Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 10,004Posts
    • 49,606Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 76
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Oct 18, 7:49 AM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Not sure if I can quite bring my A game, still snuffling, I might reach my C levels.? That may have to be enough.
    DS has a string of meetings and appointments today. I hope that they can get some positive results. The first is with the housing officer. The n the Solihull approach followed by a Social meeting that was cancelled last week.
    I can't waste my time worrying about it all as I cannot influence any of it.
    My focus is on getting Dgd to school, and my self organised at work today.
    I feel like I am on a tread mill going no where fast at work.
    The new lady is not really productive still, and I need to rethink her role in the business, if one at all.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 8th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 26,510 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Just keep putting one foot in front the other Mooloo - things WILL get better xxx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Oct 18, 8:38 AM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Just keep putting one foot in front the other Mooloo - things WILL get better xxx
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    Yes I will. I know that it will, as soon as I feel better everything will look differently.
    I still haven't been able to meet my new grandchild because of my health. If willing was all I needed I would be better by now!! This seems to be the longest bout of cough and cold I can remember.

At least my throat is not sore anymore. Bonus.

Time to get to work. Best foot forward, or something like that.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Oct 18, 5:39 PM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The day felt jinxed today, both my Seamstress and I struggled with various jobs on occasion today. I was trying to feed some trousers into the machine and caught my finger between the plate and the needle screw. That will be a black nail then!
    My brother rand me from France. His Skype is not working so I haven't spoken to him for a while.
    I am waiting to hear from DS how the meetings went today. There was a delay on his as his solicitor was stuck in court .
    I just want it all sorted now. The stress levels are too high for me at the moment.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 8th Oct 18, 6:47 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 26,510 Thanks
    thorsoak
    It is so frustrating when you have absolutely no input into a situation, yet the situation is going to have an impact on you and your family for a very long time - no wonder you are feeling bleugh! The outcome of the situation is out of your control - but it is still hard for you to accept this. Thinking of you. xx
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 9th Oct 18, 6:26 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 26,510 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Hope you have felt better today Mooloo and had a productive day. Hope Dgd is also feeling better.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Oct 18, 7:35 AM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Dgd is going to school, but has once again got a sore throat, and still sniffing.
    I feel a lot better and the Sunshine Yesterday was good for me.
    I finally got to see my newest grandchild. She's very dark haired. Lots of hair too. Looks to be feeding well.
    Biggest seems happier this time around.
    My Mum came with me so she had a quick cuddle too.
    I picked up my repaired sewing machines and we went to lunch at a pub near a river that I haven't been to in many many years. I worked there in 1982/3 but it was practically un reconisable. The food was good and Mum ate it all. That's a rarety.
    We then did my food shop in Lidl while we were that way. Although I bought a lot more other things than food. A futon cube, jeans, undies and a knitted dress, threads for the overlocker and a new note book.
    So blew my budget rather.
    Home in time to take Dgd to the bank and open her her first bank account. I couldn't open her a savings account as I don't have a personal account with them, only my business account. So the only way I can do that is to change my banking. Which I cannot do for another month with them!
    I have to look into what happened to the fund the government started when Dgd was born and get it changed before I can get her a junior isa. What a palaver.
    Home to start sewing again. A trolley full of trousers done between 5.30 and 9pm a bit of tv and then bed.
    I didn't sleep brilliantly and was woken early because I forgot to put my phone on do not disturb!

DS is being given the house swap. I believe they will sign for it today and have to hand back the other one on Monday. Good luck with that then. It means he will have to go back there to pack up his stuff etc and he only has a small VW polo so not sure how he will manage the furniture. I expect he will suddenly ask me to help him hire a van. ( when he thinks about it!)
    But if I can get my home back to myself and Dgd I will help.(just won't offer anything!)
    I hope that he will use the opportunity to improve his life and a new start all around.

I must have slept funny as my neck and left arm hurt a little bit today. I don't need that. I am back to being on my own in the shop Thursday and Friday as I had to let the new lady go. She made silly mistakes that could have ruined my reputation. She left pins in a job and sewed up the lining. Luckily the old Seamstress noticed just as the customer came to collect, so it didn't go out, but that was the last straw in a long list of errors.

Onwards and upwards!
    (I hope!)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 18, 8:08 PM
    • 57,503 Posts
    • 235,514 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the new house for DS.
    Hope all goes well.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Oct 18, 3:19 PM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    My Credit Card is taking a bashing this week. Hire of a van to move DS, and the housing now require the rent a month in advance. Usually Social Housing was every Monday. But the housing has been taken over by another company.
    I hope DS is not going to mess me about and will be paying me back as soon as possible. Certainly regular payment each week!
    I know my Mum would help if I needed it, but I don't want to have to ask.
    With any luck we will be seeing a better future for DS.

I am on my own at work, but just stopped for a cuppa as I haven't had a drink since 9am!
    The autumn weather is here today with leaves blowing in every time the door is open, and wet pram wheel marks the laminate flooring.
    The lights are on, and it is still dark. Thankful for the led lights on my sewing machine.
    I feel guilty for stopping but I must have a small break, or I will fade fast.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 12-10-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Predict text changes again
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Oct 18, 11:11 PM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    DS probably last evening here so he Baby sat Dgd and I went out for an Indian meal with a friend.
    Lovely food, great service. Mind you the wind blew us up the street and back again.!
    But it was a warm one.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 13th Oct 18, 9:08 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    DS probably last evening here so he Baby sat Dgd and I went out for an Indian meal with a friend.
    Lovely food, great service. Mind you the wind blew us up the street and back again.!
    But it was a warm one.
    Originally posted by Mooloo

Indian food can have that affect on people...
    • annandale
    • By annandale 13th Oct 18, 11:33 AM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    annandale
    My Credit Card is taking a bashing this week. Hire of a van to move DS, and the housing now require the rent a month in advance. Usually Social Housing was every Monday. But the housing has been taken over by another company.
    I hope DS is not going to mess me about and will be paying me back as soon as possible. Certainly regular payment each week!
    Why can't he pay for the van hire and for the months rent if both he and his gf are in work? Why does this always fall to you?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Oct 18, 2:15 PM
    • 5,887 Posts
    • 63,968 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh Mooloo, I just knew you would end up paying for the van
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 13th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Why can't he pay for the van hire and for the months rent if both he and his gf are in work? Why does this always fall to you?
    Originally posted by annandale
    Because some people are useless at finances, organisation and just life in general... and we all know at least one, even if it's not your coat tails they're hanging off. I'd imagine she just wants to see them settled in and then maybe they'll start to get their act together.
    ((hugs)) Mooloo.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 14th Oct 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Because some people are useless at finances, organisation and just life in general... and we all know at least one, even if it's not your coat tails they're hanging off. I'd imagine she just wants to see them settled in and then maybe they'll start to get their act together.
    ((hugs)) Mooloo.
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Or maybe as usually happens, they won't and Mooloo will be left paying their expenses off as she always does...

TBH what makes this any different? They were settled before in the previous house until they messed that up...who's to say this will be any different? Of course we are all hoping it will work out but going by past events I sadly think it's unlikely to be any different. No offence intended.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34

Debts Feb 2018 £6829.63

EF #70 £0/£1000
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Oct 18, 12:34 PM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    When one adverage £156 and the other £98 a week because the promised hours do not materialise you find that the car insurance, fuel and not much else is all they can pay. Attachment of earnings for council debts haven't helped. Yes they are at rock bottom. The chances of them having a miraculous turn around is highly unlikely. But if they are away from the family from hell. If they stay off of the drugs, and they continue to work with social over the children, then maybe they will grow up, realistically it will take time. DS is going for his HGV. That will help him into a different career from Bar Work. He has hope. If they decide to stay together and work on it, perhaps things will change.
    I don't know.
    If I am left paying for it, then I am. I don't want too write them off yet.
    I will figure something out if I have to, but it does put my dreams on to the pie in the sky thoughts at the moment.

I am finally feeling more like my self and I enjoyed working yesterday. The Saturday girl got out a sewing machine and made bunting. Work came in left right and centre. I had a commission to make dolls bedding for a Antique child's dolls pram, and really enjoyed it. Making pillows, matteresses, fitted sheets, flat sheets and quilts. I made a few extra ones, and embroidery on the flat sheets. I popped out to get my lunch and found a dolls cot in the charity shop, so I bought it and did some extra bedding for that one. Destined to be a present for one of the grandchildren then.
    This morning I have been working on my accounts.
    This evening I have about a dozen pairs of trousers for shortening to do, and probably some more accounts/paperwork to do.
    • Redlady.....
    • By Redlady..... 14th Oct 18, 2:52 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    Redlady.....
    A very positive post mooloo, hopefully it all works out as you wish.
    You are doing what most parents would do in your situation, whether it goes against the grain or not. I admire your fortitude and yes, you are doing the right thing for you, good luck with it all.

I feel sorry for all young families today, especially those who have difficulties anyway. It looks so hard, and for many hopeless, working or not. This wretched government have taken away from anyone who is unfortunate enough to fall on hard times, all the while looking for a new tax break further up for the rich and well off.

It's disgusting the way that fraudulent claims on benefits are highlighted left right and centre, when the percentage is extremely low compared to tax fraud and evasion.

I can understand why some people feel so desperate they resort to stealing, begging or suicide. This is 'Great' Britain fgs,
    'Mahatma Ghandi said “A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

Those of us who were lucky enough to have brought our kids up in the cradle to the grave eras knew that if things went wrong there was a decent safety net to catch us until we managed to get up again, in work(unions) or out of work. For the first time in my life I realise that the only way to get anywhere near to those standards we used to have is to vote for Jeremy Corbyns policies, because even a Blairite centre ground gov. couldn't possibly do enough in such a short time to counteract the evil of this government.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39980793
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Oct 18, 11:30 PM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I have managed to sew £196.50 worth of stuff this evening. It's taken me from 4.30 to 11.15 with about 40 minutes of that time cooking and eating dinner. But it takes the pressure off of tomorrow.
    I should be doing the wages for tomorrow, but I think I will do it at 7.30 in the morning now.
    Time for sleep.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Oct 18, 1:44 AM
    • 57,503 Posts
    • 235,514 Thanks
    beanielou
    That’s great.
    Hope you sleep well.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Oct 18, 1:00 AM
    • 10,004 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Mooloo
    After work today I have been doing business paperwork. Until now! Eek why don't I keep it up every week anymore? Slipped out of the habit, and everyone else using the laptop, but mostly I just kept procrastinating!
    Well it's done now anyway.
    Tomorrow it will be my personal paperwork, but for now, I need sleep.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,557Posts Today

9,748Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @DanFarnworth: Interesting watching @MartinSLewis tonight - it?s must watch for EVERY parent & every student scared of forefulling thier?

• RT @NeilWaite1: So many important messages for young people on #10things - as a teacher going to show this programme to my year 10 tutor gr?

• RT @BecsS1970: Must watch TV if you are an A-level student (or their parent) and you want to find out more about fees, ?loans? and living c?

• Follow Martin