Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 1st Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,567Posts
    • 11,966Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this NEW YEAR'S week? W/C 01/01/18
    • 1st Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this NEW YEAR'S week? W/C 01/01/18 1st Jan 18 at 9:05 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
Page 5
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 4,088 Posts
    • 21,154 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Saturday Savers,
    Hadn't any great hopes of any money saving activity today but there have been a few tiny things:
    *Treated Mum to coffee & cake but she bought lunch so that was fairly cash neutral.
    *Came back from Mum's with usual mixture of donated odds & sods - paper napkins, recycled jam-jars, baking paper loaf tin liners, magazines, etc.
    *Free coffee & newspaper in Waitrose courtesy of Mum's shopping.
    *Waitrose was heaving with yellow stickers but we did our own shopping yesterday so did not succumb to temptation. The only thing I bought was 2 packs of Christmas bun cases at 15p each.....not very Christmassy at all so will use them all year.
    *A belated Christmas gift for each of us from elderly relative - a big box of chocs for mr f (into which we are making steady headway) & a big gift set of toiletries for me which will last a good long time. The container is designed to be re-used as a planter & will look good in the bedroom.
    *Knit....still not finished back of my jumper & want to wear it so must get cracking.
    Not money saving = 150 miles of diesel but no way around that. Now my elderly Mum is on her own, we need to visit more regularly.
    Feet up tonight &looking forward to watching next 2 episodes of French crime drama.
    Love to all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 800-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 259
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 14,811 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hello everyone were back from our much needed trip away and it was very good. So lovely to get away from the hustle and bustle of normal life. Spends were very low so thats good too.

Friday was payday, so all money now moved to the right pots and all ok
    Moved interest from high interest account
    There was talk of a takeaway tonight but mr PF got some mince out and were having chilli instead
    Overpaid loan by 116 we were in credit day before payday
    Sorted through some items for sale and put a load aside to go back
    Paid off the items Im keeping from clothes piggie

Other things to do:
    Call bank and get them to take back the 90 they gave us whilst a transaction on our account was been investigated and its now resolved
    Make a new food tracker for the year
    Get a present and card from stash for party small is going to tomorrow
    Continue radiator shuffle

Lovely to see old (as in previous ) and new posters. Lovely to *see* you Ziggy
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Jan 18, 8:10 AM
    • 6,855 Posts
    • 40,174 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi Purps glad you had a good break! And kudos on steering away from the TA It's weird we've got to a point where I can't imagine getting a TA. Haven't for a couple of months now, but every time we do it's always so disappointing! I think batch cooking is the way to go, so I can grab something, I don't need to cook or have much of a faff. Anyway ramblings!

I went out last night and only went slightly over my budget of 10 by 95p (I got some crisps which tipped me over - do not regret it all!) Good to know I can be in control of my budget when I want to

Hurrah to another day of the weekend

Today:
    * hang up washing & do another load
    * going to the allotment shortly with a neighbour as we are going to share my plot - now I'm returning to ft work I don't want to have the whole plot so this is the perfect solution
    * hopefully walk to the lottie
    * madam having a ys choc a plain for breakfast (5p!)
    * chicken in gravy out of the freezer for dinner. Will use veg from freezer mmmm lots of home grown veg
    * need to do a quick tidy round before things get out of hand!
    * going to SM to get shopping - really could have hung out longer but they have coffee on offer so want to stock up oh asked if we were opening a coffee house
    * knitting/reading booking/maybe a film with oh tonight?/early night - some combination of these!
    * iron clothes & make oh's lunch for tomorrow
    * soak butter beans for tomorrow's dinner/batch cook

Ok that will do for now Have a great day x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 07-01-2018 at 9:02 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 14,811 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all agree on TA determined chilli was so good and plenty left for another meal great idea on allotment sharing.

Today:

Dry last of washing on radiators and put away the mountain that has been created in the last 2 days. So far, no ironing
    Get ready for back to work and school tomorrow, packed lunches etc
    Write meal plan, include some batch cool items
    Write small shopping list and see if I need to go
    Relax with DH tonight
    Small to party, glad I wrapped present last night as we over slept
    Post registration form through leaders door to save postage. Smallest starting rainbows
    Check nothing in fridge needs using
    Get something out for tea.

Enjoy your Sunday peeps. Purps.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Haven't been on much as haven't had much to report except for the usual cat cleaning etc!

If anyone is enough to put u off shopping its DM! she is raring to start wrapping the Christmas presents she has ready for 2018!!!! DM doesn't leave the house so I have been picking up things for her that she has been after. Went to B@@ts to try and find an item she was after in the 50% sale. She had one already and wanted another, on my search I found one but next door is the C'rd Factory which had gone 75% on their Christmas stuff that morning. A phone call later resulted in a bag full of bows, posh bags for peanuts and even more paper that DM requested but if there is anything to put u off shopping its being all shopped out. Have said to DM that unless its an important thing she wants as she is preparing for birthdays aswell, I am going to try and avoid town.She has carers going in and likes to get her favourites a little something. They were very kind with her with some buying her a little present for Christmas.
    Have been quite shocked where I live, it has been dead. People are obviously still using up stocks or just don't have the money after Christmas.
    Apart from cat litter I am still well stocked up, have been using my slow cooker and still have plenty of cat food in. Budgets have been written up to the end of March.
    Catching up on RM survey postings, missed doing a couple during Christmas.
    Have a couple of things to put on ebay.
    Back to hitting the paperwork tomorrow so apart from doing a couple of bits I'm going to have an easy day today. Definitely a NSD
    Lunch will be leftovers.......and I bet will taste nicer than the original meal!
    Have a great day everyone xx
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 5,047 Posts
    • 39,838 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all (just about!)
    Aargh, does anyone else have a freezer problem like mine? For everything I take out, more seems to go in For example, this morning I decided to make blue cheese and walnut scones to use up some blue cheese that has been lurking since Christmas... this was good, I thought, as I will be able to use up a small bag of walnuts in the freezer.... so out came about 30g of walnuts, and in goes half a batch of scones

Anyway, apart from that, I have had a lazy morning, which is in my mind entirely appropriate for a Sunday!
    * Yummy foraged blackberries from freezer for breakfast, instead of bought fruit
    * Walked mutt
    * Load of washing out on line (brrr that was a cold job! )

Still to do:
    Cheese scones for lunch Done
    Pack 2 ebay sales ready to post tomorrow Done
    Some cleaning Hmm not really
    Patch my jeans - I will only be using iron on stuff, but I hate ironing almost as much as sewing, so it keeps getting put off Done
    Walk dog again Done
    Fold washing and put on airer overnight to finish off It was dry enough to go straight into the airing cupboard - must have freeze dried in the cold wind!
    Some bolognese / savoury mince stuff made the other day in fridge for dinner, with a jacket potato, a side salad and some grated cheese, easy Done, roasted some chestnuts on the wood burner for 'afters'
    Listed 2 more items on ebay

Good idea to share your allotment DNMS, you will have less time than currently with your new job. When will you start BTW?
    Last edited by DawnW; 07-01-2018 at 8:32 PM.
    NSDs for June 7 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc 136.68 / 250
    Fuel 50.01 / 100

• 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 7th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Morning all! Finally got around to sorting out my food cupboard yesterday so now feel super organised...(by comparison to my normal approach) and recognise I have enough pasta to see me through most of the year I think! Have challenged DD to think of various things she wants to eat with pasta so each weekend she is home it'll be a pasta meal as default. We started planning for an assault on the pasta mountain by stealing a portion from the chicken defrosting for the fajitas today to fry up and refreeze ready for pasta next week. I'm a big fan of setting aside extra portions before serving up rather than hoping for leftovers.... Usually it works! I also have more heading for the freezer than from it at the moment.
    Today's things:
    Used up last of bendy veg in the fahitas
    Am on third round of dishwasher and washing machine now
    Windy and bright so hoping bedding will dry outside
    Folks coming over to potter about and do jobs with me (I hope). Will be sending some stuff destined for other relatives back with them to avoid having to take it on the bus with me (and to get it out of my house!)
    I am away from home for work for the next few nights. Planning a long hot bath, hair wash etc in hotel. Have booked all travel ahead and resolved to treat work expenses as NSDs as long as I submit the claim within the same working week to avoid getting in the same pickle.
    About to pack for the trip to make sure I take a few jobs to do for myself with me. Have removed gel nails myself and am planning to repaint tonight. Making scones rather than buying cake for snacks today.
    Hops all are warm in this chilly day!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 6,855 Posts
    • 40,174 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I haven't agreed a start date yet! I have to wait for my dbs to come through, so who knows when it will be? It's at the last stage but been there since the 20th. For now I'm making the most of my pt hours and no night shifts

allotment trip with neighbour was great success. she's up for it and a really interesting person. I think this is the beginning of something special!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 4,088 Posts
    • 21,154 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Afternoon chilly money savers,
    Pleasant day so far. Mr f's last day of a lovely long 2 weeks off, so enjoying a relaxing day together.
    *No downstairs heating on until later as have been out all morning.
    *Went out to an NT place this morning. Used our annual passes to get in. Bracing frosty walk. Mr f found some bargains in the 2nd hand bookshop Inc a DVD box set he was after for 3 (from his personal spends so no hit on budget). I bought a couple of things in the gift shop sale to pop in the presents box.
    *Have already achieved my target 7000 daily steps.
    *Leftovers defrosting for tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Washer set on timer for half price laundry on overnight tariff.
    *Finish knitting back of jumper & cast on a sleeve.
    *Wrote my job list for tomorrow when it will be back to routines, as I have 3 meetings this week & a local political project to finish as well as lots of things I really need to get done around the house.
    *Mr f is roasting the large joint of pork he got for half price after Christmas. Have just cast my expert 'rubber meat' eye over it & reckon it should stretch to a good few meals.
    *Peruse Avon brochure to see if my favourite foundation is half price, as that's the only time I buy it.
    *Look for a container to use as new 'shrapnel box' as previous one looked v shabby & didn't make it through our new year blitz of upstairs.
    Stay warm all - have got my shawl round my shoulders which I knitted from yarn my Mum didn't want & edged it with yarn my sister didn't want (But oddly, they both liked the finished shawl!)
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 6,855 Posts
    • 40,174 Thanks
    determined new ms
    foxgloves how is your mum doing?
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 4,088 Posts
    • 21,154 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Kind of you to ask, DNMS. I think she's ok on the whole....good days & bad....I guess that's to be expected after a marriage of 57 years. The main difficulties are that Mum is a real introvert. Dad always sorted out anything that involved constructive communication like phone calls or dealing with utilities. My sister & I are more like him.....sociable & very talkative. The other problem is living 75 miles away. My sis is slightly nearer but has to get out of London first so there's not a lot in it. It means just popping in for a coffee or running her to the shops when I'm going myself isn't an option & she is reliant on neighbours for lifts to Drs, optician, etc. We are visiting fortnightly & trying to pack in a lot while we are there to make the most of the 150 mile round trip. It's going ok so far. I have a friend with an elderly mother & I've watched her make a rod for her own back over the years. I'm not about to make the same mistake, so we are supporting Mum but trying to ensure she retains as much independence as possible xx
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 11,966 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Oh...
    And CLF.....I meant to respond to the comment made to you about your long letter. I love writing letters & also receiving them. My lovely friend who sadly died last year wrote fab letters & I used to put the kettle on & sit down & enjoy every one. I saw a local news item on TV before Christmas where a teacher had twinned her class of primary school children with residents of an old people's home & they were writing letters to each other. This was because when they were doing letter writing skills, the teacher discovered that none of the kids in her class had ever received a proper letter written just to them in the post. Lots of the old folk had nobody left to write to them so loved getting letters from the children. I'm going to make more effort to write proper letters this year. So my view on the comment made to you was that it was churlish & not my experience at all!
    Better get this bread in the oven now before it climbs out of its basket
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Thanks Foxgloves

• vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 7th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    vickthestick
    Post registration form through leaders door to save postage. Smallest starting rainbows

Enjoy your Sunday peeps. Purps.
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Hope Smallest enjoys Rainbows. I'm a Rainbow Leader myself

Brother and SIL have left us in good spirits and they bought the squash for the lunches and dinners and everything except an extra couple of carrots and broccoli was from stores. Went for some lovely walks in the minus weather.

Unfortunately, the boiler is not running and there is neither hot water for seven showers ahead of school tomorrow, nor any heating for 24 hours now, so that's not so good. On the plus side, it's saving my fuel bill!
    And the washing machine is outside and the pipes froze last night, so no washing today either. Only just fixed the pipes since the last cold snap burst them.

Seriously thinking about putting OH's CCs and a new boiler plus a couple of windows onto the mortgage.

Sandwiches and ginger honey buns for tea, all from the stores. Yum.
    Womble #9 2018 0 / Roadkill 0
    Loan 175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan 312.21 /month until April 2025
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 11,966 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Afternoon folks,

An early 5.45am start for a Sunday, but it meant that we were at home with a brew in hand by 11am after a 4 hour hour drive. Not much mseness to report. We are not saintly enough to have packed food for the trip etc, and I do confess that we pay for the pleasure that is the M6 toll.

MSEness comes from eating mum's food and using her heat for a few days! Lots of useful Christmas pressies too. I have some jam jars, some seeds, a new brushed cotton duvet cover (to replace hateful one with stars on that won't stay square), some car and DIY bits, some toiletries and some crafty bits.

So today it's a quick re-group before settling down into normality.
    • 2 x washes on and out on the radiators
    • Heating on unfortunately as the house is freeeeeezing
    • Dinner from stores
    • Make a loaf
    • Quick meal plan to see us until Saturday
    • Put away various bits and pieces of Christmas pressies
    • Try stretching video again to see if I can do it without feeling shaky
    • Early night
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 07-01-2018 at 4:01 PM.

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 11,966 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Foxgloves - mum gave me some onion sets but they've started sprouting already. Can I plant now? Do I need to??

TIA

• Pickle_99_uk
    • By Pickle_99_uk 7th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Pickle_99_uk
    Hi,
    I've been lurking for a while and reading your posts (whilst shamelessly stealing your ideas for moneysaving) and thought I'd post. Worked towards debt free goal today by:
    Working - DH has a gardening business so we took on some extra work. Cold but worth it
    No alcohol - cutting back and saving money
    Dug up some veg from the garden to use over the next few days
    NSD
    Used wood from a tree we cut back in the log burner - free fuel
    Changed my insurance and saved some money in the process
    Surveys - valued opinions and one poll
    Swagbucks

Phew! X
    Emergency pot 148.60/1000
    Make 2018 in 2018: 430/2018
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 6,855 Posts
    • 40,174 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi Purps glad you had a good break! And kudos on steering away from the TA It's weird we've got to a point where I can't imagine getting a TA. Haven't for a couple of months now, but every time we do it's always so disappointing! I think batch cooking is the way to go, so I can grab something, I don't need to cook or have much of a faff. Anyway ramblings!

I went out last night and only went slightly over my budget of 10 by 95p (I got some crisps which tipped me over - do not regret it all!) Good to know I can be in control of my budget when I want to

Hurrah to another day of the weekend

Today:
    * hang up washing & do another load
    * going to the allotment shortly with a neighbour as we are going to share my plot - now I'm returning to ft work I don't want to have the whole plot so this is the perfect solution
    * hopefully walk to the lottie
    * madam having a ys choc a plain for breakfast (5p!)
    * chicken in gravy out of the freezer for dinner. Will use veg from freezer mmmm lots of home grown veg
    * need to do a quick tidy round before things get out of hand!
    * going to SM to get shopping - really could have hung out longer but they have coffee on offer so want to stock up oh asked if we were opening a coffee house
    * knitting/reading booking/maybe a film with oh tonight?/early night - some combination of these!
    * iron clothes & make oh's lunch for tomorrow
    * soak butter beans for tomorrow's dinner/batch cook

Ok that will do for now Have a great day x
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    whoop I had to share as it's the 2nd day in a run I've managed to complete my list

In addition I:

made a massive batch of rice to eat over the next couple of days for lunches/dinner (made a bit more than I meant to )

currently making some broadbean chips in the oven thus getting something OUT of the freezer and making a healthy snack

decided it was too cold to go out so had a home day

updating spending diary & planning out when I'll do the things I want to do next week
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 14,811 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hope Smallest enjoys Rainbows. I'm a Rainbow Leader myself

Brother and SIL have left us in good spirits and they bought the squash for the lunches and dinners and everything except an extra couple of carrots and broccoli was from stores. Went for some lovely walks in the minus weather.

Unfortunately, the boiler is not running and there is neither hot water for seven showers ahead of school tomorrow, nor any heating for 24 hours now, so that's not so good. On the plus side, it's saving my fuel bill!
    And the washing machine is outside and the pipes froze last night, so no washing today either. Only just fixed the pipes since the last cold snap burst them.

Seriously thinking about putting OH's CCs and a new boiler plus a couple of windows onto the mortgage.

Sandwiches and ginger honey buns for tea, all from the stores. Yum.
    Originally posted by vickthestick
    Thank you, eldest thoroughly enjoyed so hoping she will too. Kudos to volunteering
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter