Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 10,819Posts
    • 70,293Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all “Happy New Year”.

Let’s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don’t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn’t lie and I couldn’t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don’t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don’t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending “to do list”.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to “do something”. I wasn’t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of “Frumpdom” has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has “let herself go”. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here’s the good news .......it’s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don’t judge anyone here, we don’t get into futile pointless arguments, we don’t make nasty comments, we don’t indulge in sarcasm, we don’t bully others, we don’t play mind games and we don’t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let’s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don’t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That’s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It’s the first step on your journey.

Right I’m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 55
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Aug 18, 8:56 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 16,697 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    7DW - Me too. Sounds fabulous.
    I am 69 too and always wanted to travel Europe by train. Never did it for various reasons. We started a couple of years ago. Have done two month long trips so far and another planned for January. It is indeed good for the soul.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,651 Thanks
    Floss
    We've done train trips from Paris to Toulon on the Med, and Lisbon to Porto - love the TGV as you can see so much!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 31,537 Posts
    • 60,922 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I would like to do train trips too. Maybe we can do those in the winter when the weather is unsuitable for biking.
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,293 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Great bike.....and some fabulous ideas. Definitely fabbing in my book.
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,660 Thanks
    maman
    That's a really exciting project 7DW. I admire you both for taking it on.

I'd definitely say it counts as fabbing. To me fabbing is anything that makes the most of life whether that's the more usual clothes, hair, make up or home improvements or travel or hobbies or reading a book.

We've not travelled across Europe by train but we do use trains while we're there. The three two centre breaks we've done recently: Prague/Budapest, Krakow/Warsaw and Venice/Milan have all involved trains between the two cities. We've also used trains in France and Portugal. When we're away I much prefer using public transport to driving and parking! It's not just simple but it's fun and as you get to travel through residential areas you get a feel for how ordinary people live not just the tourist centres.

Needless to say the trains are a big improvement on trains here, mostly because they're cheap, run on time and are immaculately clean.

Life is very social at the moment. Out for dinner last night and lunch today. Having spent the last couple of months both home and abroad in sleeveless dresses I'm going to have to rethink today. It's much cooler with intermittent showers here today. It might be smart jeans and a long sleeved top which is my more usual summer wear!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 10th Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

7DW
    definitely fabbing. I hope you and your OH have lots of adventures in the future on the bike and without the bike. All food for your souls and will keep you young inside

LL your celebrations the other day sound wonderful. It prompted a conversation with my daughter about the kindness of strangers and paying it forward. I was also encouraged to find out what was at the root of the Venezuelan economic crisis. It sounds quite horrendous for the ordinary citizens of Venezuela

I went to my 2nd Beginners Salsa class on Wednesday. We had a totally different dance teacher with a different style of teaching the basic moves. I had a really enjoyable time and I found that I could do the moves more easily than the 1st class I took. I was also complimented on my dancing by one of the young women in our group and she was genuinely surprised when I told her that this was only my 2nd Salsa dance class. I also got a compliment on my dancing from one of the other male dance teachers. I think I will be moving up to the next level quicker than I had anticipated.

I wore a head wrap rather than my wig because the wig makes me sweat too much. My daughter loved the look and I soon got used to it even though it was the first time I had ever worn a head wrap.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 16,697 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Maman

Venice/Milan. That's on my list for 2020. Flying Glasgow to Munich and from there by train to Italy.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 10th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 16,697 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Went for lunch with Himself today, It's a bit of a plan to go for lunch out every week to get me out a bit and boost my confidence. i wore a mint green top to brighten up the black, Not a colour that i would normally wear but it looked lovely and took me out of my comfort zone, We chatted with some people in adjacent tables. Something I would never have done before. Also wore some pale pink nail polish for the first time in I don't know when. My skin is definitely looking better but needs some make up to even out the skin tone. Need to start focusing a bit on feet and hands.
    Feeling good !!!
    Last edited by Toni'sfriend; 11-08-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: mistake
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,660 Thanks
    maman
    Feeling good !!!
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend

You're sounding good as well TF, going from strength to strength. Good to hear that Himself is giving support too. It helps.

Need to start focusing a bit on feet and hands.
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend

I'm always looking for ways to enhance my routine fabbing and motivate myself to keep it up. Feet have always been an issue with me. I go for a podiatrist/pedicure appointment to get myself started and then can easily forget them until the next time. Podiatrist said to me that it's like going to the dentist and then not cleaning your teeth until next appointment and none of us would do that!

What's helped me is a bit of mse and time saving. I've got a tub of cheapo Aqueous Cream. I put it out ready before my shower and then the first thing I do after drying off is start on my feet. I sit down and cream my feet but also up my legs at least to my knees. Next I do my face with my moisturiser down to my neck and beyond to use up the cream. Then I just fill in the 'gap' with body lotion.

With my hands, I go regularly to one of those cheap (in my case Vietnamese) nail bars and get my nails done with shellac and sometimes a full manicure. At home I'm really good using handcream at least daily and again if I go out in the evening. I keep some in my make up bag so I do my lipstick last and then my handcream and perfume. Another tip is to keep some handcream (and other products f you want) close to where you might sit to watch TV. Then when attention wanders (as it does with most of what's on TV) cream your hands!

Another new to me routine is make up wipes. Although I have an excellent face wash it's not enough for my mascara. I knew that on holiday I'd be wearing eye make up every night so I bought a pack (again cheap from £shop) micellar water wipes as I knew they'd be gentle enough for eyes. It may sound silly but just having them encourages me to take mascara off properly.

We went out to lunch yesterday too and I wore jeans for the first time in two months! Smart black skinnies with a long sleeved green top from White Stuff and my black sparkly Fitflops. I have to thank sugarbaby for pointing me towards the Woolite liquid for dark clothes. So much cheaper than what I was buying in Waitrose and it's meant my black jeans have stayed black. Shame it's not a regular line in the £shop.

We've got a busy week coming up so need to look fab. My hair could do with a trim but I'll manage for another week or so. Fortunately highlights don't need doing as it's still sun bleached.

Sorry this is a bit me, me, me. Hope you all have a good weekend whatever you're up to.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 16,697 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Thank you so much for all the tips, Maman. At the moment I've got lots of foot cream and hand cream and I've moved a tube of each into the bedside drawer along with the rest of the products for my fabbing routine. Now that I've got everything handy and in the one place it makes it so much easier to keep it all going. Organisation is the key to this I'm sure.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 64,169 Thanks
    silvasava
    7DW - my DH got back into biking and built himself a trike. He's made a terrific job and the pillion has arm rests for me! We're looking at maybe touring in Europe with it sometime but at the moment he's happy going to various meets and swapping notes. BTW he's 75 now and not showing any sign of slowing up I've managed to learn to sail in the last 4 years ( now 72) not to boast but just to say if you want to do it go for it - I feel at my age after working all my life if I don't do or try it now then when??
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 16,697 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I think that is fantastic. Not boasting at all.
    f you want to do it go for it - I feel at my age after working all my life if I don't do or try it now then when??
    Now, that is a great outlook on life.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 12th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I went to the pub for a night of dancing last night. Wayne was trying to be a nuisance so I had to make it clear, that we might be on speaking terms (just about) but I was not keen on dancing with him or spending time with him in the pub. He was not happy but that is his problem. He finally understands that he has more chance on seeing 3 pigs flying in tandem than of me ever wanting a relationship with him again.

I made it clear to Wayne today by text that I would prefer him not to attempt to talk to me in future if he sees me in the pub. Also he needs to cease phoning me and texting me from today as he has nothing to say to me that I want to hear or discuss with him. He simply needs to move on.

I was wearing perfume which I had layered with the matching body lotion and body powder. I was wearing black mascara, gold eyeliner, clear nail polish and clear lip gloss. I wore my black M & S Autograph velour embellished vest top and the long matching skirt with solid gold jewellery and my Tissot gold plated watch. I wore my black Van Dal patent leather sling backs and was carrying my black patent leather Osprey handbag with 'gold' clasp and trim. I had to take my Wallis raincoat and an umbrella with me, but I did not need to use them in the end, as I was in the pub when it was raining and it had stopped when I was going home.

As I am a black woman, we have to take very good care of our skin on a daily basis and this is drummed into us from a very early age by our Mother. I use tons of hand cream and body lotion every day, so my hands and feet get a lot of pampering daily as part of my skincare routine. If black women have natural hair, we have to make sure that we use the right products for our hair designed for black hair and we have to put a lot of effort into taking care of our hair or it will easily get damaged and sometimes it can get damaged beyond repair. My hair is going grey, and it is thin and patchy, so I usually wear a wig when I go out. I am not sure if some of the medication that I have to take has caused my hair to be more damaged than it was in the past. Black women inevitably spend a lot of time on their hair whether it is natural or processed and it costs a lot to try to keep our hair healthy and strong.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Aug 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 16,697 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I love the sound of your outfit and make up, Sugarbaby, It sounds so elegant.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 13th Aug 18, 7:52 AM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

TF thank you for the compliment about my outfit

Silvasava and 7DW I hope that I will still be living each day to the full when I get to your age. I admire you and your OH and your zest for life

I went to Karaoke last night. I layered my perfume with the matching body lotion and body powder. I only wore the clear nail polish and clear lip gloss. I wore one of my pull on black skirts with a fluted hem with my red short sleeve, sweetheart neckline t-shirt, red leather peep toe Van Dal slingbacks with red leather flowers with my Wallis black rain coat and solid silver jewellery. I had an umbrella with me, as the forecast was for rain later in the evening.

At first there were no other singers apart from myself, so the DJ was just playing lots of good music and I was dancing. I only ended up singing one song near the end of the evening after lots of other singers had finally shown up and kicked off the Karaoke : Hurt So Good by Susan Cadogan

Wayne and I were not communicating with each other all night. At the end of the night, I ate humble pie and asked him for a lift home, so I did not have to regret my folly of wearing unsuitable footwear for the rainy weather.

I will have to catch up on washing and drying today and just relax watching television and reading a book
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,660 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for explaining all about skin and hair issues for black women sugarbaby. Your beauty routines with your creams and lotions sounds very organised and successful. I suppose we all have something to contend with. I know that I definitely look my best at this time of the year with a light tan. As we sink towards winter I'll be moaning how pale and pasty I look.

It's my Wedding Anniversary today. We'd normally go out for the day but DH has a commitment this morning. Instead he's being quite selfless and taking me to see the Mamma Mia film! He's not a fan himself so he's coming to please me. We're going to an early evening performance then out for a meal at a lovely Italian.

Not sure what I'll wear yet. The forecast was good but now rain drops are appearing for later this afternoon. I might wear smart jeans with a nice shirt or perhaps a dark coloured dress. I always think pale colours look odd when the sun's not shining. I'm really missing the warm weather. It was so lovely waking up every day to the sun. Just like being abroad.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 13th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 31,537 Posts
    • 60,922 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Well so much for having an adventure! My husband had a test-drive of the bike today, it was awful! He hated it, he said it vibrated so much you couldn't go more than about twenty miles without having to rest.

We have since found that this is a feature of all bikes of this style, they are made for cruising up the high street and back (hence being called cruisers rather than tourers).

So we will not be buying one. And seeing as how the tourers on the whole are too high for me, we won't be doing the motorcycle trip to Spain. We have a very nice tourer already, so will be keeping that, he will remain riding solo.

But....we haven't ruled out a nice little sports car......
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Aug 18, 3:58 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,293 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello lovely ladies......

Well I have to say (sorry Maman) I am loving the gentler weather. I do love the sunshine but 30 plus is too much for me.

Well lots of interesting chat.

SUgarbaby..... my friend used to own a cosmetics company when she lived in Miami. She was married to a Jamaican and she noticed how black people had such difficulties with skin and hair care so she focussed her business on that market niche. We travelled round the Caribbean together a couple of years ago and I was gobsmacked at just how many beauty parlours and hairdressers there were, and how many of the street markets sold beauty products. It is a huge section of the market and my friends business did very well.

TF. You are doing so well, as Maman says, going from strength to strength,

SDW. What a shame about the motor bike. But I'm with you about the sports car.

I'm currently "finishing off" my Ford Fiesta....it won't die. last time I put it In for its MOT I promised myself that if it was going to be expensive I would trade it in. All it needed was a set of windscreen wiper blades. I think it continues to live to spite me. Actually it's a great little motor, goes like the clappers. That said, I am determined to buy myself a little two seater convertible before I get much older.

Well still no moving date yet. I feel like I'm living in Limbo, surrounded by boxes and crates, not much more I can do now until the date is finalised,

I am looking forward to my next adventure......new house, new life.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,293 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Maman. Happy wedding anniversary. Hope you two,lovebirds have a lovely romantic date.

How sweet of your husband to take you to see a film he has no real interest in. That's love. . Hopefully he'll find it funny.

It was the 4th anniversary of my husband's death on Friday......bittersweet memories. But....it's getting easier, this time wasn't nearly so bad.

Maybe the idea of the house move is helping......time to shed the mantle of widowhood and embrace a new life as a singleton.

I still miss him of course, always will, he will have a place in my heart forever but I'm now Finally ready to face the future. A relationship would be nice but I'm not going to try and force things. If it happens, it happens.

My DIL keeps saying I should find an Andy Garcia lookalike......I prefer good old Pierce myself. (Both are in Mama Mia).

Anyway, have a lovely time.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 13th Aug 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Happy Wedding Anniversary Maman

I hope you and your OH have a lovely meal and I am sure he will not suffer too much watching Mama Mia! Here We Go Again with you.

I am going to watch it tomorrow afternoon after finding a Groupon deal that saved me pounds on the Odeon ticket (would have cost me £12.50 in my local Odeon) and I also got a £10 credit for CHILI digital rentals which will allow me to rent 2 films.

Ah well 7DW a shame about the bike, but I am sure you will find other adventures to share with your OH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,197Users online

Martin's Twitter