Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 25,631Posts
    • 54,357Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm’s Thread 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    The Bookworm’s Thread 2018 1st Jan 18 at 11:00 AM
    Welcome to 2018 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 3 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 and 2017 threads, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! Last year 55 of the 60 books I read fully for pleasure were over 300 pages long, 5 were what I would describe as lightweight, perhaps 35% fiction and the rest factual. Many books I started remain unfinished, and I have some cracking fiction on my shelf which deserves my attention this year!

Recently, I!!!8217;ve found myself having to justify my likeness for books and my ever-expanding collection (people seem to think that shifting over 1,000 of them might have put me off the literary cause somewhat). In simple terms, if you need to remind others of what reading brings, here!!!8217;s a neat explanation: This is How Reading Benefits Your Health.

Happy reading in 2018, and remember:

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 7
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 1st Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The Guernsey Literary .... is excellent! I read years ago and then again with book group.

The Ice Twins - I read a book by that name on holiday, however its plot was different.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 1st Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 8,428 Thanks
    Callie22
    Now reading ‘The Light Years’ by Elizabeth-Jane Howard. It’s the first in the Cazalet family chronicles so I may get hooked.
    Originally posted by Charly27
    I really enjoyed these, it's definitely worth sticking with them as they're such a good series. The newest paperback editions have such lovely covers too
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 2nd Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 8,247 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I was reading The Service of Clouds by Susan Hill but I finally gave up reading it, when I realised that I was reading newspapers every day instead of getting on with reading this book. It was just not my cup of tea

I just finished a thriller called Somebody Else by Reggie Nadelson which I really enjoyed. I had a very late night of reading until the early hours, as I really wanted to find out who was the murderer. This book was a 9.5/10 for me
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 03-03-2018 at 6:45 PM.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 10th Mar 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 8,247 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I finished reading The Booby Trap & Other Bits and Bobs by various authors and it was edited by Dawn O’Porter. It is a humourous look at why well known creative people mostly female but some male feel about women's breasts. It is a book to raise funds for the 3 Breast Cancer charities. It was published a few years ago, but I bought my copy recently in a Poundland shop. A lighthearted book for 3 very worthy causes. I would give this book 9/10 as it made me laugh out loud a lot
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Someone mentioned Elly Griffiths' books a while ago. Just read The Chalk Pit in the plane on the way over to the UsA.

Good, gripping stuff. Dr. Ruth Galloway is an archaeologist who gets drawn into an unlikely number of police investigations, but I have read three now and they are good page turners.

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Someone mentioned Elly Griffiths' books a while ago. Just read The Chalk Pit in the plane on the way over to the UsA.

Good, gripping stuff. Dr. Ruth Galloway is an archaeologist who gets drawn into an unlikely number of police investigations, but I have read three now and they are good page turners.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I think that was me as I really like her books and I love the characters. There hasn't been a bad book in the series.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Mar 18, 6:13 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I am well into a new Jeffrey Deaver - Burial Hour.

Very unusually, Rhyme and co go to Naples.

• Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 10th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 7,186 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    I am well into a new Jeffrey Deaver - Burial Hour.

Very unusually, Rhyme and co go to Naples.
    Loved that book! Mind, I have read every Jeffrey Deaver book and have been rarely disappointed.
    Normal people worry me.
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 10th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,707 Thanks
    Charly27
    I really enjoyed these, it's definitely worth sticking with them as they're such a good series. The newest paperback editions have such lovely covers too
    Originally posted by Callie22
    Finished ‘the Light Years’ and reserved ‘Marking Time’ at the library. Hope I don’t have to wait too long as I’m still engaged with the characters. I agree about the covers so pretty.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read 15/48
    18 in 2018 4/18
    It is what it is.
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 10th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,707 Thanks
    Charly27
    Just finished ‘This House is Haunted’ by John Boyne . He wrote ‘The Boy in Striped Pyjamas’. It was the first ghost story I’ve read in years and actually I loved it. Set in 1867 and in London and Norfolk I really liked the main character Eliza and wanted to keep turning the pages. I’d give this 9/10. Also finished “The Spring House” by Alison May on my Kindle app. I love Alison May’s books about the seasons- it’s her suggestions from The Winter House that I’ve just completed. I think I’ll wait until later in the year to read the titles I couldn’t easily get hold of.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read 15/48
    18 in 2018 4/18
    It is what it is.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm going to be waiting in for some workmen today, hopefully! I am charging my kindle as I speak.

I have about 19 books lined up on my kindle as I got a lot of free ones with Amazon Prime.

Today I should read:

Life Beyond Fibromyalgia - Elaine Merryfield, then

Strange Magic
    - Syd Moore.

I think the first one is quite short and I read quickly.

I might sit in the garden as it looks quite nice and warm out there.

Just finished ‘This House is Haunted’ by John Boyne .
    Originally posted by Charly27
    Oh, I remember that I loved that too. I love a good ghost story!
    Books Read 24/60
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 11th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 8,428 Thanks
    Callie22
    I read 'Elinor Oliphant is completely fine' this week and really enjoyed it. It's not the easiest story to read but it was very good - there were moment when I genuinely laughed out loud (I'm never going to hear YMCA in the same way ...) and other parts were really moving, so it's a definite recommend from me.

I also read 'My name is Lucy Barton' by Elizabeth Strout, which is about the relationship between a mother and daughter. It wasn't a bad book and from the quality of the writing I can see why it was a Booker nominee, but I didn't love it. It's one of those slightly wafty modern novels where there's a point rather than a story, and although it wasn't a long book it felt like it took a very long time to say anything and I was left feeling a bit 'meh'. I don't feel I wasted my time reading it but it's probably one for the Oxfam bag. In the same vein I also read 'Sag Harbor' by Colson Whitehead, which is about a young African-American boy spending the summer on Long Island. To be honest it left me a bit underwhelmed, but I've heard a lot of good things about his 'Underground Railroad' so I'll give that a go.

I'm also reading 'In Other Worlds' by Margaret Atwood, which is a collection of essays about science fiction and its influence on her writing. I think it's great, but I'm an Atwood fan who'd recommend almost everything she's ever written. Last night I also started 'Gather the Daughters' by Jennie Melamed, which is a dystopian novel about a small island community that is isolated from the world after some unspecified apocalyptic event. I'm only about 20% through that at the moment so I have no idea where it's heading, but it's an interesting read.
    Last edited by Callie22; 11-03-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    • Blackcatsreturns
    • By Blackcatsreturns 11th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    Blackcatsreturns
    I've just finished Three Things About Elsie. I listen on audible and it was narrated by Paula Wilcox who was superb. It was a lovely, well written book. Poignant and funny. I wanted to finish it to find out what happens but didn't want it to end if you see what I mean. The ending made me cry which was a bit awkward as I was on a busy commuter train! 10/10
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Strange Magic - Syd Moore.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I actually quite enjoyed that book yesterday and I bought the second book in the series - Strange Sight: An Essex Witch Museum Mystery.

I have read her other books The Drowning Pool and Witch Hunt. I like the way she mentions Essex a lot, haha. The Drowning Pool was set in Leigh-on-Sea, as I remember.
    Books Read 24/60
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 13th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,995 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    I've finished The Chilbury Ladies Choir and would thoroughly recommend it. Based around WW2, it tells the tale of a small village whereby when the men have gone to war, the vicar decides to cancel the local choir until the women decide to have a female only one. The story is told through a series of letters and journal entries (luckily not to too many people otherwise I would have been confused). I understand from the authors note that the reason for her writing this way was as part of the mass observation exercise run by the government in trying to capture people's lives through this difficult time.

A really good read. You can see how the women drew their strength and then themselves, grew as people. Not slushy, but there is a little romance, there are plenty of other goings on to keep you engaged. It looks like there may be a follow up, which I look forward to reading.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 8,968 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I've just finished Three Things About Elsie. I listen on audible and it was narrated by Paula Wilcox who was superb. It was a lovely, well written book. Poignant and funny. I wanted to finish it to find out what happens but didn't want it to end if you see what I mean. The ending made me cry which was a bit awkward as I was on a busy commuter train! 10/10
    Originally posted by Blackcatsreturns
    I know I loved it as well.

You may like Life, Death & Vanilla Slices by Jenny Éclair - I listened to a recording of this, narrated by Jenny Éclair and that again was very good.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 25,631 Posts
    • 54,357 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Am getting serious withdrawal symptoms! Have been so tied up with stuff I haven't had time to sit down properly with any one book. I don't enjoy reading so much if its just a few pages at a time, the book loses momentum for me

Had lots of minutes here and there to dip into MSE though. Thank goodness for 4G
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Blackcatsreturns
    • By Blackcatsreturns 14th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    Blackcatsreturns
    Thank you for the recommendation "Getting-there". I've just bought it on audible. I read the summary and it sounds fab. So many of my recent choices have been recommended on this thread. Really grateful for the suggestions as they have helped me broaden my reading horizons.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I loved Life, Death and Vanilla Slices, too!

At the moment, I am lost in Wuthering Heights!

It must be 15 years or so since I last read it when I taught it for A-level with a brilliant class. Soooo good!

• Callie22
    • By Callie22 16th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 8,428 Thanks
    Callie22
    At the moment, I am lost in Wuthering Heights!

It must be 15 years or so since I last read it when I taught it for A-level with a brilliant class. Soooo good!
    Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite books too, although it took at least fifteen years for me to pick it up again after my A-Levels. I had an awful teacher who hated the book and had a bit of a 'thing' against female writers, and he really ruined it for me for a long time. Having said that in the meantime I've read pretty much everything else the Bronte sisters wrote and really enjoyed it all. It's such a shame when you get a teacher who hates the books on the syllabus - in the same vein I'm not sure I'll ever be able to read Animal Farm or Gulliver's Travels again ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,083Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin