Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,950Posts
    • 49,217Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 23
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The christening has been cancelled as one of the other members of the family down south is poorly. So above my daughter (Twin1 's Head, they decide to cancel it. So 8 of us going down there just for the holidays now. Twin1 and Dgd are both very upset. I am not thrilled as I would not have chosen to have the holiday in a caravan in the uk if we hadn't been going for the christening. I would have waited for the warmer months, actually I would have been going to Portugal instead.
    But there it is. I just hope the dress, cardigan and shoes will still fit when they decide when they are going to do it instead.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 31st Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    • 5,831 Posts
    • 63,375 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh Mooloo, that is a shame! Could you return the dress and cardi?
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Apr 18, 9:09 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Oh Mooloo, that is a shame! Could you return the dress and cardi?
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    I removed and threw away all the labels etc when they fitted.!
    The shoes and cardigan will come in handy. A white dress less so! But we will see, I suppose that we could always eBay it.

I am more annoyed that Twin1 is bullied around and over ruled etc or dismissed about her feelings by her BFs sister. A woman who I do not like, even though I never met her. She's the one who does Social work and told them they should take Dgd back from me all those years ago. Was it 4 years something like that anyway. It started a huge divide between us at the time.
    She is apparently throwing hissy fits because Twin1 wanted to go ahead this weekend, but apparently not allowed as her son would miss out and it was her idea to do the christening. Childish!
    So we all have to dance to her tune.
    I am trying not to feel childish and bitter myself! Although I am getting a holiday still, and will be spending time with Biggest and the children, it is not really how I would have chosen to spend my money, as Dgd and I would normally spend Easter holidays in Portugal, and it would have cost me roughly the same as I have spent on this caravan. But now we cannot afford to do both. I can't add to go to Portugal this year now, unless I find a way to liquidise my stock and get the business cash flow stimulated.
    I will calm down soon enough. But for the moment I too few like stamping my foot and having a hissy fit. But of course I cannot do that.
    I just hope that I will be able to find the time and the money to get to the next attempt! I will need to save like the clappers all over again as I am down to the last £360 savings for the spending this week. That won't last long on a uk holiday with 7 of us. Probably only just pay for the Sunday Dinner when we meet up and become 10!
    Oh well!!

And breathe. Today is catching up with jobs, packing and getting ready for leaving tomorrow. We will make the best of it, and we will have a great time and all will be well in the end.
    And I will start to make my savings pot grow by sewing more little purses etc and turn my scraps into cash.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 1st Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    I would not be taking them out for a meal. Surely they would understand if you couldn't afford it. Could you not meet in a pub for a drink or invite them to the caravan to meet up?
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I would not be taking them out for a meal. Surely they would understand if you couldn't afford it. Could you not meet in a pub for a drink or invite them to the caravan to meet up?
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    Plan on getting them to visit the caravan site on Thursday when we are all there. We can chat about Sunday from there and see what we collectively come up with.

I am doing the washing now. So I don't have that to come home too. I still need to sort out our clothes but I am going to have a cuppa before my next move. I have the basic dry goods, tins and packets in. The shampoo etc all ready.
    My Embroidery machine etc in (for fun not for work).
    Monopoly and snap for the kids, and a few dvds. Just in case.
    Dgd is happy playing Minecraft and admits to eating enough chocolate for now! So I am going to revisit my budget etc before I go any further and I will then know exactly what I have available to spend etc.
    A few years ago I did a savings challenge to make my Tunisia holiday cash neutral, I think I need to implement the same tactics. The little makes etc can raise my pocket money.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 1st Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    I was trying to sort of point out that if they had to pay for themselves then would they all want to eat out in a pub. (They might think its your treat and that you are paying). (and unless you want to splash out , you shouldn't feel like you have to)
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Apr 18, 3:44 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Just had an unexpected visitor, dgds old child care, and my friends daughter is back from Uni and came baring Easter Eggs. It was lovely to see her, been a long time, so not jetting off to Portugal was worth it then!

The third load of washing is on. The whites are on the radiator, the dark reds etc are hanging on the shower rail.
    We have some clothes out ready on the bed for packing, but have stopped for a chicken roast dinner. I cheated and bought a ready cooked chicken though.
    Pudding? Probably chocolate!
    I think I will do some more little purses and bags for an hour while the washing goes round.

I know that Twin1 can't afford a pub lunch, but I am sure that Biggest and her BF will chip in if we do have one. But if not we can as you say, entertain in the caravan!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 2nd Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So, today is the first day of our holiday. I am in no rush. Unfortunately I don't feel very excited either. I will have to snap out of my feelings of melancholy. The rain is not helping me. I know that I should be dashing around and packing up my car by now. Instead I am still sitting in bed. I have had two cups of tea. I have read my emails, and I have even read my horescope and Tarot readings. Procrastinating definitely!
    I suppose that I will find the mojo eventually.
    A whole week with out an agenda now.
    Target for today is to arrive safely in Kent by 4pm when we can book in to our caravan, our home from home for the next week. Dgd and I will be sharing a twin room as Biggest and her husband will have the double.
    So that's most of my privacy gone for the duration.
    Must remember to pack my swimming costume and some spare towels as I don't see us getting them dry very easily.
    9.30 I better make that move.
    Mojo come find me please!!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 2nd Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 5,831 Posts
    • 63,375 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Mooloo i believe it's due to get drier after today. Hopefully it will all turn out better than you expect x
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning from soggy Kent. Internet is on my data, as WiFi here is not working. Probably due to all the rain. One downside is that there are no paths around the caravans so it's a mud bath outside of the door. Twin1 and her partner came with dgs4 to visit for an hour yesterday and to apologise for his sister's behaviour. Talk is now of doing the Christening in October half term but I have warned them that it depends on when all these new babies arrive.
    Twin2 must have a death wish, as she thinks she's pregnant again. So soon after the miscarriage I am worried for her. Is it going to be a phantom pregnancy? Is she going to be disappointed? If she goes full term, where will she live? How will she cope? Will he stand by her? His mother is sending obscenities across the pond and calling my daughter nasty names, but it takes two to be so stupid. His excuse is he doesn't like using rubbers! Well he should expect mistakes then!
    Head/brick wall comes to mind!!
    The caravan is quite comfortable. Little chilly this morning before I put the heating on.
    Biggest and her family join us today.
    DS has just asked to borrow £20 for petrol. I only just mustered it up. Things are quite tight, and will be for quite a while until I get the shop finances sorted out.
    I got to have a go with my embroidery machine in the afternoon yesterday, while Dgd used up most of my data on her games etc!
    She will have to amuse herself with other things today. Before the rest of the family arrive. Another swimming session probably.
    I'm rather achey today, combination of different bed, sitting on uncomfortable chairs too long, and possibly swimming yesterday afternoon.
    The sun is trying to shine now. Bonus.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 4th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Oh for a simple life!
    Biggest has had her scan, only one baby, due in October.
    DS's ex GF has been messaging me bemoaning that DS is not helping her with a Healthy visitor visit today, and that she's going to end up with Social Workers and visitor orders etc for him with the children. Basically she is scaring me silly! I can't do anything about it from here.
    Why can't I have a normal life?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 56,837 Posts
    • 231,442 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh dear.
    It just keeps coming.
    No idea what to say.
    As you say nothing that you can do from afar.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The rest of the family arrived safe and sound around tea time. The van is now full. I have children all around me, 2,6,8, and 10. The girls have decided to enter the talent competition dancing etc. One does gymnastics.
    It's looking a bit damp and dreary outside today. We were lucky to have sun most of the day yesterday. Twin1 and her family are coming back to visit again today. They came for a little bit yesterday and took Dgd swimming.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning from a chilly Kent. The sun is out but it's very cold. We went off camp yesterday to buy Wellies and trainers for dgd and Wellies for myself, and we also bought slippers as my feet are cold in the morning. The kids entered the talent competition last night. Well two of them. They didn't win, but they were very brave I think for 6 and 8 year olds to preform in front of the room full of people on their own. Two girls playing a violin won.
    We're planning on going to see the white cliffs today. My money is divided into days so I don't overspend, except for the shoes yesterday.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    We were lucky to have a good day weather wise yesterday, and walked the Cliffs from the visitors centre to the lighthouse and back. Even DGS4 walked the majority of the way. I didn't like some of the path being so close to the edge. I really struggle with heights, but we did it. We have caught the sun on our faces and all have a rosy glow this morning.
    I did the kids dinner while Biggest and her hubby went to Bingo and sat with them when they went out for a meal.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 7th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 5,831 Posts
    • 63,375 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Well done for braving the cliff path Mooloo! The view is amazing though, but I expect you were too busy making sure no children fell over the edge to notice it much!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well done for braving the cliff path Mooloo! The view is amazing though, but I expect you were too busy making sure no children fell over the edge to notice it much!
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    I was rather stressed when any were going anywhere near an edge. A couple of hairy moments! I would not like to do that again.
    I have enough heart in mouth moments at the swing park to be honest.
    I will be glad to get home all in one piece.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 56,837 Posts
    • 231,442 Thanks
    beanielou
    i love lighthouses
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    We had a lazy day around the campsite yesterday. The kids did the club in the morning making cake decorating, and spent a lot of time at the park.
    In the evening it was Madness and mayhem games etc in the clubhouse so we all had a late night.
    Today we are meeting Twin1, her Baf and his parents for lunch. I am not looking forward to this at all, but I will have to try and be polite etc. I am just glad his awful sister is not coming. I am not sure if I could remain polite to her.
    Twin2 sent me a strange Paypal link, about donations for her baby equipment.! She hasn't wasted anytime. I wish she would wait until she knows if this pregnancy is viable after already having a miscarriage recently. I also worry that she is not going to be able to keep it. I am trying not to worry and just leave it but with their history I am not finding it easy to.
    Home tomorrow! So we will have to pack up as much as we can today.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Apr 18, 8:37 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 49,217 Thanks
    Mooloo
    We had our meal at a nearby brewers gayer. Twin1 s BF was quite verbal about our choice of venue compared to a Weatherspoon. I had to bite my tongue. Biggest had booked after googling what was nearby. After he had mentioned it several times she politely said, to feel free to book the table themselves next time.
    The children were well behaved on the whole although dgs5 didn't eat well, and threw a wobbly when he didn't get to play with toys through dinner. It's obviously not a rule with them. The parents were pleasant enough.
    After lunch we went to the park and then swimming. After that we were too tired to go out. Had sandwich's and stayed in the van. I went to bed with the kids. Well at the same time.
    The different bed, different exercises etc means my back is bad today.
    We're packing up now, ready to go home, but the kids are going to go swimming before we actually leave.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

2,205Users online

Martin's Twitter