Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 31st Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 3,555Posts
    • 11,584Thanks
    Tiglath
    How was 2017 for you?
    • 31st Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    How was 2017 for you? 31st Dec 17 at 9:38 PM
    For me, it was one of my better years. I left a job after 7 years that no longer suited me, took a 4-month sabbatical, found another better paid job with huge prospects for my career, became less stressed, made some excellent new friends, had a fabulous 50th birthday in Ireland, rescued 6 cats, decluttered the house in a MAJOR way, went vegetarian, survived without any major health issues, and decided to move from London to the countryside in search of a simpler life which we'd actually been planning for 15 years. All of that makes me happy and optimistic about the future.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
Page 1
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 31st Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 2,457 Thanks
    squiggles
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    It's nice to read good news on the forum.

2017 for me was the same as any other year, nothing to report good or bad which I reckon is a good thing in itself.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 31st Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    Not great . . my Nieces & Nephew are moving back to Wales (right now a 45/50 minute/30 mile? drive & I barely see them, so how often i'll see them then idk)

My neighbour who had been like a big brother to be changed totally due to drugs & is like a different person

My Aunt's cancer returned, tho she starts treatment very soon so fingers crossed for her

I ended up as an inpatient in a kind've halfway house for mental health

PT/best friend got a new job so can't train me now, after 3x a week for almost 3yrs & he was the only person I ever saw

Really hope I can at least see the northern lights for my 40th in 2018 even if the rest is crap!
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 31st Dec 17, 11:51 PM
    • 3,234 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:51 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:51 PM
    2017 - when the people you put on a pedestal who you really shouldn't have.

2018 - the year of self respect.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • colinw
    • By colinw 31st Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    • 52,017 Posts
    • 144,040 Thanks
    colinw
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    For me, it was one of my better years. I left a job after 7 years that no longer suited me, took a 4-month sabbatical, found another better paid job with huge prospects for my career, became less stressed, made some excellent new friends, had a fabulous 50th birthday in Ireland, rescued 6 cats, decluttered the house in a MAJOR way, went vegetarian, survived without any major health issues, and decided to move from London to the countryside in search of a simpler life which we'd actually been planning for 15 years. All of that makes me happy and optimistic about the future.
    Originally posted by Tiglath
    I hope is all works out well Tiglath

Not great . . my Nieces & Nephew are moving back to Wales (right now a 45/50 minute/30 mile? drive & I barely see them, so how often i'll see them then idk)

My neighbour who had been like a big brother to be changed totally due to drugs & is like a different person

My Aunt's cancer returned, tho she starts treatment very soon so fingers crossed for her

I ended up as an inpatient in a kind've halfway house for mental health

PT/best friend got a new job so can't train me now, after 3x a week for almost 3yrs & he was the only person I ever saw

Really hope I can at least see the northern lights for my 40th in 2018 even if the rest is crap!
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    I hope next year works out better for you and you manage to see the Lights! I would love to see them myself.

It's nice to read good news on the forum.

2017 for me was the same as any other year, nothing to report good or bad which I reckon is a good thing in itself.
    Originally posted by squiggles
    My year was pretty much like that as well although seeing the Full Solar Eclipse in the US was pretty cool
    Peru & Croatia
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 1st Jan 18, 1:02 AM
    • 10,602 Posts
    • 20,096 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    • 1st Jan 18, 1:02 AM
    • 1st Jan 18, 1:02 AM
    2017 wasnít too bad for me- I managed to complete my degree and I graduated with a good classification. I also got back in contact with and spent some time with an old friend- spent some amazing quality time with them. Saw some awesome gigs- Ed Sheeran at Newcastle, James Arthur at Leicester, U2 at Twickenham and I was lucky enough to meet James Arthur twice. The year ended on a great note when I helped OH to choose and buy a new car.
    However itís not all been good news sadly- my beloved Dad has been very poorly this year and heís gone downhill extremely quickly in the space of six months. My mum told me on the day of my graduation that the diagnosis that everyone had suspected but didnít want to mention has been confirmed and he has vascular dementia following two strokes. A good friend also lost her beloved husband and I attended the funeral, it was a sad loss as he was a lovely man. At midnight however I raised a glass to him and my other dear friend who passed four years ago this year and I still miss her every day
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English 75% complete Going back for round 2! BSc (Hons) Combined STEM 2018- Bring it on!
    Weight lost so far- 3 stone 3lb
    I Am Green And White Miss you JV and TW!
    Elle
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 1st Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 14,054 Posts
    • 54,675 Thanks
    joansgirl
    • 1st Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    2017 was quite big for me insofar as I retired, after much faffing and indecision.

Other than that it was a normal year. Although I've struggled with the last couple of months (emotionally) more than I normally do but I think it's down to a major non anniversary.

2018 will be interesting once the tax man starts chasing me
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito

Brazil and Serbia
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 1st Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 8,179 Posts
    • 12,830 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    Started 2017 in a job I hated but stuck at it until something better came up which it did in May. Faced redundancy in job last month but managed to keep my job so hope that 2018 continues on a positive note.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 1st Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 10,676 Posts
    • 23,784 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1st Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    One of the better years than some for me.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • rainbowfairydust
    • By rainbowfairydust 1st Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 16,192 Posts
    • 46,697 Thanks
    rainbowfairydust
    The second worst list years of my life - 2 deaths in the immediate family, a car crash where some !!! in his souped up number hit me on a roundabout, and wrote my car off ( other party found to be at fault), 4 illnesses, a lot of stress regarding university ( and worry of falling behind). I am glad to see the back of 2017
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra!
    Originally posted by Sleazy

Mature Student
    2015 - 2018

Year One Done

Year Two - 26/9/16
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 1st Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 35,568 Posts
    • 131,836 Thanks
    Pyxis
    The second worst list years of my life - 2 deaths in the immediate family, a car crash where some !!! in his souped up number hit me on a roundabout, and wrote my car off ( other party found to be at fault), 4 illnesses, a lot of stress regarding university ( and worry of falling behind). I am glad to see the back of 2017
    Originally posted by rainbowfairydust
    That was rough.

Fingers crossed that this one will be better.

Trump permitting, of course!
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 2nd Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 19,008 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Pretty good,
    Met some great new friends, and carried on with getting fit.
    Spent some good times running in the lake district (Not got as much free time this year to make it over as much)
    Took 3 mins off my 10k PB bringing it down to a respectable 37:XX time, finished 5th (+6th) in my first (and my 2nd) ultra marathons. Ran my first ever marathon, whilst not fast (3:18) it proved that I could do it before running the ultras.

So this year I am aiming to:

Enjoy my free time as much as possible later in the year
    Run a sub 3hr marathon (or at the very least get a good for age time so that I can do London in 2019)
    ďTime is intended to be spent, not savedĒ - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 2nd Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 6,127 Posts
    • 11,527 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Quite good for us, no hospital admissions which is unheard of for us.

We sold one of our properties to the tenant who had been living in it for a decade.

I got a new job I love.

My wife was able to transfer her job on fewer hours.

But best of all we finally moved, we had been saying "we'll do it this year" for four years!!
    • Vickimichelle
    • By Vickimichelle 8th Jan 18, 3:16 AM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 6,130 Thanks
    Vickimichelle
    It was fantastic, I got engaged & my non verbal autistic son started speaking a few words
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 8th Jan 18, 6:15 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    I Love comps
    2017 was not a good year for me. My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia (an illness which needs to be highlighted more not less). My mom was in hospital on two separate occasions. On the second time, after she had had a fall, it was decided that she could not return home to her own home.
    2018 will be no better for me. I shall be heaped with mounds of paperwork and bills to deal with. Nursing Homes fees are huge. I also have to gauge when to sell my mothers home, which she has lived in for years.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

794Posts Today

7,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Today's twitter poll: Should cannabis be legalised, for medical (via prescription) use, and/or adult's recreational use?

• Follow Martin