Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,596Posts
    • 46,731Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE’ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 52,709 Posts
    • 207,047 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that your DGD is on the mend soon.
    Poor wee soul seems to be ill a lot.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 46,731 Thanks
    Mooloo
    She seems to have been under the weather since her ear infection in Spain that then developed tonsillitis and she's had every ears nose and throat problem going ever since.
    I am trying to get her to eat as much fruit and veg as I can, and have been to the doctor with her. But she has certainly not been full of energy this winter at all!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 46,731 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Nearly ready to sew for the day.
    Been to work and grabbed a pile of alterations, taken the mannaqin to school for their project work. Arranged for Biggest to pop in to my Mum's when she's passing.
    Been to the chemist and picked up a throat spray and ibrufen for dgd.
    Had a cuppa and now I am going to bring my machine downstairs sonit doesn't disturb Dgd up in bed.
    Alterations here I come!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 5:13 PM
    • 52,709 Posts
    • 207,047 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope alterations go well.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • ognum
    • By ognum 7th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 6,959 Thanks
    ognum
    Fully understand you need for breaks away
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 46,731 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I managed to get quite a lot of alterations done. Somewhere around £120 worth, but got fed up around 4 when two pairs of M & S trousers needed shortening only to find they were glued. Which is difficult to undo. I messaged M & S to be told that they do this to stop Trousers coming undone.
    I told them that as their trousers are getting longer my customers are needing them shortening more and more. They were going to ask the tailored department about it. But I will not be surprised if I don't get an answer.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    • 52,709 Posts
    • 207,047 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glued.
    Who knew.

***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 46,731 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Glued.
    Who knew.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Yes they have a thin layer of glue behind the threads and have done it for at least a year now!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 52,709 Posts
    • 207,047 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes they have a thin layer of glue behind the threads and have done it for at least a year now!
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Ah right.
    Havent bought any in well over a year.

***Keep plodding***
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 7th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Hi Mooloo, yes I've discovered this as well, takes longer to do them.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 46,731 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Hi Mooloo, yes I've discovered this as well, takes longer to do them.
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    Drives me nuts!
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 7th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 4,763 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I managed to get quite a lot of alterations done. Somewhere around £120 worth, but got fed up around 4 when two pairs of M & S trousers needed shortening only to find they were glued. Which is difficult to undo. I messaged M & S to be told that they do this to stop Trousers coming undone.
    I told them that as their trousers are getting longer my customers are needing them shortening more and more. They were going to ask the tailored department about it. But I will not be surprised if I don't get an answer.
    I had a couple of dresses a few years ago from m&s and the hems started to come down after the first wash, I exchanged one and the same thing happened (the other one was out of stock in my size) I ended up hand sewin the hems myself. The quality of their hems does not seem to be what it once was - the glue is probably their there to stop goods being returned as faulty due to cost cutting.

I bet the tailored department won't admit to that!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 38,380 Posts
    • 34,981 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Do they come unglued if you press them under a damp tea towel and pull them apart straight away? Wondering if it's a sort of wundaweb thing?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern on order...
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Feb 18, 7:02 AM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 46,731 Thanks
    Mooloo
    No they didn't come un glued. Mind you I am always wary of pressing things at home, incase my iron damages them. The problem is they are seen with a blind hem machine which is a single thread chain. One pull in the wrong place (or the right place ) and it will unravel. Which is great for me, not so great for customers, so they are adding a glue strip under the sewing. Which means that it won't unravel and then I have to unpick each stitch and prize the fabric apart, which can damage the fabric.
    I will be finishing them this morning before I do the Roman Blinds. I hand Sew my hems.

Dgd is going to her Mums today, they are collecting her from work, and I haven't even packed her clothes yet.
    I got suddenly tired around 4.30 and didn't find my get up and go, it had got up and went on its own accord!
    This morning the teasmade didn't go off as intended, I had to jiggle the teapot and turn it on manual, or the boil now button. So I am 30 minutes behind because my phone alarm woke me at 6.30 with the messsge to make the lunches! Not without my cuppa, the bank balances checked, money moved etc and emails flicked through for any business contact.
    Now I am about ready to move out of my cosy bed.
    Today is going to be a busy day. Lots to do before I can go away for the weekend tomorrow.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 38,380 Posts
    • 34,981 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    No they didn't come un glued. Mind you I am always wary of pressing things at home, incase my iron damages them. The problem is they are seen with a blind hem machine which is a single thread chain. One pull in the wrong place (or the right place ) and it will unravel. Which is great for me, not so great for customers, so they are adding a glue strip under the sewing. Which means that it won't unravel and then I have to unpick each stitch and prize the fabric apart, which can damage the fabric.
    Well, maybe you will have to decline any more M&S trouser shortenings unless you can cut it all off - which obviously you can only do if it needs to be quite a bit shorter.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern on order...
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 46,731 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well I worked until 6.20, then brought work home. Straight into the kitchen to make dinner. Stir fry, and then sat at the sewing machine at the sitting room table. Finished as much as I could by 9.20 and drove to work to drop it off, as BF realised we had to leave earlier than he thought for the airport.
    Then back to wash up, and pack my small bag. Going to be interesting 5 days for me with only the things in one little bag!
    Let's see how we engage in this holiday. I hope that we talk a bit more!
    Any silliness and I will be making changes on my return. And I don't mean fun silliness! I could do with plenty of that.
    Back on Wednesday.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 9th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Hope it goes well for you (i also hope its a bit warmer where you are going!)
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 9th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 13,209 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hope you have a good, relaxing break with plenty of meaningful communication, Mooloo.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 52,709 Posts
    • 207,047 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy holidays

***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 46,731 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Bonus, Wifi in the room!
    Alas no tea making facilities and as we came with only cabin baggage I didn't bring a travel kettle.
    Hotel seems nice, view of ships in the harbour from the balcony.
    Time to go exploring.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,003Posts Today

8,283Users online

Martin's Twitter