Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 10,065Posts
    • 50,085Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 70
    • phryne
    • By phryne 20th Sep 18, 9:45 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    phryne
    I do admire anybody who can sew neatly, at speed. I certainly can't! Maybe you need someone who has had experience of sewing in a factory, or similar.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 20th Sep 18, 5:47 PM
    • 10,065 Posts
    • 50,085 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Very Probably!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 20th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 10,065 Posts
    • 50,085 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Yeah! After weeks of messing around with a cover for a crop sprayer, I have finally made something that works! Never again!
    Hopefully it will do what the farmer wanted it to do, and I can clear my workshop of 8ft of metal cage!
    The fabric artist has been back in with two new dresses to be made, and I have a cape to make for another customer.
    So I will have lots of making then.
    Cushion covers coming in thick and fast and now zips for coats. Winters on its way then.

Dgd is asleep and has hardly stirred from her room all day DS said.
    Got him to wash up their dishes, before I start to do lazy dinner of Pizza and garlic bread/salad.

Feeling a little more positive today!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 21st Sep 18, 7:30 AM
    • 10,065 Posts
    • 50,085 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Poor Dgd, she's really not very well. Paracetamol not really doing much for her.
    DS has contact this morning, so I am going to have to take her with me to work this morning.
    One of the Saturday girls has resigned. I knew it was on the cards. Luckily I changed the time of the children's lessons from 1 till 2 this season.
    There is a new fabric shop and workshop opened in the next village. So I have new competition. I am going to meet her next week. I am hoping that we can complement each other's businesses rather than fight over the same things. No point in both running the same workshops etc maybe we can cooperate with each other and enhance both places. I am hopeful anyway. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Still not sleeping well. Waking far too early and having a busy brain is not helping me, I am reverting to listening to various hypnosis tapes in the early hours of the morning so I am focusing on them rather than the incessant inner chatter.
    I spoke to the new lady yesterday morning and explained my situation. She took a note of the times etc it took her to do the work and the costs charged. She only just covered her wages for the day. Obviously I need to be making a profit, it has to cover my consumables, I.e. threads, needles, zips, electricity, and part of my overheads too.
    My business head says she is probably going to have to go, my want to help others heart wants to help her as she is about to loose her flat if she doesn't find a new flat mate and make the rent. Her landlord won't accept housing benefits. I am sure that that is illegal? I have told her that housing benefits can be paid to herself and not straight to the landlord, and she needs to speak to the local council.
    But don't shout at me, I know that is not my problem and I need my own wages.
    I think this week is probably going to be her last unless she drops her wage, or seriously puts a rocket somewhere!
    I am back to square one, and further behind as the Saturday needs cover too.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 21st Sep 18, 7:39 AM
    • 5,764 Posts
    • 26,623 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Poor DGD - sounds as if she is picking up new germs from school again. Good idea for contact with the new shop - and it does show that your business must have profit potential for another to open in the near vicinity - and joining forces is a great idea - complement each others strengths.

Stay positive - you are able now to recognise the "not my circus, not my monkeys" problems and although you can sympathise, you cannot waste your sympathies there. Don't forget, there is another group of 16 year olds coming up who are looking for Saturday jobs - have you any contacts in any of the senior schools that might still be running a GCSE textiles course?

Make today a good one - after all - you are still standing ! xxx
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 21st Sep 18, 10:35 AM
    • 6,847 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Her landlord won't accept housing benefits. I am sure that that is illegal? I have told her that housing benefits can be paid to herself and not straight to the landlord, and she needs to speak to the local council.
    But don't shout at me, I know that is not my problem and I need my own wages.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    It isn't illegal, no. Many BTL mortgages prohibit it, as well as some landlord insurance and 'rent guarantee' schemes. 'Being on benefits' isnt a legally protected characteristic for discrimination.

But, as you said, her issues are not yours.
    • phryne
    • By phryne 21st Sep 18, 10:48 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    phryne
    I'm afraid many private landlords won't touch HB tenants. We had this problem a few years ago.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 21st Sep 18, 4:32 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 4,435 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    But surely if she claims HB and has it paid to herself, therefore is able to meet the rent costs to the landlord, it isn't really any of his business? It would only be temporary until she can find another housemate.
    • phryne
    • By phryne 21st Sep 18, 4:47 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    phryne
    But surely if she claims HB and has it paid to herself, therefore is able to meet the rent costs to the landlord, it isn't really any of his business? It would only be temporary until she can find another housemate.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    If it's a new tenancy (sorry I haven't been following the story) the LL will want proof of earnings or similar, and may refuse to take on DSS tenants (as they used to be called)

If however it's an already existing tenancy there's no reason the LL would find out unless she told him, if she's paying him the rent via D/D

This happened to us, when we suddenly found ourselves having to claim benefits. We just didn't tell the LL. He got his money every month, so we thought why rock the boat.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 21st Sep 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    annandale
    If you are on universal credit the rent goes to you and not the landlord. In Scotland you can ask for it to be paid direct to landlord. Think that is harder to do in England.

If she is not on uc and she claims now Which you can do even if you are in part time work she will wait five weeks for her first rent payment.

But surely he can't just evict without going through a legal process which could take months.

If you don't want to keep her on then you could surely direct her in the direction of someone who might be able to give her advice such as cab. Who should be able to give her advice on what to do if she ends up roofless. Or potentially.

She needs to take action now to try and prevent this..

Landlords can refuse dss
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 21st Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 10,065 Posts
    • 50,085 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Yes I gave her the places to go etc.
    She called in sick today and decided the job was not for her and isn't coming back. I have said she can come in and practice in her own time in the workshop if she wants to improve her skills, but not on the payroll.
    So I am two staff down.
    Going to be back to work at home.
    Dgd is finally getting better.
    I can deal with it. I can.
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 21st Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    Artytarty
    That's a very geneorous offer from you to former staff.
    I wonder if she will take you up on it.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 23rd Sep 18, 11:14 AM
    • 10,065 Posts
    • 50,085 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I was on my own in the shop yesterday, so I had to cut out and Sew a dress on the Shop floor while serving customers. I enjoy making from scratch.
    The afternoon the children made Tote Bags. This time I got them choosing their fabrics from my stash, one chose blue with sea shells actually a 1980s curtains fabric which she lined in baby blue satin, the other chose lime green curtain fabric and lined with a lime green crepe. So subtle learning how to deal with slippery fabrics as well as cotton drill.
    I enjoy teaching immensely. So I had one of my best days, although not a financially productive one.
    After work went to do my Mums chores, then to see Biggest. She's very tired.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 23-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 23rd Sep 18, 2:37 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 64,293 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I'm glad you had such an enjoyable day, mooloo
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 24th Sep 18, 9:32 PM
    • 5,764 Posts
    • 26,623 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Hope all is well Mooloo x
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 25th Sep 18, 6:45 AM
    • 10,065 Posts
    • 50,085 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Hope all is well Mooloo x
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    I am ok.
    Have been let down by B & Q loosing the shed I ordered, so now Dgds Birthday is compromised as I have to source another one.
    DS keeps bringing the GF here when I am out. Not happy. Causing friction and stress levels to soar.His lack of thought makes me feel total lack of respect. He is being her taxi at my expense. Had plenty of words yesterday. Cancelled my bpay top up card he had for emergency as doing my budget he's had £180 this month. That's two weeks worth of my wages from the shop! Angry that they are using me.
    The rent is due out in 3 days and I will be in overdraft. They haven't paid me a penny back from last months or for this months.
    I can't go on like this.
    Seamstress came for her money yesterday. We had a chat. She wants to practice etc and has decided that my suggestion of half the ticket price is acceptable rather than no job. So she will come in on Thursday and we will see how that works.
    Getting more old folks calling for home visits. Fitting it in is a juggle but I hope that I am getting there. There is plenty of work to do. Hopefully I will keep on track.
    Dgd is better and back to school.
    Biggest is hanging on in there. I will have dgd2 Tuesday over night and do the school run Wednesday while Biggest goes in for her Caesar Wednesday morning next week. Wednesday sees Twin1, dgs5 and his Dad coming up for Dgds Birthday, and staying till Friday. The tent will need to be deployed. I hope that the rain stays away and the frost too.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 25-09-2018 at 6:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 25th Sep 18, 6:54 AM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 26,116 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned before but why are you paying for DS' rent?

As they are both working they both need to pay it - and as for using the emergency card, well words fail me after everything you have done for him.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 9/15
    (up to 12/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 25th Sep 18, 7:18 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Your DS has learned nothing from everything that's happened over the last few months.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 25th Sep 18, 7:48 AM
    • 6,847 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    marliepanda
    You need to kick him out, for your sake and your granddaughters.

He’s direspectful of your home, he is financially a drain which you can not afford, he is making zero progress, he has clearly no interest in bettering himself for his children. I understand you are his mother and throwing a child out is not easy but right now you are enabling him to leech from you whilst still disrespecting your home. He is a grown man who has made two children. He has to face up to his responsibilities if he had a cat in hells change of getting his children back or being allowed to keep any further children.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 25th Sep 18, 10:20 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    annandale
    Sorry mooloo but I agree. Stop paying his rent. If he's on a low income because he's zero hours he should be able to get housing benefit or housing element for the weeks he is on a lower income.

You paid his rent last month as well? Stop. The pair of them are working. Why can't they have a direct debit from their bank to pay their rent direct to landlord.

Why did they need to borrow it from you. If its due to low wages they can claim hb or housing element if they are in a uc area.

And if its overspending then that's an issue they need to sort. It's not up to you to bail them out every time they need rent. I understand that you care and are kind hearted but all you are doing when you do that is make sure that they aren't helping themselves. They don't need to. Because they know there is someone to go to if they spend all their wages
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,750Posts Today

8,562Users online

Martin's Twitter