Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,989Posts
    • 49,488Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 61
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 2nd Aug 18, 9:54 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    She may indeed fail with her soap making, if she ever gets started properly. But unless she tries who knows. The people on the course that she did, are supposed to be supporting her etc.
    Unfortunately I am too far away to do it, and far too busy with everything else going on as well.

If I know about meetings etc I can remind her that she has to be somewhere, but financially I cannot help her even if I wanted to.
    She is slow, she needs guidance but that doesn't mean she can't try to work, I certainly can't discourage her on the grounds that she might fail. If the people on the course do their job then she should be guided as necessary.
    I hope that enthusiasm and support can help her but if she has not raised the funds it's not happening anytime soon
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 3rd Aug 18, 8:00 AM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning. Nightmares prevailed! So feel rather jaded this morning. I am on my own in the shop again today. Always slows me down but it can be good talking to the customers. I am beginning to remember more people's names now, because I don't have a receptionist in the mix.
    Dgd is not the best at getting up which is a stressful time of the day. But once I get her to the school club then I put positive thoughts through my head and sing in my head, so by the time I get to work I manage to overcome the stress I start with.
    The heat is a little much when having to repair coats, but it all helps with my joints and my depression so this has helped me be so much more positive on the whole.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    • 57,332 Posts
    • 234,556 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 7:28 PM
    • 57,332 Posts
    • 234,556 Thanks
    beanielou
    Mooloo~~a programme for you to watch on the TV.
    ITV on Tuesday.
    10k holiday homes.
    Find out if it is possible to buy & rennovate a house for 10k in Portugal.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I did see one for £10,000 last year that was not too bad but only seeing ruins at that price at the moment. But that is only on Rightmove and zoopla.
    When Mum and I go at Christmas time we are going sight seeing around the area. We're going to drive around the towns and villages I have been looking at, and start to get a feel for the area and although I expect estate agents might be closed for the holidays see what signs are up and get details etc.
    But I will watch the program with interest!
    Currently the house I like is £33.000 I think it was. But that comes fully furnished.
    I have also seen a really big property that needs attention at £55,000 that has 5 bedrooms and all living space is upstairs and the downstairs needs renovation as it was for animals and storage etc
    To me that is a workshop. Who knows one day!

Mind you I have a lot to do here first.
    I still have 14 months on my current lease.

Yesterday two women came in asking when I was closing down. I said I am not. That was the Shop next door that closed. So then one said oh good I will bring my curtains in then!

I am going to have to get a local advert done if it starts to rumour.

On the Twin2 front she asked for £20 for Food yesterday. So I said what food I would send a mr T order.
    That cost me £30 with delivery charge and excess charge because it was under £40. But I know what food she has then.
    And can't spend the money on something else
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 5th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 7,334 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I don't mean to be mean, but what happened to stopping handouts, because YOUR DREAM MATTERS?

You can tell her how foodbanks work....
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • ognum
    • By ognum 5th Aug 18, 10:42 AM
    • 4,590 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    ognum
    I don't mean to be mean, but what happened to stopping handouts, because YOUR DREAM MATTERS?

Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Hmm, I don’t want to get into an argument but I completely disagree, whatever my dream was I would not see my child (whatever age) hungry.

I don’t know of any foodbank that does not require referral from a person in authority, that takes time, meanwhile your child is hungry while you save.

I am of course aware that Mooloo isn’t flush with money, the reason for that is she is kind hearted and helps others. Did she need new fancy shoes? No but she was helping someone. Many of Mooloo gratuitous purchases and holidays I question to myself but handouts to her family I don’t.

Just my opinion!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 6,668 Posts
    • 14,460 Thanks
    marliepanda

Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Dreams are nice, but, being practical it’s going to need a pretty huge change of circumstances for this to come true, so helping our family is necessary.

Her daughter being hungry is something that can be sorted and achieved. £30 isn’t going to make a difference in the long run. No parent is going to allow their child to go hungry. This is the same child that got a ‘handout’ to start a soap business? That would be more wasteful IMo than a Tesco order.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 5th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 7,334 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Dreams are nice, but, being practical it’s going to need a pretty huge change of circumstances for this to come true, so helping our family is necessary.

Her daughter being hungry is something that can be sorted and achieved. £30 isn’t going to make a difference in the long run. No parent is going to allow their child to go hungry. This is the same child that got a ‘handout’ to start a soap business? That would be more wasteful IMo than a Tesco order.
    Originally posted by marliepanda

But the message is still that you don't need to be self sufficient; a bail out will always be here. Which does not lead to a change in behaviour.

We're not going to agree on this though!
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The food bank needs a referral voucher and is not open every day either.
    I am not thrilled that I have handed out funds once more, but as her ESA has stopped and Universal Credits have not started I don't really feel that I have much of a choice.
    It is not because she has been reckless with her benefits after all.
    I will get my Dreams eventually. I just have to wait a bit longer.
    Before I can reach my Dreams I have to refine my goals.
    You can't expect a dream to materialise over night. It takes work and determination.
    I have that in abundance.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Just back from an afternoon at the Cinema with Dgd. Mama Mia 2
    We thoroughly enjoyed it, and the drive to town with the roof down and the wind in our hair. Even better that I got to use my nectar points.
    To round up the day it's a Meal Deal for us.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Work day. I better get a move on. I am sitting in my dressing gown on the garden swing seat, just finished my cup of tea.
    It's lovely listening to the birds and soaking up the sun. But I need to get Dgd up and ready for school club and me for work. I have a lot to try to do today while I have the Seamstress I need to use the top floor work space to cut out a costume and do some curtains.
    Window is going to have to be opened and the air conditioner on up there.
    Time to move!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Social are arranging for the boys to come here for their visit with their parents, on Wednesday. So I will get to see my grandsons soon.
    X
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 57,332 Posts
    • 234,556 Thanks
    beanielou
    That's good

***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Aug 18, 7:20 AM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I spent 3 hours working on my book yesterday evening.
    There is going to be a lot of alterations to that too!
    So I had about 10 pages drafted and now I have 14. For 1978-1995 of my life. Doesn't seem much for so long, but I don't have diaries for those years. I didn't really start writing until 1993. I think I have to start revisiting my old diaries and seeing if there is anything of interest or suitable to put in them. So it is a good time for me to gather together all the notebooks from boxes, shelves, and attic. This could take quite some time.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Aug 18, 9:42 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    DS been in touch, first when he ran out of petrol, and second tonight when arguing with her.
    I wish I could help but on neither occasion did I.
    I watched the program about 10k holiday homes. Funnily she's in the very area I am looking !!!55357;!!!56900;
    The house I asked About but rep was on holiday so I couldn't do see, is now Reserved.
    Soda Law.
    So my next goal is to have extra funds put back for a quick flight out for viewing.
    Sunday to Tuesday when I have staff
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Aug 18, 7:24 AM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Today is going to be a busy day.
    I was planning on doing a food Shop before the boys visit, and visit my Mum afterwards, but Royal Mail just text to say they are delivering my sky broadband box today between 9.16 and 1.16 so I am not sure I will be able to Food Shop first. Then I need to go back to one of my elderly customers in a village to sort out her slip we made as the straps are too long and it needs some adjusting. That's now pencilled in for 5pm.
    There was a webinar that I wanted to see and that's at 1pm - 3pm
    Something is going to have to give.
    Such is life.
    I had a restless last 3 hours, and my mind wouldn't switch off, and my thoughts popped up in my dreams which turned into nightmares.
    All my kids, my parents, and several of the grandchildren were mixed up in my dreams and all in trouble one way or another, I was unable to help, got stuck in a street where the pavement kept opening up under my feet. It was all very disturbing.
    I always feel quite disoriented when I wake up from dreams like that.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Heart broken, The Social Worker didn't check my details so didn't organise the contact. I have just been told. Gutted.
    Is there such a thing as a competent social worker in Northamptonshire? I don't think so
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 57,332 Posts
    • 234,556 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear that.

***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 49,488 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Sorry to hear that.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I have spoken to the worker concerning this and he is due to call me back later. Let's hope he sorts it today so we can see them next week.
    Now I need to shake off my negative energy and find some Positive ones.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin