Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 25,713Posts
    • 54,564Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm’s Thread 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    The Bookworm’s Thread 2018 1st Jan 18 at 11:00 AM
    Welcome to 2018 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 3 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 and 2017 threads, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! Last year 55 of the 60 books I read fully for pleasure were over 300 pages long, 5 were what I would describe as lightweight, perhaps 35% fiction and the rest factual. Many books I started remain unfinished, and I have some cracking fiction on my shelf which deserves my attention this year!

Recently, I!!!8217;ve found myself having to justify my likeness for books and my ever-expanding collection (people seem to think that shifting over 1,000 of them might have put me off the literary cause somewhat). In simple terms, if you need to remind others of what reading brings, here!!!8217;s a neat explanation: This is How Reading Benefits Your Health.

Happy reading in 2018, and remember:

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 2
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 7th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Charly27
    I decided not to read the Alexander Technique book as I had to do exercises alongside reading the book so thought I would leave that for a couple of months.

My new list for January:

1. Watching the English - Kate Fox

A charity shop buy. Witty and funny so far. It's a very accurate description of how English people behave. I will give this to a friend afterwards.

2. Mastermind - Maria Konnikova

How to think like Sherlock Holmes. This book is really dull! I bought it at full price so I will persevere with this one. This will definitely be donated to a charity shop afterwards.

3. How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free - E J.Zelinski

My aim is to be retired from work at age 50 so the subject is super interesting to me. I started this one at the end of 2017 so I will include it for January too. Bought full price, but I will hold onto this book after I read it.

4. The Happiness Trap - Russ Harris

I borrowed this from a friend. Self-help book based on ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. I read a couple of chapters of this one and it seems very familiar so I'm not sure if I have read it before or I have just read about the ACT therapy before. I might not bother reading all of this book and just give it back.

5. A Stranger in the house - Shari Lapena

Fiction thriller - I haven't started this one yet. If it's really good I usually try to read a book like this in one go so I will keep this for a weekend read.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Might keep a look out for number 3 although I’m 54 this year so I might have to lower my sights!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read 15/48
    18 in 2018 4/18
    It is what it is.
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 7th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Charly27
    I!!!8217;d like to read 4 a month[*]Children!!!8217;s book The Iron Woman by Ted Hughes read for work
    1. Classic The Great Gatsby read first chapter
    2. Non Fiction The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin on my Kindle App. I!!!8217;ve read all her books so Im looking forward to this one.
      A room swept white by Sophie Hannah impulse CS buy
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read 15/48
    18 in 2018 4/18
    It is what it is.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 7th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 65,178 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I’d like to read 4 a month[*]Children’s book The Iron Woman by Ted Hughes read for work
    1. Classic The Great Gatsby read first chapter
    2. Non Fiction The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin on my Kindle App. I’ve read all her books so Im looking forward to this one.
      A room swept white by Sophie Hannah impulse CS buy
    Originally posted by Charly27
    Sophie Hannah is excellent.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Might keep a look out for number 3 although I!!!8217;m 54 this year so I might have to lower my sights!
    Originally posted by Charly27
    It was really good and a very positive book. It made me think about the different areas of my life and what I need to improve before I retire. It is a very easy read as well, which is refreshing, as lots of information on retirement can be quite heavy going.

I've now read 3 books this year. Mastermind (I read some of that in 2017 so it was just finishing it off) Watching the English and the rest of the retirement book.
    Last edited by Wednesday2000; 08-01-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • elmer
    • By elmer 8th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    elmer
    I have started posting on another OS thread and spotted this one, so may I lurk please, i work in a library, after a career at Waterstones, so although I now no longer need to read up to 8 books a week, Im finding it difficult to identify new authors I might like for the more relaxed reading schedule I am now enjoying, I also have an extremely large stash of unread books, but I do like a nice conversation about my favourites
    So my apologies if I dont post much, but I shall enjoy all the chat and maybe interject occasionally?

elmer

Ps I am currently reading the new Chris Brookmyre Places in the Darkness, Im on the first chapter and as its set in space, Im keen to see where he goes with it.
    Last edited by elmer; 08-01-2018 at 6:24 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 54,564 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Welcome, elmer.
    I now no longer need to read up to 8 books a week
    Originally posted by elmer
    We’ll be looking to you for suggestions!

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • elmer
    • By elmer 9th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    elmer
    In the interests of honesty, I did work in the children's department, so 4 of those books were children books, but I didn't count the picture books at all.

I always felt that being paid to work with books was my ideal job, but I am really enjoying the library now, its similar but much more time for chat and no sales targets, and I am only there 1 day a week, its my favourite day of the week

elmer
    • Syman
    • By Syman 11th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 6,130 Thanks
    Syman
    Finished

It was an engrossing read, a bitter sweet tale. The relationships between characters seem at times a little "controversial", but all comes together to make a coherent story in the end.

Next on my list is:-

Been on my kindle for ages,so about time i read it.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 22/48
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 8,432 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I just finished reading Letters To The Midwife which are personal letters written to the author Jennifer Worth by fans of her Call The Midwife trilogy of books and her personal handwritten replies. I found the whole book absolutely fascinating and I would personally give this book 9/10
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 15,961 Posts
    • 135,464 Thanks
    JackieO
    almost finished a book I picked up on Saturday by accident from the library Its called Baby Doll by Hollie Overton and its one of those can't-put-it-down books. quite scary at times, my next book will be Nella Last's Peace which I also got on Saturday
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =Ł126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals Ł31.11 June spends so far Ł18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 54,564 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Good to see your recommendations! I'd be interested to hear what you think of the book on Brunel, Syman.

Have slipped back into my slovenly habits and am actively and half way through 4 books atm, so expect a deluge of reviews by the end of the month!

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 17th Jan 18, 11:45 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 8,432 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I finished reading The Hunt by T.J. Lebbon in the early hours of the morning because I just could not put it down. It is a very fast paced, taut, thriller. What would you do if suddenly your life was turned upside down because your wife and children are being held hostage and you are told that you have become the human target in the hunt? I would give this book 9.5/10
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 18th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 24,035 Posts
    • 62,625 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Days Without End - Sebastian Barry!

It!!!8217;s our book group choice and I can!!!8217;t put it down! Such beautiful writing, with a very clear narrative voice. I am reading it quite slowly as I relish every word.

It!!!8217;s set in America during the Indian and, later the Civil War.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Syman
    • By Syman 18th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 6,130 Thanks
    Syman
    Finished the Brunel book.
    What an amazing engineer he was. His achievements would be amazing even with today's tech. What he did with the tools available to him are truly spectacular. The book also explored the darker, more ruthless side to his nature.

Also, we know about the GWR, bridges and ships. What i found remarkable was that he had so many projects running concurrently.

Next book is back to murder and mayhem...

• Penniesforfuture
    • By Penniesforfuture 20th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Penniesforfuture
    I'm not much of a bookworm as I never used to have the time to read or just it didn't appeal to me ,
    but I have a lot of my books still in a cardboard box and would like to have less screen time.

I've begun to read Miss Peregrine!!!8217;s Home for Peculiar Children but not too far into the book yet.
    I've set myself a good read challenge of reading 10 books, biggest me just picking up A book is a big thing for me lmao
    Emergency Funds: Ł217.32 / Ł1,000
    SPC #201 - Ł42.44 | VSPC #?? Ł3.98 |
    EF B/A : Ł170.90

Taking one step a time.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 20th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 6,130 Thanks
    Syman
    I'm not much of a bookworm as I never used to have the time to read or just it didn't appeal to me ,
    but I have a lot of my books still in a cardboard box and would like to have less screen time.

I've begun to read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children but not too far into the book yet.
    I've set myself a good read challenge of reading 10 books, biggest me just picking up A book is a big thing for me lmao
    Originally posted by Penniesforfuture
    I think the trick to getting your reading up is to find an author, or subject you enjoy and go for that. Then you can branch out for similar writers and subjects.

Don't pressure yourself into reading a book just because you have bought, or been given it.
    The last book i read i bought in 2013, but just wasn't "feeling it" finally read after 5 years on the kindle.

• greentiger
    • By greentiger 21st Jan 18, 12:17 AM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 15,604 Thanks
    greentiger
    Doh! Lost my post!

My challenge for 2018 is to read the books I already have! Somehow I seem to attract them, e.g. a bowling friend of my husband has been sending me (and his wife's) his finished books! I have never met the man and he doesn't have clue what my taste is!

Rather than just grabbing any book off the shelf, I am going to 'read the alphabet', by titles. That'll do 26. After that I'll do books with numbers in the title. It's unlikely, but if I finish that lot I'll go back to the alphabet, but by author.

I'm cheating a bit and starting with 'O' because I started Philippa Gregory's "The Other Queen" last year. I'm not a great fan of historical novels, but I like Mary, Queen of Scots. I did enjoy this book.
    queen by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

My list is
    A - "According to Yes" by Dawn French
    Not the greatest literature but a quick read.
    A by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    B - "The Black Swan" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    What have the invention of the wheel, Pompeii, the Wall Street Crash, Harry Potter and the internet got in common? Why are all forecasters con-artists? What can Catherine the Great's lovers tell us about probability? Why should you never run for a train or read a newspaper? This book is all about Black Swans: the random events that underlie our lives, from bestsellers to world disasters. Their impact is huge; they're impossible to predict; yet after they happen we always try to rationalize them. A rallying cry to ignore the 'experts', The Black Swan shows us how to stop trying to predict everything - and take advantage of uncertainty.
    I think this will be a 'dip in and out' book
    B by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

I have plenty of 'C' titles to choose from.
    Stashbusting 74
    Reading Challenge 18/26
    Film Challenge 13/26[COLOR="Blue"]
    Weight Loss 1 2.2/9
    Weight Loss 2 3.0/9
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    • 25,713 Posts
    • 54,564 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    A bit late to the party, but Book 1:

7/10. I liked this book for a number of reasons, and the plot line was probably the least of it! The familiarity of many of the locations described, the humanity of the characters, and their progressive views given the time set this apart. It was also very funny in parts.

Am making substantial progress on several others

• CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 21st Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    I think the trick to getting your reading up is to find an author, or subject you enjoy and go for that. Then you can branch out for similar writers and subjects.

Don't pressure yourself into reading a book just because you have bought, or been given it.
    The last book i read i bought in 2013, but just wasn't "feeling it" finally read after 5 years on the kindle.
    Originally posted by Syman
    So true are those words Syman. I have bought books in the past and persevered and seen the reading of the book a real chore. Over the past few years, with an author I don't know of, I will read the first chapter via Kindle to see if I like the style of writing and this makes it easier for me to decide whether to part with my money via kindle (if reasonably priced) or go to the library even. I have also stopped reading books that I am not getting after a couple of chapters as there are too many books and so little time.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 21st Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 6,130 Thanks
    Syman
    So true are those words Syman. I have bought books in the past and persevered and seen the reading of the book a real chore. Over the past few years, with an author I don't know of, I will read the first chapter via Kindle to see if I like the style of writing and this makes it easier for me to decide whether to part with my money via kindle (if reasonably priced) or go to the library even. I have also stopped reading books that I am not getting after a couple of chapters as there are too many books and so little time.
    Originally posted by CurlyTop
    I don't finish books i am not enjoying either, and for exactly the same reason, however, i do hang on to them.....Just in case i have a change of heart!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

2,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin