Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 9,969Posts
    • 62,250Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all !!!8220;Happy New Year!!!8221;.

Let!!!8217;s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don!!!8217;t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn!!!8217;t lie and I couldn!!!8217;t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don!!!8217;t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don!!!8217;t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending !!!8220;to do list!!!8221;.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to !!!8220;do something!!!8221;. I wasn!!!8217;t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of !!!8220;Frumpdom!!!8221; has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has !!!8220;let herself go!!!8221;. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here!!!8217;s the good news .......it!!!8217;s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don!!!8217;t judge anyone here, we don!!!8217;t get into futile pointless arguments, we don!!!8217;t make nasty comments, we don!!!8217;t indulge in sarcasm, we don!!!8217;t bully others, we don!!!8217;t play mind games and we don!!!8217;t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let!!!8217;s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don!!!8217;t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That!!!8217;s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It!!!8217;s the first step on your journey.

Right I!!!8217;m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 30
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 17,927 Posts
    • 107,316 Thanks
    maman
    I got a letter from Lambeth Council on Saturday. My Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support has been reinstated.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

Pleased you kept the best news till last sugarbaby!

Glad that you enjoyed at least some of your birthday and, as you say, you can carry on with belated celebrations once you feel up to it. I'm sure you'll love scouring eBay for bargain gifts. And this time they'll be for you!

I think it's obvious with Groupon that it's ailing companies that use them to try and boost trade. It's pretty obvious why that restaurant doesn't have many customers! I keep getting emails from Groupon telling me I have credits to use up. The only reason I have them is that the companies I booked with went out of business.

I went into the city centre this afternoon to browse for possible dresses for the May Bank Holiday wedding that I'm going to. I wasn't impressed. It's mainly the fabrics that I really can't like. Loads of things look cheap but aren't and I'm really not a fan of those Bardot style off the shoulder styles that are everywhere. I really don't want a 'one day wonder' or to look overdressed. Unfortunately my size is now out of stock in the red dress I fancied but hopefully they'll have more stock in soon.
    All I came home with was some dishwasher Rinse Aid and an aubergine from Lidl!

I had a lovely time dancing yesterday afternoon. As it was meant to be a Spring dance I wore a cotton dress but made sure it had a matching cardigan! The dress is an olive green with a broderie anglaise hem that I bought in the John Rocha sale last autumn.
    https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_120010834733_-1

I had a good fabbing session yesterday, mainly as I needed to defuzz legs before wearing the dress!

Do keep us up to speed with the house hunting LL. I hope you'll be lucky. I still record Homes under the Hammer occasionally (when there are rare new episodes on) and there often seem to be bargains in your area.

Bargains sound great tara, especially the Hobbs blazer.

Are you happy with your hair oneday? Other than the occasional coloured shampoo I always have my hair done professionally (highlights for me). I think, if you can afford it, it's well worth the money.

Welcome Barnez. Looking forward to hear of your plans.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 4,513 Posts
    • 40,351 Thanks
    Floss
    Sugar Baby Great news about your benefits! Hope you feel better soon, if I were you I would also contact the environmental health team for the restaurant's area, to inform them of your illness. I had a similar experience in Edinburgh in 2004, we had to drive back to Blackpool that evening and it triggered the IBS that I now suffer from.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Apr 18, 10:29 PM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 62,250 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Sugar Baby. Wow....that's really good news about your housing benefit and council tax. You must be so relieved. I agree about contacting environmental health and reporting that restaurant. Food poisoning is just not acceptable, it can be very serious indeed. Whilst yours wasn't pleasant at least you have made a good recovery. The next person might not be so fortunate.

And the waiter sounds awful. I would definitely report him.

My tummy still isn't quite right. It will take a few days to settle again. I'm also terribly stiff and sore. Grains don't just affect my stomach they also trigger my fibro. Never mind I'll have a nice soak in an Epsom salt bath and some lavender before I go to bed.

The EA photographer came, I should get approval tomorrow. And then we'll take it from there. The house will be listed some time this week. so then it's just a case of wait and see. Hopefully there will be some interest.

I have decided to take out a small mortgage so that I can keep back some of my capital for savings. Spoke to a broker this morning. He said there should be no problems.

Still not decided about whether or not to see about the EAs job offer. I suppose it does no harm to see what they are offering but I'm not really sure I want to be tied down. Although the extra pennies would be nice I have grown to like my freedom so I might just stick with Plan A and set up my own little hobby business. At least I could pick and choose my clients and avoid the obnoxious ones. I wouldn't be able to do that working for an EAs office.

I have looked on RM. and found some "maybes". It's whether I go for a city centre apartment with a balcony or something a bit more rural, possibly a bungalow. I do think I would miss not having a proper garden.

I am also thinking that the next property really neeeds to have the capability of being future prooofed for when I'm old and decrepit, so I've ruled out higgledy piggedly cute cottages or Victorian terraces with lots of steps and challenging staircases. For once in my life I have to buy a house with my head and not my heart..... I really miss not being able to discuss these kind of decisions with my husband.

Great bargains Tara. I have a carload for the charity shop tomorrow. I might have a little mooch whilst I'm at it.

Shame about the red dress, MAman. I'm sure you will find something. Whilst I quite like the Bardot dresses that are around I agree they are a bit gimmicky and it might end up as a one day wonder. Tbh I think they are probably more suited for evening wear, especially on ladies of a certain age.

Anyway. Off to bed now. I'm exhausted.
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 17th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    Flo61
    Went to watch some Morris dancing at weekend. Mixed male and female groups. Mostly over 50!!!8217;s. struck me how much everyone looked to be enjoying it. Must be a great workout for upper as well as lower body. Lots of banging sticks involved. Ha.

Article in newspaper said best thing for dry skin is to exfoliate weekly.
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    • 17,927 Posts
    • 107,316 Thanks
    maman
    Hope LL and sugarbaby are feeling better today.

Went to watch some Morris dancing at weekend. Mixed male and female groups. Mostly over 50's!!! Struck me how much everyone looked to be enjoying it. Must be a great workout for upper as well as lower body. Lots of banging sticks involved. Ha .
    Originally posted by Flo61

We watched some Morris dancers at the weekend too but all male. I can certainly vouch for dancing as a great workout. I did all 18 dances on Sunday afternoon and didn't flag at all. I'm really pleased with that. More dancing tonight, tomorrow and next Sunday. I'll miss it when we have a summer break.

Article in newspaper said best thing for dry skin is to exfoliate weekly.
    Originally posted by Flo61

That's what I'm trying to do both with a body and face exfoliator. I keep forgetting as it's not yet part of my fabbing routine but I'm working on it. My skin can tend to dryness but I always moisturise well. I want it to be in good condition for when the sun shines.

Sun is just coming out and promises to be warm later! I'm going to get my nails done. The shellac is amazing as it's been weeks and not a chip but the regrowth looks bad.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 17th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,264 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

My stomach is still painful and tender to the touch, but I am continuing to recover. I will carry on celebrating my birthday from tomorrow.

I have emailed a complaint to Groupon, the restaurant Manager and to Environmental Health. I can only hope that another customer will not have to suffer food poisoning before health and safety measures are put into place. I also gave a detailed 1* review on Trip Advisor about my nightmare dining experience.

Maman it is a shame you have not been able to find the right dress for you for the upcoming May wedding you are going to yet.

As my daughter is now working again (a shame it is a zero hours contract) she is now able to contribute some housekeeping money, so as a family we can now manage financially.

LL I hope that all your plans to sell your house and move on work out well for you.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 62,250 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies.,

Well I was up and about early this morning. Took some stuff to the chazzer. Whilst I was there I picked up some great bargains. Two pairs of cropped trousers 99p each, three pashminas 49p each and a lovely cream silk camisole and matching cover up top for 3.

The good Feng Shui continues.

Have booked a steroid injection for my knee on Thursday and a viewing for a bungalow on Saturday. Need to alter my white trousers for college tomorrow so will tackle those tonight.

Still a bit dull and chilly here today so going to get out the paintbrushes and do a bit of touching up where required after lunch. Then tomorrow, when it allegedly starts warming up I will get out in the garden.

I would love to be able to dance again, hopefully once my knee is better. I treated myself to a couple of CDs yesterday for the car. This morning I was playing Rod Stewart's greatest hits. I was sort of chair dancing and singing along whilst driving.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 18th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 62,250 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    House went live last night on Rightmove at 7pm. First viewing at 2pm today.

That is my all time record.......

Quick coffee and then get cracking.....need to get myself fabbed up to match the house.

Well I am selling a lifestyle. A chic and stylish house needs a chic and stylish vendor does it not.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 19th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,264 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Yesterday I took part in a Focus Group where a group of 8 women were discussing our views on Cultural Activities in London. I received 50 for my participation which was really welcome. It is great to know that my thoughts and viewpoint will be taken into consideration and may help to shape the Mayor of London's policy on how to get wider range of people from diverse cultural backgrounds engaging in the cultural activities that are being staged in London

I saw the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan in City Hall where the focus group took place. Unfortunately he did not stop and say hello to me. I was surprised at how short he is but he nevertheless has a real presence.

I have 2 medical appointments today and I also need to take my medical certificate to my local Jobcentre Plus

It is so good to get day after day of sunshine My Calvin Klein sunglasses are coming into their own once again this week
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 17,927 Posts
    • 107,316 Thanks
    maman
    That's interesting sugarbaby and what a good idea to actually ask Londoners about their experiences! I agree that Sadiq Khan has a presence. I think he's an eloquent speaker too.

Hope yesterday's viewing went well LL. I'm pleased (but not surprised of course) that you were fabbing yourself too. Recently I've been watching a programme called something like A New Life in the Sun on tv. It's about people who've gone abroad to start businesses, mostly gites, B&Bs and bars. I know they try to make a show out of mistakes but what's struck me is how scruffy so many of them are when their guests arrive. Often they're wearing the same old shorts and tee shirt as they wore to clean the property and many of the women shouldn't be wearing shorts or strappy tops at all!

That being said, I'm trying a new tack with my people watching. Instead of being bitc*y I'm looking at people to see what they've got right. Today I saw a lady with a lovely emerald green handbag and shoes with her black outfit. The colour really lifted it.

It's been a glorious day here. I went out for a long walk this morning, probably about 6 miles. I'll probably feel it tomorrow.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 19th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 62,250 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    had to laugh about the proprietors of those b&bs, Maman. I agree not a very professional image. Whilst they don't need to don a business suit at least a clean pair of jeans or chinos and a nice crisp shirt. And of course a shower and a Squirt of cologne wouldn't go amiss. Who wants to be greeted by a sweaty smelly host.....

I agree I too try and look for the people who are nicely turned out rather than focus on the slobs. Unfortunately there are a lot of slobs around. And you do see some sights in hot weather.....

Well I have had two viewings so far, good positive feedback. Another one booked for Tuesday so I am quietly confident.

I am just back from the hospital having had my steroid injection in my knee and now sitting out in the garden as I need to keep it elevated thus evening. It's so lovely to actually get outside without having to muffle in Heavy coats.

It's a lovely peaceful garden.......almost a shame to move. I shall dine al fresco and then sit with a book and maybe a g&t.

I asked my consultants advice. I said i have a million dollar question for you......told him about the house move and said should I move to a bungalow or, as my Physio so often says, is it a case of ......"use it or lose it" in short am I at risk of bungalow knees if I move to single storey living too soon.

His advice was whilst we all probably need to move to level accommodation at some point he feels that even with my impending knee surgery I should be ok with stairs for a while yet. That is very reassuring to know.

So I might have a rethink......and consider a wider range of properties, not just apartments and bungalows. I have actually spotted a nice city centre townhouse.....I'll ring the agent tomorrow and ask for a viewing. It's the same agent who is working for me.

The thing is city centre bungalows are as rare as hens teeth and of course are very expensive when they do come in the market. I missed a beauty (location wise). It was a probate sale and was in a sorry state but even so it would have been at the absolute top of my budget. It sold in 24 hours. I didn't get a look in.

I have decided that if at all possible I want to stay in the city centre. It's more "me". I like being able to hop on a bus or grab a taxi. If I continue to live in the city I could quite happily ditch the car. Save myself a small fortune.

Speaking of that agent I rang up about a job today ........well why not, there's no harm in seeing what they tempt me with.

SUgarbaby.....well done on earning 50 with that focus group. And yes nice to be able to express your views. Hope you got on ok with your medical appointments.

Long may this lovely weather last.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 19-04-2018 at 6:47 PM.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 20th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Hi ladies I hope you are all well!

I need a bit of a butt-kicking into getting myself sorted. I used to be in a really good routine of using my Clinique face mask twice a week, hair mask once a week, exfoliating, doing my feet, getting up and going to the gym etc etc. I also used to drink way more green tea and juice and now it's just coffee coffee coffee

These days I'm spotty and about twelve pounds heavier than my average weight

It's very annoying and more annoying is that I know it's my own fault and I can change it at any point I like, just struggling for motivation. Any tips for getting into a routine gratefully received
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • 15,628 Posts
    • 43,365 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    [QUOTE=sugarbaby125;74172900]Hello Ladies,

My stomach is still painful and tender to the touch, but I am continuing to recover. I will carry on celebrating my birthday from tomorrow.

I have emailed a complaint to Groupon, the restaurant Manager and to Environmental Health. I can only hope that another customer will not have to suffer food poisoning before health and safety measures are put into place. I also gave a detailed 1* review on Trip Advisor about my nightmare dining experience.

. ]

I wouldnt be surprised if they've put up a response already saying "Customer wrong - us right - everyone else loves us". I agree with your analysis of what happened there and you were right to warn others off - but I know the one time I thought "This is so appalling - if not food poisoning level" that I put up a detailed review - that's what the restaurant did back.

I must say I was surprised to see quite a number of positive reviews earlier - when all 4 of us that had eaten there thought it was awful (though we are all used to better/wider choice it's true).
    WAY TO GO IRELAND! - WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY

• lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 20th Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 62,250 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    One day.....today is the first day of the rest of your life. A new dawn and a new day, forget the past and just make a new fresh start today.

You are not broken, you don't need fixing you just need to start loving and cherishing your body. You need to start doing things that make you feel good. You need to eat well and move more. You need to take more pride in your appearance that's all.

It's a beautiful day so get out and enjoy some sun. If you are at work and can it do that then resolve to make the most of the weather over the weekend.

Forget the weight. Have a shower or bath, put on some slap, fix your hair, Put on your gladrags and get out there in the fresh air. No money?? don't let that stop you. A walk in the park, stop for a coffee or a glass of wine in a nice little trendy pub or eatery. Just slow down and watch the world go by.

Forget routines, be happy, be spontaneous, just live for the moment. Days like this are as rare as hens teeth. Just enjoy. Treat today and this weekend as a holiday. Be a tourist and spend time in your city or the countryside

Yesterday, after my hospital appointment I popped into my local shop. I had dressed nicely, was wearing alight make up and some perfume. I treated myself to bar of Chocolate. Walking home was a bit difficult because my knee was hurting so because it was such a lovely evening I took it slowly, just sauntering along enjoying the warmth.

A very handsome man, years my junior smiled, bid me good evening and we engaged in a few pleasantries. It was nice. Passed the park, it was humming with families and young people having a good time.

People are always happier when the sun shines so just relax and allow yourself a little r&r this weekend. Get out there and mingle with the happy throngs. If you are not confident enough to strike up,p conversations with strangers then just engage in mamans and mines favourite activities......people watching.

Go on get dolled up and get out there.

Carpe that diem

I need to lose 2 stones, SUgarbaby also wants to lose weight. But it doesn't stop us.

Please don't put your life on hold worrying about your weight. Life is for living. Now not some distant point in the future when we have "fixed" ourselves.

Btw. The steroid injection has worked it's magic. Pain free. Wahoo. Still going to take it easy and keep my leg elevated. A perfect excuse to get the sun lounger out......lol.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 20-04-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 20th Apr 18, 11:13 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    I am unfortunately stuck at work until 6pm staring out at the sunshine through the window

I must admit people watching is one of my favourite things to do!
    • maman
    • By maman 20th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    • 17,927 Posts
    • 107,316 Thanks
    maman
    I am unfortunately stuck at work until 6pm staring out at the sunshine through the window

I must admit people watching is one of my favourite things to do!
    Originally posted by onedaysomeday

Poor you oneday but it'll still be nice at 6 o'clock and it's Friday! If you haven't got other commitments, plan something you enjoy doing that'll make you feel good. I think visualising is really helpful for forming new habits. You need something to look forward to. You could plan to stop off and buy yourself something really healthy and easy to cook to make yourself start eating well again. What about a stir fry? Then you could have an easy, relaxing evening thinking forward to the weekend.

Do you need a hair appointment? What about soaking your own feet and doing a pedicure for yourself? That's the mse version but you could go to a beautician if money's OK. Anywhere nice you could go for a walk in the fresh air? I find writing a healthy meal plan and a shopping list helps me feel organised and in control. As for a beauty routine. I know there are days when nothing more than basic moisturising of my face and some handcream is going to happen. Other days I take time to cream myself all over including feet.

Come back and tell us how you get on.

Today will be a people watcher's paradise. There'll be all the blobs that have shed their hoodies and trackies and be displaying bare flesh!! And that's only the men!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 20th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,264 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Money the restaurant has not responded to my complaint or to my negative review on Trip Advisor

One Day I totally agree with the advice LL has given you

My stomach is a little unsettled today so I will make sure I eat quite bland food today so my stomach has a chance to improve later in the day.

I am going to a Poetry Group tonight, then coming home to change, freshen up and go back out to a Soul evening
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 20th Apr 18, 1:43 PM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 62,250 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Ooh SUgarbaby...what a fab evening you have planned. Such fun and not likely to break the bank.

Do you take probiotics, maybe some Greek yoghurt might help. I too find it takes a few days to get back to normal after a tummy upset, I have to nurse it back to health.

Maman...couldn't agree more with your comment about the blobs. Why is it always the men with the worst bodies who go around exposing acres of pale, wobbly flesh, big beer bellies, varicose veins, hideous untended Feet. Ugh. I scarcely know where to look and yet they strut their stuff like gods gift to humanity......no lack of body confidence there.

Ladies often we are just too hard on ourselves, too hypercritical of our body image, our looks, our achievements. We talk to ourselves in the most awful way. Our internal monologues are often one of condemnation and criticism. Ask yourself, would you speak to your loved knees the way you speak to yourself. Of course not, you would never be That cruel. So stop doing it to yourselves.

I don't want to preach but having looked after my poor paralysed husband I learned some very valuable lessons about our bodies. They are the most amazing piece of kit, truly. Their powers of healing and recuperation are nothing short of miraculous, if we help them.

Give them the right food, the right nutrients, sufficient sleep and rest, enough exercise to keep everything in fine fettle and with a bit of luck you will remain fit, mobile and attractive for decades.

Yes I have fibro and arthritis and I have wrecked the cartiledge in my right knee. But here's the thing......I may have varicose and thread veins but I think my legs are amazing. Why because they are like a models, no, because they support me and carry wherever I want to go. Okay sometimes I struggle to dance like I used to and I can't run for miles but I can walk. And yes I dont flash my varicose veins in public. I wouldn't be seen dead in shorts. They are strictly reserved for the garden where no one can see me.

My body may not be that of a super model but it serves me well. It does everything I want it to do and more. Ok I'll never climb Mt Everest, I will never swim the channel and I will never become a trapeze artist but I am mobile, I can sit unsupported, I can feed myself, I can talk, sing. All things my husband could no longer do.

But ....... he taught me so much through those long dark years of his illness. He taught me how to face life, illness and death with courage and dignity. He taught me the value of patience, charm, humour and kindness to others. He gave me strength to face adversity head on. He taught me to take a leap of faith to get me through the bad times. He was a beacon of light in that nursing home, universally loved and respected by residents and staff alike. His medical team adored him.

Ladies, I have said this so many times. I am sorry if I sound like an old worn out record. Learn to love yourselves. Stop comparing yourselves to others, that way lies madness. Please be kinder To yourselves .

Accept who and what you are and be grateful for the life you have. Make the most of the gifts you have been given. Add them up and you might just be surprised at how blessed you are.

And yes cheat if you have to. If Mother Nature hasn't been overly generous and the good looks fairy passed you by then outsmart them. Wear nice clothes. wear make up, get your hair done. As Maman says if you can't afford professional treatments then learn to do them yourself. A home facial, manicure or pedicure can be just as good as a professional job and what is nicer then well maintained hands and feet, with some nice polish to show them off.

As I remind you, I was born with a birthmark......yes a real bummer. but I found ways round the issue, through camoflauge and directing the eye away from it. It became cancerous and had to be removed. I have the scar to prove it. I also had to have some threads inserted along my jawline to realign my face and make it symmetrical again after the surgery. I saved up until could afford the treatment.

That birthmark never held me back. I have had two husbands, a long term partner and my fair share of boyfriends. I can still scrub up well and turn a few heads.

There are few problems in life that cannot be solved. Bad teeth fix them.....next on my list. dry skin, slather on the moisturiser and drink more water. Overweight.....well we all know what to do. dress for your shape and colouring. Chuck out all those unflattering clothes and wear only what makes you feel like a Queen. Nuture that inner goddess.

Seriously we should not denigrate ourselves. We should be nurturing ourselves and taking a more balanced and holistic approach. Eat well, dress well and have fun. Life is not a dress rehearsal, all we have is here and now.

I don't want to harp on but please remember that aging is a priveldege denied to many. We never know when disaster might strike. My husband was 48 when struck down with a terminal illness, in the prime of his life. Thank your lucky stars for each day you are given.

And remember what Bette Davis said. "Aging ain't for Cissies". Take care of your bodies, give them the right fuel, the right exercise and the TLC they need to keep serving you for the rest of your lives.

Who cares if you are not a perfect sized 10. What counts, what truly counts, is a strong and healthy body, a firm sound mind and the ability to roll with the punches.

This is where fabbing comes in......its not just vanity. It can save or extend your life and protect you from the worst ravages of time and illness.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 20-04-2018 at 1:48 PM.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 20th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Poor you oneday but it'll still be nice at 6 o'clock and it's Friday! If you haven't got other commitments, plan something you enjoy doing that'll make you feel good. I think visualising is really helpful for forming new habits. You need something to look forward to. You could plan to stop off and buy yourself something really healthy and easy to cook to make yourself start eating well again. What about a stir fry? Then you could have an easy, relaxing evening thinking forward to the weekend.

Do you need a hair appointment? What about soaking your own feet and doing a pedicure for yourself? That's the mse version but you could go to a beautician if money's OK. Anywhere nice you could go for a walk in the fresh air? I find writing a healthy meal plan and a shopping list helps me feel organised and in control. As for a beauty routine. I know there are days when nothing more than basic moisturising of my face and some handcream is going to happen. Other days I take time to cream myself all over including feet.

Come back and tell us how you get on.

Today will be a people watcher's paradise. There'll be all the blobs that have shed their hoodies and trackies and be displaying bare flesh!! And that's only the men!
    Originally posted by maman
    I think we'll be going to sit in the pub garden for a little while so I can continue my people watching there, as amusing as it was over lunch (I did manage to have lunch outside of a cafe so that was nice!)

At home pedicure is definitely on the to-do list when I get home
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 21st Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 9,969 Posts
    • 62,250 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning.....

Another lovely day in paradise. And my knee is completely pain free. I look a bit pink with the Steroid Flush but no matter. it just looks like a healthy glow.....

Taking full advantage of this weather, I washed a load of winter knitwear yesterday, have another ready load ready put to put on the line in a minute.

Going to view a bungalow later. No viewings booked here for the weekend, maybe the weather might be too nice ....but one booked for Tuesday. It's just a waiting game now. Hope that doesn't mean it was just a quick flurry and then nothing. Still no matter the house looks lovely, it's no hardship living here.

Not sure what the weekend holds in store. I didn't plan anything because I didn't know how busy I was going to be ...so a nice gentle weekend, just pottering about, enjoying the sun.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,365Posts Today

5,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin