Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 10,089Posts
    • 50,268Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 55
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jul 18, 7:02 PM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Spent too long day dreaming this evening looking at properties in Portugal. Don't know why I am really as I don't have the funds and would need a miracle to find £1,000 never mind the £35,000 for the house I want.
    I better practice the Law of Attraction etc and belt and brace my finances.

A girl is allowed to dream.
    Especially when I am not feeling well and I have no energy to do anything else.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,826 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not a good start for your new start.
    What do some people think.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Not a good start for your new start.
    What do some people think.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    My instinct is to wonder if she's serious about the job or thinks that she's going to be on a cushty number.
    I would never dare to say that on my first day!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,826 Thanks
    beanielou
    My instinct is to wonder if she's serious about the job or thinks that she's going to be on a cushty number.
    I would never dare to say that on my first day!
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Well most people wouldent.
    Especially when jobs are so scarce.
    Is she young?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well most people wouldent.
    Especially when jobs are so scarce.
    Is she young?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    No she's in her 40s I think
    • mrmechanic
    • By mrmechanic 11th Jul 18, 10:47 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    mrmechanic
    Here we go.
    New lady due to start tomorrow and has just text to say she needs to leave at 2.30 to go see a rescue dog!
    Not a great start to your first day on the job is it!
    Thank you for the text letting me know you will only be working till 2.30.
    Unfortunately you may have sent this to the wrong person as the job i have a vacancy for is not flexi time, i state the times my employees work and not them.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 12th Jul 18, 2:57 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,377 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Thank you for the text letting me know you will only be working till 2.30.
    Unfortunately you may have sent this to the wrong person as the job i have a vacancy for is not flexi time, i state the times my employees work and not them.
    Originally posted by mrmechanic
    Love it!
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Oh wish I had thought of that. I had just replied with OK. See you tomorrow.
    So I am now thinking about the words that need to be said on her arrival at 9.30. Unfortunately it doesn't help that I have very little voice at the moment.
    I am definitely going to have to get a back bone, and insist that the job is taken seriously and that time is money.
    While I sort of watched the football I spent the time reading, studying my Portuguese, and then I needed to start on a new journal so I started to transfer the budget figures from recently worked info in the last journal.
    I also re thought my goals.
    I realise that my business is more important to me than I thought of late. That my health needs to be improved still further, and that the debts of my children are what I have accumulated in the past few years, and that I doubt that I will see my Son paying me back anything anytime soon.
    Seeing houses in Portugal for £30,000 -£60,000 that would make my dreams come true, that might as well have an extra couple of noughts on the end for how close I am, I realise that focusing on my expenses, and bringing in more cash to do down the debt and rebuild the savings pot is the next most important thing to me at the moment.
    I realised that my family/ relationships are less of a priority than I used to think. Obviously Mum and DGD are the two most important people to me, but I have become disappointed with the adult kids, and I don't want to get close to the babies and little people anymore because I cannot take the hurt.
    So the steps towards my goals are to take better care of my health, do down the debts and rebuild the savings, and rebuild the business profit line.
    To do down the debts I am going to have to say no to my friend a little more, and suggest she comes round for tea instead of going to the pub. Reduce it to one a month maybe.
    Stop popping into the shop next door for bargain clothes I really don't need and only want ( mind you she is closing down at the end of the month so that will be easier).
    Draw up better cost sheets, time sheets and spreadsheets so that I can see at a glance the business facts and figures.
    Ok I can do this. (Again!)
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 12th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,377 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Oh Mooloo I feel for you, I really do.

I hope the new seamstress has taken on board that the job is one that requires some responsibility from her. You need to know that she won't drop you in it at the last second! Initially at least you need to be the 'boss' and not the nice lady who's paying her to spend a few hours in her shop each week!

I can also empathise with reality hitting home with regards to retrieving money lent to the kids
    Not just me, but my 2 closest friends have (and are) in the same position. It's taken us years ( the said kids are now well into their 40's) to realise that WE allowed the situation to happen. I think it's to do with us having no help from parents etc when we were starting out (none of them had the money to help out) so tried to ensure that our kids had the help that we didn't .

Unfortunately all it did was make them think that the bank of Mam was a bottomless pit I've written off tens of thousands and have only in the last year or so learned to say NO and mean it. I think it's the hardest thing I've ever learned to do.

Cling to your dreams Mooloo, because you CAN make them happen, if you learn to put yourself first.... if you don't nobody else will/ ((((hugs))))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Seamstress gone as she couldn't do very much at all when it came to starting. Luckily in general chat I showed her some of the jobs recently done, like the fleece cut by the paramedics that had to be pieced together and the zip replaced. She couldn't believe that you couldn't see my stitches except under the magnifying glass. A dress that had a ladder in the fabric, knitted fabric that I had to knit the stitches up so it was nearly invisible.
    I said that perhaps she was punching above her weight and that if she needed training then she's going to have to go on minimum wage.
    When she went to go home she came down and said that actually she was not up to it and wasn't going to come back.
    So the search to get another one is on again.

I am going to work as hard as I can, to get my dreams
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,826 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey, you could not make it up.

***Keep plodding***
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 12th Jul 18, 10:00 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    Its a shame Mooloo but at least you found out suitably early on & only had the one wasted day xx
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd: £114800 £100k
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • mrmechanic
    • By mrmechanic 12th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    mrmechanic
    Seamstress gone as she couldn't do very much at all when it came to starting.
    Lucky escape for you as that was never going to last or end well when she is dictating when she will be finishing on first day.

Training her up on minimum wage was also going to be a waste of time for you as you would not be making any money if you were spending time on training while paying work wasn't getting done.

If you are going to be paying out another wage that you cannot really afford when you are struggling to get a wage yourself after all this time. They need to be earning their wage as well as a big enough percentage on top that goes into the business. I think you need to toughen up if you are going to employ anyone else .

If the sums don't add up and they are not bringing enough benefits for you, then they are not worth employing.
    Good luck
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
    • Litha
    • By Litha 13th Jul 18, 12:09 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Litha
    You are certainly not having much luck with your staff, Mooloo!
    I wish you lived in Glasgow, I envy your expertise with invisible stitching ( my Mum can do this, but doesn't sew much, now she is in her late seventies)
    Linda :-)
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    You are certainly not having much luck with your staff, Mooloo!
    I wish you lived in Glasgow, I envy your expertise with invisible stitching ( my Mum can do this, but doesn't sew much, now she is in her late seventies)
    Linda :-)
    Originally posted by Litha
    I am still learning invisible mending really. I don't offer invisible but obviously I need things to be as neat and acceptable as possible, and as I do more and more it gets a little better each time. Working through a magnifying glass has helped me considerably.

My intention was for someone to earn more than their income as my current seamstress does, she adds value to the business and covers much more than she costs. The idea was for another Seamstress to do the same, which would then free me up to concentrate on the figures, profit margins, advertising, classes and build up the sales etc.
    I can take a wage at the moment, through the summer I can usually manage around £100 a week, but obviously I want treble that to live on.
    That's why I didn't replace my daughter with another receptionist. I am doing two jobs at the moment. I have cleared the overdraft and I have paid myself too. I am on the up and up, as I am working hard to sort out the past mistakes.
    I know that I can do it I just need to find the right person.
    • Cairn
    • By Cairn 15th Jul 18, 8:29 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Cairn
    Mooloo - glad things are stable at the moment!

Have you thought about an apprentice? I don!!!8217;t know how it works so it might be a stupid comment but it is worth looking into, no?
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo - glad things are stable at the moment!

Have you thought about an apprentice? I don!!!8217;t know how it works so it might be a stupid comment but it is worth looking into, no?
    Originally posted by Cairn
    I have tried but there is nothing around my area, nearest college is lemington spa and kids won't travel there as there is no direct public transport.
    There usedto be a scheme that would do the training all in house but when apprentices changed two years ago it was stopped.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Two more sleeps and then holiday. Two very busy days ahead to get as much work done as possible before I go.
    I won't be able to clear the decks but I hope that I can make a good attempt.
    Saw Mum yesterday afternoon, she's much better now.
    Went to Sainsbury's and bought Dgd some new clothes for the holidays. She's growing so much at the moment.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 16th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 64,422 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I hope you have a good time and a bit of a rest Mooloo
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jul 18, 7:36 PM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 50,268 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I hope you have a good time and a bit of a rest Mooloo
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Thankyou. I am really ready for it this time. Well I am always ready for a holiday really.
    Dgd is getting excited.
    I have done most of the packing but I cannot find my bag scales anywhere?
    I might need to see if boots or mr T have any as flying Ryanair I don't want to be over on the weight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

867Posts Today

7,920Users online

Martin's Twitter