Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,707Posts
    • 47,478Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE!!!8217;ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 14
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 7th Mar 18, 5:30 AM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 24,689 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Dgd is complaining about not sleeping well and I have just talked to her about both of us needing to change what we eat and how we eat it.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Also using electronic equipment before bed can cause sleep issues - I know DGD likes her tablet but when does she stop[ using it comapred to her bed time?
    I think 'experts' recommend stopping use of electronics an hour before you want to go to sleep.

I really notice the difference if I have my tablet on while in bed, before I know it the time has flown and its midnight even though I was tired at 9 and thought I would just check something on the tablet. The light keeps you awake.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 34 for April
    NSD - 0/15
    (up to 2/4/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 7th Mar 18, 7:47 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    A travel mug or flask for work?
    or use cup a soup or the sachet of pasta that you make in a mug?
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 7th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 47,478 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Today I was with my wonderful Mum. Haven't been to see her the last few weeks although we had lunch with my brother when he was here. Speaking on Skype is good, but to spend time with her is better.
    We did B & M, bought some basics, then went to Aldi.
    After the food shop we had lunch at the pub my son works in. He wasn't working but did come down and see us and brought the baby for a cuddle. Only 2nd time I have seen him. So cute.

Tomorrow I am interviewing a seamstress and I have a second one to see in a few days. We are trying to get someone to be able to do the work rather than me doing it all. Ready for Biggest to step back and for me to do the shop floor etc instead.
    I enjoy interacting with the Shop customers and doing the teaching.

My next stage is to reserrect the Blogging.
    Obviously I still plan to keep this thread going but I want to be able to blog about the sewing and try to earn extra income from it eventually.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 7th Mar 18, 10:39 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Look on your local facebook buying/selling page for a microwave.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I would never buy a second hand microwave for safety reasons.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 54,023 Posts
    • 214,052 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would never buy a second hand microwave for safety reasons.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    On ours there are sometimes very good makes & brand new.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 54,023 Posts
    • 214,052 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you saw your lovely mum

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 47,478 Thanks
    Mooloo
    You know it's one of those days when you have worked hard yet nothing was finished. Other people's agendas get in the way. Little things go wrong and it takes time to re set, etc.
    I am going home.
    The shop can wait until tomorrow for me to the next work.
    I am tired, hands ache, sore throat.
    So Home, tea, soak in bath.
    Food.
    Start again if I have energy. Stop if I don't.
    Maybe I will Sew earlier in the morning as Bf gets up at 6am so I could do an hour and a half on Trousers before I get my Dgd up for school.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 54,023 Posts
    • 214,052 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope tomorrow is a better day.

***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 9th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 47,478 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Things are just not meant to be simple for me!
    My hands hurt too much last night to do the work I took Home, and I planned to do a little before work this morning.
    But the only thing I managed was to unpick a few hems. Biggest is unwell and she had a fainting episode and fell just before 7am, hitting her face. Etc so I was sidetracked with her messages etc and getting her to get her husband home to do the kids.
    So when I did get to work I needed to do the banking before I opened up. Customers have been a steady stream of them since before I even put the sign up.
    Fittings at 10am meant I had to make sure the area had space etc and was cleared of loose threads etc and then after I had a lull in the customers downstairs I started to do an important evening dress only for the machine I was using to snarl. That took me an hour to unpick. Swapped machines. Did a test on spare fabric all good. Started on the hem, and it chewed up 1/2cm.
    I wanted to cry. But what is the point? I was supposed to be doing jobs upstairs today while Biggest worked, and they must be done before Monday. So I will have to work after closing time on them.
    This dress needs to be finished by tonight.
    So, stop. Breathe. Tea, lunch. Then start again.
    I have got this, honestly!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 57,956 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh Mooloo what a horrid day. So sorry about the dress. Sounds as if it might be a particularly difficult fabric?

I hope Biggest is feeling better and that her face isn't too sore.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 10th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 47,478 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Ok, so I am sitting in the car, eating some fruit bread before I walk up the hill to the shop. Saturday girl is going to be opening up as I just took Dgd to Biggests for the day.
    Biggest is unwell. The Doctors think she has a virus. They have done bloods to see if everything else is ok with the baby. Not ruling out the possibility of twins considering her size and family history.
    She has bruising coming out across her forehead and feels rubbish. I don't expect her back at work any time soon.
    The dress yesterday was a nightmare. Three different machines, the fabric wasa nightmare. But it is done. I was at work until 6.25 last night!
    Then home to cook dinner and collapse in a heap on the sofa for the rest of the day.
    I was busy in the shop so not much was achieved.
    Luckily this morning I don't have any sewing classes until 1pm
    The BF is not coming here, and we can't go there because his daughter is home, and he wants to help the baby do her mummy breakfast tomorrow.
    Today he is planning to shop for her. Lucky lady.
    So tonight my friend and I might take the kids to the local pub for tea.
    Tomorrow I am taking my Mum to lunch at my sons pub. ( well the one he works in)
    Right time to face the day.
    I am going to get there. I am.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Mar 18, 7:41 AM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 47,478 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The day went so fast.
    Managed to finish the blinds before the lunchtime class. Two girls booked in, and we made lavender filled hearts for Mother's Day.
    After the shop closed I stayed to hand Sew a set of curtains hems.
    At 4 I left to go and collect Dgd. Had a cuppa with family before coming home. Our evening plans changed, my friend cancelled so Dgd cheered up with a McD and I had leftovers from the night before.
    I watched mindless tv before bed.
    This morning I woke earlier to get some sewing done before Mother's Day duty kicks in at Lunchtime.
    This year I have had a card in the post from twin1, and a goody bag of things from Biggest. Dgd has made me a card at school and yesterday decorated a pot plant while with Biggest. So I have a lovely purple pansy now. I had to smile as her things say "happy Moo's Day!" Love it x
    Porridge and then sewing time.
    Hope everyone has a great family day, and if you are without family, that you take time to just enjoy the world around you xx
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 11th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all

Had a surprise this morning. DS arrived at 8.30 to take us out for breakfast and we were still in bed. To be fair he hadn't let us know.

So we leapt out of bed, showered and dressed while DS telephoned to Bill's in Park St. He made a reservation for 9.30 We had a lovely breakfast. OH had a full breakfast and DS and I had buttermilk pancakes with syrup, strawberries, blueberries and banana, A free surprise glass of prosecco for each mother adorned with a half strawberry completed the treat.

I did some housework this morning in a bit of a blur lol ! DD gave me a silver chain for my birthday pendant I bought with my vouchers. DGS made me a Mother's Day card with loads of glitter.

I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.
    Gers I am glad DM had a lovely birthday.
    Thinking of Holly H. Nelski add my name and best wishes to hre card if it's not too late. Thanks.

Hugs and spoons all round.

Gintot
    Last edited by Gintotmelinda; 11-03-2018 at 2:49 PM.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 11th Mar 18, 2:51 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Whoops sorry Mooloo wrong thread. Don't know how to delete this post. Sorry.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 47,478 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Whoops sorry Mooloo wrong thread. Don't know how to delete this post. Sorry.

Gintot
    Originally posted by Gintotmelinda
    That's fine, nice to know that you had a good day.
    We had lunch with my Mum and my Son, and got to see DGS6 he's so cute!
    I had been sewing all morning but still not caught up with the work and when I came home it was the last thing I wanted to do.
    I had a nap, a bath, and Dgd cooked pancakes for tea.
    I should be doing that sewing but I have no enthusiasm for it at all.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 54,023 Posts
    • 214,052 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well to be honest I would not be keen on doing the sewing either.
    Not sure what the answer is.

***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 47,478 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well to be honest I would not be keen on doing the sewing either.
    Not sure what the answer is.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I am not going to be sewing tonight. I will press the things that I did this morning, in the morning before I go to work. The jobs will just have to be done in the shop tomorrow. I have several people coming in for sewing trials this week. Hopefully I will find someone who can take on some of my work. My hands need the rest, and I want to focus on the more mundane side of things like the actual profits, planning etc that I don't do enough of.

Biggest is not expected to come to work tomorrow, so I will move my machine down to the shop floor, so that I don't have to keep running up and down the stairs every time the door opens.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 47,478 Thanks
    Mooloo
    DS is in trouble at work and has to move out before the 2nd April. I don't know exactly why, but he has been having problems with the click of staff and the neice of the boss was brought in above him even though she doesn't know what she is doing. He has a beard and a ponytail and they are trying to make him shave and cut his hair. They are also complaining that he has his children in his flat. Basically they don't want him anymore and are doing everything they can to get him to go, and now a disciplinary based on complete fabrication of lies by certain staff. I saw some of the undermining going on myself yesterday. I have told him that he needs to go look for another job now, not wait for the disciplinary. I have told him to decide what exactly he is doing with the mother of his children and that if they are going to try again, then they must try (she has been stopping at his place quite a lot as far as I can see).
    He owes his sister for the car insurance and has messed up with bank charges. He had £225 worth of bank charges this month!!
    I could not believe that banks can do that. They have put him in the vicious circle of debts. I am going to try to investigate this on Wednesday with him
    I shall scour this site and see what can be done.

I am struggling with my hands and have realised that I have not been taking my golden paste since I went away last month. So time to start that again.
    Time to wake Dgd and get my backs packed for work with all of the stuff I brought home.
    See you later.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 57,956 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh Mooloo, I don't know what to say

Thinking of you and sending (((HUGS)))
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 12th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 25,923 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Sorry to hear about the problems with DS, Mooloo - and here's a suggestion that could well be an absolute non-starter - but what about you employing DS in the shop? You've said that Biggest is going to be limited in what she can do with the pregnancy and everything else - but could DS fill the role? Moving stuff around, dealing with customers etc - you could even see if he has an aptitude for sewing (think of all the tailors and big designers!) .

Just throwing you a suggestion xxxxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin