Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 9,960Posts
    • 62,171Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all !!!8220;Happy New Year!!!8221;.

Let!!!8217;s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don!!!8217;t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn!!!8217;t lie and I couldn!!!8217;t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don!!!8217;t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don!!!8217;t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending !!!8220;to do list!!!8221;.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to !!!8220;do something!!!8221;. I wasn!!!8217;t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of !!!8220;Frumpdom!!!8221; has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has !!!8220;let herself go!!!8221;. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here!!!8217;s the good news .......it!!!8217;s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don!!!8217;t judge anyone here, we don!!!8217;t get into futile pointless arguments, we don!!!8217;t make nasty comments, we don!!!8217;t indulge in sarcasm, we don!!!8217;t bully others, we don!!!8217;t play mind games and we don!!!8217;t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let!!!8217;s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don!!!8217;t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That!!!8217;s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It!!!8217;s the first step on your journey.

Right I!!!8217;m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 19
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 3rd Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 31,769 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I have treated myself to some pampering this morning, Gatineau firming and lifting face mask, La Roche Posay repairing moisturising balm, and eye wateringly expensive facial mist and balm from an up market beauty box I treated myself to a while back.

During the Autumn and Winter I nearly always wear ankle boots or trainer type shoes with socks and am now in the habit of creaming my feet every morning before I dress, it has really paid off and I have been using up lots of creams and potions that had been abandoned as I developed sensitivity to them, I had also been gifted two 500ml pump bottles of the type of cream/lotions usually used to eczema/dry skin conditions so no excuse for scaly feet (one of my pet hates is seeing people in sandals with feet resembling crusty hooves)

More snow due here later, no venturing outside, really need to kick myself upstairs to use the exercise cycle.

Maman a holiday in Italy sounds wonderful
    Last edited by maddiemay; 03-03-2018 at 1:19 PM. Reason: typo
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 3rd Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 62,171 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello lovely ladies...

Another one starting to get cabin fever. I had to either cancel or postpone everything this week. Never mind. I have got plenty to keep me amused. I have watched a few DVDs too this week, done a bit of cupboard sorting, tried my hand at paleo baking with mixed results. I am not a baker, I would be a disaster on those bake off programmes.

I have made arrangements to meet a friend for lunch on Monday and then go the cinema to see Finding Your Feet. The forecast looks a bit more promising after Sunday. I am really looking forward to getting out and about again. Roll on spring.

Maman. Have a lovely time in Italy. Where are you going.

Well I have been impulsive this morning. I have booked a cruise to Iceland. It is not until next year but it is one of those destinations where single cabins get booked up well in advance.......a lot of single males, but mainly nerdy camera types, serious bird watchers etc It is a place I have always wanted to go so maybe I am a bit nerdy too. Ha ha. Anyway it was a good price so I thought why not.

I have been pampering too. Yesterday I created a sort of home spa experience, scented bubble bath, facial, self body massage, eyebrow tidy, manicure and pedicure. My skin is really dry, especially elbows, knees and feet. I really need to make more effort, I have got a stack of creams to use up so no excuse really.

Btw.....update On the frownies I bought to try and soften forehead lines. I started using them this week. They seem to work quite well, although the effect is temporary of course so ideal for a hot date (I should be so lucky) or job interview. Apparently if you use them regularly the effects are cumulative and should, over time, soften the wrinkles more permanently. A couple of months apparently.

You do look a bit daft wearing them and I would imagine your partners would take the Mickey but if like me you sleep alone well it doesn!!!8217;t matter how silly I look.

Lost another 1lb this week, a slow process, just need to keep going.

Don!!!8217;t know if you saw an article in the Daily Mail about the woman who died in hospital in Brazil. She was actually on our cruise, got sick and was airlifted off and transferred to a hospital on shore.

The hospital are accusing the cruise line of abandoning her but realistically I dont think they should be blamed. She was a sick woman and shouldnt have been on that cruise in the first place. They did their best for her when she developed pneumonia but a ship is not the Place for someone with complex medical needs like this woman had. Cruise ships do have medical facilities but they are not hospital ships.

Not nice to die in a strange country, without family and unable to speak the language but I am not sure we can blame the cruise line for what happened.

She was obese, with diabetes and high blood pressure to start with so when the pneumonia took hold she ended up with a cardiac arrest. Maybe if she had been in the uk at the start of her illness she might have lived but even so there are no guarantees. Not everyone survives a cardiac arrest even in the best equipped hospital.

Very sad.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 03-03-2018 at 2:18 PM.
    • Rubyslippers77
    • By Rubyslippers77 3rd Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Rubyslippers77
    Evening everyone

The snow is at last melting here, just rain today - it's been just above zero degrees which hopefully means we will have a spring thaw! The DC have definitely had cabin fever, they get cold very quickly outside though, couldn't even go and feed the ducks like they enjoy doing.

Well everyone, I have a couple of questions, don't know if any of you can help..... whilst DP was away on his jolly last weekend I had the bed professionally cleaned, it's a very thick memory foam mattress and was very grubby. The chap who came did a good job, left it nice and clean and un-smelly, but now DP is back the stale smell has also returned - I suspect it's because he's a big chap and likes to have the heating on at night, therefore the bed is always going to get a bit sweaty this smell is just horrid - I've tried cleaning the mattress, Febrezing it, everything but can't get rid of it. Any tips?

And if any of you use Avon I'd be interested to hear if you could recommend (or not recommend!) any of their products; I used to work with an Avon lady and enjoyed splashing out £20 - £30 per catalogue on various bits, but now I don't know anyone who sells it any more. You can buy online but I wondered if it was worth doing? I like the Body Shop stuff but it's very expensive, thought perhaps Avon was an affordable alternative!

I've bought some Nip & Fab cleansing pads to take on hols in a couple of weeks, they had/ have some reduced to £5 and I know people who rave about them: https://www.nipandfab.com/skincare/product-type/pads. Holland & Barrett had a sale on their Rose Otto skincare bits and I bought some of that, I don't usually like rose scented things but these smell more like Turkish delight

Maman, I hope you have a wonderful time in Italy and that the weather perks up a bit for you! I have a friend on holiday in Berlin at the moment and it's -10 there we go to Cornwall in two weeks' time, very glad we're not travelling now.

Good luck with your job hunting Butterflies, it can be very demoralising when things don't go your way. I hope your new hair colour has cheered you up regardless!

I saw the article about the cruise ship lady LL, it does seem a bit unfair to blame the cruise liner if she had health problems that weren't covered by her insurance. I have high blood pressure and have to check policies carefully to make sure that's covered (or not excluded, anyway). As you say, cruise ships will do their best but they aren't hospital substitutes.

Are you all feeling better now Sashy? That was an interesting question about my friend, I don't know whether she genuinely forgets or if I'm always the back up plan and she only sees me if she doesn't get a better offer! I don't think I'll arrange another date to meet up with her anyway - I told her that I could only do Sundays at the moment, so she's offered to meet up with me on..... a Saturday
    • misstara
    • By misstara 3rd Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 19,314 Thanks
    misstara
    Hello all

Not much fabbing going on here at the moment as I've been mostly wearing thermal leggings, a hoodie and wellies - not the most glamorous of outfits but at least I'm warm with dry feet

Today I went into town to buy a new phone as I dropped mine yesterday and smashed the screen . Once I got home from town I then discovered one of my tyres had a puncture so had to take it to the garage. Not sure how much it's going to cost as dropped it off just before it shut but very thankful I've got a car expenses fund that I can raid. Spent the rest of the day watching a film with OH and reading.

Planning to go for a meal with a friend tomorrow so will make more of an effort. Think I'll do a bit of pampering in the morning
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £810.49 (64.8% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £542.46 (32% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 5/60
    Emergency fund - £36/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in May
    Exercise target - 10/16. Groceries target £170.88/£200. NSD target 11/19.
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 17,910 Posts
    • 107,236 Thanks
    maman
    Oh dear, that sounds like a very expensive day tara.

The only Avon product that I know of/have used is the Skin so Soft body lotion ruby. A friend recommended it as it is good to stop mozzies. As they don't bother me overmuch (I maintain it's the quinine in the G&T!), it's not something I go out of my way to buy. What I'd suggest is that you buy Body Shop products but only when they have the discount codes online. DH particularly likes their men's range of body spray, ginger shampoo and hemp hand cream so he stocks up when there's a code. It can be as good as 50% off. I like the handcream too so I'm pleased when he buys that!

The snow has all but disappeared here and it's 10 degrees! I'm going out for a walk this afternoon so hopefully cabin fever will be a thing of the past!
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 2,761 Posts
    • 20,488 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi everyone,

So from the sounds of it I'll never sleep properly again now that I'm a parent.

DS is pretty much over his cold now thankfully, still a bit snotty & has a bit of a cough but breathing much better and have been able to take the wedge out of his cot.

We've now got a situation where when he wakes up at night he can't get back to sleep by himself so cries until I go in & wants me to cuddle him. I've started putting him to bed whilst he's still a bit awake so he can learn to go to sleep himself & am not automatically picking him up at night, just patting his back unless he's sore/Ill/needs a nappy change. He's not very happy about it though & screams in a temper as he wants picked up every time. It was getting to the stage that he was waking every hour from 2/3am crying & wanting to be held/taken into our bed and I don't want to get him more used to that than he already is.

Ruby I agree with maman - stock up on the Body Shop stuff you like when they have offers/discount codes, they do it pretty regularly. I wait for the ones like spend £50 get £25 off as DH uses their men's face moisturiser & aftershave balm. I like the vitamin E night cream but don't use it often as can get the Nivea Q10 stuff for half the price in Savers.

Re your mattress, do you think a mattress protector would be any use? At least you could take it off & wash it regularly?

at your flaky friend, is she just one of those people that genuinely think the world revolves around them & everyone needs to fit into their plans?

Maddie your pampering yesterday sounds lovely.

I'm getting presents sorted for Mother's Day for my mum & MIL. My mum has asked for plants for her garden so will go out to the garden centre later in the week & see if there are any bargains to be had. Never sure what to get MIL & DH not much help so have ordered her a selection of toiletries like a sheet face mask, argan oil hair mask, nice hand cream, in-shower body moisturiser, lip balm, body spray & bubble bath. Hopefully she'll like them. Even better I can place the order online with free delivery & get it delivered straight to her, saving me the postage.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,362 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £50,880
    Loan £2328.49, CC 0% BT £1200, Car loans £22,591.72

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 4th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 8,244 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Maman, I hope you have a really lovely birthday and a great time in Italy.

Butterflies, I hope you secure yourself a new job soon. You have a thoughtful husband and he is being supportive while you are job hunting, so there are areas of your life that are very positive, so take heart

Ruby, with regards your memory foam mattress, unfortunately you may have to focus on your OH not going to bed sweaty and/or smelly, as the memory foam mattress is retaining his smell. He needs to be clean and fresh smelling and if he is sweating a lot when he is sleeping, then that can not be very pleasant for you and needs to be tackled by him.

My sister J used to be an Avon lady for over 15 years and only recently gave it up. Even with special offers, I personally found Avon products quite expensive. I loved the Skin So Soft range, but could find similar products from other brands that were significantly lower priced. I use The Body Shop, but only when I have a code to use. If you register for their Love Your Body Club, you will earn points on every shop whether online or in store. Sometimes you will get offers that are exclusive to Love Your Body members. For example: double points and 40% off including sale items. When you have 500 points, this can then be exchanged for a £5 voucher to use against a purchase. There are also offers with a threshold spend where you get free gifts or gift sets. So there are ways to make your purchases much more affordable from The Body Shop.

LL it is such a sad tale about the woman who took ill on the cruise and subsequently died in the Hospital in Brazil. It does show yet again, that obesity is a killer no matter what age you are. It has certainly brought me up short and made me realise that I need to stop indulging myself with food and get back to eating healthy within the constraints of my current financial budget for groceries and try to incorporate more exercise in my daily life.

I went out twice yesterday. Firstly I went to see the play Fanny & Alexander at The Old Vic. It was absolutely fantastic drama. It was a long play as it is 3 and a half hours long but has 2 x 15 minute intervals. I found it so gripping and I would happily go again if I could get a special offer ticket and could find the time. I would give it 9.5/10 It is told from the view point of the 2 children in the family Fanny & Alexander. It encompasses 3 generations of their family. When tragedy strikes and their father unexpectedly dies, the children's lives change. When their mother remarries, their lives become really difficult as their stepfather is a rigid, inflexible man who does not know how to show love. There is intrigue and some magical illusions as the drama unfolds.

In the evening I went to Reggaeoke Upstairs at The Ritzy. I met my sisters M & H there and M's daughter J. The four of us had a really enjoyable evening. I got up once and sang Six Sixth Street by Louisa Mark and my sister H and my niece J sang 2 songs. It was the 1st time for my sister M and my niece and they are looking forward to coming to Reggaeoke again.

I wore my black M & S wool coat with the velvet collar and cuffs and my black faux fur scarf and my 'new' black faux fur cloche hat with my Clarks black leather ankle boots and my M & S black leather gloves to both events and I was toasty warm in this extremely cold weather. Thank goodness the snow had mostly gone when I was going to The Old Vic. When I was going to The Ritzy later in the evening, the rain had washed away the snow, so that made it easier for me to walk along the pavements. I was actually too hot once I was seated on the bus, so I had to take my hat and scarf off.

I bought my 'new' faux fur cloche hat from eBay after watching it fall in price over the last 2 months from the original buy it now price of £14.99 with £3.20 P & P costs to £3.50 and £3.20 P & P costs, so I promptly snapped it up. It is much warmer than the winter hat I already owned and far more stylish as well.

I wore plenty of perfume and layered it with the matching body lotion. I only wore clear lip gloss and I only wore it because my lips were feeling dry.

I hope you all have a good Sunday
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 4th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 62,171 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello lovely ladies....

Thank goodness it is a bit warmer today. Hopefully that was winters last hurrah and we can now look forward to spring.

Ruby.....I too would suggest a mattress cover, in fact I would get two, one on the bed and one in the wash. Has your husband seen a GP. Excess sweating can be dealt with. Sometimes it can be a symptom of underlying health issues of which he might be unaware, might be worth him getting it checked out.

Tara.....oh dear .....what an expensive day for you.

Sashy....the basket of pampering goodies for your MIL sounds like a lovely Mother’s Day gift. I bet she will love it.

SUgarbaby.....I have a fab fake fur hat. Not only does it keep me cosy it makes me feel very glamorous. Very Dr Zhivago. It always gets me loads of compliments when I wear it.

Well now I have news.

Some of you may remember the tale of the two Johns.

Well as you know John 1 has stayed in touch and we have become good friends. I was, however, always more attracted to John 2 and I thought he felt the same. However, he kind of fell by the wayside so I came to the conclusion I had “misread the signals” and just shrugged it off.

Well he has got in touch with me. citing pressures of work, family issues etc for not contacting me sooner. Well we shall see........ He might be genuine or he might just be messing about. Only time will tell.

SUgarbaby - you are right about the lady on the cruise. It’s a salutary lesson to us all......to lose the excess weight and get fit and healthy. She was just 66.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,008 Posts
    • 10,415 Thanks
    chanie
    ruby I am convinced that our memory foam mattress absorbs body moisture. We have a waterproof mattress protector on ours and one of the children had a toileting accident on the bed and it all seeped through the mattress protector and onto the mattress. We bought a new mattress protector and the same thing happened again. Despite this, I would recommend getting a waterproof mattress protector, as our mattress is otherwise in perfect condition. We have them on all the beds at home and they really do stop the stains getting though to the mattress. I like the ones from Dunelm, once they!!!8217;ve been washed a few times, they dont rustle.

Ll I hope John 2 is a good guy. You deserve every happiness.

Sugar your cloche hat sounds very elegant and I bet it looks amazing. You have so much patience for stalking eBay like like that.

Sashy I would love to say that it wont be long before DS is sleeping through the night, but I would be lying. Seriously, it will get better, but maybe not for a while. You do get used to functioning on broken sleep and it just becomes normal to always feel tired. We probably had about 5 years until both children were sleeping through.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £444.13
    Live more - £1669.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 4th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2,761 Posts
    • 20,488 Thanks
    sashybo
    Oh dear chanie, I'll just have to get used to it. I would like a sibling for DS in the next few years as well, so that will be double trouble. I just won't mention it to DH as he's still umming & ahhing about another baby & keeps saying DS will be an only child when we've had a particularly bad night.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,362 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £50,880
    Loan £2328.49, CC 0% BT £1200, Car loans £22,591.72

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,008 Posts
    • 10,415 Thanks
    chanie
    Sashy the lack of sleep is probably one of the hardest parts of being a parent. Although mine rarely wake during the night, we are still dealing with nightmares, early morning waking and throwing up all over the bed!
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £444.13
    Live more - £1669.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 4th Mar 18, 11:31 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 62,171 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Sashy.....I agree with Chanie about the tiredness thing and parenthood. It just comes with the territory.

Worth it in the end though.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Mar 18, 7:11 AM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 40,176 Thanks
    Floss
    Sashy I always said that if DS2 had been first he'd have been an only child - he didn't sleep through until he was 3 1/2. Now I'm waiting for natural justice to prevail when he & DDiL have a family!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 5th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 8,244 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie, you just put items on your Watch list that are buy it now or auction bid items and then you can save yourself from making impulse buys. No stalking needed

LL with regards to John 2, I hope he proves to be genuine

Obviously we both have good taste when it comes to stylish winter hats
    • Rubyslippers77
    • By Rubyslippers77 5th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Rubyslippers77
    Thank you to everyone for the mattress advice - we do have a mattress protector but it doesn't seem to do any good - think I'll invest in the waterproof type that chanie suggested! DP has been to the GP recently for a health check and despite being very overweight he is generally in good health, blood pressure ok, normal bloods etc. He does suffer from gout occasionally but not enough for them to give him any medication yet..... he does have a shower just before bedtime, I think it's more that he likes the bedroom really hot and hates having the window open, then curls up under a heavy duvet

Interesting to hear that people don't rate Avon products that highly; I did like them but we're going back a few years now! I'll definitely look out for Body Shop offers, and thanks for the tip about their points club sugarbaby.

Exciting news about John 2 LL - I hope he is a more regular correspondent now!

Well everyone, I am feeling old, fat and definitely frumpy at the moment, but at least my virus seems to be on its way out - finally, after 2.5 months!! I still get tired easily but am hoping that will improve soon too, I'm taking plenty of vitamins. I haven't dared get on the scales recently but may go along to my local WW group on Thursday to hear the bad news FIL now has flu too and hence the boys haven't seen their grandparents for over a week - hoping he will be recovered by the weekend in time for a Mother's Day visit to them.

Have a fab holiday maman and a very Happy Birthday
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 8,244 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Ruby, sorry to hear that you are feeling fat and frumpy. I hope you are planning to make yourself feel better with some lovely fabbing. I find it really helps to make the best of yourself, even when no one else may not be noticing your efforts, it will still lift your spirits.

I have been divorced since 1992, but my ex husband had a personal smell that was quite strong, especially after consuming alcohol and/or spicy food. It was a smell that lingered, even though I was a very houseproud wife. I am thankful that we just had normal mattresses, that did not retain his smell, but I did have to wash the bedding more often and the mattress protector. Turning the mattress often and leaving it to air really helped as well.

I went to my ESA Health Assessment yesterday. I had to wait over an hour before I finally got to see a Doctor. He asked a lot of questions, but he was writing his report, as I was trying to answer him. I did not feel he was effectively listening to me . I should be told the results and get a copy of the report and my score within 2 to 3 weeks. I need to score at least 8 points to be allowed to continue claiming ESA.

In the evening I went to see the play The Shape of Pain at The Battersea Arts Centre and I loved it. It has one actress narrating the tale of a woman who suffers chronic unexplained pain in her left leg every day. The production used lights and sounds throughout that really helped to illustrate the actress's words. The words were also projected in white large font onto the grey metal panels of the backdrop which made it inclusive for members of the audience who had hearing issues. It is also the tale of how the woman begins a relationship with a man and how the relationship progresses, then unfortunately comes to an end and how her chronic pain affected this relationship. I had a free ticket for this play.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 8th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 62,171 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello lovely ladies..

SUgarbaby.....hoping you hear good news from your ESA assessment. How frustrating that you had to wait so long and then when you finally did see someone you only got half their attention. It is not really good enough. Anyway hope things work out ok for you.

Well ladies I have some news.

I applied to a local college and have been accepted. I shall be studying Complimentary Therapies, the first module begins at the end of March. I am really looking forward to getting my teeth into this. I celebrated by buying myself a lovely soft leather taupe coloured handbag.......in the sale of course.

I have been busy decluttering my wardrobe so this afternoon I shall go through some drawers and then bag everything up so I can drop it all off at the charity shop tomorrow.

Aiming to tackle the kitchen next.......then hopefully get the paint brushes out and finish shabby chiccing some furniture and paint all the internal doors, although still waiting for the joiner to come and sort a couple of them out.

I am going to be a busy little bee.

Ps....no further contact from John 2. I am writing him off as a dead loss.......

Next!!!!! Lol.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 08-03-2018 at 2:03 PM.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 8,244 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

LL I just sat and read my book and waited patiently as there were lots of other people in the waiting room at the ESA Health Assessment Centre who were also having to wait between 1 hour to 1.5 hours. Some people were very abusive to the young receptionist, even though she was not responsible for the delay.

LL Congratulations on being accepted on the Complimentary Theraphies course. I am sure you will learn a lot and make new friends.

John 2 is not a very intelligent man, or he would have made a huge effort to make sure that you ended up as his partner. It is his huge loss that he has missed out on a quality woman like you that has so much to offer him.

I went to see the play Brief Encounter yesterday at The Empire Cinema, Haymarket. I was not expecting a musical adaptation, but it was so uplifting. They stuck very close to the film, but with lots of singing, dancing and playing of instruments included. It was an absolute delight of a play. I would give this play a 10/10 as it exceeded all of my expectations. I had bought a special offer ticket for only £10 through The Old Vic, which is a partner to The Empire Cinema through the PWC sponsorship.

I went to see the film All The Money In The World today at my local Odeon cinema. Even though I knew of the John Paul Getty III kidnapping, I had not realised just how traumatic his ordeal had been and that it had lasted for months. This is a very true to life depiction of his ordeal and his grandfather's refusal to pay the ransom demand for him until months after the initial kidnapping when his grandson's ear was cut off. I would give this film a 9/10

It is so great to have such a huge difference in the weather this week, so I have made the most of the milder weather.
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 17,910 Posts
    • 107,236 Thanks
    maman
    Good to hear all the news.

I suppose it was good that you saw a doctor Sugarbaby as I think they used to have unqualified people doing those assessments. Irritating that he wasn't listening properly though! Hope he heard enough to be convinced.

Thanks again for the reviews. Have you managed Orient Express yet? I'm told it's very good.

Well done for enrolling on the course LL. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as it's an area of study you're very interested and knowledgeable in. Hope you don't end up knowing more than the tutor!

Makes me wonder why J bothered to get in touch. If he's that busy then he'll be unreliable.

From tomorrow I'll be starting to celebrate my birthday. Lunch with friends and family Friday and Sunday, then Monday we're off to Italy for the week. It's actually 3 nights in Venice and 3 nights in Milan. It'll be the 3rd of these split city breaks with a train trip in between that we've done. Really looking forward to it.

I'm keeping up with the fabbing. I had my nails done yesterday and hair appointment for Saturday. Plus I'm doing all my home creaming from head to toe.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 9th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 8,244 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Maman due to ill health, clashing appointments and the snow I missed Murder On The Orient Express. Sometimes 24 hour days are just not long enough for me to fit in all I want to do
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,645Posts Today

8,300Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin