Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,161Posts
    • 11,639Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
Page 77
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 15,982 Posts
    • 193,223 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Morning all

Didn't make the Tiramisu after all. Might make it today. Stuck to plan yesterday; drank loads of water and lo and behold, this morning I had a LOSS of 3LB. One more pound to my first stone and 7lb to 10%.
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    Fabulous, well done, it may be best that you did not make the Tiramisu!

I have ate like a total oink all week, and am amazed I have lost 1 lb.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 54,098 Posts
    • 214,530 Thanks
    beanielou

Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Good news on the 1 lb
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th Feb 18, 10:37 AM
    • 15,982 Posts
    • 193,223 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Good news on the 1 lb
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I am amazed, as I have really eaten solidly for a week...
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 11th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    well done
    I am making scotch eggs and quiche today
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Look forward to the photos

Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Well done - just goes to show the even when you think all hope of a loss is gone our bodies can surprise us!

Breakfast this morning - homemade sausage roll, bacon medallions, tomatoes, mushrooms and poached eggs.

Last edited by Lioness Twinkletoes; 11-02-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 11th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 2,892 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Well done folk: beanie, Barley, esmy, p00hsticks, gts, lightbulb, Grey, Nicki, Ssm and lioness

I went to see fifty shades of grey last night with oh. Well he is at the mo but unless he sorts his drinking and gambling out I can't see it lasting much longer. I think I'm having one of them weeks as services are being cut at work so might have to start looking at jobs again which is ashame as I do enjoy working where I do.

Film wasn't bad, wasn't one I'd watch again tbh but was in the theme of the other two (to be fair I'd not read the books but did enjoy it).

Food today:

Breakfast: weetabix and apple
    Dinner: minced beef, onions, sweet peppers, spring onions and might have a sweet pepper with it.
    Tea: ham with sweet potato chips and mushy peas if I can get a tin from the corner shop
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd -> target 11 st 7lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 11th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Hi all,

I'm counting a STS this week as I don't really trust the -0.5 pound loss the scales registered. Will see where I am next week, feel that at least it seems to be going in the right direction after my loss last week.
    Wednesday I have a meal out but venue is a surprise so can't check menu in advance. Hm, not sure I'll be able to stick to plan that night. Have been sticking rigidly to plan this last week and hopefully the coming week (except Wednesday) will be fine. Also been running again too

Thanks as ever to everyone here for the inspiration! And well done on all the losses as STS
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 5,140 Posts
    • 38,336 Thanks
    joedenise
    Some good losses again this week. Well done everyone.

Lovely day here today - really bright but very cold. It's windy and I've changed the beds this morning and everything is almost dry in less than 2 hours!

Today's SP plan:

B - bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes
    L - thai style butternut squash soup
    D - sausage & bacon cassoulet - 4 syns for the lot but there is enough for at least 4-6 portions so 1 syn per portion. It's got sausages, bacon, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, mixed beans, cannellini beans, tin tomatoes, all cooking in the slow cooker now! Will add some mushrooms & spinach about an hour or so before the end.

Will make some baked oats with mixed frozen fruit for pudding (HEB1)

Didn't realise it was an SP day until I was writing everything down so extra HEB today which is why I decided to do the baked oats for pudding!

HEA - milk
    HEB1 - oats
    HEB2 - not sure - maybe 3 Rye cakes or 2 crackers + hifi bar
    Syns - sausage cassoulet 1; laughing cow 1; not sure what else but will make sure I have at least 5 today
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 17,930 Posts
    • 107,323 Thanks
    maman
    Well done on your losses lioness and ssm.

If I were you I'd try to go low syn or syn free leading up to your meal out on Wednesday catty. You could enjoy your Sunday and still have 45 syns saved by Wednesday, more if you are careful at the end of the week too.

We've got football again today at 4.30 p.m just so we can worship the great god Sky. Just hoping for damage limitation as it's Saints v Saints All Stars! I'm determined to have my roast this evening though so I'm cooking the meat now and will have everything else prepped before we go.

I've been eating rye bread for my HEB until I finished the last loaf in the freezer a couple of days ago. DH hasn't caught up so he's now giving me a single, small slice of wholemeal for breakfast. I'm saying nothing as it meant that last night I could enjoy a cherry Alpen with a cuppa.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, half HEB toast, 2 boiled eggs
    L: JP with veggie chilli, beetroot and cottage cheese
    D: lamb with SW roasties and masses of Speed veg
    Syns: HM gravy 4? booze?
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 5,140 Posts
    • 38,336 Thanks
    joedenise
    Hi all,

I'm counting a STS this week as I don't really trust the -0.5 pound loss the scales registered. Will see where I am next week, feel that at least it seems to be going in the right direction after my loss last week.
    Wednesday I have a meal out but venue is a surprise so can't check menu in advance. Hm, not sure I'll be able to stick to plan that night. Have been sticking rigidly to plan this last week and hopefully the coming week (except Wednesday) will be fine. Also been running again too

Thanks as ever to everyone here for the inspiration! And well done on all the losses as STS
    Originally posted by CattyCatX
    You could have a flexiday on Wednesday or alternatively have less syns on other days and work to 105 syns for the week. Quite a few of us do the latter as prefer to have extra syns over the weekend!

Denise
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 51,744 Posts
    • 620,376 Thanks
    bubbs
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh my
    The scotch eggs look divine

burgers made and in freezer

quiche made
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 4 1/2 lb
    • esmy
    • By esmy 11th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 4,043 Thanks
    esmy
    Afternoon all and well done losers!

All was going well yesterday till an incident involving gingernuts last night...never mind, back on it today

Todays menu
    B Bran flakes, berries, 0% fat greek yoghurt and honey
    L HM BNS and lentil spicy soup, small ham salad with LTL mayo, orange
    D Chicken and veg stirfry with noodles, might use a packet sauce which will be a couple of syns extra

DD made some cheese and onion pasties with wraps yesterday - had a taste and they were lovely! I haven't eaten pastry in over a year but will definitely have a go at wrap 'pies'. To anyone who makes them, what fillings do you put in them?

Bubbs your quiches always look fabulous, so much better than mine. How many eggs do you use?
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 51,744 Posts
    • 620,376 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all and well done losers!

All was going well yesterday till an incident involving gingernuts last night...never mind, back on it today

Todays menu
    B Bran flakes, berries, 0% fat greek yoghurt and honey
    L HM BNS and lentil spicy soup, small ham salad with LTL mayo, orange
    D Chicken and veg stirfry with noodles, might use a packet sauce which will be a couple of syns extra

DD made some cheese and onion pasties with wraps yesterday - had a taste and they were lovely! I haven't eaten pastry in over a year but will definitely have a go at wrap 'pies'. To anyone who makes them, what fillings do you put in them?

Bubbs your quiches always look fabulous, so much better than mine. How many eggs do you use?
    Originally posted by esmy
    An incident with ginger nuts
    9 eggs today, usually 8 or 9, i dont use quark or cottage cheese or milk, just the fillings , egg and salt & pepper
    I made pies used 5% minced beef, onions and mushrooms, have used braising steak cubed onions and mushrooms, but i always cook and let go cold then put it in , these were minced beef i made this week, i have not had pastry in 47 weeks either
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • tweets
    • By tweets 11th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 424,336 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Afternoon

Well done to all the losers

Lost 2.5 lbs
    Lost 3st-6lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 11th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 51,744 Posts
    • 620,376 Thanks
    bubbs
    Good Afternoon

Lost 2.5 lbs
    Originally posted by tweets
    well done tweets and good afternoon
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 54,098 Posts
    • 214,530 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good Afternoon

Lost 2.5 lbs
    Great loss tweets

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 54,098 Posts
    • 214,530 Thanks
    beanielou
    Bubbs~~Scotch eggs look just fabarooni

Bright sunny but cold here today~~very bracing!!

***Keep plodding***
    • FredTheArmadillo
    • By FredTheArmadillo 11th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    FredTheArmadillo
    Hello all, wonder if it's ok for me to join in?

I've done SW before, varying degrees of success until I discovered a couple of years ago I had an autoimmune condition connected to my thyroid - cue lots of fast weightloss without much effort. I've since had my thyroid removed and while I'm waiting to the meds to stabilise me, the weight has started to creep back on. I'm headed back to class on Tuesday but think this thread might help me to stay on track, you seem like a lovely lot xxx
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 5,140 Posts
    • 38,336 Thanks
    joedenise
    Welcome Fred - hope you don't mind my shortening your name!

Of course you can join us, everybody is welcome.

As you've probably seen lots of us post our menus each day which helps keep us on track a bit better! I'm a target member and have been for about 6 years, although currently 0.5lb over target range which I'm hoping to shift this week before my holiday next week!

Good luck.

Denise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 54,098 Posts
    • 214,530 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hello all, wonder if it's ok for me to join in?

I've done SW before, varying degrees of success until I discovered a couple of years ago I had an autoimmune condition connected to my thyroid - cue lots of fast weightloss without much effort. I've since had my thyroid removed and while I'm waiting to the meds to stabilise me, the weight has started to creep back on. I'm headed back to class on Tuesday but think this thread might help me to stay on track, you seem like a lovely lot xxx
    Originally posted by FredTheArmadillo
    Welcome to MSE & to our lovely thread
    We are indeed a lovely buch.
    You will get lots of support here.

***Keep plodding***
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 15,982 Posts
    • 193,223 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Look forward to the photos

Well done - just goes to show the even when you think all hope of a loss is gone our bodies can surprise us!

Breakfast this morning - homemade sausage roll, bacon medallions, tomatoes, mushrooms and poached eggs.

Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes

Sacrilege ....... get that sausage roll out of the tomato sauce, it will make the lovely crunchy pastry soft! I have to say your eggs look perfect (I think that is the first time I have ever made that comment!!)

Good Afternoon

Lost 2.5 lbs
    Well done tweets, you are doing fabulous.

Welcome Fred.

Not sure what beanie is on about.... lovely bunch.....they encourage you to stop putting food in your mouth...

Welcome to MSE & to our lovely thread
    We are indeed a lovely buch.
    You will get lots of support here.
    Originally posted by beanielou
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

553Posts Today

5,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin