round a new local theatre that opens next month. We last saw it as a building site so it'll be interesting to see the facilities. Then I'm dancing for 2 evenings, then meeting friends on Thursday part work/part social. None of these are really dress up events but smart casual and a mixture of jeans and skirts as I don't like wearing trousers for dancing.

Today I've got quite a few work papers to read and any spare time I've decided to start (again) working round the house decluttering/tidying/taking stock as I go. I started the bathroom yesterday so the next task is to go through all the potions and lotions I keep there. While I've never joined the 'using up' thread, that's my plan. My aim is to just have products I love but the mse in me makes me use up the rest first.
    • Butterfliesarepretty
    • By Butterfliesarepretty 15th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    Butterfliesarepretty
    Hi all,

Im just about recovered from the cold but didnt go in work today as Im still coughing. Using the time to find and apply for part time accounts roles. At boundary mill I got two items for my husband (as he never buys himself clothes he needs) and a monsoon woollen jumper dress for £32 down from £65 for myself. They also sell Isle Clothing there and I quite like it (sort of scottish countrywear) but I said to my husband it would be a mistake to buy and wear to much of it as I would look a bit TWEE. In other words dont want to look 60 when Im only 50 lol.

So im in work tomorrow and wednesday. The plasterer is coming thursday to do one of our bedroom ceilings,then I can really start decorating and finishing the second bedroom and putting a secondhand trundle sofa/bed in and some bedside drawers and the asda stag lamp I bought. Then I can start on our bedroom.
    Mx5 Owner
    Temp Worker

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 8,439 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I signed up to Vue Piccadilly online last week so that I could get a code for their Super Monday offer which means on Mondays I can buy an adult ticket for only £4.99. I went to see The Greatest Showman and had such a fantastic time. It is a real visual and musical treat. I would give this film 10/10. I could not recommend it enough. Even people who do not usually enjoy a musical should find something to enjoy. I am planning to see The Darkest Hour next week Monday, so thanks for the recommendation Ellsbel.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 15th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    Have continued on with my yoga after a break on Friday night. The last two nights have been quite hard going and my obliques are killing me. I find I have very little strength in my abdomen at all since having DS, although it is slowly getting better. My stomach felt like jelly at first and I could hardly sit upright properly between that and my dodgy pelvis. I feel so much better now with a combination of time, yoga and my chiropractor, although my yoga has been a bit neglected for the last few months.

The weather is so horrible - cold & wet - that I'm finding it hard to make myself leave the house. I know I need to go out walking with DS in the pram more often as it's good for him and he enjoys looking at everything. Living at the top of a hill doesn't help - going out is fine, it's getting back up it, especially pushing a pram with what feels like a ten ton baby in it that's hard work.

I'm having to talk to work about going back for one day a week from mid-Feb onwards as they stop paying SMP then. I have ten keeping in touch days to use during maternity leave which are paid - so one day a week for 10 weeks will replace my SMP.

I'm really not looking forward to it, although it's only going to be one day. I think it's mostly uncertainty as they have binned my job role since I've been on mat leave so I don't really know what I'll be doing and worry that I'll hate it. Need to try and stay positive, at least I only have to work one day a week for 10 weeks and I know the people I'll be working with very well as have worked with them for 7 years.

• Floss
    • By Floss 16th Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 41,263 Thanks
    Floss
    Sashybo check with ACAS about how you may be affected by your work having changed your job role - therd are some things they cannot do while an employee is on mat leave.
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    Sashybo check with ACAS about how you may be affected by your work having changed your job role - therd are some things they cannot do while an employee is on mat leave.
    Originally posted by Floss

I agree. Definitely check it out sashy but you might actually like the new role. It'll be good to meet up with adults though and something to get fabbed up for.

I lived at the top of a hill when my DD1 was little. It certainly kept me fit pushing the pram.

I went for jeans, ankle boots, green jumper and a tartan scarf last night. I got compliments as looked very seasonal with Burns Night coming up soon.

Tonight I've picked out a navy dress for dancing. I've had it a while and it was destined for the CS but I thought I'd see whether I still feel smart in it. I've had a good pampering session this morning, creamed all over, used my Clinique brush and tidied my eyebrows.

It's bright and sunny here. Definitely lifts the spirits.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 16th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 9,389 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Woke up with a stye yesterday so have be decidedly un-fab in baggy clothes and no make up while staying in and tacking housework. I have to go out tomorrow but not sure if I should leave make up off again so I don't irritate my eye?

Crikey Maman, where are you that you got sunshine? Send some my way please!
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 16th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi all,

It's snowing here again. I hate snow, it's okay as long as you don't need to leave the house but a nightmare if you do. It's living at the top of this blinking hill again! Can't take the pram out in snow but driving up & down the hill isn't great either.

DS decided at 4am that sleep is for wimps again. Tried for an hour to get him to go back to sleep in his cot but no joy so just took him into our bed so I could get some sleep. He spent a good while kicking DH in the back.

Thanks Floss I will do, the company have axed my job role/grade and there were 8 of us affected. We were given the option of applying for another job at a different location (further away, more stressful & for the same money - no thanks), staying where we were but taking a job at a slightly lower grade (wage stays the same) and this was only after the union kicked up a fuss or trying to get another job within the company from a closed list (which only had the first job I mentioned on it. ). I chose to stay where I was originally based so have a general idea of what work I'll be doing but now the company want to change that job role too.

They're treating my job share application separately so no idea what will happen there. If they don't okay the job share I can't go back to work (which we can't afford) as both DH & I work shifts and there isn't childcare that could cover our hours. Full time my job works 7 days on, 2 days off, 7 days on, 5 days off, late shifts & early shifts. DH's shifts are all over the place time wise and he works similar patterns.

Maman I will enjoy going back to work for the social aspect but not for much else at the moment. Unfortunately there are limited fabbing opportunities as I have to wear a uniform. At least I don't have to wear the maternity uniform anymore though - the blouse was like something from the 1950s - a fetching smock thing with puff sleeves. I refused to wear it as it made me look huge and just got a normal blouse a couple of sizes bigger!

Pushing the pram up the hill nearly killed me the first time I did it. I must be getting a bit fitter as it's not as bad now (but still bad enough) even though DS is heavier.

• Floss
    • By Floss 16th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 41,263 Thanks
    Floss
    Sashybo you've got a free gym class when you take DS put in his pram!
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 16th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    Floss you're not kidding - 20lb worth of baby plus pram going up a very steep hill = torture for the unfit i.e. me. I cheat a lot by driving but do like walking (downhill) when it's dry enough and I have plenty of time.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,156Posts Today

8,066Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin