Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 1st Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,571Posts
    • 12,020Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this NEW YEAR'S week? W/C 01/01/18
    • 1st Jan 18, 9:05 AM
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this NEW YEAR'S week? W/C 01/01/18 1st Jan 18 at 9:05 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
Page 4
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 4th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Hello

I have had a good MSE day

- Been to work and popped into town at lunchtime and bought some reduced knickers for DD
    - Taken her to the dentist - NHS therefore covered
    - Stocked up the freezer with reduced priced goodies therefore I might be able to miss a weeks big shop, with some meal planning and trip to Lidl.
    - I have bought quite a few clothes this month using Christmas money it funny I feel guilty but really things that have worn out in the last year and I have really just replaced them.
    - Meters read for billing accuracy
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 4th Jan 18, 8:15 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 23,746 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Evening All

Today we have:

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Checked Energy on MSE Energy Club
    Taken down all Christmas decorations and tree, all packed away, lounge decluttered and re-arranged
    Shopping with list
    Uploaded receipts to COS
    Listed an item for sale on FB
    Purged a few emails
    Entered a few comps
    Surveys
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Luckyphone, Luckybob, FPL

Night all.

C x
    Make £5 per day in Jan 18: £491.91/£155 Make £5 per day in Feb 18: £51.40/£140 Make £5 per day in Mar 18: £150.36/£155 Make £5 per day in Apr 18: £93.25/3150 Make £5 per day in May 18: £8/£155 Make £5 per day in June 18: £13.04/£150
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 5th Jan 18, 7:19 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Morning everyone!
    Some good things yesterday: cycled to work (closer site, so saved 3.90 on bus). Was quicker than anticipated. Despite some puffing got up the hill without stopping dodged the rain and enjoyed free hot shower at work - felt good for it and will be doing regularly. Ache slightly today, but is wfh day so will recover, and no commuting costs today either!
    Had friend around for dinner (from freezer) she bought posh yoghurt for pudding - I'm enjoying leftovers for brekkie in bed with a hot water bottle.

Today plan to:
    Finish three reports for work in their time not mine!
    Sort out travel so no need to pay out and claim back
    Chase up expenses submissions and find out when deadline is for these to come out in January pay
    Tidy house as friends staying this weekend (they are out both days at an event nearby, and have offered to bring dinner for one night - good sort of guests!).
    B/L/D are all leftovers from Xmas. Getting to end of these!
    Sort out free event for Monday night
    Take back Xmas gift not needed - once have tracked down second part of it
    Submit info to charity for expenses repayment
    No heating during day - can snuggle and work! It'll be on more this weekend with a full house.
    Meeting neighbour for walk at some point - she also works from home. Get some steps in!
    Online banking juggling - one bill to pay I think
    Today or over weekend: review broadband packages.
    List item on Facebook / eBay
    Sort out house exchange free listing
    SS x
    • little pink purse
    • By little pink purse 5th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    little pink purse
    Morning Everyone

sorry missed Thursday post i did a double shift at work then lay on the sofa
    and wasted the night and bought a takeaway ggrr not good!!!

sorry to here about mr fox FVD poor thing xxx
    DNMS have you started your new job yet
    Foxgloves i need your energy lol

todays to do

check banking getting near the bone 6 days to pay day
    start looking for cheap car insurance for DH
    bend DH ear to reduce sky bill (its in his name)
    wash on
    tidy around
    start looking out stock for units need to pull my finger out never been near them this year lol

better shake a leg

have a great day keep warm and well xx lppxxx
    nsd may /10
    feb fuel and food budget £350.00

debt total highest £66k now £65k
    FIRST DEBT TO BLAST £2142.95 /
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 5th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    vickthestick
    Ah guys, thanks for the kind welcome back. Even just reading what everyone else is up to is helping me to focus on the small things and is calming me down about the scarier, bigger picture.

Yesterday's shopping expedition with the Smalls was successful. The middle two met up with pals in the shopping centre and went off with them, so that was nice ahead of school restarting on Monday.
    Brother and his wife arrive overnight so will need the heating on 24/7. It's a big old house and forecast minus 7 and 8 this weekend! But once all back to school then it can go off during the day, thankfully.

Today:
    Blitz the wee ones' bedroom
    More washing
    Check the bank
    Sort out priorities for the year
    Look at the work I brought home with me over the holidays and make a start

Have a good day everyone
    Vx
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 5th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 8,763 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Been to hospital to have stitches out and knee brace adjusted to 60 degrees
    4. Mother called in Aldi after hospital appt. and treated me to the lime, basil and mandarin candle
    5. Surveys and bzzagent
    6. Consumer pulse
    7. Watch netflix
    8. Home physio exercises
    Post Office £0Capital One £0Tesco £1400As of 09/01/18
    One debt to go
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 5th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Morning guys - all the best for 2018

Tardy one here - nice to pop in.

Today - at hosp with wee maw, picked her up early doors
    Packed up brekkie/snacks/lunch
    Books and mags for reading here all day
    Fed mutts and sorted them before I went with a wee local walk
    Reading Uber Frugal Month blog
    Free coffee etc at the hoppital - rather not be here but if we are its nice to be looked after
    Will pop in to BF and Bro when in town to make most of my petrol
    Taken smaller car today to maximse petrol use
    Tea will be from stores
    Need to check banks and sort out a few payments - see what extra I have going out of my account that I don't need to be

Have a good one.........
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = £0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 39,882 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Less fraught today, though a bit lazy also
    Small things:
    Free cooked homegrown fruit from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fruit
    Walked dog
    Posted ebay item
    Had to get some bits from the SM
    Annoying 1p, 2p and 5p coins out of purse and into tin (they bung up my purse, so they go into a tin and get counted into bank bags for paying in when enough)
    Freecycler came to collect armchair that was blocking access to the dining room (it was OH's chair, decided he couldn't sit in it anymore, got another one - thankfully gifted - can't sit in that one either, and left me with the problem of dealing with the original one. Luckily I managed to rehome it, as I don't think I could get it to the tip by myself!) Anyway, it has gone now, nice people too
    Bits from fridge for lunch
    Plenty of the savoury mince /bolognese stuff I made yesterday left for dinner
    Will have this with jacket potatoes, and cook some foraged blackberries from freezer for breakfast fruit while the oven is on
    Need to walk dog again
    Ought to do a bit of cleaning
    Descale the kettle
    Patch my jeans

Babysitting tonight as it is DD2's birthday.
    Hope everyone is having a good day
    NSDs for June 7 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £136.68 / £250
    Fuel 50.01 / £100

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 5th Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 21,199 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Greetins Campers,
    The more it rained, tiddley-pom........ Squidged down to shed a minute ago. Garden is quagmire. Hoping to get out there & cut back a couple of borders next week, so could do with it drying up a bit. Anyway, useful sort of day so far.
    LPP - I'm not as energetic as you think, unfortunately I need a major surgery & am feeling so uncomfortable, I have to be a bit slower these days, so bah to that!
    The list:
    *2 big bags dropped off at charity shop. Now have a clear landing, yay!
    *Checked bank to see if a cheque had arrived. It had, so was able to pay to across to a CC to cover a payment made on that.
    *Entered a prize draw.
    *Updated grocery budget.
    *Successful weekly grocery shop this morning - Aldi, Co-op, Waitrose & local market. Budget was £50 & we spent a total of £39. Can't complain at that.
    *Free coffees at Waitrose.
    *Found a nice health/fitness mag on the Magazine Man's market stall for £1. You can pick up quite a good range of titles from him, mostly monthly expensive ones or craft mags at any 3 for £2.50.
    *mr f & I jointly cleaned the house. He said he'd rather do vacuuming, bins & kitchen than the bathroom, so that seemed like a good deal to me! Minimal products & washable cloths as usual.
    *Dismantled my home-made door wreath & packed everything away for next Christmas. If any of you bought one, do take it to bits & save the stiff wire frame inside as if you have one of those, it's really easy to construct a wreath yourself. I only used bits clipped from around our garden & some holly prunings I found on the ground at a local stately home from where their hedges had been clipped, foraged pine cones & baubles I bought years ago from the £ shop.
    *Clipped a nice-looking recipe out of Aldi's weekly special offers booklet....prawn jambalaya. Looks yum & looks like it would also work with chicken or pork leftovers.
    *Read the Guardian on the ap instead of buying one.
    *mr f sorting out some items to list on ebay......or rather he was......judging by the sound of things loudly exploding, it sounds like he has been side-tracked by some or other bloke-film. Not bothered though, he will be back at work all too soon & may as well enjoy his last couple of days.
    *Practise a craft project so I can show Mum how to do tomorrow. All recycled papers, so hopefully a nice no-spend activity we can do together. She misses Dad terribly, but does seem to fare better when she keeps herself busy, so rather than molly-coddle, I'm trying to think of nice activities to take her out of herself a bit.
    *Knit later on & maybe re-watch a TV episode which I managed to sleep through after a night of true CCL-style insomnia last week.
    Have a nice evening, everyone.
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £800-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £259
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 5th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 6,858 Posts
    • 40,204 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hello quick post for me before heading into lounge to do some knitting:

* went to work, actually focused and worked hard (ish)
    * took breakfast lunch & snacks. Felt very grouchy about having carrot & pepper sticks as snacks (why can't I continue eating crisps and chocolate & drinking wine and baileys continuously???!) but actually was refreshing & filled a hole - am hoping the hole gets smaller soon...
    * made note of mileage
    * collected some items purchased in half price sale. Stashed away in present area for when madam has a birthday party
    * got dough out of freezer for pizza
    * made enough pizza topping tom sauce for 4 pizzas - will freeze 2 later viva la cook as little as humanly possible!
    * got ys chicken & ham out of freezer for topping and will be using reduced cheese
    * got to work a bit early so did 10 mins Portuguese lessons - they get what they pay for!
    * games, frolicking, bath, vikings for this evenings entertainment

Ok that'll do! TFIF guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 5th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Builder paid in full! Hooray!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 5th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Evening all, not much to report!

I bought a box of cup soups for breakfasts at work so I won't be tempted by the bakery.

Had a slice of reduced gala pie today to see why it's so popular, it was okay apart from the egg (I'm not keen on egg whites, unless they are meringue that is!)

I was stumped for what to do for dinner tonight and then I spotted some YS paninis so I bought a few slices of salami, some cheaply mozzarella and a small pot of sun dried tomatoes and herby olives and grilled them all, it was bloomin' lovely, I will definitely do that again (spare paninis to go in the freezer.)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • nsl101
    • By nsl101 5th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    nsl101
    So I've stopped buying beer.

message ends.
    Fresh start & LBM #2: 21/12/2017 : DFD: 02.02.2024
    Debt at 21/12/2017: £46,506.94 | FD Loan: £334.04/£35,700.00 | O% finance: £143.85/31918.00
    1% challenge: 0%
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Jan 18, 7:34 AM
    • 6,858 Posts
    • 40,204 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Builder paid in full! Hooray!
    Originally posted by 1SmallStep
    Whoop whoop

So I've stopped buying beer.

message ends.
    Originally posted by nsl101
    very virtuous of you nsl101!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    • 6,858 Posts
    • 40,204 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys I am full of the joys this morning - I went to bed for a nap at 7 and here I am!

Plans for the day include:

* going for a run this morning. Need to force myself as haven't been for a while and have broken the chain
    * all meals from stores
    * dinner will be jacket pots with lo sausages & nuggets (as not enough sausages ) for the meat eaters
    * freeze portions of pizza topping & lentil ragu - quick meals for next week
    * going into town with madam to meet dd. Madam wants to buy a toy with her money then we are going to local library/museum as there is a free exhibition
    * Will take food & drinks
    * am thinking about catching bus. But am torn as need to stop at sm as L1dl has coffee on offer and want to stock up and need a few other bits. I have once too often got too much at the sm and caught the bus and it's hell!
    * free entertainment this afternoon
    * meeting a friend this evening. Might suggest to her we meet early so we can catch happy hour at a cocktail bar
    * get oh to drop off 3 bags of clothes to recycling centre as he's going there anyway

That's all I can think of! Nothing earth shattering but hopefully nothing expensive
    Last edited by determined new ms; 06-01-2018 at 6:14 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 6th Jan 18, 8:23 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    1SmallStep
    Morning all! V jealous of your nap dnms! Going to bed earlier is a resolution I make several times a year...
    Just waiting for household to awake. It's lovely and calm and heating is on for a change. Need to pop out for milk at some point before everyone breakfasts. Pulled a fruit loaf out of the freezer in case folks can be tempted towards toast, in which case just enough for cuppas all round! Planning a big sort out of food cupboards today or tomorrow.
    Just begrudgingly paid TV license. Live TV goes on about twice in this year and catch up TV in bursts, but nothing regular and nothing we ate that fussed about But with paying guests in and out I figured we were probably safer to be licensed than not, they are probably more likely to make use than me. We had no license (and therefore watched no TV) for 8 years, but got one last year in order to rent house out whole on our hols. Torn between frustration and feeling a job is ticked off the list!
    Other jobs for today:
    Some follow up to the expenses submission saga
    Return overbought Xmas gift
    A few things for charity shop, will make me go for a walk
    PJ morning with DD. She's then out for lunch and I'm going to have leftovers (still on Xmas ones, but fridge nearly empty now). Friends that are staying are cooking tonight in exchange for free accommodation they are out all day so that should be fun to catch up.
    Broadband deal review this afternoon. Hare that but our service is slow and expensive and going up, so there are a multitude of reasons why to sort it out!
    Have a good day folks!
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 6th Jan 18, 8:33 AM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 39,882 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    A bit bleary eyed this morning as I was quite late back from babysitting last night, and awake a bit during the night. It is blummin cold as well! Icy again - hate winter

Managed a couple of things already:
    Emailed the milkman over non delivery of milk this week - no major issue, but I don't expect to be paying for it if I haven't had it!
    Had some of the foraged blackberries (from freezer) that I cooked in the bottom of the oven yesterday, for breakfast with my porridge and yogurt - really yummy
    Had a cup of real coffee for breakfast. Now unlike some of you others I can take this or leave it - I prefer a specific brand of instant, which I drink black, not very strong, and in copious quantities. I am running a bit low on instant, and have some 'real' coffee, bought for visitors over Christmas, to use, so am determined to eke out my preferred instant by alternating with ground coffee!

Still to do:
    Get dressed and take dog out Done
    Pack a small ebay sale - probably wait till Monday to post it though! Not yet, and now I have another to do as well. One for tomorrow I think!
    RM surveys stuff Done
    Some cleaning - middle floor I think! Will also change bed and wash linen, will hopefully peg it outside, weather permitting! Cleaning done, but only just finished washing linen - it was too damp and still to dry outside today, but hoping it will be better tomorrow!
    Crackers, cheese etc for lunch Done
    Something out of freezer for dinner - must get indoor freezer emptied and defrosted - it is fuller than ever I seem to take one thing out and put 2 back in, even if I don't buy anything Done, but it is still rammed
    Walk dog again Done
    Check banks Done, slightly concerned that a Sainsburys spend earlier this week appeared much higher than it actually was.... I know that the banks are still playing catch up after the holidays, so it might refer to an earlier spend. Must keep receipts to check as they appear online!
    Check for surveys (struggling to get back into these after Christmas ) None today, though haven't checked Prolific I spent ages on a long survey yesterday and it crashed almost at the end
    List some more ebay items - maybe, losing my mojo here, too! Managed 3
    No plans to spend anything NSD
    Aim for an early night Definitely!
    Last edited by DawnW; 06-01-2018 at 7:49 PM.
    NSDs for June 7 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £136.68 / £250
    Fuel 50.01 / £100

• Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 6th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Morning Everyone!

A busy morning so far, I have;

- Set up CC payment and made a payment today
    - Set up money transfers in advance for childminders fees
    - Food from stores today, I might need some bread when I am out
    - DD of to dance classes, with months fees to pay.

See what the rest of day brings
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 6th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    vickthestick
    Morning all,
    Brother and SIL arriving today. Super excited to see them but need to go to a Cricket meeting first and process people's PVGs
    Have No 2 DD at home until her next contract starts in March so have set her to work posting on eBay for 10% commission
    At long last, got OH to face up to his CC problems and phone the company. Baby steps in the right direction.
    Today:
    OH made bread last night so that's for lunch
    Meals from Hogmanay leftovers
    More washing!
    Need to return Christmas leotard to get refund but can't afford to pay initial postage so going to weigh it and search about for leftover Christmas stamps
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 6th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 8,763 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Surveys and Bzzagent
    4. Meals from stores
    5. Netflix
    6. Home physio exercises
    7. Disinfect cat bowls and mats
    Post Office £0Capital One £0Tesco £1400As of 09/01/18
    One debt to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter