Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 9,597Posts
    • 46,736Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018 31st Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    My previous threads here have been about my struggles etc bringing up my family and now my Granddaughter, building a business on little funds and a lot of faith.
    Titles suggested often are linked to my sewing, but this year I want to be different. No more Struggle!

This year is all about Managing it!
    Getting on top of the hiccups and the pitfalls.
    Managing to say NO more often.
    Managing to cut my Debts.
    Managing to raise my Income levels.
    Managing to make my Business even better.
    Managing to block time for the things I want to do.
    Managing to create a better home life.
    Managing to raise above the fire fighting and being ready to tackle issues before the fire.

So here is the start.
    I am due to go out celebrating the New Year this evening with my BF, and Welcome Home my DGD tomorrow.
    I will expand on my goals and plans over the next few days, and follow through the next 12 months.
    See you along the way.
    Without my fellow MSE’ers I probably would have had a much tougher ride than I had.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 10
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Feb 18, 10:52 PM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 56,495 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hope you have a good break Mooloo
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 10th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Enjoy your holiday Mooloo.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 23,602 Thanks
    Slinky
    It's cold and raining here Mooloo, you're missing nothing. Have a good break.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 11th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Yesterday was very cold and wet here too. We walked far too much and I got a huge blister on the sole of my foot. Walking to the supermarket last evening was a bit of an ordeal. I decided to buy a kettle, teabags and milk. We also bought some prepared salads and a box of winezcame back emptied the mini bar and filled it with our stuff. We had a tapas lunch so we're expecting to eat the salad last night. However while the fridge was doing its magic and cooling our swag we had a couple of beers in the hotel bar, andreceived two bowls of peanuts and other tasty treats,so we didn't actually want anything more.
    We have been very lucky to have a balcony that has had the sun on all day, and when I had expected another rainy day, and trapping for miles in uncomfortable misery,we have infact sat facing the sun all day, I am in a summer jumpsuit (that converts into two other items of apparel), and we have read, listened to music,eaten a tasty salad, and absorbedthe sunshine while I rest my foot.
    I couldn't have thought of a better result for the day.
    We are sipping wine from the box we purchasedin the supermarket for !!!8364;5.40
    A glass of wine in the hotel is !!!8364;3
    A cup of tea is nearly !!!8364;3 as well.
    So we are quids in!
    Althoughbuying a kettle seems a bit of a waste it has made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the holiday.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 56,495 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Yesterday was very cold and wet here too. We walked far too much and I got a huge blister on the sole of my foot. Walking to the supermarket last evening was a bit of an ordeal. I decided to buy a kettle, teabags and milk. We also bought some prepared salads and a box of winezcame back emptied the mini bar and filled it with our stuff. We had a tapas lunch so we're expecting to eat the salad last night. However while the fridge was doing its magic and cooling our swag we had a couple of beers in the hotel bar, andreceived two bowls of peanuts and other tasty treats,so we didn't actually want anything more.
    We have been very lucky to have a balcony that has had the sun on all day, and when I had expected another rainy day, and trapping for miles in uncomfortable misery,we have infact sat facing the sun all day, I am in a summer jumpsuit (that converts into two other items of apparel), and we have read, listened to music,eaten a tasty salad, and absorbedthe sunshine while I rest my foot.
    I couldn't have thought of a better result for the day.
    We are sipping wine from the box we purchasedin the supermarket for !!!8364;5.40
    A glass of wine in the hotel is !!!8364;3
    A cup of tea is nearly !!!8364;3 as well.
    So we are quids in!
    Althoughbuying a kettle seems a bit of a waste it has made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the holiday.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    In that case it was definitely money well spent
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Today sounds fab
    Sitting in the sun=bliss.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 12th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Today was RAINING all day!
    We went into town on the bus, ate tapas, got cold and damp, bought an umbrella that turned inside out on me a few times, got the wrong bus back and spent an extra hour riding buses!
    Oh well. I don't care, I still was content enough, even if BF got moody. Predictable. I just told him to lighten up, and continued to enjoy the bus journey across town!
    We have sat in the room, me reading, him singing to his iPad. Supping our wine. We dried out, warmed up. It's all good.
    Someone has booked on to the sewing course for Saturday, so I have ordered the fabric for it. Had to pay first class postage as it's a bit close, thank goodness for the internet, eBay, and wifi!!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Sunny! Yeah.
    Guess what? I haven't left the hotel room, well only as far as the balcony.
    I have spent the last 5 hours sitting on the balcony absorbing the warmth of the sun, although the clouds are now coming in, and I am sitting with my shawl on now.
    I have been reading and writing.
    I know that you will all think that the sun has gone to my head, even though at ground level it's only around 9C!
    But I have really relaxed, and revitalised my energy levels. I have read two books that I feel will change my life. I have written things in my journal that have even astonished me.
    I am ready to work hard once more. I am ready for the next step and in my heart I know that I am back on track. I know my next step forwards. I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me, and I know that I have managed to shrug off the black dog here.
    And I don't intend to let it come back any time soon.
    I think I have also gone a little mad as I came across a lady who has been giving away her beloved embroidery things due to an illness and I have decided to give her one of my embroidery machines so like my Mum she can still be creative. I hope anyway.
    I was once given some sewing machines, so I think it's my time to pass it on.
    I am not telling you this for anything other than to say to you, who ever you are that reads my ramblings, what could you do to pay it forward for some body, anybody?
    I don't have much money but I do have sewing machines!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you are ready for the next step whatever it may be.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • *max*
    • By *max* 13th Feb 18, 11:57 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 13,334 Thanks
    *max*
    It's a lovely thing to do...but...how much is that machine worth? From just googling, as I know nothing about them, they seem to be very expensive to buy new, around 1K. Is that the kind you're giving her?
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    It's a lovely thing to do...but...how much is that machine worth? From just googling, as I know nothing about them, they seem to be very expensive to buy new, around 1K. Is that the kind you're giving her?
    Originally posted by *max*
    Gosh no.
    It was around £350 second hand to me 5 years ago.
    I have two others plus an industrial one, so it's hardly been used and if I can help one person after all the help I have received from people it is not a huge ask.
    I have always been lucky in receiving random things over the years, mainly sewing related fabrics, buttons, zips etc and when Dgd came to live with me I received potties and steps, books, videos and a tv even.
    We have received funds when we needed them, and when I started my Shop one of the people from here gave me a sewing machine and overlocker that I couldn't afford to give him any money for, those are the two machines I use everyday.

I may have cashflow problems but things I have a plenty of now, I have horded for years having come from a life of living on the breadline.
    But now I feel that it's time for me to let go of some things I really don't need. But only if I can do something with things, I don't like throwing things out.

I have never forgotten how desperate I felt when I first came to MSE.
    Stress, bankruptcies, homeless, children having children.
    Illness.
    It was a dark time.
    It's my time to help that's all.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Feb 18, 9:30 AM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 56,495 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    How lovely Mooloo the lady will be so pleased!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Feb 18, 11:41 PM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am home! Sat in bed with my dressing gown on, a cup of tea and eating a brioche as we didn't get lunch, or tea only shared a bag of crisps!!
    The flight was delayed by about 30 minutes, took an hour longer coming home then going, and then we sat on the plane another 30 mins before they let us off.
    My passport wouldn't work in the automatic recognition booths, the assistant tried me on 5 different machines, Bf was gone through and had collected the bags before finally I was taken to the good old fashioned people's line.
    The weather is awful for motorway driving all the way from Stansted, and Baf has decided to go straight home as he has an early start tomorrow! Luckily for him he will be getting into a warm house as his family are there and he has a hive app.
    I have uht milk so I shall have tea in the morning too.
    Still waiting to hear if the lady is accepting the job offer or not. I have great hopes so I can stop being the main sewer and start to be more productive in other areas including the teaching and the creative side.
    For now I will just have to warm up and get some sleep.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Feb 18, 11:59 PM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Spoke too soon, email in from the lady declining the job offer due to logistics.
    So I am up against the clock to find another person.
    Maybe I will find someone better.
    There is always a reason after all.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Feb 18, 7:24 AM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well I am rather jaded this morning! I couldn't get warm so sleep eluded me for several hours and then I had two different nightmares waking me up rather stressed!
    Despite being tired I was glad of the alarm, and even more grateful that I took the time to set up the teasmade.
    Of course my mind is now buzzing with all the things I need to do.
    The first is start looking for a better seamstress to join the team.
    The second is to brave the cold and actually get down stairs for my shower! I left the heating on all night and I struggled to get warm!
    I am digging in my boots for those socks to pull up, and looking for those big girls pants to put on,!
    However despite the circumstances I am still looking forward to getting the ball rolling and taking the next step at work. Although I will be driving and not walking as I have two blisters on my blisters! My boots have failed me somewhat. Perhaps they require insoles. Worth a try anyway.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am thinking as positively as I can, but today has not gone as smoothly as I had planned.
    Broken shower, smashed a glass, sewing machine played foul during a lesson, and Roman blind was started but machine tangled and spent too long unpicking.
    I gave up and came home as I think I am too tired.
    Revised plan is to have a stir fry, a hot bath (because shower is broken), and if I feel revitalised I will make a cushion cover and some small repairs I brought home.
    Set the alarm for an early morning call and start again.

I am on my own for the next 24 hours so I am going to try and catch up tomorrow.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Feb 18, 6:54 AM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning. Had my stir fry, had a bath, quite a hot one as my back aches. Seemed to do the trick. Spoke to Dgd on FaceTime. Watched tv and then my new Aldi sewing machine beckoned me from the table, so I did the repairs to test it out, and made the cushioncover out of the Pjs supplied. ( after I had washed and dried them as they had pink sticky stuff on them- medicine I am guessing)
    Before I knew it it was after 10.30pm
    I set my teasmade for 7am but after waking several times with weird dreams when I woke suddenly from a dream that Dgd fell into concrete and broke her leg, I woke as I was rescuing her. ( as if I could carry her up a static ladder!). I decided not to go back to sleep, and realised its not worth trying so I have advanced the tea to now.
    I am visualising a better day, and one that the Shop is quiet so I can steam ahead through all the work that I have. I am on my own today with fittings at the start and end of the shops hours.

I am not going to worry about anything else but getting the blinds as near to completion as I can. I can't find my hacksaw though and we no longer have the DIY Shop in town.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Always good to give back if we can
    Hope you get another staff member really soon.

***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Found the hacksaw.
    Spent all day finishing the blinds while serving in the shop. I walked 4.4km in doing so, up and down the stairs.
    I am tired as I was at work from 8.15 until 5.45 tonight.
    Lots of collections and drop off work.
    I didn't get to sew anything other than the blinds. All I need to do is cut the second blinds rods but Biggests is going to help me tomorrow as I struggled with the first one.
    I am home now, another stir fry and feet up for a while.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Feb 18, 7:34 AM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Aiming for a good day today. I need to get to work a little earlier again today to vacuum before customers arrive. Finish stringing the blind, before a 9.30 fitting. Course put back 30 minutes as wedding fitting was booked in (staff error), luckily only one lady on the course so I expect we should still finish by the end of the time allotted despite the start change.
    This early evening I have Dgd's bedroom to tackle and my bed to change ready for the family to use tomorrow. Then hopefully I will get to see Mum tonight as it's her Birthday. Tomorrow we are off to the trade show at the NEC with a hotel stop over.
    So I am hoping my planning goes smoothly.
    Time for porridge!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,011Posts Today

8,330Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm retweeting this so people can judge my 'non-apology' for themselves. Yet I am gen? https://t.co/ALnjaDtZcm

• I don't shush women. But did wrongly shush a woman, u, not due to gender, but as u patronisingly offered me an unpa? https://t.co/jCYTb7aFYt

• Harassing people who are hospitalised for mental health issues helps no one. Giving breathing space to put finance? https://t.co/L02RzMDoEs

• Follow Martin