Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 10,081Posts
    • 50,207Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 54
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    A relaxing start to the day after Dgd went to School I had a bath, the did the vacuum, cleaned the kitchen, did a couple of wash loads. Washed the car. Went to Mum, took her shopping at Aldi. She's very frail. It was a slow walk, and she had to use her inhaler.
    Dropped off some baby clothes for Biggest and collected a bag of boys clothes for a friend's grandchild.
    Home for a late lunch, and Dgd coming home.
    Popped to work to drop off a roll of fabric and bring back a matteress roll, nipped to the post office to post a book to Twin2 and a letter. Home again now to put my feet up until time to cook dinner.
    Dgd has been snacking so isn't hungry yet.
    Time for a bit of my Portuguese on my kindle.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    During the evening I developed a cough and a sore throat. I have a dull ache in my chest, and a tickley cough. Working on my own for the next two days so no choice but to plod on.
    I never did do the work I brought home, so I am going to have to juggle the spreadsheet and make sure that the priority items are done first so nobody is left with out their items. I know there are several shirts that need tailored before tomorrow.
    I cleaned out the paddling pool yesterday but I didn't refill it, although I did buy chlorine tablets and a dispenser yesterday so hopefully when I do fill it it will last a bit longer.
    The soup I made for dinner was not too bad, considering it's got kale in it. So I will be having some of that tonight. I would have taken to work but I still haven't taken the microwave back. So pitta bread, hummus and salad leaves for lunch.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 64,390 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    That sounds a really nice lunch, Mooloo. i hope you feel better soon. Please go to the doctor if your chest gets worse!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Jul 18, 6:59 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Changed the evening meal to pork steaks and salad as I really didn't fancy the recipe for the day. I probably won't loose as much weight but it was only a tiny one around 3 inches long by 2x
    Refilled the paddling pool and used the chlorine tablets in their dispenser so hopefully it will keep the water clearer for a few days.
    My day at work was a steady plod. The new roll of dress covers arrived, so I covered the items waiting for collection. As it is so warm the shop door is open so being next to a building site it gets very dusty so I am hoping that it will protect the clothes.
    I lost my voice and had several coughing fits, answering the phone or calling customers was funny as I squeaked at them. The curtains that were booked in for same day turn around never turned up, so after 40 minutes doing office related work while I waited, I gave up, telephoned and left a message that I needed to know their timings for my work schedule or I would've not been able to complete them in the day. No response.
    It did allowcme to work through the other items on my spreadsheet and a few that somehow I hadn't put on it. ( the last few jobs in the old book somehow were missed). So every cloud has a silver lining.
    Today I am still coughing and am not really brilliant but I need to work.
    Dgd has a camping experience today at school so I will be closing dead on time, dashing home to collect her from aftercare and then getting her back to school at 5pm to pitch tents etc. The campfire is cancelled due to the weather and a water fight is proposed instead! So even more clothes and towels now required!
    I am not looking forward to collecting her at 9am and still getting down to the shop in time to open up at 9.30.
    She's probably going to be tired and all her stuff will just have to stay wet during the day in the car.
    It is the British Grand Prix here this weekend so the road to my Mums is nigh on impossible to travel in the mornings and afternoon evening until after about 8pm especially on Saturday and Sunday. So I hope Mum doesn't need anything.
    We have to go against the traffic towards Oxford on Sunday for a birthday BBQ. That should be interesting!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    As usual a busy day. Quite a lot of collections and only a few jobs in, so I am catching up which is a little daunting when I am starting new staff next week. Oh well.
    My friend is going to collect Dgd for me in the morning and bring her down to work around 11 so that's my morning problem solved.
    Starting to feel more in control.
    I weighed in and I have lost 7lb in the last 10 days. So I am happy to know that I can do it, and I am not going hungry. Although my friend and I are going to the pub tonight while the kids are camping at school.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 6th Jul 18, 9:46 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 64,390 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I hope DGD enjoys herself and that you have a restful night despite the heat!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Jul 18, 7:59 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The pub was full and over an hours wait for a table so we walked down the town and had an Indian instead. It was very tasty, but this morning my tummy is not so happy. Too much rich food after a week of salads and fruits etc. My cough is worse. Time for some medicine.glad that I am only having to work until 2pm today. I don't plan to do much this afternoon/evening but sit with my kindle and my feet in the pool.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 8th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hope you're feeling a bit better today Mooloo.

Maybe you need to think about seeing a doctor for that cough. XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 64,390 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hope you're feeling a bit better today Mooloo.

Maybe you need to think about seeing a doctor for that cough. XX
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    I agree. I once ignored a cough because I was so busy, and ended up with pleurisy!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Jul 18, 5:41 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Not ignoring it, but I will go if it doesn't get better in the next couple of days. The voice is a little better.
    Wow it's warm out there today. Driving to see friends for a little girls birthday so we had the sunroof down. Nice. But sitting in the garden under a gazebo was rather too warm for the children.
    Home now. Contemplating going to put my feet in Dgds paddling pool, but just need 30 minutes out of the sun after being in the fullglare on the way home.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Accounts finally under control.
    Dgds pool has split and not repairable.
    Would have liked to get a replacement but Argos doesn't have any for deliveries and collections are MK and I would have to wait until Wednesday.
    Even then I doubt I have time to go as it's my last day with Mum for three weeks as my holiday is a Wednesday to Wednesday. Of course when I booked it she was supposed to be still in France, with my sister.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Jul 18, 10:59 PM
    • 39,186 Posts
    • 36,101 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    We didn't have a paddling pool for very long: water fights were more fun, either with supersoakers or just chucking water around!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Jul 18, 7:42 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    It's Sod's law that I just spent £34.98 on cleaning products for the pool.
    Dgds glasses are due to be paid for tomorrow, so I need to find £90 for those.
    It's definitely going to be a budget revisit again to juggle the funds.
    One of these days I will not have to juggle and I will have enough.
    Time to improve my business profit line so that I can pay myself more.
    The new Seamstress is joining me on Thursday. I am hoping that within a few weeks she will be proving her worth and freeing me up to do more business practices to get that profit margin up. I realise that my having to pay extra wages will make a dent, but if I knuckle down to the promotions, advertising and customer services side of the business.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    All I can say was today was a long slog!
    I am tired and ready for my bed as soon as I can get Dgd to hers. She'd stay up half the night these days though, given half the chance.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 9th Jul 18, 9:47 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    Chrystal
    I had to smile at Dgd. I can remember my Mam shouting upstairs to me, as she tried to get me up for school, 'you should have been a Theatrical, up all night and sleep all day'.... I'm still a nighthawk!
    I Believe.....
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 10th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Voice gone. Pharmacist told me to not talk. Difficult at work and with 10 year old child who is not a morning person!
    Work back to an even keel.
    Visits to the disabled now seem to be part of the norm.
    I will have to remember that I am not a charity though and that I need to consider my travel time in future as well as visiting time., yet I don't want to discriminate against the disabled either.
    I am not sticking exactly to my diet. I lost 7lb but nothing since Friday. Not surprised really. Don't feel well enough.
    Trying to look after my self as much as possible!!
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 10th Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Regarding the visits to the disabled clients, remember that the DLA/AA is to cover paying for things like this. I'm sure if you asked them they would be more than happy to pay for your travel time.

Hope you're feeling better soon. X
    I Believe.....
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jul 18, 6:45 AM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am staying home today!
    Enough is enough. I will potter if I feel like it and do nothing if I don't.
    Except the tax credit renewal. I keep forgetting to do that. Time is running out so no more putting it off.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jul 18, 4:42 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Two wash loads done. Alas tissues left in Dgds black shorts, black wash is a mess!
    Paper mountain sorted, lots recycled.
    Housing benefits form filled in, need to post it.
    Personal budget revisions done, money shuffled about.
    Hair dye finally done.
    Dgd brought Home by two ladies as she fell off her bike on the way home from school. Scraped knees. She was lucky not worse. Abandoned bins in the way after bin day.
    No talking and voice rested.
    Not much energy to do anything else really so good day for Paperwork.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jul 18, 6:57 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 50,207 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Here we go.
    New lady due to start tomorrow and has just text to say she needs to leave at 2.30 to go see a rescue dog!
    Not a great start to your first day on the job is it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,638Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter