Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 10,083Posts
    • 62,969Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all !!!8220;Happy New Year!!!8221;.

Let!!!8217;s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don!!!8217;t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn!!!8217;t lie and I couldn!!!8217;t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don!!!8217;t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don!!!8217;t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending !!!8220;to do list!!!8221;.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to !!!8220;do something!!!8221;. I wasn!!!8217;t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of !!!8220;Frumpdom!!!8221; has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has !!!8220;let herself go!!!8221;. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here!!!8217;s the good news .......it!!!8217;s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don!!!8217;t judge anyone here, we don!!!8217;t get into futile pointless arguments, we don!!!8217;t make nasty comments, we don!!!8217;t indulge in sarcasm, we don!!!8217;t bully others, we don!!!8217;t play mind games and we don!!!8217;t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let!!!8217;s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don!!!8217;t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That!!!8217;s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It!!!8217;s the first step on your journey.

Right I!!!8217;m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 13
    • Samphire
    • By Samphire 4th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    Samphire
    Hello positivethinking2015! I hope that your MIL is doing OK. It!!!8217;s really hard to balance caring responsibilities and a full time job, well done on trying to carve out time for yourself. My Dad has terminal cancer and sometimes I!!!8217;ve struggled with this, but have to tell myself that I!!!8217;m no use to anyone if I burn myself out.
    Epilating...... must dig mine out of the cupboard. I find it a really faff to be honest, seems to take ages and I end up just using a razor in the shower when I can be bothered. I!!!8217;m living in thick tights or trousers at the moment, and think my winter pelt helps me keep warm....
    • Samphire
    • By Samphire 4th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    Samphire
    LuxuryWoman I like the sound of your compact. I think that!!!8217;s a good use of points, a small luxury that you can use every day and will never run out! I always think that a compact signifies someone who is very pulled together and am now thinking that I may do the same with my Boots points
    • Samphire
    • By Samphire 4th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    Samphire

Trying to get into bullet journaling. Ordered a new planner but not sure of the layout will see :P
    Originally posted by ma-ri-ella
    Iíll be very interested to see how you get on ma-ri-ella. Iíve seen some beautiful bullet journal ideas on line, but it seems to take so long to set them up. I may start small with a gratitude journal. I picked up a pretty notepad from Wilkinsonís yesterday and I want to write down a few things Iím thankful for before I go to bed each evening. Hoping it will help me keep positive
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 4th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 8,459 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Welcome Positive Thinking 2015

Luxury Woman, I am so glad that you chose to use your Boots Advantage Card points to treat yourself. I hope that in time you will come to realise that there is no need for you to feel any guilt if you buy yourself treats that are exclusively for you

I bought a special offer ticket to see The Divide at The Old Vic for £10 which saved me £45. These tickets are sponsored by the company Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) and allow people like me to be able to afford to see productions at The Old Vic that I would not otherwise be able to afford. I was only 4 rows from the stage, so I had a really good seat. This play is absolutely fantastic, it is set in a Dystopian World where men and women live either side of the said 'Divide' where their lives are very regimented and governed by archaic rules on how to live. At 4 hours long, it is the longest play I have ever been to, but I found it fascinating and captivating from beginning to the end. I would give it 8/10 only because it is such a long play, not because the content of the play is in any way lacking.

In the evening I went to Reggaeoke at The Ritzy in Brixton. One of my sisters also came along to this event and met me there. We both had a really good night, but neither of us were brave enough in the end to get up on the stage and sing a song.

I am taking it easy today, and just catching up with the washing and drying and relaxing watching catch up TV.
    • LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 4th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    Hi Positive thinking

Wow, Sugar you do have fun, you might be my new guru and role mode., reggaeoke sounds amazing!

I'm glad you all think my purchase was a good one, I feel so glam in a 'grown-up lady' kinda way!
    It makes me happy and I am starting to realise I am allowed to feel happy

A few chores today and a bit pf pottering then a roast with family later - no spuds for me though, need to feel my jeans a little looser.

Have a great Sunday all.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 32,045 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hello lovely ladies and welcome to new faces.

My fabbing is always a bit hit and miss, i.e. I might be dressed and made up nicely, but my nails are a mess and I keep missing the body moisturisation, but I try to remember a little perfume and an application of hand cream before I put my coat on to go out and I am nearly always aware of my posture, when sitting I try to sit up straight for a good percentage of the time, not leaning against the back rest of the seat/settee etc.

I was happy to let "my grey grow in" a few years ago and it always looked really nice, but I became very pale and pasty and my hair was getting whiter and I felt that I looked washed out not pale and interesting so had it coloured light blonde, looks great, but I need to convince myself to prune my budget elsewhere to cover the cost, currently £40 for a cut and blowdry each 6 weeks and nearer £70 the next 6 weeks for colour touch up. I appreciate that my not be a lot for those who perhaps live in cities, but need to believe that I am worth it (although I hate how that slogan has come to mean self entitlement as fuelled by the ad agencies)

LuxuryWoman - love the idea of your compact, I hope that it will continue to bring you joy each time you use it.

Sugarbaby - So good that you have access to such a great variety of interesting and economical things to enjoy.

positivethinking - I live in trousers, leggings or opaque tights through the winter, but love my epilator for the warmer months, last time I tried to shave my rather fleshless legs I ended up with so many cuts, don't want to go back there.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    ma-ri-Ella I started a bullet journal this year. I have struggled with it somewhat because I!!!8217;m not naturally creative and it takes me a long time to make the pages look pretty, as I!!!8217;m not artistic. I bought some coloured pens and stencils and use those to help with the artistic side. For example, I write lists in different colours and use the stencils to draw borders etc.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • misstara
    • By misstara 4th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 19,638 Thanks
    misstara
    Hello, hope you've all had a good weekend

Today I've been out for a run which always makes me feel fab (not at the time but afterwards ).

I've cleaned out my makeup bag and chucked out a few dried out mascaras, ancient lipsticks and eye pencils. I found a few smaller bags and split up the makeup so that I can find everything easily. I've also sorted out my jewellery so that I know what I've got and where it is.

Outfit picked for tomorrow is jeans, a red and white top, black cardigan and black pumps. The top has a bow at the neckline so no necklace needed, picked out some little red heart earrings to match the top.

Away to paint my nails with clear polish and then head for an early night. Getting more sleep is definitely part of feeling more fabulous
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £726.18 (68.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £499.01 (37.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £0/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in June
    Exercise target - 3/16. Groceries target £93.68/£175. NSD target 7/20.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 5th Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi all,

No real fabbing news to report, Iíve been lazy & skipped yoga the last 2 nights so back to it tonight.

DH driving me mad yesterday with tantrums (yes DH & not DS ) when he didnít get to do what he wanted when he wanted I.e. play with his home brew in the garage. Well sorry for needing help to run the house, keep us fed and DS in even a loose routine! I was told that Iím only nice to DS & the cats and never him (DH).

Also when I said he didnít listen to me he told me it was because he was BUSY (playing on his *insert gadget here*) & Iím BORING. He honestly sounded like a stroppy child, was quite funny after I got over the annoyance factor. He doesnít listen & just tunes me out to play on his laptop etc so I end up shouting and then he tells me how horrible I am to him. He is fine most of the time & does a lot of the cooking, helps with DS etc but just has tantrums every so often.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,617 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £51,528
    Loan £2095.14, CC 0% BT £985, Car loans £22,206.11

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 5th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    sashy its good that you can laugh about your spats with OH. Those early years are sooooo difficult, so it!!!8217;s good that you haven!!!8217;t lost your sense of humour.
    Last edited by chanie; 05-02-2018 at 8:10 PM.
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Feb 18, 9:38 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 41,333 Thanks
    Floss
    Sashy Maybe you could be "boring" about something he would enjoy / like, but because he didn't listen to the lovely mother of his son when she spoke to him, he missed whatever it was It used to work with my DH before we got married (but tbh he WAS jetlagged a lot of the time so I got away with it)
    • misstara
    • By misstara 6th Feb 18, 7:23 AM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 19,638 Thanks
    misstara
    Put on my stripey top yesterday and realised the reason I haven't worn in for ages is because it's actually not very flattering. Meant to go through my clothes at the weekend but didn't quite get round to it so must try to do this soon. So the stripey top will go to the charity shop and I quickly changed into a plain green top yesterday.

Today I'm wearing black leggings, a grey and white stripey top (I should be banned from buying stripey tops ), grey cardigan and pink pumps. Little bit of makeup and perfume on and that will be me. Best go get ready, hope you all have a good day
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £726.18 (68.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £499.01 (37.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £0/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in June
    Exercise target - 3/16. Groceries target £93.68/£175. NSD target 7/20.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 8,459 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

My original plan for yesterday was to go to the cinema in the morning, then a Poetry Group in the evening, but I had to give the cinema a miss, when I realised I did not have enough time. I had washing, drying, washing up and cooking dinner from scratch to contend with before getting ready to go to my Poetry Group event.

It was an all female group last night and there were only 5 of us. A very good friend of mine is the hostess of this particular Poetry Group. 2 of the women are not into creative writing, so they just spoke about subjects that they were passionate about. We had some very lively debates in between the poetry readings. I read 4 of my own poems, I got some good compliments about my poems which was gratifying. I was the only attendee that does not live local, but I did not mind the one and a half hour journey to and from my friend's home. It was an evening well worth the 3 hours of travel. I came home invigorated. I am inspired to write more new poetry.

It was great to meet new women and through this Poetry Group, I could be making new friends. One thing is for sure, I am certainly broadening my own horizons.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    Sugar good for you, for attending the poetry evening and meeting new people. Does this group meet weekly, or is it something less regular?
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 6th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    Thanks chanie & Floss to be honest we have always had a tendency to bicker & DS just gives us new things to bicker about. DH has also always had the tendency to stop listening, I can tell when he does as he gets a certain look on his face.

It's at times like the other day that I am glad we know each other very well & did before having DS because as much as we love having him, it is difficult to adjust as all of our priorities have had to change. We generally just laugh at each other after tantrums, DH actually enjoys winding me up as he finds my rants funny.

I was good & did my yoga last night and enjoyed it.

misstara funny you should say that about stripey tops, I went through a phase of wearing them all the time until my mum started calling me Where's Wally () which soon put me off. I do still like them though, just dont own any. She also put me off a blue & white shirt I bought by saying it looked like it was from The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas Thanks mum.
    Last edited by sashybo; 06-02-2018 at 1:24 PM. Reason: Stupid punctuation issue
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 8,459 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Sugar good for you, for attending the poetry evening and meeting new people. Does this group meet weekly, or is it something less regular?
    Originally posted by chanie
    Hi Chanie,

This is one of the 2 Poetry Groups I am part of and they are both held Monthly

Sashy
    it is great that you can take your husband's tantrums with a huge pinch of salt and laugh about it. Having a baby makes far more difference to a couple's life than can ever be expected, you learn so much about yourself when you become a parent

Tara, you will always feel a lot more 'fab' when you are wearing clothes that suit your individual body, so get sorting through your clothing as soon as possible
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Feb 18, 2:59 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    DH has also always had the tendency to stop listening, I can tell when he does as he gets a certain look on his face.
    Originally posted by sashybo

I thought that was all men. Generally accompanied by 'Yes, Dear.'

I'm another one with loads of stripey tops. I have 4 in shades of blue and white and then I invested in a grey and white!

It's a good look with jeans or leggings but I tend only to wear mine in the spring/summer.

I've been out to a talk about the 100th anniversary of votes for (some) women. A friend of mine was speaking. They'd researched local women involved in the movement. I know there's still a way to go for proper equality but it is unbelievable how women were treated what's only a relatively short time ago.

Dancing again tonight. While it's bright at the moment, the forecast is for a really cold night. I'm thinking a long skirt perhaps with opaques underneath and then a top and a cardi. That'll give me plenty of options if I get hot through the evening.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,563 Thanks
    chanie
    Hi Fabbers,

I hope you are all well.

maman your talk on votes for women sounds interesting. Its important to acknowledge the less famous women who also contributed to the struggle.

sashy you made me laugh when you mentioned 'where's Wally'. I do love those books.

Not much to update from me. I'm looking forward to half term next week, as I have a couple of much needed days off. I will probably take the children out somewhere, although I haven't decided where yet.

My diary is back up!!!!
    Last edited by chanie; 07-02-2018 at 3:53 PM.
    Spend less - £516.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 7th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    maman you're right actually - even the men in my work do it to me at times.

Sugar what else can we do except laugh, I know I have my own rants & DH just laughs at me too. You're right a baby makes a huge difference and although we knew it, we didn't really get it until he was here & we were left to get on with it.

Off out for lunch with DH today, my mum is watching DS again. I think I owe her a present. Am wearing thermal tights with a warm cotton Seasalt dress & my calf length DMs again as it's pretty cold outside although sunny.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 7th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 20,585 Thanks
    sashybo
    chanie I love the Where's Wally books too. I used to do them with my brother who is 8 years younger than me, then with my oldest nephew, they're great fun. I still can't buy stripey tops though after my mum started calling me that for wearing them too much.

Will visit your new diary.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,620Posts Today

4,514Users online

Martin's Twitter