Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,714Posts
    • 47,515Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 15
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 47,515 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Sorry to hear about the problems with DS, Mooloo - and here's a suggestion that could well be an absolute non-starter - but what about you employing DS in the shop? You've said that Biggest is going to be limited in what she can do with the pregnancy and everything else - but could DS fill the role? Moving stuff around, dealing with customers etc - you could even see if he has an aptitude for sewing (think of all the tailors and big designers!) .

Just throwing you a suggestion xxxxx
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    I am going to employ seamstresses first because of my hands, and free me up to do Biggests side of things. I doubt DS would want to work there.
    I would like to see him sorted but I don't think I could work with him. I want to bash his and his ex gf heads together sometimes!
    He just doesn't listen and both biggest and I are fed up of trying to help him.
    I would have employed him if I was still running a pub, but only if I didn't have to work every day with him.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 12th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 25,927 Thanks
    thorsoak
    I am going to employ seamstresses first because of my hands, and free me up to do Biggests side of things. I doubt DS would want to work there.
    I would like to see him sorted but I don't think I could work with him. I want to bash his and his ex gf heads together sometimes!
    He just doesn't listen and both biggest and I are fed up of trying to help him.
    I would have employed him if I was still running a pub, but only if I didn't have to work every day with him.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Oh dear :-( If you, as his mum, can see his faults and know that he would drive you mad (as well as possibly destroying your mother/son relationship) it appears that DS really has to pull up his socks and work on his attitude to work/boss and other employees :-( I do understand - have always said that much as I love my children, I couldn't work with two of them - if I didn't drive them mad, they would drive me mad! Fortunately,they've both chosen careers where they are successful.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 54,128 Posts
    • 214,719 Thanks
    beanielou
    225 quid in a month in bank charges!!
    I feel a complaint coming on!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 47,515 Thanks
    Mooloo
    225 quid in a month in bank charges!!
    I feel a complaint coming on!!
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I will be trying to get to the bottom of this and will set the wheels in motion to get the bank to be more helpful with him, and see exactly how we can stop these charges. I will have to try to get DS to understand that he cannot spend what he does not have as these are the consequences.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Mar 18, 7:20 AM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 47,515 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Biggest is in need of iron tablets. Definitely in need of rest, and I am not the only person who thinks she could be expecting twins. Her scan is the Wednesday after Easter. So we will know then. That is the day they come to join us in Kent.
    The current seamstress has just volunteered to keep the Shop open when we go away, so I am just waiting to see if the Saturday girls are going to be free, well I have asked. If they can be able to help then I won't have to shut the shop, and sewing will get done. Much better than closing.
    The first seamstress I was going to trial yesterday cancelled. The second is due in today.
    I will set her up on my desk and I will take over Biggests as she has been told to rest today!
    My hands hurt all the time now. In the night I was up spraying deep heat on them.
    I will be going back to the doctor tomorrow if I can get an appointment.
    For now I will just have to soldier on.
    I better get out of bed and get Dgd ready for school.
    Wonder what her first words will be this morning? Headache, tummy ache, or poorly knee/leg/foot? Or something along those lines!!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 47,515 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Tummy ache and cold. That's today's first complaint.
    I have mixed feelings to be honest. I feel it's Peter and the Wolf, but then I feel guilty that I am not feeling very sympathetic either.
    I will once again aim to take her to the doctor tomorrow as I will not be able to get her there today.
    I might be more sympathetic if she didn't keep grazing after she comes home from school.
    Last night she said her tummy ache was gone. So I just don't believe her anymore
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Mar 18, 9:00 AM
    • 5,444 Posts
    • 58,253 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Mooloo I do hope you and the doc between you can get DGD "sorted". I know she does genuinely get ill a lot, but there must be a reason why she is so reluctant to go to school (though perhaps atm she is having problems hearing the teacher.) Thinking of you xx
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 13th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 5,796 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    could you have more healthy food in the house? have sweets and crisps just as a treat?
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 45,479 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Did the school reply to your concerns about the boy that dgd was upset to see?
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Mar 18, 5:36 PM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 47,515 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Did the school reply to your concerns about the boy that dgd was upset to see?
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    They said that they would keep an eye, but that they were told to keep away from each other. Right that will work with a bully!
    I don't have many crisps in. Usually just the six packet for packed lunches. But I had brought a small packet of biscuits and said she could have two. While I was in the bath she went back and finished all 9!! So there will be no more biscuits.
    I had chocolates for Mother's Day. She managed to eat a few of them once I had opened them. I despair at times.

I have a lot going on yet again, and have still got twin2 struggling on the verge of homelessness as well as DS.
    Disfunctional family is what I have, no matter how hard I have tried.
    I will get carrots and cucumbers sticks in a Tupperware when I shop tomorrow. So if she wants to munch then that will be her option and I will not buy crisps or similar tomorrow. When the ones we have left are gone that will be it.

At work today the new lady started.
    She is very nice, but too slow. I would like to think that it is only first day and getting to know the machine etc but I think I may be disappointed. I have said that I will see how she gets on next week before I decide.
    She definitely is not going to be able to get £10 an hour unless she is faster. It took her an hour to see 4 badges on that were charged at £4.
    And the next job took her more than an hour. Which I did not time as I was really busy but I will have made a loss today .

I am hoping that Thursdays lady will be better.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 47,515 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Oh my!
    DS is in fantasy land. He wants me to help him with a business plan, and he thinks he can get a pub of his own. This is interesting! He cannot manage his money, he will struggle to do the business side of a pub. And how will he fund such a project?
    He is about to land in middle earth with a bump!

Biggest is really struggling with her health, and it doesn't look good for her pregnancy. I have my fingers crossed for her that the doctor will find out what is making her so poorly with her blood results soon.
    Twin2 is wanting help to get the housing to move her and doesn't understand that her housing benefits will only pay for room rate and not self contained flats. Or the help with deposits and estate agents fees which are rediculous.
    Twin1 is still hoping that they can get a place and move out of the in laws but as they are not overcrowded it's just not going to happen.
    Dgd is going to be a battle royal to get her to school etc and to get the doctors to really see through the problems. School didn't send her home early or anything so it's hard to know what is real or not.
    My Mum is now making her plans for the summer in France.
    BF is just being strange.
    Work is still coming in, and I am at least getting somewhere with it. However I have a lot of things that still need working on if I am going to move forward with it. I need to apply myself to the paperwork etc and I need to do a stock take by the end of the month.
    Busy busy time ahead.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 14th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 45,479 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I personally wouldn't find the schools response acceptable, dgd not wanting to go to school is impacting on your morning routine.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    Slinky
    Oh good god no, the pub trade is a fantastic way to lose money.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    • 5,444 Posts
    • 58,253 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Mmm, telling them to keep out of each others' way certainly didn't help when my DGS was being bullied.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 54,128 Posts
    • 214,719 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry things are so tough at the moment.
    I really dont know how you do it.
    Well I know you have too.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 14th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 45,479 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    My thoughts exactly Ivyleaf, one of my DD's was bullied, the school told her to stay away from the bully, difficult when she had to sit next to him in class.
    I did eventually resolve the situation but found the school to be little help.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • grey_lady
    • By grey_lady 14th Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    grey_lady
    being bullied would put most kids off wanting to go to school in the morning and probably explain the feeling poorly / tummy ache excuses - if she's that unhappy it probably explains the comfort eating as well, hope that the school and or CAMHS can resolve.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 47,515 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I spent two hours sorting through books and diaries etc in boxes under my bed. Very very dusty under the bed. I had to admit as it was so dusty that I don't think I have taken those boxes etc out in about 7 years!!!
    I was actually waiting for DS who didn't turn up. Took Mum out to the garden centre, and we had lunch and sat chatting for quite a while. The restaurant was full of elderly ladies lunching.
    I just got back in time for dgd. We were home about 30 minutes when DS asked me to have the boys for an hour while he went to work and before their Mum came back. So we went out again.
    We were seconds behind what looked like a bad accident with a car in the bushes facing the wrong way, with cars stopping and people running to the car. I hope that the people in it were ok. I think the car would be a rightoff. Dgd asked me if I would stop. I told her that there were enough people doing that, but if we had been first on the scene then yes indeed I would have stopped. It was too dark on our return two odd hours later to see anything so I hope that it was cleared up Fairly quickly and the occupants of the car were not too bad.
    The. Abu was very good. The toddler was a little rough, but accepted us there. The mother did try to talk to me about DS and his plans, and that they were thinking about trying again but she admitted she had been a nightmare before DS had left her. I told her that it was up to them, but they should be trying to help each other not destroy each other for the boys sake. I declined tea, as Dgd and I needed to come home for our tea and BF was coming over. Well he did come over, but I am not sure exactly why, because he hardly spoke, and was a stone wall when I tryied to have a cuddle.
    He is apparently going out to dinner with work today and so I am not going to have to cook for him. He wasn't sure if he was going to come home here before he went out, or go from work? Not sure why he even bothered to run that bit of information past me as I wasn't required to give an answer.
    Wondering why I am still bothering?
    Chased twin2's housing and also talked to Adult safety team about her as I am worried about her situation.
    She is vulnerable after all.

Time to face the day. Not expecting Biggest in as she was sick yesterday and struggling through the day.
    Second seamstress is in for a trial today. Let's hope that she is better than the last one.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 15th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    • 5,444 Posts
    • 58,253 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I hope the new seamstress is ok.

So sorry to hear Biggest is so poorly
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 9,714 Posts
    • 47,515 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Ask no questions, tell no lies!
    What a day is all I can say.
    Tell you tomorrow cos I am too wound up today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

874Posts Today

6,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin