Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,165Posts
    • 11,642Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
Page 79
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 52,079 Posts
    • 622,433 Thanks
    bubbs
    Are they soft to eat?
    Originally posted by Abbafan1972
    They are the same texture as a prawn cracker, there not really hard but crisp
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 4 1/2 lb
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 11th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 15,626 Thanks
    greentiger
    Thanks for good wishes for mr greentiger. He!!!8217;s still feeling very sorry for himself (quite rightly too).

Also, I was thinking I!!!8217;d have to give up on my car too. I!!!8217;ve had it since it was new (7 years come May) and I!!!8217;ve never had a problem with it !!!8211; and I love it! But I just wonder what will be next if I were to keep it?

Great losses, Lioness, tweets and Abbafan. Well done, Sunshine and lucia.

It!!!8217;s snowing here again, bubbs!

Pity about the result, maman (and tweets, what happened there?). We got drawn away to Rangers in the cup quarter finals. Oh well. Expect the unexpected. To be honest, I!!!8217;m surprised we have got this far!

Come in, FredTheArmadillo.

Well lazy day here; still not done shopping but only a few syns over my allowance, I think. I!!!8217;ve been eating more often than usual to encourage DH to eat and drink. I am not looking forward to my appointment with the scales tomorrow.
    Stashbusting 74
    Reading Challenge 18/26
    Film Challenge 13/26[COLOR="Blue"]
    Weight Loss 1 2.2/9
    Weight Loss 2 3.0/9
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 52,079 Posts
    • 622,433 Thanks
    bubbs
    Talking of Mrs R she has been very quiet of late.
    Hope all is well Mrs R.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Yes been a couple of weeks i think?
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 4 1/2 lb
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 11th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 4,633 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    I have to say your eggs look perfect (I think that is the first time I have ever made that comment!!)
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Thank you. Poached eggs are my strength.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,830 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey, I hope its not snowing here.
    Hate hate hate it.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 11th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 29,421 Posts
    • 425,796 Thanks
    tweets
    Thanks for good wishes for mr greentiger. He!!!8217;s still feeling very sorry for himself (quite rightly too).

Also, I was thinking I!!!8217;d have to give up on my car too. I!!!8217;ve had it since it was new (7 years come May) and I!!!8217;ve never had a problem with it !!!8211; and I love it! But I just wonder what will be next if I were to keep it?

Great losses, Lioness, tweets and Abbafan. Well done, Sunshine and lucia.

It!!!8217;s snowing here again, bubbs!

Pity about the result, maman (and tweets, what happened there?). We got drawn away to Rangers in the cup quarter finals. Oh well. Expect the unexpected. To be honest, I!!!8217;m surprised we have got this far!

Come in, FredTheArmadillo.

Well lazy day here; still not done shopping but only a few syns over my allowance, I think. I!!!8217;ve been eating more often than usual to encourage DH to eat and drink. I am not looking forward to my appointment with the scales tomorrow.
    Originally posted by greentiger
    Ball didn't want to go into net
    Lost 3st-9lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 11th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 29,421 Posts
    • 425,796 Thanks
    tweets
    Heavy snow here grr stuck glad I am off work next week supposed to be a bad week weather wise
    Lost 3st-9lb
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 11th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 10,602 Posts
    • 20,098 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Yes been a couple of weeks i think?
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Hello! Yes sorry- I am still here!
    I am on my hols at the moment which is why I am quiet. Having a lovely time but I am going to have a lovely gain to match when I get back
    Take care all and I will be back online later in the week xxxx
    Last edited by Mrs_Ryan; 11-02-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English 75% complete Going back for round 2! BSc (Hons) Combined STEM 2018- Bring it on!
    Weight lost so far- 3 stone 3lb
    I Am Green And White Miss you JV and TW!
    Elle
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 11th Feb 18, 11:34 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 15,383 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Thanks, yes always put gravy on at the table
    Well done on your loss
    I make curry from that sauce
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Bit of a waste of gravy putting it on the table, prefer to have it on food
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • lightbulb0811
    • By lightbulb0811 12th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    lightbulb0811
    Morning everyone,
    I made chicken curry with the SW chippy curry sauce - I put onions, peppers and mushrooms in and it tasted quite good. I've one tub left, but not sure I'd buy it again.
    Plan for today is:
    B: All bran (HEB) Skyr yogurt with honey (1 syn) and berries
    L: Pasta salad with mixed beans
    D: Cottage pie with veg.

I've a pack of sensations poppadoms a hi-fi bar and fruit for snacks. Have a good day everyone x
    Save £12k in 2018 #90 £3818.48.03/£6000
    Sealed pot challenge #10 £115.16/200
    Weight Loss 14.5/60 lb challenge
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Feb 18, 9:02 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Here is this weeks chart

Well done GreysAnatomyFan on SOTW

*SOTW is the person who has lost most this week who also lost or maintained last week
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    The only place I could think of getting the kernels is Holland & Barrett so got 2kg for £4 ....so at 25g a go I think they’ll last me a while lol.

Didn’t know that they were high in protein but that would explain why I feel full after eating them.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

Asda sell popcorn kernels

Hello all, wonder if it's ok for me to join in?

I've done SW before, varying degrees of success until I discovered a couple of years ago I had an autoimmune condition connected to my thyroid - cue lots of fast weightloss without much effort. I've since had my thyroid removed and while I'm waiting to the meds to stabilise me, the weight has started to creep back on. I'm headed back to class on Tuesday but think this thread might help me to stay on track, you seem like a lovely lot xxx
    Originally posted by FredTheArmadillo

Welcome Fred. If you let me know what you want to lose by 4th March I will add you to this challenge
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Been offline for a few days, and you lot have been posting loads.

Been not on plan and feeling not great. Struggling with the reduction in pain relief with withdrawal symptoms, but determined to try and stick with the schedule and not lengthen it.

Got weigh in tomorrow, and plan to have 2 not too bad days to try and cancel out some of the damage

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - fruit and yogurt
    Lunch - noodles
    Dinner - chilli

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - none planned
    Syns - Cranberry juice (2.5), SF sauce (0.5)
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 38,621 Thanks
    joedenise
    Sorry to hear things aren't great for you at the moment Kathryn. All you can do is the best that you can. Your health is far more important than SW.

Congratulations GAF on being our SOTW. You've had brilliant losses in your first couple of weeks.

Today's plan:

B - Laughing Cow on toast; topped with tomato (was supposed to have been poached eggs on toast but they were a real mess so gave all of them to DH, LOL!)
    L - kedegree but without the boiled eggs!
    D - LO sausage & bacon cassoulet

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - Laughing Cow 2; sausage 1; may also have a hifi bar to make it up to 5 syns today

Have a good day everyone.

Denise
    • esmy
    • By esmy 12th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    esmy
    Morning all.

Thanks for the chart Kathryn - hope things start to look up for you very soon. Congratulations to Greysanatomy fan for SOTW

Ended yesterday on 6.5 syns so making up some of the weekend excess.
    Inspired by Bubbs I made some scotch eggs from veggie sausages that we weren't very keen on yesterday - family really liked them and they've been kind enough to leave me one for lunch....

So todays menu:
    B 1/2 grapefruit with 1/2 tsp sugar, boiled egg, 3 crispbreads
    L BNS soup, Scotch egg with salad
    D Sausage casserole from the freezer for me with veg, fish for OH
    Snacks Fruit, Alpen light or more crispbreads to make up HEB

It's all a bit sausage and egg today!
    Have a good day all.
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    Didn't get to post much yesterday and there have been loads of losses! Well done all!

Originally posted by greentiger
    We matched them in the first half but when they scored heads went down and second half we just gave up. MrKlopp deliberately rubbed our noses in it bringing on Saints players as subs. It must be really hard to play for a team that's given up on ambition. We're still in the cup too but unless we can lift the spirits it'll be a waste of time turning up.

Fortunately, it didn't turn me to drink and I only had a few gins last night. And I turned round the roast within the hour.

Bit of a waste of gravy putting it on the table, prefer to have it on food
    Originally posted by TakeItEazy
    I rarely serve up in the kitchen. It means that all the LOs in serving dishes are saved for my lunches. I really enjoy bubble & squeak with pickles.

Started today on 31 syns left in the bank for three days which is good for me. I don't need that many so should have a few left by Wednesday which I'll leave to offset guestimating milk.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage, HEA milk
    L: ham, LO veg, pickles
    D: baked haddock, potato/carrot/onion mash, tomatoes, mushrooms and broccoli
    Syns: 6 xtra HEB, 2 syrup, maybe 1 for some Parmesan on the mash.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 38,621 Thanks
    joedenise
    We've both had/having smoked haddock today Maman! Have to say the kedgeree wasn't as nice as I usually make. Just not as tasty as usual. Think I should have used my own curry spice mix rather than just using some out of the tub that's been sitting on the shelf for a while. Suspect it's losing its' flavour now. The best of it was the smoked haddock - I ate all the bits which were left in the pan after lunch - but binned the rest, just wasn't worth saving. I hate wasting food but no point in keeping something which we both disliked.

Denise
    • FredTheArmadillo
    • By FredTheArmadillo 12th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    FredTheArmadillo
    Well done to all the losers!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Have my first class tomorrow, back to my old group and consultant (who is absolutely fab) so will start plan properly on Wednesday. Not sure my thyroid meds are quite right yet but I'll give it my best .

Quick question - SW Iceland meals - these didn't exist the last time i did plan, are they worth buying or are you better to try and cook from scratch? They seem like a handy thing to have for the days when you're not in the mood for cooking but don't want to stock the freezer up if they're horrid!
    • tweets
    • By tweets 12th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 29,421 Posts
    • 425,796 Thanks
    tweets
    Poppy dog on her morning walk today

Lost 3st-9lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 12th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 29,421 Posts
    • 425,796 Thanks
    tweets
    Well done to all the losers!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Have my first class tomorrow, back to my old group and consultant (who is absolutely fab) so will start plan properly on Wednesday. Not sure my thyroid meds are quite right yet but I'll give it my best .

Quick question - SW Iceland meals - these didn't exist the last time i did plan, are they worth buying or are you better to try and cook from scratch? They seem like a handy thing to have for the days when you're not in the mood for cooking but don't want to stock the freezer up if they're horrid!
    Originally posted by FredTheArmadillo
    Its a preffered taste with the SW meals I have tried most of them not pasta ones don't like pasta. Some are ok and others yuk.

I would try a few and see if you like them sausages are yuk .

Others will be along with their views
    Lost 3st-9lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

3,953Users online

Martin's Twitter