Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,771Posts
    • 47,854Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 8
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 2nd Feb 18, 4:57 PM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 25,939 Thanks
    thorsoak
    My suggestion may be far too simplistic to be effective, Mooloo - but when you price up a job, do you charge labour at £7.50 per hour, or £15.00-£18.75 per hour?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 2nd Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I had a single curtain shortened recently to fit the rear window on a campervan. The little hooks for the rails were also removed from the old pair and sewn onto the new one.

The lady charged £12 an hour and it took her 3 hours so cost me £36 The original pair of curtains had only cost me £14 from Aldi.
    • Imagnu
    • By Imagnu 2nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Imagnu

The lady charged £12 an hour and it took her 3 hours so cost me £36 The original pair of curtains had only cost me £14 from Aldi.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Ahh! Therein lies the rub! Regardless of the original cost of the item, the alteration still takes the same amount of time, or more, to do.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 3rd Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    I do alterations for family (don't charge of course) and I used to do them for a friend as well, but I felt she started to take advantage.

I didn't mind stuff like trouser, and skirt/dress hems, or minor repairs, but she wanted me to make curtains for her, and was talking about me making pillowcases, and tablecloths. Yes, I could and did make those things for myself, but her demands were taking all of my time. I felt that i was her unpaid seamstress!! I didn't want to be mean, but I couldn't keep on like that.

I didn't have whatever it takes to just come out and tell her this, because she wouldn't have understood, why I didn't want to do it. So I took the easy way out and said , partly truthfully, that my machine was unreliable, and I didn't want the responsibilty of ruining someone's fabric, so couldn't do any more for her.

Because she didn't sew herself she didn't realise how long things could take. I don't see much of her now, so I don't know what she does about alterations.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 3rd Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I aim to charge £25 an hour! But I seem to have gotten slower these days so the things are taking me a lot longer to do then last year, the prices are two years ago. The other day I quoted £20 to take a bridesmaids dress in on the sides, back and lift on the shoulders. I estimated 45 minutes to do. In the end it took me two hours. So I lost big time. Yesterday it took me two 1/4 hours to shorten two 90 !!!8220;wide curtains that were lined as well. I charged £65 so that was about right.
    I used to be able to shorten trousers in 12 minutes but now it is taking me 20 minutes. So £10 was a good markup. Used to think of trousers as my money making jobs. But I am not sure if anything but small repairs are at the moment.
    I am obviously underestimating how long it takes me to do jobs, and don!!!8217;t manage to factor in interruptions!
    We do get some money up front, but not always.
    Biggest took Dgd home with her yesterday afternoon and she is having her for me until I close the shop this afternoon, so last night Bf and I went out for an Indian meal in a little restaurant down town.
    We actually talked more than usual which was quite refreshing.
    I have been studying Portuguese as you know and I mentioned that, and we talked about retirement.
    He did say that one of these days he will come over and find a note on the door saying that I have moved there. So I talked about the sewing holiday ideas. He now knows my dreams. And I showed him links to houses I had looked at. But I said ;it is only dreams
    Last edited by Mooloo; 03-02-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Weird numbers where apostrophe should be
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 3rd Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Ahh! Therein lies the rub! Regardless of the original cost of the item, the alteration still takes the same amount of time, or more, to do.
    Originally posted by Imagnu
    Oh definitely and her hourly rate was extremely reasonable for a part time home maker but of course I vastly underestimated the length of time it would take, hence the shock lol

Like ScarketRibbons said, if you're not a sewer then it's difficult to know how long something might take. I thought it would maybe take an hour or so. Oooops!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Sunday at home.
    Seemed a very long day. Had family over for lunch. Was a squeeze but was lovely to see them. The children playing well together. DS, Biggest and her husband. It was a good day, and we watched a film when the kids were playing nicely. They went home around 3.30 I think, I wasn!!!8217;t watching the time.
    It has been a nice change.
    Actually felt slower, and relaxing.
    Will have to do it more often.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 04-02-2018 at 7:24 PM.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 4th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 59,013 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    That does sounds as if it was a happy day
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    My predictor text changes any abbreviation into exclamation marks and numerals!
    Don!!!8217;t know why?
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 5th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 7,772 Posts
    • 11,364 Thanks
    jackieblack
    My predictor text changes any abbreviation into exclamation marks and numerals!
    Don!!!8217;t know why?
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    It's a forum glitch, lots of people having the problem over the last few days (something to do with Apple software I believe- could be wrong though)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5788856
    Last edited by jackieblack; 05-02-2018 at 3:38 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Thanks for that. I thought I was going mad.
    I've changed the settings (I hope!)
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Today was a rather rubbish day. Everything went wrong. I gave up at 4 and came home.
    Tomorrow is another day and I will have a better day!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 54,915 Posts
    • 219,245 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry that today was not a good day.
    Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Feb 18, 6:57 AM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So in my mind I am programming a great day. Where everything comes together, and I achieve my days targets.
    I have little wriggle room as there won't be any sewing done Friday or Saturday!
    I am going to have to be the best I can today.
    No destractions. No sidetracking.
    Stick to the game plan and work as late as possible before collecting Dgd.
    I have got this haven't I?!!!
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 6th Feb 18, 7:07 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    yes you have xx
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd: £114800 £104k
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 54,915 Posts
    • 219,245 Thanks
    beanielou
    POsitive vibes.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well positive didn't help exactly. Worked until 5pm but still didn't really make much of a dent in the work and masses of work in this afternoon!
    I think I will have to go in tomorrow, and bring work home to do during the afternoon and evening after I have seen Mum. I will also have to work late as possible on Thursday and drop it off on my way to the airport on Friday.
    I interviewed a lady about taking Biggests job and a Saturday girl to do alternative weekends.
    I am not panicking but I am surprised that we have so much work coming in at this time of year. (Which is good!) but I wouldn't have agreed to the break away if I had been expecting so much work.
    It is going to only get better. I even have work from the seamstress I know in Towcester as she is inundated with work and can't do it all.
    • ognum
    • By ognum 6th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    ognum
    Well positive didn't help exactly. Worked until 5pm but still didn't really make much of a dent in the work and masses of work in this afternoon!
    I think I will have to go in tomorrow, and bring work home to do during the afternoon and evening after I have seen Mum. I will also have to work late as possible on Thursday and drop it off on my way to the airport on Friday.
    I interviewed a lady about taking Biggests job and a Saturday girl to do alternative weekends.
    I am not panicking but I am surprised that we have so much work coming in at this time of year. (Which is good!) but I wouldn't have agreed to the break away if I had been expecting so much work.
    It is going to only get better. I even have work from the seamstress I know in Towcester as she is inundated with work and can't do it all.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Mooloo, this is not supposed to be a criticism just an observation, how many holidays do you have a year. Do you allocate yourself a particular number of days. I am probably totally wrong but you always seem to be heading off somewhere!
    Last edited by ognum; 06-02-2018 at 8:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Feb 18, 10:09 PM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I have 28 days.
    That's pretty normal.
    But I split them up in short breaks regularly.
    Although since Dad died the winter holiday with Mum clashed with the January one with BF so we moved that to February believing in the fact February is usually very quiet.
    I had burnout and a nervous breakdown in 1995 from never taking a holiday and sewing from 6am - 4am!! Literally.
    March to November. I was a zombie.
    I worked every hour going. So I promised my self that I would have a break every 90 days. But School holidays and family commitments mean that I haven't been able to schedule it every 90 days since Dad died.
    But I will always schedule recouperation time regularly for my mental health now.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 9,771 Posts
    • 47,854 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Dgd is still unwell and not going to be able to go to school. So change of plans once again.
    Won't be able to take Mum out etc, luckily I did her bed on Saturday.
    I can call into work and bring some things home to do today, which gives me a lot more time to work and I can work into the evening as BF is not coming here until tomorrow.
    As Dgd is unwell and will not be able to go to school now, I have arranged for her Mum to come and collect her tomorrow instead of Friday as it would have been a problem with our flights etc. We are due to leave here after the school run. They were collecting at 3.25 from school. Luckily they can change the day.
    So problems solved.
    I have been able to drink my tea in bed, do my email etc and not got to wake Dgd and rush. I will get the work when she wakes naturally!

All I need now is for the lady I interviewed to agree to work with us and I will be able to relax on our long weekend away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,400Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin