Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,773Posts
    • 47,859Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 3
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I didn!!!8217;t manage to even look for fabric for the waistcoat!
    I did a small job on the coverstitch machine but after some fittings I Played!
    I got out the Demonstration model that!!!8217;s an embroidery machine combination and step by step I put it through its paces, learning how to use it both as an ordinary machine, and then as an embroidery machine.
    I actually spent nearly all day on it.. but I learned a lot about it, so I could confidently sell it now, but also I have found that I could do some things on it that would actually help me in the day to day work.
    Then after I had got to grips with it I was spurred on to have another go at the blind hemming machine. It took a few goes, but by 5pm I had managed to sort out how it worked and actually use it on a customers pair of trousers. Obviously we will need to get up to speed to use them regularly but if I can master it, then it will reduce my time on Curtains especially by a good 30-40 minutes I would expect!
    That really will help in the long run. So I only did about £20 worth of actual work but a day of learning.
    Santander sent me a cheque for 1p after I closed my account the other day.
    Must have cost more than that to print a cheque and post it!!

BF was talking about having a long weekend in Rome when Dgd next goes to her Mum, but now he is talking about going back to Spain to his friends apartment. Not quite what I had had in mind, but I suppose it was cheaper.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 10th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning.
    The plan for today has changed. As it usually does.
    Mum needs food shopping done, so I am going to collect her at 11am so we can both shop at Aldi.
    I have to go back to school as Dgd has swimming and we had forgotten.
    I am meeting DS for lunch and will get his measurements for the waistcoat and check he will be able to wear one at work.
    So I have an hour now to get my housework done so I better get moving.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jan 18, 6:50 AM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I do like a clean bed!
    Nothing more inviting than getting into bed with fresh sheets etc!
    BF has excelled himself, it has only taken him 5 days to decide on a holiday destination and the accommodation for a little holiday for the two of us, no kids, and it!!!8217;s only a month away!
    So I need a few miracles and a few favours pulled in.
    What was a city break to Rome has changed into a 5 days in Mallorca though!
    I was 20 minutes late for Mum, as I was on the telephone to the Housing to arrange to up my DD until the balance is cleared, from the Housing Benefits mess earlier last year.
    I am not going to be able to clear it immediately, but I will strive to do it a bit faster as the year moves on.
    Mum is always thrilled at how cheap Aldi is, after normal shopping was Waitrose for her when Dad was alive.
    DS looked tired and was quite quiet, but he ate quite well!
    The place we first went too was not doing food so we went to a restaurant nearby, it was a bit more expensive, but Mum insisted on paying , so after we had finished the meal, we went back to the pub for another drink.
    I was home and able to collect dgd from school.
    I am awake early today as she has a school breakfast club starting at 8am today. It means that I have had to let down the Mum I give a lift too, as I am not hanging around till 8.45
    I will just go to work early, get the heating on, and start on two sets of curtains I have to shorten that will need to be in the top floor workroom.
    I only have my daughter there until 2.30pm so anything that takes me upstairs to the top needs to be done while she does the Shop.
    My Aldi Shop came in just under £23 but £6.99 of that was a silicone oven mit, for BF. I noticed when cooking at his his were thin and not very protective anymore.
    So he can have them for his birthday. And I need to finish the record bag I am making for him.
    Time to wake Dgd- this will be fun as she was still awake at 10.30 despite sending her to bed at 8.30 !
    Every morning has been a battle since they returned to school.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Reading back, I see that Santander have sent you a cheque for 1p!!

Careful now, don't let it go to your head.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Reading back, I see that Santander have sent you a cheque for 1p!!

Careful now, don't let it go to your head.
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    I may just keep it for posterity!
    My bank charge for paying cheques etc in so I can’t see me banking it somehow!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jan 18, 7:09 AM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Aiming for a making day today.
    Customers cushions, curtains and yoga mats!
    Always like a challenge.
    I have until Biggest finishes at 2.30 to prepare what I can in the top workshop ( and get it tidy again ready for tomorrow!!!8217;s lessons)
    And somewhere between now and the end of tomorrow I need to make the record bag for BF!!!8217;s Birthday.
    I think I will have to see if I can get the panels embroidered before I go any further with it.
    Juggling funds at the moment, it!!!8217;s all quite stressful, but trying to not panic as work will come in.
    Accounts filed with HMRC so have £214 bill for NI and £180 for the accountant.
    Still nearly £1,000 overdrawn in the business account and only £895 in the Savings Account for the business. So looks like I will be emptying that to pay the bills.
    At least I have it.

Really need to get the lessons planned and finish putting them on the Website and printed on leaflets, and posted via email to the few customers addresses I have.

Need to get lessons exposure!!
    That!!!8217;s a must!
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 7,779 Posts
    • 11,369 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Not for the first time, I so wish your shop was in my local town
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Not for the first time, I so wish your shop was in my local town
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Thankyou.
    I will have to start training people and expand!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,486 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope your day went ok.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The cushions and yoga mats done. But I have had to order fabric for the curtains linings. Did a zip in a jacket, and a couple of small repairs. Stayed until 5.30 working on BFs bag, but didn!!!8217;t get it finished.
    I was teaching all day today, and so no actual sewing done for me.
    Biggest had Dgd so after work I went to collect her, and then had a cuppa with them, and we booked the week in a caravan park at Easter, down in Kent, so that we can all attend DGS5s Christening.
    We decided to book an 8 birth caravan for a week, I did it through quidco so should get 1.5% cash back eventually too. Although I totally misplaced an offer for a discount that I had received in the last few weeks!
    I decided to just pay for it with the emergency fund and then Biggest is going to pay me their half over the next few paydays.
    We will take our own food etc so that we keep spending down to a minimum. But I will have another push at selling off Patterns etc next month. January is not the best time though as everyone I know are usually saving pennies etc after Christmas.
    I will finish BFs bag in the morning as he is not coming here tonight and there is no room for us at his!
    Found out today that his daughter has a BF and been seeing him since at least April, (my BF doesn!!!8217;t know that she has one, let alone anything about him. But she is friends with my daughter on Facebook and of course it!!!8217;s available on there for all to see) and some of the times we have had her daughter or my BF has, she has been away with this lad and his family!
    I find it very odd that she hasn!!!8217;t mentioned him to her Dad, or that she!!!8217;s going away on holidays with him. My BF thinks she!!!8217;s staying at work and out with the girls!!!
    I could never be that devious even if it!!!8217;s only by omission.

Anyway, he is there and I am here.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I didn!!!8217;t get up until 10am!!
    Then I did some washing, hung up wet stuff, did the dishes, and then got to work on the bag.
    It!!!8217;s taken me several hours to do. I am not sure it!!!8217;s very good really, but I cannot change it now. It!!!8217;s his Birthday tomorrow. I said that I would go over this afternoon and deliver his presents, but he did say that I didn!!!8217;t have too, and he could wait for presents, but I really should be making the effort. It!!!8217;s too easy to grab the opportunity to stay home and work on other things, or even just chill or dream.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,486 Thanks
    beanielou
    Vera for me too.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Not looking forward to the drop in temperatures again. Heating bills at work are already going through the roof.
    Paid the accountant, need to pay the HMRC then I will be up to date with all debts except the overdraft. I am slightly worried about the lack of funds in the account at the moment. I am hoping that I will have plenty of work coming in this week.
    It would be great if I can have a full diary!

I am hoping that I will get some interest in the lessons as people always asking About them. It would be good to get them back up and running.

I did pop to see BF with his birthday presents once I had finished making one this afternoon, but he decided not to open them as it!!!8217;s not his birthday until tomorrow. Bit frustrating as I would have liked to see if he really liked it or not.
    I asked him if he wanted to come to dinner tomorrow but he replied with maybe. Sometimes I really feel as if he is on another planet than me.
    Mind you Dgd was happy we didn!!!8217;t stay very long.
    Good job I love him.
    Right so where are we going forward into tomorrow?
    Looking for the positive I don!!!8217;t have the drive from Oxford in the morning.
    I only have the tax to pay.
    All staff are due in so we should get through the work load fairly quickly.
    I only need to print the lessons sheets out.
    The washing is hanging up in the bathroom and is nearly all dry now.
    I am going to bed now, and will dream of full workshop and ringing tills! Night xx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Jan 18, 7:00 AM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well I went to bed at 12.15 in the end, as I was studying!
    Time flies when your having fun! Well not exactly fun, but I was engrossed in it so I didn!!!8217;t notice the time.
    I need to learn how to improve my Social Media, how to add content to my website and how to monetise my products on line.
    Quite a tall order!
    But I will find a way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Going to run out of work tomorrow unless some zips arrive overnight!
    Biggest spent all day updating my lessons etc on Facebook for me. Creating Events apparently.
    I have had one email enquiry already fingers crossed
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jan 18, 7:20 AM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Bf did come for dinner and thanked me for his gifts. He did ask me what gave me the idea to make the record bag out of jeans and I said that it was just fabric that I had. I didn!!!8217;t have a pattern or anything. I forgot to take pictures so I will try to remember to snap some when I next get to go to his. It won!!!8217;t be this weekend.
    I seem to have blown the Food budget for the month already as I forgot about Muscle foods order. So I am going to have to be very careful and adjust the budget for next month. Perhaps I need to reserect the No Spends challenge for February. ( Except I have 5 days away in halfterm). So I need to allocate funds for that.
    I may cancel future muscle food orders because there are always offers and I really don!!!8217;t need so much meat meals.
    I am putting on weight and I don!!!8217;t like it.
    Trying to eat carefully this last week or so and I seem to have put 5lb on!!!
    I have never been this heavy even when I was pregnant with the twins!

So Porridge for Breakfast
    Cuppa Soup and ryvita for lunch
    Salad for tea tonight!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I have been contacted about making a memory quilt out of children!!!8217;s clothes. I have done cushions but never quilts so I have no idea how to price one, so I googled it. Came up with a company that do then at £545-£650!! The thought of it scares me! Not the actual making but the cost of it. Would my work actually be worth that kind of money?
    Perhaps I should see about making one from our stash of clothes etc and see how long it takes me (in my own time obviously)
    I am going to do a little more research before I reply.
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 16th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    dreaming
    I have been contacted about making a memory quilt out of children’s clothes. I have done cushions but never quilts so I have no idea how to price one, so I googled it. Came up with a company that do then at £545-£650!! The thought of it scares me! Not the actual making but the cost of it. Would my work actually be worth that kind of money?
    Perhaps I should see about making one from our stash of clothes etc and see how long it takes me (in my own time obviously)
    I am going to do a little more research before I reply.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    I have always loved quilts but was horrified at the price of them (as you say several hundreds of pounds), but then I started making them and realised the amount of work that goes into them. Even fairly basic squares take a while to cut accurately (unless you have an Accuquilt or similar). Then sewing them together, backing and wadding into a quilt, then quilting and binding. Not to mention that the material may have to be washed and ironed first, then pressing the quilt as you go along. Also, unless you have a long arm quilter, or a sewing machine with a large "throat", the quilt will need quite a bit of manhandling to sew the quilting lines, and with the problems I know you have with your hands I would say it would be quite difficult. So now I can see where a lot of the cost of quilts come from, even if the initial material pieces are "free". Easily at least a couple of days solid work, and as most tradespeople I know charge around £100 per day then you are already at £200-300. Not totally sure it is that cost-effective, and many people would think it should be a lot cheaper if they are supplying the fabric, so may be a bit sniffy at that sort of cost.
    I'm not a professional sewer by the way, but thought I would give you my thoughts as both a past wannabe quilt buyer, and now a (very) amateur quilt maker.
    I have followed you for a while now and live in Northampton. When the weather is better I may well drive over to see your shop. I do admire your grit and determination.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I have always loved quilts but was horrified at the price of them (as you say several hundreds of pounds), but then I started making them and realised the amount of work that goes into them. Even fairly basic squares take a while to cut accurately (unless you have an Accuquilt or similar). Then sewing them together, backing and wadding into a quilt, then quilting and binding. Not to mention that the material may have to be washed and ironed first, then pressing the quilt as you go along. Also, unless you have a long arm quilter, or a sewing machine with a large "throat", the quilt will need quite a bit of manhandling to sew the quilting lines, and with the problems I know you have with your hands I would say it would be quite difficult. So now I can see where a lot of the cost of quilts come from, even if the initial material pieces are "free". Easily at least a couple of days solid work, and as most tradespeople I know charge around £100 per day then you are already at £200-300. Not totally sure it is that cost-effective, and many people would think it should be a lot cheaper if they are supplying the fabric, so may be a bit sniffy at that sort of cost.
    I'm not a professional sewer by the way, but thought I would give you my thoughts as both a past wannabe quilt buyer, and now a (very) amateur quilt maker.
    I have followed you for a while now and live in Northampton. When the weather is better I may well drive over to see your shop. I do admire your grit and determination.
    Originally posted by dreaming
    Oo Thankyou for that. Let me know if you plan to come over, and it would be lovely to meet another MSE’r.
    Over the years I have met a few people, although I don’t get much chance to catch up with them often.
    I sometimes wonder how I can find a way to stabilise the business so that it is more viable and profitable.
    The problem is that I am not consistent with my timings and coatings. One day I can shorten a pair of jeans in 7 minutes and another it takes me 20! My hands dictate along with where I am mentally!
    I would love to do more quilting, Applique and making, but I cannot afford to do it during opening hours and I am too frazzled to do it at home!
    Although I think that I will have to pass up this particular request I think I will attempt to make the grandchildren’s items into quilts to see how I do.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 47,859 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Silent Witness watched.
    Time for bed.
    Finally warmed up! Hate to know what the fuel bill will be like.
    Tomorrow is Mums day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,032Users online

Martin's Twitter