Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,486Posts
    • 35,662Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018 31st Dec 17 at 5:47 PM
    FIRST FULL THREAD OF 2018

May I wish each and everyone of you, regulars, oldies, newbies, returners and lurkers a very Happy 2018 may it be filled with happiness and not too much dust.

This week will see a LOT of newcomers which happens every year, sadly many of these ladies and gents do not stay long. This influx usually means the thread is very very busy, please do not lose heart if you cannot keep up with everyone else or reading the thread, don't try to reply to everyone and please remember to include something about flying in your posts, chat is for the weekend when your home is looking beautiful!!! Things will settle again in a couple of weeks so don't worry it will return to normal and we will hopefully have some new fledglings.

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

There are 3 levels per day deepening on how much time you have. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal circumstances.

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer![/color]

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Mondayday - New Year's Day
    Just some bits and pieces for those in the mood, if not have the day off ready to start tomorrow. Remember to spend sometime with family/friends if you like that sort of thing.

Hoover out smoke alarms and test
    Put up those calenders for the new year
    Update calendar/diary with all those important dates
    Delete some emails/favourites
    Back up photos from phone/laptop etc, enjoy looking over some
    Put away any glasses used last night
    Hoover any areas in dire need
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Sort out that drawer/cupboard/shelf which has been on your list forever.

No Laundry !!!8211; you don!!!8217;t want to wash away any good luck.

Write a list of 5 things you do that make you happy and 5 that make you sad. Ponder on how to do more of the first list and less of the latter.

Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Living Room

Level One
    S&S Kitchen
    Empty out bins
    Wipe/scrub sink
    Level Two
    Straighten up cushions/covers/displaced toys etc..
    Move clutter so you can vacuum under it
    Vacuum and wipe (if needed) sofas
    Dust any areas below eye level
    Find homes for new appliances/books that you may have received for Christmas
    Level Three
    Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)
    Clear anything that shouldn't be where it is..maybe the Christmas tree if don!!!8217;t want to wait till 12th night
    Look for the good in others and notice their strengths..

Extra Mission Tasks - as usual if you fancy tackling something else you could try one or more of these
    • Check the useby dates on stuff in fridge, double check your fruit bowl !!!8211; do you need to get rid of anything furry or a funny colour?
    • Wipe the bits next to the steps on the stairs, yours might be skirting board, edging of some sort, grab a cloth and give it a wipe

Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen, air the bed if possible
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
    Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Do three extra acts of kindess fpr other people.

Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Check the airing cupboard, anything that is way past it's use by (maybe recycle for rags if possible, you could donate old sheets oor towels to a local animal rescue for bedding)
    • Clean tops of wardrobes and drawers (if safe to do so, no pregnant flyladies on ladders please delegate the job instead)
    • Check through undies drawers, anything more holy than the church which needs to go/be repaired? Anyone need anything replacing?
    • Give everyone at home a bag to collect the things which belong to them that are not where they should be, give them 15 minutes to find them all and put them away You could threaten to bin whatever is left if they don't seeing as everyones being quite ruthless this week
    Thursday ~ Childrens/spare rooms
    Level One...
    The most important task first.. make time for yourself.. a haircut, manicure, or just a relaxing bath in peace!
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Level Two...
    Sort through a box of toys/shelf/cupboard see if you can fit in some of the christmas stash
    Tidy a chest of drawers
    Vacuum, even if it means kicking all the mess into a corner heap!
    Level Three..
    Binbag Dance.. fling those broken things and empty packaging!
    Wash windows and sills, and curtains and blinds!
    Make sure games are in boxes and books are straight on shelves
    Extras
    • Wash stinky pet beds/houses
    • Dust all the light fittings
    • Chase appointments/put off call and emails/catch up with a friend you have been putting off
    • Check when appointments are due for dentist, opticians, smears etc.. Make notes in diaries/calendars

Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Level One
    Declutter floors and chairs and pile all the paperwork in one heap
    Clear desk of papers and junk.. give it a good wipe
    Level Two...
    Wipe mouse, keyboard and polish screens while pc runs defrag.
    Declutter 50 emails, 5 dead links and any unused programs.. make backup disc of pics etc.. just in case!
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Level Three...
    Wash shower curtains/mat etc that are grotty
    Clean paintwork and shine mirrors
    Empty and wash out bins
    Extras
    • Sort through that pile of hotspots!
    • Make room in the bathroom for your new christmas smellies! and get them installed
    • Clean radiators.. don't forget the back (sock on a stick/coat hanger!)
    • Get those christmas 'Thank you's' sent out!
    Last edited by Natty68; 04-01-2018 at 9:17 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 12
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 6th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 41,482 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    I managed to do some sorting in our bedroom last night. All Christmas stuff in boxes ready to be put away - can't quite believe it myself.

So far today I've taken the hound on the regular group walk, bought a few bits at Mr L on the way home, made coffee and went to have my hair cut. I'm aiming for further progress with the lists before tutoring at 4pm (takes up almost two hours with driving there and back) and shopping at Mr A and Mr T on the way home. Had better write a list, then.

Monday - New Year's Day
    Schedule time with DS2 and his calendar
    Hoover any areas in dire need - on DS1's list for tomorrow
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Living Room
    Wipe/scrub sink
    double check your fruit bowl
    Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    HH tidy
    27 fling boogie time
    Thursday ~ Childrens/spare rooms
    HHC in DS2's room
    Vacuum- DS1 tomorrow
    Binbag Dance
    phone dentist
    phone car place
    take little cat to vet's (she has a croaky voice)
    Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Empty and wash out bins
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 52,825 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello, me again.

FBO - situation sounds awful. In our family it took 18 months for the inquest but the funeral was able to go ahead within 2 months.

Valli -what a shock for your friend.

Slinkies challenge- starting and current weight are in sig, I want to lose 2 stones.

Most of my errands in town are done, but I couldn!!!8217;t face the big shop so decided there was nothing we desperately needed. Need to pop to local shop later now for milk. Bedding is changed and in the machine.

About to walk the dogs and will then sort the decorations.
    Savings 2018: 1641.70
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 6th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 36,743 Posts
    • 472,977 Thanks
    pigpen
    well.. nothing achieved.. I got as far as the loo.. DS1 rang from drama land.. his gf left last night, he quit his job, accidentally set the pub kitchen alight and so I've been on the phone ever since..

off to do lunch for the girls and attempt the HHC now..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 6th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 36,199 Thanks
    ionafan
    Oh, pigpen, what a miserable start to the year for your DS1

(((Hugs))) FBO. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the funeral.

I have achieved a lot this morning:
    - taken down tree and all indoor lights, sorted baubles - all put away in the loft
    - taken down cards, and will sort out suitable ones to pass on to a friend who makes literally dozens of Christmas cards for prisoners
    - taken down and chopped up holly
    - dusted LR and DR where most of the decorations were
    - saved some plants from a flower arrangement that I received in November
    - sorted the cut flowers, binned the dead ones and rearranged the decent ones that will give me pleasure for a couple more days
    - rescued the dusteronastick from Rosie umpteen times

Meanwhile DH went upstairs to shower, lay down on the bed and slept for 3 hours He now tells me that his hip is hurting, which explains the bad mood he was in at breakfast time. Why couldn't he just have said then? - I would have offered him some sympathy instead of being cross with him. He has now started to take down the garden lights.

Off to make leek'n'potato soup for lunch, after which Rosie will get her walk.
    Last edited by ionafan; 06-01-2018 at 1:53 PM.
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 6th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 36,743 Posts
    • 472,977 Thanks
    pigpen
    girls fed... DD1 going to be with DS1.. and I still haven't done anything productive!!
    • Valli
    • By Valli 6th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 20,478 Posts
    • 232,782 Thanks
    Valli
    aww piggers - poor DS1

kitchen spotless v. pleased with 'coral' pad on steam cleaner.

2 cats still in house

started bathrrom, stopped for lunch
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 6th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 36,743 Posts
    • 472,977 Thanks
    pigpen
    oh.. and I have a new niece apparently..
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Jan 18, 3:25 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 115,710 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Thanks for your kind wishes. Still struggling a lot - this has made me so anxious i have never felt so unwell with anxiety before, I'm struggling to eat. All because two people are being unnecessarily cruel.
    Originally posted by atypicalblonde
    I know thw "struggling to eat" bit well; when you feel you can face something, make sure it's nutritious, and if you only want to eat three spoonfuls at a time, go with that, it's better than nowt. When Mr LW was in the horse-piddle having started peeing blood (sorry if TMI) and I was off my head with worry, I sussisted on scrambled eggs.
    Hang on in the mate. x
    LW - good news about the new hearing aids. Any canine visitors due soon?
    Originally posted by Fayolle
    Should have had Daisy arriving today, but they've had to cancel their short break as her Mum has been taken poorly. It's a shame, it was to be a treat for her birthday.
    Anyways, next up is Sasha, due here on 19th January.
    IF YOU A RE DOING THE SLINKY challenge please post, with your target ty
    Originally posted by Valli
    Target loss is 2 stone, or if you prefer, 28lb. This is what I still could've done to lose before they put me on Gabapentin + the weight the Gabapentin put on me in a very short space of time.
    IF (and it's a big "if") I can manage it, that'll take me back to what I was when I moved in with Mr LW. Tbh I think it's a tall order; if I can shift 1 stone (14lb) I'll be reasonably content.

Btw Valli I'm sorry to hear of your friend's loss.

Re DH's/OH's etc lying in bed all day - Mr LW would happily do this since he retired, and tbh, he's getting worse; the biggest problem is that I need assistance to bathe and dress, so it's extremely frustrating to have to expend vast amounts of energy persuading him to shift his butt before I can actually get on with anything in the mornings. And having expended that energy, I start the morning's tasks exhausted.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 52,825 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello again. All but four decorations (which I can't reach) are in boxes ready to go back up in the loft. Some cleaning done, minimal, and the hoovering can wait till tomorrow.

Time for a cuppa, read the paper and relax with family for the evening. We are being treated to a takeaway.
    Savings 2018: 1641.70
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 6th Jan 18, 4:09 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 22,345 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Slinkie target - uh, who knows; I go more by what I look and feel like than numbers, although they are a good guide. Grits teeth I was 11st 1lb on Monday. And I'm 5ft 3 so not good really. Plus we're going out with friends for a meal this eve.

Did a huge de-decorate in the lounge/diner with Mr N this morning. All Christmas things now in boxes in the loft. All cards gone through, copied down any new addresses etc now ready for recycling.
    Dusted, de-webbed and vacuumed.
    There are still a few things lurking around that need homes (including chocolate), but it looks a whole load bigger than it did.
    Rang a friend as it is her birthday.
    Filled bird feeders yet again.
    Did a bit more on a course I've just started on autism.
    About to continue with my final report (well, until I do 2 assessments next week when it all starts again).
    Hugs to all those in need.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 6th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 7,669 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Back from a cold afternoon out. DD happy as she has been riding for the first time in a fortnight. I decided to drive the few miles to an out of town Mr T rather than either freeze just sitting in the car or driving home which is an hour minimum round trip, and uses even more petrol. Top up shop done, which is the first one apart from milk, since before Christmas. Treated DH and myself to a magazine each, just because.

DH is still out. DD is singing in the shower. I am sitting with a cuppa, new magazine in hand. Bliss for as long as it lasts.
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 6th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 8,832 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Lunch with Lorna eaten - Mediterranean vegetable with ricotta quiche, coleslaw (not much) and side salad (lots) - their serving not my choice . I did choose to forgo their scrummy potato wedges - and, if I'm honest, I didn't miss them as much as I thought I would. I took Lorna's birthday card and presents in a gift bag from the stash.

Whilst out I bought three birthday cards for birthdays in Feb, July and December - I must make a note in my bullet journal that these three people are sorted cardwise. I also called at the C00p on the way home and bought a few bits (including tomato puree )

Been feeling a bit nauseous since coming home so just taken it easy and read my book this afternoon. I've told DS he can go to chippy for his tea; I'll try something light later (maybe). Hope I'm not getting one of the dreadful bugs that colleagues have had over the holidays

Think I'll do a laundry shuffle and call it a day.

Rxx
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 6th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 50,765 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    (((Hugs))) ATB and FBO.

IF YOU A RE DOING THE SLINKY challenge please post, with your target ty
    Excellent suggestion. For those of us doing the Hovel House to Heavenly House Challenge (anyone else got any suggestions as to what to call it) how are we going to do it? One room at a time, all doing the same together if possible, or dusting first month and then and degibbling, and then washing windows, followed by something else? There are nine rooms here, plus the attic, the stairs and landings and a few large cupboards that are part of the structure, like the old coal hole and the cupboard under the front steps that used to be the larder. Theoretically I could do one area a month but I've tried that in the past and gave up when confronted by the sitting room. My office, aka my RoD is also just too big to consider doing in one hit, but if I made the commitment to wash all the paintwork in the house one month I'd have to move furntiture and would therefore vacuum under it so it would give me the same result in the long term. :confused:

Is there anything more unnecessarily frustrating than trying to change broadband/landline suppliers? Gah.
    Keeping it AF
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 6th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 36,743 Posts
    • 472,977 Thanks
    pigpen
    Is there anything more unnecessarily frustrating than trying to change broadband/landline suppliers? Gah.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    yes.. trying to change supplier when you don't have a BT line..
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 6th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 5,343 Posts
    • 55,181 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Afternoon everyone

Soo sorry to read the news re your DS1 Pigpen - hope he's okay - and congrats on the new addition to the family

Hope the wait isn't too long FBO. Sending some hugs and stay-strong vibes

On the slinky challenge I'm aiming for 9lbs atm

When I decided to get this apartment sorted I found it easier to do little and often, interspersed with other 'stuff'. I would pick something like a cupboard and 'do' one shelf thoroughly. Next time I had a spare 15/20 mins I would do another shelf. I tried to do one extra task each day - it slowly adds up providing you don't get too carried away and leave other 'stuff' to pile up. Must admit the big cupboard took weeks and weeks to sort properly - one file at a time mostly.

Whoopee doo !!

Today I finally finished sorting the last box from the big cupboard in the spare room. Three files of teaching stuff thinned into one I want to keep and shelved, rest binned/shredded

Just having hm pizza for tea today - nice and quick and easy. I'll do a roast tomorrow.

Hope you all having a good Saturday
    Lx
    10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130x61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = 13,140
    • Valli
    • By Valli 6th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 20,478 Posts
    • 232,782 Thanks
    Valli
    Love the doggie names - I know two little girls with EXACTLY those names LW

Excellent progress in Villa Valli today

Kitchen - immaculate (could have something to do with suggestion of chinese for tea...in an attempt to keep it tidy)
    Bathroom - immaculate
    Christmas decs almost everything in loft. Mouse-chewed paper swept up from loft. DD informed that mouse bait is to stay up there...no, they are NOT cute if they have moved in. Mysterious piece of MDF that I have no recollection of ever having seen removed from loft and stuck in shed in anticipation of tip run at some point. Spare kitchen tiles in grabbing distance - either plumbers can come to 'make good' or I will have a go or see if dad's up to it...(removed boiler controller is 'out of sight' anyway so it's not urgent).
    Old Christmas tree binned - it lost a branch or two so had a patchy side anyway, and is at least 10 years old so we've had our money's worth.
    Lounge, hallway and bottom part of stairs vacuumed.

ETA the 'almost' refers to the two bauble-hooks I found after I had put everything away. In a long standing tradition they will live in the bureau with the paperclips in the vintage bakelite paper-clip holder for the foreseeable. And I need to put the spare bulbs (fairy and candle bridge) away in the bulb box. And the snowglobe which lives in my handbag wardrobe as I worry about is retaining its liquid in the loft.
    Last edited by Valli; 06-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 6th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 36,199 Thanks
    ionafan
    Mouse-chewed paper swept up from loft. DD informed that mouse bait is to stay up there...no, they are NOT cute if they have moved in.
    I did a similar job this morning - the little ****** had chewed the bottom of a pack of toilet rolls: one is very lacy, but still mostly usable.

Then just after lunch NNDN came round to say that they have got mice in their loft. No doubt they are running from one house to the other (semis). I sent DH to nearest ironmonger to buy new traps. Can't use bait in bathroom loft because of Rosie (because the door sometimes comes open of its own accord, when the wind is in a particular direction) though I might try some in the bedroom loft which is rarely opened but is where I store family history papers - and I don't want them ruined.

DH also called at B00ts for vitamins and took the holly to the tip. That wore him out for the rest of the afternoon, so after Rosie and I came home from our hour's walk I hoovered the LR and moved the sofas round. The LR is now tidy and clean.

Just going to update my diaries and then finish off our evening meal. While the rice is cooking I will wipe the fridges and make a shopping list.

WMx2 done too.

That only leaves 3 emails (I can send them after we've eaten) and some phonecalls (but I shall be seeing some of the people at church in the morning and will ring the rest tomorrow afternoon).

It sounds like a lot of us have flown well today
    Last edited by ionafan; 06-01-2018 at 6:20 PM.
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 6th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 4,571 Posts
    • 38,151 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Swished the bedrooms and hoovered upstairs. General tidy around. Went to watch DS play footie for a bit then came home and made chilli. Sleepy now.

Forgot that there is paperwork to do for DH, will do that tomorrow. Think DS1 wants a lift to the pub in a bit. Going to shift myself and check my mealplan and shopping list for the week, dont want to doze off because I wont sleep properly tonight!

I am working on a list of "extra jobs" that need doing because often when I have a spare bit of time I dawdle about and waste it. I have this idea that if I have a list I can pick something off it and tick it off.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 24,374 Posts
    • 96,481 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Kitchen is again, all sparkly clean and neat, with everything washed up, put away,
    rehomed and generally scrubbed to within an inch of life. Sink unblocked again, washing up bowl degrotted, counters clean, hob degreased and decrumbed, ingredients all removed from various waiting areas (floor? why? the cupboard they go in is one inch away ) and teatowels put into the WM to be nuked along with a bathtowel or sheet when I go upstairs next (having rescued my one not yet shrunk shirt from the machine where he'd put it, despite having instigated the 'isolate what I can't be trusted with' protocol - which I am tempted to rename as The Washing & Additional Tasks Protocol in his honour.

Spent a while with the laptop sat at the table for a change, as the Idiot Cat is getting very assertive in having to hurl himself at my legs and sleep on my foot as I'm curled up on the sofa; he's also getting a bit clumsy with his pointy bits which, as I'm a no socks type of person (mainly because I can never find any after Himself has been at the new packs I buy regularly), which is beginning to annoy me.

All went well - removed the heavy, fluffy lump that was sat on it hiding under the tablecloth, everything was clear and clean and comfortable. And then a tabby lump of Stupid launched himself into the small collection of cacti on the table, promptly fell back off and took the unsuspecting little plants with him. So I can add 'swore profusely at the Idiot Cat, picked up little herd of spiky plants that showed their gratitude for rescue by stabbing me repeatedly, swept of soil and gravel and then returned to a now cold cup of tea that had compost floating on the top' to my achievements today. Serves me right for wanting to escape being jabbed by sharp things or being leapt upon by the Idiot Animal.

Also collected up the various pairs of shoes that have accumulated downstairs.

Oh, and since he's come down, all bouncy and chirpy again (WTF is wrong with him? He's never bouncy and chirpy, but he's been like it for at least 3 days now), had two Pain au Chocolat and a cup of black chai, gone to the shop, forgotten that it's my birthday next Friday and agreed to do a DJ gig all afternoon on the Saturday, and seen an immaculate kitchen and living room, Himself has decided to cook us 'Pasta Bake' whatever the heck that is going to turn out like.

Hmmm. Starchy water, tomato gloop, chopping onions on the clean boards, stirring both pans, draining the pasta, pouring into a baking dish, dishing up, grating cheese...what could possibly go wrong?

(((Hugs))) ATB and FBO.

Excellent suggestion. For those of us doing the Hovel House to Heavenly House Challenge (anyone else got any suggestions as to what to call it) how are we going to do it? One room at a time, all doing the same together if possible, or dusting first month and then and degibbling, and then washing windows, followed by something else? There are nine rooms here, plus the attic, the stairs and landings and a few large cupboards that are part of the structure, like the old coal hole and the cupboard under the front steps that used to be the larder. Theoretically I could do one area a month but I've tried that in the past and gave up when confronted by the sitting room. My office, aka my RoD is also just too big to consider doing in one hit, but if I made the commitment to wash all the paintwork in the house one month I'd have to move furntiture and would therefore vacuum under it so it would give me the same result in the long term. :confused:

Trying to do everything in a room at once doesn't work when there isn't anywhere to put the moved items - it just makes all the rooms look a hundred times worse, IMO. And trying to do one task in every room is almost guaranteed to drive you to a nervous breakdown.

I'd suggest doing one job that makes the most visual difference to that one area at a time. I'd say I'm probably bordering upon being a Stair Fascist, as I detest anything at all left on them (childhood experiences coming through). So I'd suggest starting there.

My plan for tackling them would be roughly like this;

1. Remove absolutely EVERYTHING from the stairs themselves. I mean EVERYTHING except the stair runner itself. If the stairs go over several levels, treat each run as a separate section.

2. Check the runner is still secure, bashing in carpet tacks or tightening rods as applicable.

By this point, you'll probably be sniffly and sneezing, especially if some treads have been fully exposed for the first time in a while.

3. Vaccum every tread and riser with the appropriate tool - the little turbo brush on the Dyson is perfect for that, along with the crevice tool, if you have a Dyson. Sit on the stairs as you do it, as that way, you'll be able to see every inch is clean (and it's safer/less physical effort than trying to do it standing up). Start from the bottom and work your way up, as that way, you aren't risking the vacuum cleaner coming down on top of your head. And you can go and get a cuppa once you've finished the first section.

4. Damp dust the banister/handrail on your right on your way down for your cuppa.

5. DD the one on your left on your way back up.

6. Next - skirtings/treads that have exposed wood. Do them sitting on the stairs. You're having a nice little sitdown, not working too hard.

You're back downstairs. With a clean set of stairs. Time for another cuppa whilst working out what is rubbish/needs relocating from the stairs. If there are things you genuinely need and are dusty, stick them in the WM/sink as applicable. If it looks like it might act as fuel in the event of a fire, you probably don't need it on your stairs ever again. Make sure nothing is taken back with the intention of moving it upstairs. Assume the stairs are lava and you cannot put anything on them - everything either goes straight up into a room, stays downstairs in a room or goes into the bin.

7. DD any picture frames on your way back up to start the next section.

Repeat as necessary until every step is safe to run down in the dark when the roof is on fire and safe to run down in the dark and get you to the nearest external door if the downstairs is on fire. And safe for big firefighters wearing lots of bulky equipment if they need to come up to save you if there is a fire.

Next task concerning the stairs - any windows. Fairly simple here, completely clear them (DO NOT LEAVE THE ITEMS ON THE NEWLY CLEANED STAIRS), remove all window dressings and put in the wash. Wash window, frames and sill. Replace nets if you have them (you might prefer the extra light, if not, a good squeeze and they'll dry exceptionally quickly and crease free if rehung). Only replace things that add to the appearance of said window (a single, healthy plant, leaves wiped over to remove dust, decorative pot washed up and dried, a couple of newly dusted, pretty, vintage books, no more than one or two ornaments if you're into that sort of thing, all washed).

Next job, the stuff you only see when you look up. Cobwebs and lampshades. Remove, clean, replace the latter.

Deal with each landing in a similar manner another time. And the hall.

None of this has to be done in anything other than chunks. If you want to do more than one chunk in a day, fine, but each one should not (unless somebody is a huge hoarder) take more than a couple of hours at a leisurely pace - that way, if you run out of steam, you're still left with one section looking significantly better than before. There's lots of sitting down, lots of breaks for tea and you aren't slogging away for hours on end, only to destroy the effect by messing it all up again.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • froddington
    • By froddington 6th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 6,641 Posts
    • 93,785 Thanks
    froddington
    For those of us doing the Hovel House to Heavenly House Challenge (anyone else got any suggestions as to what to call it) how are we going to do it?
    Hovel to Haven? Shorter and, therefore, easier to type!!!

Not sure on the best way to tackle it - I was thinking of using the spare room as a dumping ground for stuff from everywhere else which can then be sorted and housed / sold / dumped / given away bit by bit. That would give me room to properly clean and sort the other rooms without the clutter that currently puts me off.

I will probably end up writing a list of every little thing that needs doing in each room / area so I can see progress as I cross things off even if I've only done one or two small jobs in a day.
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2018 200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter