Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 10,155Posts
    • 50,827Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 62
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 1:00 PM
    • 58,839 Posts
    • 244,129 Thanks
    beanielou
    Here's hoping.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 8th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 3,595 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Sounds like the fabled case of 'the right hand doesn't know what the left hand's doing'. I honestly think the whole Social Services needs re-organising from the top down.
    Hope you manage to get something sorted for next week.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Aug 18, 9:30 PM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 50,827 Thanks
    Mooloo
    He has found me on the system. I had to chase him. I waited all day for him to call so I called and left a voicemail.
    I can arrange to have the boys if I can go to the foster family and collect them next week. Only problem is my car is a sports car, and I cannot fit everyone in.
    So close and yet so far. Mad thoughts of me going to buy another car pass through my mind. Unless I can borrow a car I don't know what exactly I could do.
    He also told me that there is a meeting on Monday in Daventry. So if DS wants me to help him then I need to be there. Do I have the time and strength to start dealing with SS all over again?
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 58,839 Posts
    • 244,129 Thanks
    beanielou
    He has found me on the system. I had to chase him. I waited all day for him to call so I called and left a voicemail.
    I can arrange to have the boys if I can go to the foster family and collect them next week. Only problem is my car is a sports car, and I cannot fit everyone in.
    So close and yet so far. Mad thoughts of me going to buy another car pass through my mind. Unless I can borrow a car I don't know what exactly I could do.
    He also told me that there is a meeting on Monday in Daventry. So if DS wants me to help him then I need to be there. Do I have the time and strength to start dealing with SS all over again?
    Originally posted by Mooloo

Only you know.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 8th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 7,614 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Hire car deal?
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Aug 18, 7:10 PM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 50,827 Thanks
    Mooloo
    There was a call today saying that there was a possibility that we could see the boys on Saturday but unfortunately I am on my own in the shop. Then it is dgs4s 3 Birthday and we have a BBQ planned. So too short notice for me. I hope DS can arrange next Wednesday as I am trying to rearrange time with my Mum for Sunday this weekend to be free for Wednesday.
    I have seen a Vauxhall Zafira on local garage website for around £2,000
    If I need to get a car I can put it on my credit card and then juggle the budget until I can cash in my small pension. It's only worth £2 a week so not worth being a pension if I need the cash to change my car. Although I really don't want to get rid of my sports car!

Just thoughts at the moment.
    I wish the boys were allowed home, but DS and GF still don't listen enough and have still not sorted out their lives.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    • 8,378 Posts
    • 13,054 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Will you also need to buy child seats?
    The rules have changed alot since my DD needed a car seat but I understand not all seats fit all models of car.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 10th Aug 18, 12:47 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 26,973 Thanks
    thorsoak
    You could hire a Zafira for a weekend, from Enterprise Brackley costing around £250 - and you would still have your sports car.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 10th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 7,614 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I can usually hire a small vehicle for £50 a day at the weekends. You'd need to do that 40 times before it became more economic to buy a bigger car. I might give it a month or two and see how the visits/situation were going.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I have to question the expense of a new car and car seats if DS and his partner have not changed their behaviour then it may be a short term answer can you not take the children to a play area or park in their buggy near the foster parents?
    Originally posted by bellabella
    Exactly. Buying a new car to take grandchildren out, who being honest, are not going to be in her life much longer, is crackers, as is having 2 cars in Mooloo's position.

Honestly I dont really understand. Your recent post was about refining your dreams and having enough money to fly out at a moments notice to view properties for sale in Portugal, and now you are looking to buy a new family car for a family which is in the process of being removed.
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 10th Aug 18, 10:33 AM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 13,489 Thanks
    *Robin*
    I have seen a Vauxhall Zafira on local garage website for around £2,000

I really don't want to get rid of my sports car!

Just thoughts at the moment.
    I wish the boys were allowed home, but DS and GF still don't listen enough and have still not sorted out their lives.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Hi Mooloo,

Thoughts on your thoughts:

These days, any £2K car - especially from a commercial rates' paying business - will be a money pit, from the moment it's short-term guarantee expires.

You get a lot of pleasure out of your sports car - which you had to wait years to be able to buy - don't throw it away for something that may already be a lost cause, given DS & GF's failure thus far to step up and sort themselves out.

More practical solutions have already been suggested, to which I would add perhaps ask whether the foster parents would be willing to drop off the boys if you cover their fuel costs and maybe entrance to an attraction local to you, where they could spend the afternoon?

Rx
    Last edited by *Robin*; 11-08-2018 at 4:21 PM.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 11th Aug 18, 11:19 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 26,973 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Hope all is well Mooloo x
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 50,827 Thanks
    Mooloo
    As I said it was just a thought.
    I am going to the Social Meeting with DS on Monday and hopefully will find out what exactly is going on. If they do let me in. Although now DS has finally got a solicitor involved.
    The thought about changing the car was because not only these boys, but for the ability to have my other grandchildren too. Currently I can't. Mind you that was why I chose my sports car. I have had that 2 years today! Where did the time go?

I will get my Dreams, they will just have to be a bit later than I had wanted. But I set my goals and I have been ticking them off slowly but surely.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 11th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 26,973 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Instead of thinking about putting £2000 on your credit card, Mooloo, for an oldish car which could cost you mega bucks, it might be worth looking at some of the deals available on new cars - some with no deposit and 0% credit - which would be maintenance free, and low taxation.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 39,251 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    TBH, I think if you changed your car you'd find yourself at the beck and call of too many people.

As the boys grew up and became less likely to travel with us, we downsized to a small car and we hire a big one on the rare occasions we need it.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 50,827 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I won't do anything rash. I was just looking at the options.
    I am going to a meeting tomorrow with DS and Social to see/find out what exactly is going on. I will certainly not do anything immediately.

I had a flat tyre this morning so had to get a friend to help me as I couldn't shift the tyre nuts. All sorted, took itvto the garage and had a repair and then put it back. Been to Mum this afternoon. Mostly had a cup of tea and chatted. Dgd has spent most of the day attached to the gadgets due to hanging around for me. Did treat her to a McD on the way home.
    I've been on my online business course for the last couple of hours.
    Tired now.
    An early night needed I think tonight. Hopefully I will sleep better as lately it's been rather erratic.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 50,827 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Long Day.
    I am to be assessed for the care of the boys.
    There is a lot that went on today but I cannot say here. I am too recognisable.
    I may have to go quiet for a while.

I am fine. I am strong, focused and being as practical as I can.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 58,839 Posts
    • 244,129 Thanks
    beanielou
    On a long term basis?

***Keep plodding***
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 13th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 26,973 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Oh Mooloo :-(

You will do what you consider right for your family - but will it be right for you, long term?
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 13th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 7,614 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Oh Mooloo :-(

You will do what you consider right for your family - but will it be right for you, long term?
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    A million times this xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,163Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter