Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 9,786Posts
    • 61,155Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all !!!8220;Happy New Year!!!8221;.

Let!!!8217;s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don!!!8217;t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn!!!8217;t lie and I couldn!!!8217;t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don!!!8217;t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don!!!8217;t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending !!!8220;to do list!!!8221;.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to !!!8220;do something!!!8221;. I wasn!!!8217;t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of !!!8220;Frumpdom!!!8221; has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has !!!8220;let herself go!!!8221;. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here!!!8217;s the good news .......it!!!8217;s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don!!!8217;t judge anyone here, we don!!!8217;t get into futile pointless arguments, we don!!!8217;t make nasty comments, we don!!!8217;t indulge in sarcasm, we don!!!8217;t bully others, we don!!!8217;t play mind games and we don!!!8217;t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let!!!8217;s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don!!!8217;t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That!!!8217;s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It!!!8217;s the first step on your journey.

Right I!!!8217;m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 28
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    chanie
    Me and OH have spent the last few days decluttering now that our wardrobes are up. I took one bin liner to the clothes bank and dropped a bag of BNTW items off at the charity shop. Our bedroom is nearly back in order.

My new wardrobe has one rail for clothes, two shelves and 4 drawers. I have kondo-ed my drawers so that can see all my clothes and my shoes are also in the drawers. I love the way it is organised as I can see everything at a glance.

We started this project in September and are 80% done. We decorated and furnished 2 bedrooms for the children, but also had to buy wardrobes for the master bedroom. We have done all of the work ourselves, and we!!!8217;re constrained by time and money, which is why it has taken so long.

Benefits system
    I am grateful that we have a benefits system in this country, but it is broken and needs a complete overhaul. I think it is disgraceful that people have to wait so long and to fight so hard to get assistance.
    I think with a lot of these things, it is a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing and there is no communication between departments.

Maman how annoying about groupon changing their policy.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £410.63
    Live more - £1669.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Apr 18, 4:37 PM
    • 17,777 Posts
    • 106,486 Thanks
    maman
    You've done so well to do all the bedrooms chanie. It must be lovely walking from room to room with them all fresh and just as you want them. Well done on kondoing the drawers. I've stalled a bit with that but what I've noticed is that once it's done they stay done. I'm particularly pleased with my two drawers of tops/t shirts and jumpers. When I iron things I fold them MK style ready to put in the drawer. I've got them arranged in rainbow order with grey/black/white on the far right.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Apr 18, 8:52 AM
    • 15,324 Posts
    • 42,717 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    For today - exercise is planned to be a reasonable length walk. I'm being pretty good at getting in doing a fitness video any day that the weather isnt up to going out for a walk or I'm too busy to do so. I'm "mixing and matching" a bit on the fitness videos on those days. Some of the dance ones (eg where they're a group of very attractive younger women in bikinis or the like) certainly show what a columnist meant when they recently stated how the dancing in discos/the like for the teenage type agegroup has become, shall we say, a lot more "interesting" since my day and they weren't keen on their daughter dancing in such a "come on" type way. Ahem...well shall we say that I wouldnt be dancing "quite" like that in public and I would worry if I had a teenage daughter being quite so "uninhibited" as that in her style. I'd probably be much happier if she were dancing in "street" type style. But, in private on my own - I think I might give it a go..

Got my eye on going back for a second look at a pair of gold earrings that took my eye in a shop - to see what I make of them (or, to be more precise, of their price). Gold - rather than silver - is "my" metal and they do look just slightly "different" and yet classy.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 9,786 Posts
    • 61,155 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Ah......if only my knees were up to a bit of dirty dancing......

Re the jewellery....if you can afford it then why not.

I had my husband well trained, I taught him two mantras ....5e smaller the box, the better the gift. And to always remember tiny and shiny. When we were in funds it was a good jewellers, when we were skint it would be a stall called Jans Jewellís in the market. I never minded which, I was just as happy with my Street market gems as I would have been with Hatton Gardens finest.

Now, as a tribute to my darlings memory, I have continued the tradition. My last holiday coincided with what would have been our 35th wedding a. J ersarh so whilst on board I bought my self some bling. Only cubic circonia but really pretty.

As some of you will know I am currently kondoing again and I have recently ditched a load of costume jewellery that was a bit past its best. Just wearing the good stuff and making way for the new. Good Feng shui.......

Speaking of good Feng shui. I took 5 bags of stuff to the charity shop. As I was leaving the house I thought I really must finish this hall, maybe a mirror. In the CS there was the perfect mirror brand new at £10. It would have detailed easily at £100. It had my name on it. I have another 4 bags sat in the car ready to go.

Better get cracking I have an estate agent coming In a minute.

Ha.....thatís got you going. All will be revealed later.

BTW Peter Rabbit was lovely. So English and genteel.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Apr 18, 11:00 AM
    • 17,777 Posts
    • 106,486 Thanks
    maman
    Better get cracking I have an estate agent coming In a minute.

Ha.....that!!!8217;s got you going. All will be revealed later.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned

That's a mean thing to do to us!!

I'm in awe of all the MK. I agree that it's very therapeutic. I must get down to some more myself. I wear gold bangles all the time but other than that I really have to remember to wear any jewellery. I'll put some rings on tonight as a start.

I'm out for a monthly art appreciation class so will get myself fabbed up. I missed last month's as I was in Italy. Tonight's sounds interesting. It's about Vemeer and the 'musical' paintings.

I was thinking of wearing the dress I bought for my birthday lunch but with thick tights instead of the sheers and heels I wore on the day. Unfortunately the weather here is damp and dismal so it's a case of what to wear as a top layer that's an issue.

What do people wear in the rain? My hair hates the rain so I really need a hood. I've got a Puffa parka that's fine for casual wear but dressing up in the rain is difficult!

I've had a good fabbing session this morning. I'm paying particular attention to creaming my arms and legs as they're looking a bit dull after being hidden for months. Although it's 2 months before my sunshine holiday I want to get my skin in better condition. I have some body scrubs (came with gift sets) that I've decided to use up. I have checked and all the ingredients are natural so no worries about plastic.

Have a good day all.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 9,786 Posts
    • 61,155 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Quick update......

EA adored the house, said itís perfect, donít spend another penny.

Photographer coming Wednesday, it goes on the market this week.

Fetch me the smelling salts.

Itís all this MK and good Feng Shui. .

She also offered me a job.

Iím tempted but how earth can I market a house, do my college course and take on a new job.

Iíll think it over, maybe part time.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 39,039 Thanks
    Floss
    LL have you found somewhere to move to?
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9,786 Posts
    • 61,155 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    LL have you found somewhere to move to?
    Originally posted by Floss
    No......havenít even looked. One step at a time.

The EA asked what I wanted next and I said a fixer upper, preferably a bungalow and gave her a guide price. I also dangled the carrot that I might take on a small mortgage and also am letting them sort arrange so,icitor and removals.

Basically I am letting them have the full package. This way they will work hard for me because there will be a handsome commission for them if they get me a nice quick easy sale.

I am quite happy to rent for a while if my next house needs a lot of work. I am. It kivingkn a building site ever again......

And of course they also do rentals so they have the potential to earn a lot of money if they look after me properly.

As my Late husband used to say......Why have a dog and bark yourself, just delegate as much as you can.......

Got some friends coming in a bit.

I just nipped to the corner shop and bought fresh flowers. They are all in bud so should be perfect for the photos on Wednesday. V

DS2 coming tomorrow to hide some items in the loft and hang my new mirror and some paintings.

I still havent done my bedroom chandelier. I might not bother, I can save it for my next place. I will nip to Dunhelm tomorrow and buy a pretty light fitting and a few new cushions and bits and bobs to dress the house a bit more.

Just a final fluff ........ready for the viewers.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 9th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,883 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    LL what exciting news with reference to your house sale, moving on to pastures new and the job offer!!

I am completely exhausted from typing out the 5 A4 pages of my ESA Mandatory Reconsideration. It is done and dusted, but took hours. I posted it 1st Class Recorded Delivery, so I should hopefully have the decision within 2 weeks. I will be shocked if they overturn the original decision and my scores for each category. So the fight will continue with my Appeal.

It is raining in London, but not too heavily and I have an excellent windproof umbrella so I was happy to go to my local post office and run a couple of errands today.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 15,324 Posts
    • 42,717 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I didnt get the earrings after all - as they turned out to be gold-plated, rather than gold. So I decided not to bother with them.

LL - that was a bit "outa the blue" re putting your house on the market. Admits it ain't how I'd do things personally - but you must be due (overdue imo) for some good luck by now. So fingers crossed it's all going to work out for you one way and t'other.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 9,786 Posts
    • 61,155 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    What can I say.....I am impulsive although I prefer to call myself decisive. Strike whilst the iron is hot and all that.

I appreciate I might be seen do things in an usual way, but having spent more years than I care to remember working in the property world then I do it this way because it works for me.

For the last 40 so years I have rented for a few months between each house move. I know most people couldnít bear to do it that way, but I really donít mind. It gives me a quick easy sale and allows me thinking time before I buy the next house. It makes the whole process a lot less stressful and because I am an unencumbered buyer I have more leverage when it comes to my onward purchase.

Plus, as I said earlier, this time I refuse to live on a building site whilst renovations are taking place. I am afraid Living in chaos and plaster dust has lost its appeal.

One of the issues I have experienced as a widow was a certain lack of confidence and an inability to make decisions. The fact that I have been able to make a snap decision and summon up the necessary energy and enthusiasm to go for this is proof positive (to me at least) that I am finally coming out of the doldrums of widowhood and that I am now finally ready to build myself a new life. I know my husband would approve.

The market had been dead here for months. One of the deciding factors is that as recently as Last week, whilst out on my walks, I noticed that lots of sold signs had suddenly appeared on properties that had been languishing for months. It would appear that the market is waking up.

I always knew this area was on the up and that itís long term popularity would increase. Four houses have recently sold in the last couple of weeks, two in my street and two just round the corner, all for near the asking price so the omens appear to look good.

I will be going the standard no sale, no fee route so if it doesnít sell then Iíve not lost anything. And if I do have to stay here another year or two well thatís no hardship. The house is finished and comfortable. If I say so myself I have done a good job. Someone will be getting a nice house.

I donít know why but all of a sudden I feel energised and raring to go. A new project, a fresh start and a new beginning to my life as a singleton rather than a widow.

Bring on the next challenge. I am ready.

Now if I could just find a plot of land........
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 9th Apr 18, 10:29 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,883 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Benefits System in the UK
    Chanie, the Benefits system in the UK has already been overhauled. This is why we now have Personal Independence Payment, Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit. The irony is that these new benefits have caused absolute chaos for claimants, especially disabled claimants.

Disability Living Allowance
    and Incapacity Benefit are now obsolete and new claimants are encouraged to claim one of the new benefits.

They also have a new style Job Seekers Allowance, but I do not know how it differs from the existing Job Seekers Allowance.

Universal Credit
    has already caused so much financial misery to claimants and their social housing landlords, because of payments not being backdated to the 1st day of the claim. For all claimants of Universal Credit no payments are paid for the 1st few weeks of the claim and payments can take as long as 12 weeks before a claimant finally receives payment. Universal Credit incorporates Housing Benefit so a claimant will not be able to pay any rent for up to 12 weeks!!!! Then to add to the claimants on going financial misery, they then only receive 6 weeks of Universal Credit creating instant rent arrears of at least 6 weeks. Housing Associations and Local Councils are in despair as they now have thousands of tenants on Universal Credit who are in rent arrears through no fault of their own, yet they rely on the revenue they raise from the rent they receive from their tenants.

All because of the fallacy that there were benefit claimants that were better off financially on benefit than in work.

As I have been on benefits and been employed throughout my life, I have always been so much better off financially in employment, that there was no comparison and the same was true of every benefit claimant. Despite many so called reality programmes being made with benefit claimants who were willing to insist on camera that they would be worse off in employment who had never had a job to prove what they believed to be true was factual rather than just an urban myth that people like themselves had kept on repeating. I was once filmed for a BBC programme on benefit claimants, but my whole contribution was edited out from the programme when it was finally aired. I did not fit the stereotype of a benefit claimant, I was not spending my benefits on smoking, drinking and my home was spotlessly clean. I am articulate and educated and come for a really large family where we were all encouraged by my parents to be model citizens in society (2 brothers fell by the wayside) and to be hard workers in our chosen employment. My children were intelligent and well spoken so they too did not fit the stereotypical norm for the children of a single parent benefit claimant.

Up to last November I had a part time cleaning job, yet look at how I did not have any financial hardship as I also had Working Tax Credit to top up my minimum wage.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar your insight into the benefits system is very insightful. I was aware that people were being moved onto Universal Credit and that was an overhaul, but I think there must be a better way than that. The system is so bureaucratic and it is taking far too long for people to get through the system.

Ll your plans sound very exciting an I am pleased to read that you have lots of exciting things to look forward to.

I am off work for the next few days with the children for their Easter Holidays. My Mum had them yesterday and deep cleaned the house, so I dont have too much to do. Bliss.

I have booked a couple of days off work over the next few weeks. DS doesnt want to go to childcare on his birthday, so I will use the time he is at school for job hunting.

The other day (pay day) will involve some retail therapy and a nice lunch. I have been browsing online and found a few promising stores, but I need to go in and have a proper look.

The more I think about leaving my current employer, the more I have decided I have made the right decision. I have quite a bit of leave left to use before I go and I need to use it quickly. I told my boss that I wanted gardening leave over the summer, as I would rather be off with the children than being at work and having to juggle childcare. The official line will be to offset my annual leave against the time off, but if I dont have enough leave, we will have to come to an arrangement.

Me and OH have agreed to use some of the redundancy money on decorating the dining room and hallway. Other than plastering and flooring, we can do the rest ourselves and I will be able to do quite a bit whilst I am off work. We want to get a new dining room suite and sofa bed, so want to keep the costs down.
    Last edited by chanie; 10-04-2018 at 1:05 PM.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £410.63
    Live more - £1669.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • Southern-Girl
    • By Southern-Girl 11th Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Southern-Girl
    I love this thread for it's fabbing and general chit-chat on everyday things.
    However, it feels as though its becoming a benefits thread.
    What people don't realise is that something like 75% of the population are, at some point, on some sort of benefits.
    Benefits include anything paid to you, or for you, by the government.
    This includes: Council tax, housing benefit, working tax credit, family tax credit, disability payment/s, pension credits, carers allowance.
    What I don't think people realise is how many people are working maybe 16 hours and getting tax credits to top up their income. Years ago, if people didn't have enough money they'd get a second job!
    Don't get me wrong, I believe benefits majorly help people who are really need it, but there are too many people working just the minimal 16 hours needed to then get their rent and council tax paid and then tax credits on top.
    I know someone working 16 hours a week. They were offered full time work, but declined as they would have to then pay their rent and council tax and lose their Working Tax Credits.

That doesn't really give people the incentive to work, does it?

Anyway ladies. I really do love this thread. Keep up the chit-chat!

XX

• lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Apr 18, 10:42 AM
    • 9,786 Posts
    • 61,155 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies......

What a dark, dismal and depressing day, itís like a January Morning. My dil has just sent me the long range weather forecast for next week and it looks like spring will finally be here at last. Temps up to 20C and some actual sunshine.....not before time.

Well itís all action stations here. Have postponed the photographer till Monday to give me a couple of extra days for a few final tweaks before we go live next week.

Have trawled through Rightmove and found a few maybes, although I wont bother doing any viewings just yet. In fact I will do drivebys first so as not to waste time.

Today my pet heating engineer/plumber is coming. He is being assessed so he can renew his certificates so he has asked if I will be his guinea pig for the assessor. I donít mind, he does me a lot favours, it just means I am a bit tied down today. Hopefully I can decutter the study whilst they are here. College proper starts tonight, so all in all a busy day ahead.

Gave myself a manicure last night whilst watching Tess of the Díurbervilles. Iíd forgotten how gloomy it was. I felt like shaking both Tess and Angel......dozy pair.

Why didnít he force her to escape whilst they had the chance......
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,883 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Southern Girl
    . That person you know is wrong. If you work over 30 hours not only will you continue to receive Working Tax Credits, you also receive the 30 plus hours premium, so you receive substantially more Working Tax Credits, if you are in full time work than if you are in part time work. If that is not an incentive to work, then I do not know what is? (Before my part time cleaner job, I was working full time for 8 years in Childcare, as a Nursery Assistant, a Nursery Nurse and then finally as a Room Leader) Can we all please try not to make negative sweeping statements about benefit claimants based on little experience of the facts

If employers were paying a National Living Wage, not a Minimum Wage and they were not allowed to issue employees with Zero hours contracts, then there would not be such a reliance on Benefits to top up paltry wages.

Yesterday I went to see the preview of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and I absolutely loved it! I had a free ticket. It is on general release on 20th April. There was a question and answer session after the film with the director Mike Newell, the writer of the screenplay Kevin Hood, the producer Paula Mazur and the 2 of the lead actors Lily James and Glen Powell. Lily James was stunning in a beautiful designer dress and 5 inch Louboutin's. Glen Powell is even better looking in the flesh and he literally made my heart race for all the right reasons. It was such an entertaining and laughter filled question and answer session, so I left the cinema absolutely buzzing, even though I was in pain.

The only downside to the event last night was that I was sat next to a young girl to my left, who was a heavy smoker. She has obviously lost her sense of smell. She smelt rancid. I had to keep turning my head to the right and shallow breathing because the smell was so bad. Her clothes and outdoor wear were in need of a good wash. As a non smoker, I never normally mind smokers, there are enough of them in my large family, but this was extreme.

I layered my perfume with the matching body powder and the matching body lotion.

I have a free ticket for a jazz evening tomorrow. It is local to me as it is in Brixton.
    • Southern-Girl
    • By Southern-Girl 11th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Southern-Girl
    Hello Ladies,

Southern Girl
    . That person you know is wrong. If you work over 30 hours not only will you continue to receive Working Tax Credits, you also receive the 30 plus hours premium, so you receive substantially more Working Tax Credits, if you are in full time work than if you are in part time work. If that is not an incentive to work, then I do not know what is? (Before my part time cleaner job, I was working full time for 8 years in Childcare, as a Nursery Assistant, a Nursery Nurse and then finally as a Room Leader) Can we all please try not to make negative sweeping statements about benefit claimants based on little experience of the facts
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Thank you, Sugarbaby. I think we need to agree to disagree on this. She would get a slight top up to her wages with tax credits but she would have to pay her rent in full (£1100 per month, we live in a very expensive rental area) and her Council tax in full (£130 per month, this is with 25%discount). This totals £1230 that she receives at the moment that she would not get! At the moment she has to pay £22 to park in the hospital car park. If she goes full time this would go up to £48 per month

She would have to take home (nett wage) £2000 to break even!

By the way - she's a nurse of 11 years standing! So not in a "minimum wage" job :-)
    As you are probably aware, NHS workers haven't had a pay rise for over 6 years!

• maman
    • By maman 11th Apr 18, 12:26 PM
    • 17,777 Posts
    • 106,486 Thanks
    maman
    Good to know you're feeling bright enough to get out and about sugarbaby.

This is such an interesting thread. I love it that we're able to chat about everything under the sun. What's also really good is that we're a big mix of ages and family circumstances and living all over the country so would be unlikely to meet in RL.

I have very little experience of the benefit system so while I'm happy to listen I can't contribute much. BUT.... I have many opinions on the political aspects of the system. I applaud the reasons why the benefit system was set up in the first place: as a safety net for those that were vulnerable through ill health, disability, temporary unemployment etc. What I don't applaud is abuse of the system. I recognise that there are some claimants who abuse the system but my biggest moan currently is the way that this government is subsidising employers who don't offer a fair day's pay for a fair day's work while probably paying themselves handsomely.

Sadly southerngirl, so many public service jobs are turning into minimum wage or even lower in practice because of the public sector pay freeze. Those in caring professions often put in many extra hours including working through breaks which, if you 'do the math' isn't much more than minimum for the hours worked.

My dil has just sent me the long range weather forecast for next week and it looks like spring will finally be here at last. Temps up to 20C and some actual sunshine.....not before time.

Hooray!!!

Have trawled through Rightmove and found a few maybes, although I wont bother doing any viewings just yet. In fact I will do drivebys first so as not to waste time.

Driving by is a great idea as the area you want to live can be as important as the house itself. Location, location, location to coin a phrase!

Gave myself a manicure last night whilst watching Tess of the Díurbervilles. Iíd forgotten how gloomy it was. I felt like shaking both Tess and Angel......dozy pair.

Why didnít he force her to escape whilst they had the chance......

I love Hardy but some of his characters are like that. I wish Tess had an alternative ending a bit like The French Lieutenant's Woman. Coincidentally I was listening to an episode of Jude the Obscure on the radio yesterday. He gets himself obsessed with a silly woman too. I think Bathsheba Everdene is my favourite.

I haven't done anything about the dress for next month's wedding yet. My plan is to wait until next week (when children back at school) then see what's available in the shops and probably also send for that red, spotty one. If only it was guaranteed sunshine.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,883 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Southern Girl Even as a person who is currently receiving only Benefits, I do not receive full Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. I personally have to pay £16 per week towards my rent and £15 a week Council Tax. Yet people tend to assume that my weekly rent and my weekly council tax is paid in full.

I was not making a comment about the person you knew and her personal circumstances. I was making a statement about the fact that when you work 30 plus hours, you get a premium payment on top of the Working Tax Credits you are already receiving when you switch from working 16-29 hours to 30 plus hours.

I applaud all NHS staff for their dedication. My sister R has worked in the NHS in various departments and doing various posts for over 20 years. Thankfully she is almost at retirement age.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,883 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman, I am so relieved that my health is no longer as debilitating as it was and I can now get out and about a bit. I can go for a meal with my daughter and to the cinema with my son this weekend to celebrate my 56th birthday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin