Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 26,053Posts
    • 55,538Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm’s Thread 2018
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    The Bookworm’s Thread 2018 1st Jan 18 at 11:00 AM
    Welcome to 2018 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 3 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 and 2017 threads, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! Last year 55 of the 60 books I read fully for pleasure were over 300 pages long, 5 were what I would describe as lightweight, perhaps 35% fiction and the rest factual. Many books I started remain unfinished, and I have some cracking fiction on my shelf which deserves my attention this year!

Recently, I’ve found myself having to justify my likeness for books and my ever-expanding collection (people seem to think that shifting over 1,000 of them might have put me off the literary cause somewhat). In simple terms, if you need to remind others of what reading brings, here’s a neat explanation: This is How Reading Benefits Your Health.

Happy reading in 2018, and remember:

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 11
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 26,053 Posts
    • 55,538 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 11:

8/10 - a short one, but a good one! Great to be able to recap simple lessons in leadership.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 10th May 18, 10:15 AM
    • 19,730 Posts
    • 45,667 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Over Punctuation, grrrrrr!
    Does it drive anyone else mad?

I picked up a book at the library last week with a great synopsis and was really looking forward to reading it. As soon as I started reading I realised the entire book was grossly over punctuated. It had commas in the middle of sentences that didn't need to be there, full stops after three or four word sentences, semi colons all over the place, completely interrupting the flow. It was so bad I gave up.

This week I popped in to the library, taking said book back with only half a chapter read, and picked up some more titles from the 'express' section. I didn't pay any attention to the authors, just chose some interesting storylines. Low and behold, when I got home I started reading the book I was most looking forward to, only to realise it was by the same bloomin' author, again grossly over punctuated.

I'm going to persevere this time, see if I can manage to block out the commas, but it just makes reading a chore rather than a pleasure when words don't flow properly.

It does make me wonder why the editor didn't suggest less punctuation. Did the author think it made them stand out from other writers in their genre? Well they're right, it does, but not for a good reason.

Rant over
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Syman
    • By Syman 10th May 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Syman

I picked up a book at the library last week with a great synopsis and was really looking forward to reading it. As soon as I started reading I realised the entire book was grossly over punctuated. It had commas in the middle of sentences that didn't need to be there, full stops after three or four word sentences, semi colons all over the place, completely interrupting the flow. It was so bad I gave up.

This week I popped in to the library, taking said book back with only half a chapter read, and picked up some more titles from the 'express' section. I didn't pay any attention to the authors, just chose some interesting storylines. Low and behold, when I got home I started reading the book I was most looking forward to, only to realise it was by the same bloomin' author, again grossly over punctuated.

I'm going to persevere this time, see if I can manage to block out the commas, but it just makes reading a chore rather than a pleasure when words don't flow properly.

It does make me wonder why the editor didn't suggest less punctuation. Did the author think it made them stand out from other writers in their genre? Well they're right, it does, but not for a good reason.

Rant over
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    I cannot agree or disagree, as i do not which book you are referring to.

Just finished this

very unexpected twist at the end.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 49/48
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 10th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 19,730 Posts
    • 45,667 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I cannot agree or disagree, as i do not which book you are referring to.
    Originally posted by Syman
    It was a rant in general, but the two books this week are 'The Day She Disappeared' and 'The Crooked House' by Christobel Kent. I have a feeling I also gave up on her 'The Loving Husband' some time back.

Having just read some reviews of her books it seems that many people don't like her writing style. She seems to be a bit marmite.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 12th May 18, 3:02 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    Charly27
    I’ve now completed my 15th book this year. Callie22- that’s all of the Cazalet Chronicles now. Read ‘Casting Off’ in April (that made four) and ‘All Change’ last week. Felt a bit bereft after five books about the same family which I suppose is a good sign? Not sure where to go fiction wise as too many choices so I’m reading a couple of non-fiction The Joy of Less by Francine Jay (Miss Minimalist), The Telomere Effect and Rich Dad, Poor Dad on my Kindle. Thanks for all the great recommendations, my wish list in my bullet journal just keeps growing.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read 23/48
    18 in 2018 6/18
    It is what it is.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 26,053 Posts
    • 55,538 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 12:

7/10. Another quick read that does what it says on the tin, so in that sense it's inspiring.

• Syman
    • By Syman 13th May 18, 7:12 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Syman
    It was a rant in general, but the two books this week are 'The Day She Disappeared' and 'The Crooked House' by Christobel Kent. I have a feeling I also gave up on her 'The Loving Husband' some time back.

Having just read some reviews of her books it seems that many people don't like her writing style. She seems to be a bit marmite.
    It is not something i have found in any particular book.I have "the crooked house" on my kindle so may give it a look.

Just finished

• RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 13th May 18, 6:24 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    I haven't posted in here in a while, which doesn't mean that I haven't been reading.

Everyone brave is forgiven - Chris Cleave
    Really enjoyed reading it, it was quite sad and intense at times, but also quite good fun due to the way it is written and some lovely expressions. One sentence went something like this: "THey rebuild their battery with the help of some manuels. Had they taken the wrong one it could also have turned into a bus shelter or a small factory for screws."

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban / Harry Potter and the Goblet of FIre - J. K. Rowling

Not much to say about that...

The japanese lover - Isabel Allende

Really enjoyed reading it from the first few pages on. It left some lose plot lines at the end, but I think I'm ok with that.

Fever at Dawn - Peter Gardos

Read the first 20 or so pages so far and although it is a nice read I don't really know if I'll like it.

Things I'm planning to read

Harry Potter 5-7
    Russian Winter - Daphne Kalotay. Read it 3 years or so ago and wanted to reread it for a while
    The dust that falls from dreams - Louis de Bernieres
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th May 18, 6:47 PM
    • 26,053 Posts
    • 55,538 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Just finished
    Originally posted by Syman
    How did you find it? It's anlther one that's been sitting on my shelf for ages....

If you recommend it I might dive in, from what I remember it's another short-ish book (under 200 pages).

• Syman
    • By Syman 13th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Syman
    How did you find it? It's anlther one that's been sitting on my shelf for ages....

If you recommend it I might dive in, from what I remember it's another short-ish book (under 200 pages).
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    It is another book where to say "i enjoyed it" kind of does it a disservice.

I would recommend reading it. As you say, it is a short book.

• Syman
    • By Syman 14th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Syman
    Book 23 finished

• timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 15th May 18, 8:02 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    Seem to have hit a seam of fixup future jumping mid century sci fi. The outward urge (Wyndham) follows generations of one family as they quest deeper into space each time with varying degrees of personal success, but always furthering the cause of space exploration. Written before the moon landings, so interesting to see how different imagination and reality are in that respect.

Foundation- Isaac Asimov another classic, the empire will collapse, a psychohistorian sees it coming and sets a new foundation in motion, he predicts they will hit various crisis points during the time they have and the story follows the people who move through the crisis and how they resolve it (peaceably, Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent). Beautifully written, the trick to some really good sci if is that you forget you are meant to be in the future on a different planet, the characters and the story are so engaging. Reading the second now.
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 15th May 18, 11:18 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,291 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Syman: What did you think of the B.A. Paris book? I've just finished "Behind Closed Doors" and was thinking of getting "Bring Me Back".
    Normal people worry me.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 15th May 18, 6:32 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Syman
    Syman: What did you think of the B.A. Paris book? I've just finished "Behind Closed Doors" and was thinking of getting "Bring Me Back".
    Originally posted by Hobsons Choice
    It is worth a read. i think the plot was a bit of a stretch to believe. but a page turner nonetheless.

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 15th May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 65,179 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Yep, me, as do typos and mis-spellings and just plain simple wrong usage of a word.

eg a hoard of insects, a peel of laughter (and, in the same book, 'bells were peeling in the distance,' so it's not even a typo, just carelessness somewhere in the editing/proof-reading/type-setting system.

And don't get me started on phrasing such as 'She was sat on the ground' ...

One book I read had a character who referred to 'teenagers' - which leapt out at me as the book was set in the early 1800s and the word teenage doesn't appear till the 1920s.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Callie22
    • By Callie22 15th May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 8,704 Thanks
    Callie22
    eg a hoard of insects, a peel of laughter (and, in the same book, 'bells were peeling in the distance,' so it's not even a typo, just carelessness somewhere in the editing/proof-reading/type-setting system.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    I was once reading a news article about a tragic character that I couldn't take at all seriously as the writer kept describing him as a 'heroine addict'. That made it all seem rather pleasant, as if he had a raging addiction to the novels of Jane Austen rather than to illegal substances.
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 16th May 18, 4:53 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    In the past few weeks I have read All That She Can See by Carrie Hope Fletcher. For me it was too far fetched, the characters were ok and it started off well and then the plot got worse.
    2/10

Ive also finished reading wanted by nick Stephenson was a very good action packed book. 9/10

I have just started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
    by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows
    The Ł1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    Ł2 saver club #26 Ł104
    August Grocery challenge Ł43/Ł200
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 26,053 Posts
    • 55,538 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 13:

8/10. I read this with a permanent smile on my face, it gave me some real lol moments, and his pithy TopTips and Practice Questions were the cherry on a sweet cake. Ideal for a train journey when you have a couple of hours to yourself.

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 16th May 18, 9:26 PM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 65,179 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I was once reading a news article about a tragic character that I couldn't take at all seriously as the writer kept describing him as a 'heroine addict'. That made it all seem rather pleasant, as if he had a raging addiction to the novels of Jane Austen rather than to illegal substances.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    My current reading features a dog which is a 'lercher' by breed.

The word (or should I say non-word) 'lercher' has appeared at least 20 times
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th May 18, 7:38 PM
    • 26,053 Posts
    • 55,538 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 14:

7.5/10, a compulsive and harrowing read although not a work of literary genius. I think it should be made compulsory reading for school aged children.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

597Posts Today

6,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin