Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 10,819Posts
    • 70,306Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all “Happy New Year”.

Let’s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don’t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn’t lie and I couldn’t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don’t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don’t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending “to do list”.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to “do something”. I wasn’t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of “Frumpdom” has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has “let herself go”. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here’s the good news .......it’s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don’t judge anyone here, we don’t get into futile pointless arguments, we don’t make nasty comments, we don’t indulge in sarcasm, we don’t bully others, we don’t play mind games and we don’t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let’s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don’t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That’s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It’s the first step on your journey.

Right I’m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 29
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Apr 18, 6:35 PM
    • 17,391 Posts
    • 48,286 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Today's fabbing - I've ordered the book "Jump Start your metabolism" by Pam Grout. Worth a try at that - instead of the Japanese breathing exercises I had in mind to try.

Basic idea being that our metabolism is often noticeably slower than it should be and it's down to bad breathing habits. The thought of a woman mentioned in it commenting that she had lost 20lb without trying/thinking about it in 3 months sounded promising. That had me thinking "20 lbs would about do it for me - hmm".

Been checking out the "how to dress like a Frenchwoman" or "how to dress like a Swedish woman" channels on Youtube. Think I've found one that suits my tastes better - and I shall be investigating one by a foreign woman (she looks Korean??) living in America. I like her style. Can't recall her name - but I subscribed to check out a few more of her videos.

Felt achey after planting stuff in the garden yesterday - only to find there was yet more rubbish hidden some inches down in the soil (courtesy of previous owners never having had it removed). So that was some unexpected weightlifting - again - yesterday. Think I'd better have a darn good session of digging come the end of summer in the area concerned - in case of any more "shoulda been removed - but wasn't" rubbish. For now - I feel like I've removed an awful lot of it since I moved here. But I did manage half an hour of power walking again (despite the aches) to a YouTube video today
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Apr 18, 9:20 AM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,306 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    good morning lovely ladies......

Well itís miserable here - again. Whatís new.

I have a massage booked for later in the city so will combine that with a little mooch round the shops and a bit of a mini food shop to tide me over until I can do a proper shop.

College went well last night. We did practicals. Got my uniform, and just need to buy some white shoes so will try and get those today. Most of the girls on the course had picked up some white canvas ones from Primarni so I will call in there.

Money - Good to see you getting stuck in and doing your research before spending. I love looking at those style sites too. Great for getting ideas. I am currently rereading The Gospel According to Chanel.

One of the things I always notice on my travels is the way the locals dress......no national costume but their normal day to day dress.

When I went to the Baltic last year I was very impressed with the clothing in the shops, especially the knitwear. Scandi style is very paired down and simple with a limited colour palette of soft greys and blues. With the right colouring it looks lovely. Of course being tall, slender and Nordic helps.......

I also like some of the how to dress like an Italian sites. If you have curves like I do then going slightly Italian style works very well. It works better for me than trying to be too French Chic. You do need to be slim to pull that off well.

My curves are more Sophie Loren than Audrey Hepburn.

So I would say be sure to dress for your body shape rather than just copying a certain style and hoping for the best. Take the elements of style that appeal to you and then adapt them to your colouring, height and body shape,

Dressing for your shape is really important. For example I have long legs and a comparatively short body, so I avoid jackets that are too long and definitely not loose and boxy. I go for tailored jackets that elongate my torso and show off the length of my legs.

A tip. When trying something on and you are not sure donít rely on the mirror. Ask a sales assistant to take a photo of you on your mobile.

The camera is more unforgiving and trustworthy than a mirror.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 12th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie
    I hope you and your children have been enjoying your days out. It must have been the best surprise to come home the other day to find that your Mother had done a deep clean of your home.

Thank you, my birthday is actually on Sunday.

LL great tips about dressing for your body shape. It is a shame that my body is currently not the right shape for my clothes
    • chanie
    • By chanie 12th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    I learned to dress for my body shape years ago and it means that I make very few fashion mistakes, as I know what suits me.

Im an inverted triangle, which means I have broad shoulders, a big chest and slim hips and legs. Stuff to balance out my top half like A-line skirts and wide leg trousers suit me.

Once I learned how to dress for my body shape, I realised that I was gravitating towards items that suited me anyway, but I didn't know why.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,661 Thanks
    maman
    LL great tips about dressing for your body shape. It is a shame that my body is currently not the right shape for my clothes
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

I know what you mean sugarbaby.

I've got 3 things on my shopping list for clothes at the moment. First, the dress for the wedding I'm going to in May, next I want a pair of wide, cropped trousers as a change from jeans and third some loose, cool summer dresses.

Actually, make that 4 things as I also need some casual shoes but not sandals. I'm thinking Vans or Converse.

The summer dresses are for the evenings when I have my sunshine holiday in June/July. It's all to accommodate what will be my changing body shape over three weeks! Last year I took various skirts and trousers but as the weeks progressed the waists got more uncomfortable and by the last week only 2 A-line dresses felt comfortable. The trouble is that so many dresses are for the English summer and they are synthetic or jersey or too structured which wont work in 30 degrees plus.

Glad your course went well last night LL. How exciting!

I met a couple of friends for coffee this morning in the large M&S near me. I could have stuck around afterwards and browsed by I've come to really hate that place. The caf! was pleasant enough but then I just had to get out. It's become like searching through lots of over embellished rubbish to find the occasional classic (that's literally, not in M&S speak) item.

I wore my black skinny jeans, my long sleeved red Reiss top, a multi coloured Boden scarf and black quilted jacket. The only bit of M&S I was wearing was knickers and they're years old as M&S in their wisdom has discontinued them!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,651 Thanks
    Floss
    Maman Asda have some nice sleeveless linen a-line dresses, also a small range of other linen items. I only looked at the shirts but there were other tops & trousers too.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 13th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hp Hip Hooray!
    Hello Ladies,

Maman there are lots of packs of M & S knickers on eBay. They are sold by business sellers who are allowed to resell surplus stock and discontinued lines so you could well find just what you want on eBay. I have always preferred M & S knickers and since I discovered eBay I can pay a lot less and get lots of the type I prefer

I had the best time at the Jazz event that I went to last night. All 4 musicians were extremely talented and they exceeded my expectations. I was dancing all night, but for most of it I was sitting down dancing. 2 women got talking to me and I am meeting one of them at another Soul night on 20th April at the same venue. It is a beautifully appointed venue and it has so much to offer in terms of live music events, that I am sure that I will become somewhat of a regular.

I have received money for my birthday from my elder son £50, my sister J £60 and my sister H £100. I have not started spending yet though.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Apr 18, 10:54 AM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,306 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    SUgarbaby.....I missed your birthday. So sorry. Belated happy birthday. Xx

Still raining....... but the sun is in its way. Allegedly.

Having a paperwork morning. Just Renewed travel and health insurance. Needless to say they have increased the premiums, of course.

This weekend will be spent having a final flourish getting the house ready for the photos on Monday and then we should go on the market some time next week.

I think I will investigate their job offer, see if I fancy it, I would only want part time or temporary though, maybe just provide holiday cover over the summer. The extra money would come in handy although the long term plan is still to update my therapists certificates and set up a little business.

Other than that no real news. Have a great weekend.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 13th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Morning everyone

Looking forward to tomorrow where I get a full head of colour done as opposed to doing it at home myself - I'm looking forward to the results of someone proper doing it but mostly looking forward to having my hair washed by someone else - I love it!

In other news - I passed my driving test yesterday
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 13th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    LL my birthday is on Sunday

Oneday Congratulations on passing your driving test
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Apr 18, 4:08 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,306 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Well I could weep with pain and exhaustion..... I have been housefabbing and now I am absolutely done for. I forget I am no longer 30.

I have just cleaned my 110 year old Victorian tiled hall floor. Scraped off all the carpet glue, paint splashes and decades of gunge then two coats of tile restorer and I donít know how many buckets of water. Just waiting for it to dry thoroughly and then I can seal and polish it.

All I can say is it now it looks beautiful, all restored to its former glory. It will look wonderful in the photos.

Tomorrow I need to get out the paint brushes and touch up a few scuff marks and just generally freshen up as needed and then run round with the hoover.

I have deep cleaned the kitchen and bathroom. Hopefully I can get out in the garden On Sunday and Monday to weed and scrub the paths. Actually it is a riot of spring flowers out there at the moment. Pity the trees arenít in blossom but everything is so late this year. If we get the sunshine they have promised next week maybe the blossoms will come out in time for the viewers. Itís a pretty garden although if I was staying I would do more to it.

Hopefully Iíve done enough to get the interest and reach my target price. The house has never looked so nice.......itís almost a shame to sell it.

Never mind I can do it all again.

I think Iíve earned myself a nice long soak In the bath and some serious pampering tonight.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 13th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

LL I am sure that your house fabbing is going to be worth all of the pain and exhaustion. I would love to see photographs of the transformation you have wrought on your Victorian tiled floor as it sounds fantastic.

I have received a lovely bunch of flowers and a personalised birthday card from my sister H from Moon Pig. I loved the surprise aspect, the flowers and the card. The flowers will look even better once the buds are fully open.

I had plans to go to the cinema today which I had to cancel as my night out last night has made me feel really tired and I realised it was wise for me to have a relaxing day at home and forget going to the cinema until another day.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th Apr 18, 12:03 AM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    chanie
    Lessons well done with the home fabbing. It will all be worth it in the end.

Sugar I hope you are enjoying your birthday with your family.

Oneday congratulations on passing your driving test.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £1551.90
    Live more - £2032.75
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • misstara
    • By misstara 15th Apr 18, 9:38 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 21,008 Thanks
    misstara
    Hello all, haven't posted for ages but been enjoying reading along.

I bought some new clothes from the charity shop on Friday - a jacket, 3 tops and a cardi all for the bargain price of £6 . Best bargain was a beautiful Hobbs blazer for £1

Today I've been working on making the garden look fab. I tore down the old wooden fence that was falling down anyway and replaced it with a metal one that we bought yesterday, looks so much better .
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £455.62 (80.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £755.40 (5.3% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 12/60
    Emergency fund - £7/£1000. Car fund - £20/£1000.
    Mini Targets in December
    Exercise target - 6/16. Groceries target £103.93/£220. NSD target 9/15.
    • barnez
    • By barnez 15th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    barnez
    Hello. I have spent the last couple of days reading this thread and I wonder if I am too late to join in please? This is just what I need! I used to be fabulous but am no longer! xx
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Apr 18, 7:34 AM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,306 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Welcome Barnes. Never too late to start Fabbing. X
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,306 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I've have just tried sorting out my problem with the apostrophes.

Let's see if it works...

Just trying the edit function. It's usually at its worst when I try to edit. So let's give it a whirl.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Apr 18, 10:14 AM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 70,306 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Yay.. sorted...

Well had a really busy weekend. Just need to have a final fluff this Morning although tbh I'm feeling a tad delicate.

What with being so busy an' all and having to grab quick meals I resorted to eating too much wheat. On Saturday I Ate out at a pizza place and had bruschetta, dough balls and pasta. Fine no problem. Yesterday had some bread and pasta again for supper.

Quelle disaster darlings. I'll spare you the details but spent about 2 hours in the bathroom. I was in agony.

If ever. I was doubtful about the wisdom of my avoiding grains then this weekend totally reinforced that I'm on the right track.

Never again...

In the midst of all the house fabbjng I did manage to have a lovely evening out at the cinema and pizza place with DS1 and DIL. We went. To see that Player One or whatever it's called (Steven Spielberg). It's about gaming, not something I'm into so it wouldn't have been my first choice but I enjoyed it, lots of fun spotting 80s and 90s cultural references. It was noisy and lots of lasers and strobe lighting so not quite my cup of tea.

It was a warm evening so I wore my new pale pink faux suede Primarni jacket ...it was nice not to have to get bundled up in a big coat, scarf and gloves for change. So nice to just slip on a lightweight jacket.

Apparently my grandchild was well stimulated by the film, he was treating my poor DIL as if she were a football. she's 29 weeks so Not long now.

Other than that I seem to have spent all my spare time trawling through Rightmove. I've bookmarked a couple of possibles but won't bother viewing anything until I get an offer on this one.

Oh well better get cracking.....
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 16-04-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 16th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

It has been an eventful weekend for me. My elder son came with his 2 daughters to see me on Saturday, as he could not make it on the Sunday. It was only about a 2 hour visit as he has to work on Saturdays from 4pm, but there was a lot of talking and laughter. I got birthday cards from my 2 granddaughters and they wrote lovely messages to me in them.

I went for a late lunch with my daughter. I had the only member of staff who was present, insisting that I would have to pay for the 2 sides that I was trying to order, even though my Groupon stated 2 starters up to the value of £3.99, 2 mains up to the value of £8.50 and a naan or a rice up to the value of £2.99. He kept on trying to argue that I could only order 2 courses and when I pointed out that I was, he kept on insisting that I could not place my order until I had agreed to pay for the 2 keema naan I was ordering. This went back and forth until I insisted on talking to the Manager. He called the manager on his mobile, then totally misrepresented what I was trying to order, stating that I was trying to order 2 courses plus 2 extra naan breads. Eventually he allowed me to speak to the manager and I explained what my Groupon said and the manager apologised and said there would not be a problem with me placing my order. The manager had a quick word with the member of staff and he finally took my order 20 minutes after I had 1st tried to place the order. I was livid! Service was slow even though there was only 3 couples eating in the bar. ( I had booked for the restaurant that they also own upstairs, but was told we had to go and eat in the bar).

The mature couple seated nearest to us got talking to us, because they were very unhappy with their starter. The husband's fishcake was actually cold in the middle it was so badly cooked. He took it back and the chef cooked him another one, which was also not cooked properly, so he did not eat it. They had driven up from their home in Dartford, as the Wowcher for the 3 course roast dinner meal with a bottle of Prosecco had been brought for them by their daughter. They were told they could only have 2 courses despite what it said on the Wowcher. They then order a chicken roast dinner for their main meal. The chicken was so under cooked that it was not safe to eat, the were served 3 roast potatoes each, carrots so bad they were mostly black, over cooked whole beans, hard Yorkshire pudding and gravy. They decided not to bother to eat the meal as it was inedible and they gave their bottle of Prosecco to me and my daughter. I was shocked at how bad their dining experience was but I was not expecting to have an equally bad dining experience once my order was taken,.

I had ordered tandoori chicken wing starter and chicken biryani for the main with a keema naan. I really enjoyed the chicken wings with a small side salad. The chicken biryani was not hot when served, so I decided not to eat it and let it cool down so I could ask for it to be put in a container and take it home. I just ate the vegetable curry and the keema naan for my main. I do not normally drink alcohol, but I enjoyed the Prosecco.

I barely boarded the bus home, when I began to feel quite unwell. I am thankful I only live 30 minutes away from the restaurant. As soon as I got home, I started to vomit and empty my bowels. I was ill for the rest of the evening until I finally stopped vomiting just after 1am Sunday morning. I obviously had food poisoning again. I will never return to that restaurant.

It was such a violent bout of food poisoning that I lost 5 pounds in weight overnight! I continue to have a very sore throat from all the acid and I have a very sore stomach, but I have been able to eat a slice of dry toast today and drink sips of bottled water.

When I am not feeling so tender I will be complaining to both Groupon and to the restaurant.

This quite ruined my birthday, but I will continue to celebrate once I am feeling good again. I am hoping to be able to leave my home on Wednesday. I am feeling too tender and too tired to do anything outside the home yet.

On a much happier note, I received £305 in total for my birthday. I am making a list of things I would like and then I will take my time over the coming weeks finding them at the best prices. I got some really lovely cards and a bunch of yellow and orange roses from my older daughter.

I got a letter from Lambeth Council on Saturday. My Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support has been reinstated.
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 18,876 Posts
    • 112,661 Thanks
    maman
    I got a letter from Lambeth Council on Saturday. My Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support has been reinstated.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

Pleased you kept the best news till last sugarbaby!

Glad that you enjoyed at least some of your birthday and, as you say, you can carry on with belated celebrations once you feel up to it. I'm sure you'll love scouring eBay for bargain gifts. And this time they'll be for you!

I think it's obvious with Groupon that it's ailing companies that use them to try and boost trade. It's pretty obvious why that restaurant doesn't have many customers! I keep getting emails from Groupon telling me I have credits to use up. The only reason I have them is that the companies I booked with went out of business.

I went into the city centre this afternoon to browse for possible dresses for the May Bank Holiday wedding that I'm going to. I wasn't impressed. It's mainly the fabrics that I really can't like. Loads of things look cheap but aren't and I'm really not a fan of those Bardot style off the shoulder styles that are everywhere. I really don't want a 'one day wonder' or to look overdressed. Unfortunately my size is now out of stock in the red dress I fancied but hopefully they'll have more stock in soon.
    All I came home with was some dishwasher Rinse Aid and an aubergine from Lidl!

I had a lovely time dancing yesterday afternoon. As it was meant to be a Spring dance I wore a cotton dress but made sure it had a matching cardigan! The dress is an olive green with a broderie anglaise hem that I bought in the John Rocha sale last autumn.
    https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_120010834733_-1

I had a good fabbing session yesterday, mainly as I needed to defuzz legs before wearing the dress!

Do keep us up to speed with the house hunting LL. I hope you'll be lucky. I still record Homes under the Hammer occasionally (when there are rare new episodes on) and there often seem to be bargains in your area.

Bargains sound great tara, especially the Hobbs blazer.

Are you happy with your hair oneday? Other than the occasional coloured shampoo I always have my hair done professionally (highlights for me). I think, if you can afford it, it's well worth the money.

Welcome Barnez. Looking forward to hear of your plans.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

771Posts Today

5,953Users online

Martin's Twitter