Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,893Posts
    • 48,748Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 63
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 11th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 5,690 Posts
    • 26,064 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Instead of thinking about putting £2000 on your credit card, Mooloo, for an oldish car which could cost you mega bucks, it might be worth looking at some of the deals available on new cars - some with no deposit and 0% credit - which would be maintenance free, and low taxation.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 38,877 Posts
    • 35,702 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    TBH, I think if you changed your car you'd find yourself at the beck and call of too many people.

As the boys grew up and became less likely to travel with us, we downsized to a small car and we hire a big one on the rare occasions we need it.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 9,893 Posts
    • 48,748 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I won't do anything rash. I was just looking at the options.
    I am going to a meeting tomorrow with DS and Social to see/find out what exactly is going on. I will certainly not do anything immediately.

I had a flat tyre this morning so had to get a friend to help me as I couldn't shift the tyre nuts. All sorted, took itvto the garage and had a repair and then put it back. Been to Mum this afternoon. Mostly had a cup of tea and chatted. Dgd has spent most of the day attached to the gadgets due to hanging around for me. Did treat her to a McD on the way home.
    I've been on my online business course for the last couple of hours.
    Tired now.
    An early night needed I think tonight. Hopefully I will sleep better as lately it's been rather erratic.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 9,893 Posts
    • 48,748 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Long Day.
    I am to be assessed for the care of the boys.
    There is a lot that went on today but I cannot say here. I am too recognisable.
    I may have to go quiet for a while.

I am fine. I am strong, focused and being as practical as I can.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 56,176 Posts
    • 227,093 Thanks
    beanielou
    On a long term basis?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 13th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 5,690 Posts
    • 26,064 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Oh Mooloo :-(

You will do what you consider right for your family - but will it be right for you, long term?
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 13th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 6,981 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Oh Mooloo :-(

You will do what you consider right for your family - but will it be right for you, long term?
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    A million times this xxx
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Aug 18, 7:25 AM
    • 9,893 Posts
    • 48,748 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I hope that I will just be support.
    I could naturally be ruled out.
    DS and GF are off of the drugs, both working. DS has a solicitor now. GF is still trying to find one.
    Next step is parenting classes something called the Solihull Method/Approach, ? Starting in September. Review in October.
    Can't say much else about them.

Me, I will be expressing that my aim is to work with them to have the boys returned at some stage, when drug testing etc are proven improvement has been made. I will only Foster or possibly acquire legal authority in parental rights if deemed necessary. The plan is a temporary transition to support the family.
    I have a business to continue growing and Dgd to make sure is not neglected or pushed out.
    I will seek my own legal council if necessary . After meeting or for meetings in October. Meanwhile contact is at mine Tomorrow.
    I have lots of things going on. So I am staying focused and positive.
    • elisamoose
    • By elisamoose 14th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 4,754 Thanks
    elisamoose
    The Solihull approach is an evidence based parenting course.Therevare several around and each LA usually goes for one of them.Social workers,school staff etc are trained to deliver the sessions , often 10-12 weekly.
    parents whose children are on a child protection plan ( as the boys are I presume) would usually need to complete a course, especially if the child and family assessment reveals weaknesses in parenting ability.
    I assume yesterday’s meeting was a review CP conference and if so I understand you will be a bit she’ll shocked.Conference can be emotionally draining for professionals involved let alone family.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 9,893 Posts
    • 48,748 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am fine. I have been there before with the Boys that were eventually adopted. Also some of it with Dgd.
    The problem that I cannot go into details about is stuff that came to light while DS and GF were opening up to me. But as I say I cannot say anything else it would not be wise at the moment. Let's just say there is going to be some tough days ahead.
    Tomorrow we are having contact between 10am and 2pm now. So I will need to pop out early to make sure that I have lunch etc.
    Work has been very busy, and I have brought home some unpicking to do, and tomorrow afternoon I will probably have to go in and get work to do here at home during the evening if I want to get it done anytime soon.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 14th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 5,690 Posts
    • 26,064 Thanks
    thorsoak
    We do understand that you can't share everything with us Mooloo - you can vent here though! :-D
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 56,176 Posts
    • 227,093 Thanks
    beanielou
    As long as you take care of you xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Aug 18, 10:53 PM
    • 9,893 Posts
    • 48,748 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Off to bed. Busy day tomorrow. I have been reading my 1993 diary for a chapter in my book. Gosh I didn't make my life very easy.
    I had a job doing the playgroups paperwork, worked afternoons in a pub, sewed for a wedding Shop and a dry cleaner, also private sewing, had an Avon round and worked in a supermarket, while having a baby and had three little girls already, and I couldn't understand why I was exhausted and couldn't get organised!!!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Aug 18, 7:20 AM
    • 9,893 Posts
    • 48,748 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Yeah, finally my guardian ship assessment has changed and I am to receive about £11 a week more. Huge improvement from it going down each year. So I received just under £200 extra back pay to end of April. That has gone straight into my savings account.
    Also yesterday I made a £350 payment off of my largest credit card bill.
    Feeling hopeful that I can continue to chip away at the cards, and rebuild my emergency fund. I also have £400 in my Holiday fund, and £800 in the business saving fund. Long may my hard work keep paying off!

Today is Family! Xx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 15th Aug 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 62,115 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Good news, Mooloo, re guardianship Allowance
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Aug 18, 5:53 PM
    • 9,893 Posts
    • 48,748 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Yesterday we had the boys from 10 till 4pm
    Dgs3 was so excited to see me, squealing Granny as he saw me. The baby was asleep when he arrived. My Son and his GF were on time, and are beginning to look a lot better and you can tell they are off the drugs as they were more alert, engaging and cleaner!
    It was heart breaking when they were collected, dgs3 didn't want to get in the car he wanted to stay with us.
    The social called to ask how contact went, and then another branch of them rang to book an appointment with me on the 29th. So I am to be assessed as a long term carer again.
    I think I have found someone that can keep the shop open for me if I have to stop suddenly. I will have to work around that if the need arises, but I am hoping that it will not be necessary, if DS and GF keep up the good work and engage with everyone they need to.
    Tomorrow DGD is going to her Mum's for the rest of the summer holiday. So after dinner I need to pack her suitcase.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,810Posts Today

8,098Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin