Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,165Posts
    • 11,642Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
Page 24
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 9th Jan 18, 10:48 PM
    • 16,101 Posts
    • 193,899 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Dusty, at times like this, it is best to take one day at a time, and if roasties make you feel better then have them.

James Smith said to weigh yourself once a month at the same part of your cycle. Well I think my cycle is 32 weeks long! lol

Oooh and I am still in a position of winding OH up, but he is getting on my nerves so I know I must be hormonal.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th Jan 18, 12:38 AM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    At SW today, 6 new members returned with their fabulous first week results,4lbs,5 lbs and biggest loser an incredible 10 lbs.Target members who slipped a little over Xmas all got back into target range,several returning members lost several pounds too.Whole group lost 77 lbs They havent even been announcing numbers for at least 6 months,thats how bad it got with our old consultant.
    So guess who disgraced herself,the only person among 25 in class who put on weight?
    Yep,I put on 1/2 lb.And was surprised it wasnt more.
    Last week was the first anniversary of my sister's death. Just seems to have hit me really hard. I keep thinking about how I am the last remaining person in my generation of our family,made me feel somehow lonely,despite having a big family of my own.Its only a month since I had a bad week remembering the death anniversaries of my mother,brother and sister within a 4 day period.Struggling with depression,butterflies in the stomach like being at the dentist,before the head or at a difficult interview.Barely eating,but when I do its rarely speed foods,its stuffing myself with my fave roasties!. Never opened the book or planned a meal. I'm sitting here feeling as if I am going to be sick,or will burst into tears,but I am going to have a nice comforting cup of hot choc(heaven knows how many syns,cant be bothered even to check.)Then I'll have a hot bath and try for a decent night's sleep,(had no more than 4 sporadic hours for several days) .
    I couldnt share this with anyone in SW class,but I'm glad to share the burden with you. I am determined to get back up from tomorrow to try to get back on track. Normally a 1/2 gain wouldn't bother me much,I tend to look at results over a month,trying for a steady 4 lbs a month overall. But today being so low and being the only person to gain weight was very demoralising indeed
    Originally posted by dustydigger
    I know how you feel, we lost nan and my aunty within 4 months last year. It's hit us both hard, esp mum. As we're not a big family either, dads side is but on mums there's just the two of us.

Hugs tho and you know we're all here. You'll get that half pound off and the rest, just take it easy as grieving can take a long time
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd sw 14 st 12lbs Fri15/6/18 -> 0 weeks -0lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th Jan 18, 12:40 AM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Hugs beanie too - you'll have to make lasting memories with them

Well done Kathryna too and all the losers
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd sw 14 st 12lbs Fri15/6/18 -> 0 weeks -0lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 10th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Yep,I put on 1/2 lb.And was surprised it wasnt more.
    Last week was the first anniversary of my sister's death. Just seems to have hit me really hard. I keep thinking about how I am the last remaining person in my generation of our family,made me feel somehow lonely,despite having a big family of my own.Its only a month since I had a bad week remembering the death anniversaries of my mother,brother and sister within a 4 day period.Struggling with depression,butterflies in the stomach like being at the dentist,before the head or at a difficult interview.Barely eating,but when I do its rarely speed foods,its stuffing myself with my fave roasties!. Never opened the book or planned a meal. I'm sitting here feeling as if I am going to be sick,or will burst into tears,but I am going to have a nice comforting cup of hot choc(heaven knows how many syns,cant be bothered even to check.)Then I'll have a hot bath and try for a decent night's sleep,(had no more than 4 sporadic hours for several days) .
    I couldnt share this with anyone in SW class,but I'm glad to share the burden with you. I am determined to get back up from tomorrow to try to get back on track. Normally a 1/2 gain wouldn't bother me much,I tend to look at results over a month,trying for a steady 4 lbs a month overall. But today being so low and being the only person to gain weight was very demoralising indeed
    Originally posted by dustydigger

Massive hugs hun. Loss of a sibling is absolutely terrible. October was the 8th anniversary of me losing my brother, and I still find it hard every year. Don't feel guilty for how you feel. It is normal, and you need to allow yourself time. It is something you don't get over, you get used to it and learn to live with it, and you will keep having set backs. Here for you if you need to talk.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 10th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Start of a new week for me, and determined to have a good one, before I end up being fed NHS food, and being able to do nowt.

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - porridge and fruit
    Lunch - noodles
    Dinner - Italian chicken

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - oats
    Syns - 2 in noodles
    • lightbulb0811
    • By lightbulb0811 10th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    lightbulb0811
    How big is the bag of Sensations?
    Originally posted by VALM
    It's 13g (tiny) and 64 cals
    Save £12k in 2018 #90 £3818.48.03/£6000
    Sealed pot challenge #10 £115.16/200
    Weight Loss 14.5/60 lb challenge
    • lightbulb0811
    • By lightbulb0811 10th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    lightbulb0811
    Morning, reading and running as usual, but well done on the losses and STS:
    Plan for today:
    B: Porridge & Fruit (HEA and HEB)
    L: Tuna Pasta Salad
    D: Home made Chilli and Rice.

Fruit and muller for snacks and another bag of Sensations from the multi-pack :-) Another gym class tonight so fingers crossed I get a loss on Saturday - my aim is 2lbs but more would be great. Have a good day everyone x
    Save £12k in 2018 #90 £3818.48.03/£6000
    Sealed pot challenge #10 £115.16/200
    Weight Loss 14.5/60 lb challenge
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 10th Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Actually slimming world hasn't had a penny of my money as I bought the books off eBay. And believe me I tried and tried for years - done many fitness DVDs, followed low fat, low calories and the rest since I was 12. Even 2 years ago before going to Oz I was doing 3 days at the gym for 6 months - went down to 14 stone 7 I think it was and then put it all back on and a bit more then decided to give this a try and 6 months later I'm 3 stone lower, eating better and enjoying what I'm eating and a lot better for it. It might not be for everyone, but it's certainly helped a heck of a lot of people. Surely if it helps people to lose weight for good (like many on here too) it's not a bad thing
    Originally posted by dawyldthing
    What makes you think that it makes people lose weight for good? I think there was a Channel 4 documentary last year that stated that 85% of people who lose weight from fad diets and programmes put the weight back on within 3-5 years.

They even used a former Slimming World 'Slimmer of the Year' as an example, who came on to state that after losing a monumental amount of weight, it all got put on again within a short period of time. Why didnt Slimming World publicise this if they basked in all the glory from her original weight loss?

All that effort and expense for nothing when the most effective way to lose weight is not really to change much at all....

Eat what you want but a bit less of it and do a bit more exercise. This sounds really boring in comparison to reading about a man/woman who has gone on this glossy programme to lose weight but in the latter case this is actually just the extreme exception to the rule.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 10th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    NineDeuce, if you wish to discuss the in-and-outs of the Slimming World plan along with other weight loss plans and tools and their effectiveness may I suggest you start a separate thread.
    The title of this thread says it is a support thread. Please respect that
    • VALM
    • By VALM 10th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 37,901 Thanks
    VALM
    It's 13g (tiny) and 64 cals
    Originally posted by lightbulb0811
    Worth noting. I had a little faux pas with my syns last night. We bought some Heck pork squares on clearance. When I looked on the Syns Calculator after (!) eating them it looks like they are 6 syns each!! I had also by then posted them on our SW FB page! Oh well.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 10th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 30,694 Thanks
    XSpender
    Can I join in please if it is not too late to join the challenge for the next 3 months?

I want to lose a stone by early June when I have a girls holiday in Spain so will go for 7lb by the end of March.

I attended a local group for about 3 months last year (Aug-Oct) and lost 7.5lbs but have come off plan and eaten rubbish so have put 5lb back on. I am going to have a go at doing it myself until the end of Jan to begin with.

DH and I went to group together and we may join a different group in Feb as we didn't feel that the Consultant was that good. If she was asked a question or you raised an issue she would ask the group for input without volunteering her own or the programmes advice and some of my questions were around a gluten free diet or how to stick to plan when travelling extensively with work which the group of lovely older ladies couldn't really help with. I did pick up a recipe for veggie pakoras though which are gorgeous.

DH and I are raising money for WaterAid by drinking only water for 4 weeks which seems to be helping DH weight loss but I have been replacing a nice cup of tea with Christmas chocs

I also have committed to run 500 miles this year but haven't put on my trainers once since September so need to start moving a bit more and working the body magic.

I have started back on plan today and have planned/eaten:

B-GF fibre cereal, 30 ml skimmed milk, hot water and lemon
    L-Omelette - 3 eggs, 30g cheese, ham, with lettuce, carrot, beetroot, cucumber and salad cream
    D-SW Veggie burger, HM SW potato skins (with some of the 30g of cheese), peas, corn and BBQ Sauce
    Snacks - Apple, banana, toffee muller lite, red and green grapes
    Syns - Salad cream (1), Milk(0.5), BBQ sauce (1)

Some sys available if I cant resist the heroes later
    Action Plan Part 1 - Clear First 3 Balances
    Target Debt Lloyds (Me) Part 1 £666.22/£0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 1 £1176.49/£0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 2 £1038/£970
    Big black hole of debt - £53,515.15 @ 16.12.17 £52,811.64 @ 28.02.18, £50,638.77 @ 28.03.18, £49,778.78 @ 20.04.18, £46,093.32 @ 18.05.18, £47,401.24 @ 21.06.18
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 10th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Welcome XSpender. Never too late to join a challenge. I have added you to the spreadsheet
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 10th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 39,774 Thanks
    Caterina
    Got a stinking cold so no WI today. I am quite surprised and disappointed that SW don't accept sickness or hols on the countdowns. After all they have my money 6 weeks in advance! Never mind, found a Friday am. class not too far from here so will go there if I feel well enough.

Not renewing my countdown, Friday is my last day of the 6 weeks. Will just stay away for a few weeks and rejoin on a free membership in February. I have a list of mags that do free membership specials somewhere. If I find it I'll copy it here. Especially as there is going to be a book giveaway offer with a countdown in the near future.

Edited to say: ARGHHH sadly I seem to have lost the SW free membership mag list! If anyone knows of a mag doing this offer towards end January to 6th Feb I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
    Last edited by Caterina; 10-01-2018 at 4:45 PM.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 10th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 15,623 Thanks
    greentiger
    Welcome, XSpender, and good luck.

Breakfast: banana
    Lunch: Today wasn!!!8217;t good, but I was aware of my guardian angels keeping an eye on me. I forgot to take my specs with me and the menu was huge, so I went with my friends!!!8217; picks. One chose a burger and chips, the other chose a roast beef baguette. NO! I did NOT have both! I chose the baguette, ate just half of the bread (which was delicious) and ate the rest of the meat with the salad - I tasted mustard dressing on that. I only had half of the small pot of fries. NO sweet stuff apart from the wee bit of shortbread that came with the tea afterwards. It might not be great, but I was much more restrained than usual.
    Dinner: ham salad hexb sandwich, clementine, apple
    Snack: hexa cheese & grapes
    Stashbusting 74
    Reading Challenge 18/26
    Film Challenge 13/26[COLOR="Blue"]
    Weight Loss 1 2.2/9
    Weight Loss 2 3.0/9
    • ruby_eskimo
    • By ruby_eskimo 10th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 12,554 Thanks
    ruby_eskimo
    Evening everyone! Just popping in to say hello, well done on the losses everyone and hugs to those that need them; January is a strange time of year.

Went to a conference yesterday and stayed 100% on plan; the food was really good - lots of salad bits, lean meat and fresh fruit. Even had an on plan nandos on the way home.

Today has been a nightmare at work but I don't want to really dwell on it. Taking all my energy to not face plant the box of ferrero rocher in the cupboard.

B - Porridge (HEB) with almond milk (2 syns), pear, cinnamon
    L - HM Lentil Soup (lentils, carrots, onion, spinach)
    D - Jacket potato with beans and cheese (HEA), salad
    S - Christmas truffle (5 syns)
    Emergency Fund - £0 / £5,000 :: Decluttering - 0 / 1095
    Sealed Pot 2018 #24 :: VSP #29 - £0:: NSD 2018 - 6 / 200 Weight Loss: 44.6 / 58lbs January GC - £109/ £200
    Engaged 9th December 2010 Married 29th October 2015
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 10th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 7,752 Posts
    • 27,687 Thanks
    Nicki
    Can anyone help me with the syns for the "San Fran super salad" from Giraffe please? I had it with chicken as it looked the best thing on the menu (didn't want to go for the steak as it was a lot more expensive than everyone else was choosing) but no idea how many syns to allow. It was basically veg, quinoa, pomegranate seeds and grilled chicken with a dressing which I suspect was oil based.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 10th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Can anyone help me with the syns for the "San Fran super salad" from Giraffe please? I had it with chicken as it looked the best thing on the menu (didn't want to go for the steak as it was a lot more expensive than everyone else was choosing) but no idea how many syns to allow. It was basically veg, quinoa, pomegranate seeds and grilled chicken with a dressing which I suspect was oil based.
    Originally posted by Nicki
    Can't find it in the app, but it sounds like it was all free apart from the dressing. Do you have any idea on quantity of dressing? If so I would just syn it as an oily dressing.

Sounds like a good choice from what you had though.
    • happy35
    • By happy35 10th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 2,892 Thanks
    happy35
    Just joined sw this week, please can you put me down for 7lbs
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 10th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 7,752 Posts
    • 27,687 Thanks
    Nicki
    Can't find it in the app, but it sounds like it was all free apart from the dressing. Do you have any idea on quantity of dressing? If so I would just syn it as an oily dressing.

Sounds like a good choice from what you had though.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    It was a bowl of salad the size of a cereal bowl so I can't imagine they could have used more than 2 tbsp of dressing if that. So maybe 5 syns would cover it?
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 10th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 52,065 Posts
    • 622,390 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Welcome to the newbies, if you have any questions i am sure someone will be able to help x
    Dusty , don't be hard on yourself, take time to get your head back in a good place xx
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 4 1/2 lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,111Users online

Martin's Twitter