Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,165Posts
    • 11,642Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
Page 19
    • esmy
    • By esmy 7th Jan 18, 11:34 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    esmy
    It sounds like you had a wonderful day MrsR - you must be very proud.
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 8th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 15,619 Thanks
    greentiger
    Congrats on loss, tweets.

Enjoy your great footie result, dawyldthing. You can borrow our unofficial motto !!!8211; expect the unexpected.

Glad you got to see your player!!!8217;s debut, Mrs_R. Shame about the result !!!9785; I!!!8217;m sure Mr_R understood you had to be there.

I!!!8217;ve had an ok day, although not the best syn wise.

Breakfast: hm granola (7), ff Greek yogurt
    Lunch: hexb sandwich with salad, roasted red peppers and part hexa 2 triangles laughing cow light cheese
    Dinner: roast beef, gravy (1), SW roasties, cauliflower and carrots followed by stewed (with sweetener) rhubarb sprinkled with a little granola (5) and baked, topped with ff Greek yogurt
    Snack: 2 cream crackers (4), part hexa 1 triangle Dairylea and sliced tomatoes

WI tomorrow so fingers and toes crossed.
    Stashbusting 74
    Reading Challenge 18/26
    Film Challenge 13/26[COLOR="Blue"]
    Weight Loss 1 2.2/9
    Weight Loss 2 3.0/9
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Here is this weeks chart

Some brilliant losses, but no SOTW, as everyone that has lost either didn't weigh or gained the week before.

GettingThereSometime I haven't got a target weight for you for this challenge. Also do you want your little gain to be in the spreadsheet, or down as a holiday so you can start with a clean sheet like a few others have?
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    New week, and the weekend went very bad for me. For once not me being ill, just everyone around me, so I've spent the weekend looking after everyone, hospital visiting and stuff, and had to resort to takeaways

But the weekends happened, and today is a new week, but not an easy start to it. At the hospital later for a scan and consultant appointment. Fingers crossed for good news, and hopefully an operation date.

So today's plan:
    Breakfast - porridge and fruit
    Lunch/Snacks - fruit, wotsits, cereal bars
    Dinner - chicken casserole in the slow cooker

HA - milk
    HB - oats
    Syns - definitely
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 8th Jan 18, 8:00 AM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 4,632 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Morning all

I can report a loss of 2lb today. I must admit I am a little disappointed as I'd hoped for more, given that it's the first week. However, it has actually only been 6 days and it's TOTM so let's see what next Monday brings.

Staying firmly on plan today:

B - Overnight oats with a teaspoon of honey (1 syn)
    L - Chicken salad with balsamic glaze (1 syn)
    D - Bolognese with pasta and a little cheese (6 syns)
    S - Fruit

HEX A - milk
    HEX B - Oats

Total of 8 syns

Have a great day

PS Great news, Mrs_R!!!
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I can report a loss of 2lb today. I must admit I am a little disappointed as I'd hoped for more, given that it's the first week. However, it has actually only been 6 days and it's TOTM so let's see what next Monday brings.
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    Well done on the loss.
    2lb really isn't bad for a 6 day week especially when it's TOTM. I can vary by up to 7lb across a month because of hormones.
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 8th Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 7,752 Posts
    • 27,687 Thanks
    Nicki
    4lb loss for me today.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    4lb loss for me today.
    Originally posted by Nicki
    Brilliant loss. Well done.
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 8th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Best of luck at the hospital today KATHRYNHA. I hope you get the date for your op. Be careful there and out and about generally, so much illness around especially this awful flu. I hope those around you who are ill don!!!8217;t have it.

Yesterday I ate everything and anything at a family dinner. Discovered Aldi biscuit selection. Oh my goodness, the nicest I have tasted in ages. I!!!8217;ve actually just discovered Aldi before Christmas for the first time. I will look out for those benefit bars that MAMAN and BUBBS mentioned. Are they a HEB each? Any other good finds there??

I will really have to pull things back for the rest of the week. I did have a lot of speed yesterday but doesn!!!8217;t think it will counteract all the other stuff!

Good luck all for a positive week. Lovely to hear everyone!!!8217;s news and progress.
    Weight loss 2017/2018 - 47 lbs
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 8th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    PS KATHRYN thanks for the chart as always x
    Weight loss 2017/2018 - 47 lbs
    • lightbulb0811
    • By lightbulb0811 8th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    lightbulb0811
    Morning everyone,
    Today's plan is:
    B: porridge and berries
    L: Baked potato, fat free cottage cheese and salad
    D: Home made Chicken Saag.

HEA is milk and HEB porridge. Fruit and muller for snacks and I've got a bag of sensations popadoms too. Rushing off as in work - have a good day everyone x
    Save £12k in 2018 #90 £3818.48.03/£6000
    Sealed pot challenge #10 £115.16/200
    Weight Loss 14.5/60 lb challenge
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Best of luck at the hospital today KATHRYNHA. I hope you get the date for your op. Be careful there and out and about generally, so much illness around especially this awful flu. I hope those around you who are ill don’t have it.
    Originally posted by Moneysaverme
    Thanks, and that's definitely what 2 around me have. The flu jab no good for the strain, and my immune system is naff at the moment. Been trying to care from a distance, with packages left just inside the door, and stuff.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 8th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    esmy
    Morning all.

Here's hoping for good news for you today Kathryn and a swift recovery for all your 'poorlies'. I've one here but luckily she's a good patient!

Good losses Nicki and Lioness - well done!

Moneysaverme, I'm a confirmed Aldi shopper as are others here. I think there was a bit of a row recently about the Benefit bars and whether they're a HEB - others may know the up to date situation. I have an odd addiction to Cherry Bakewell Alpen Lights....

My favourites are the 0% fat greek yoghurt for cereals and an acceptable alternative for dressings, sour cream etc, the 4 packs of 0% fat Greek yoghurts, lemon and strawb are free, reduced fat sausages in the chiller (1.5 syns each), 5% fat beef mince, lamb rogan josh (1.5 syns) as a ready meal, far nicer IMO than the SW ready meals, the Super Six fruit and veg which changes every 2 weeks, I could go on!! If you do a search for Aldi slimming world, there are several lists of free and low syn foods on various sites.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha

Moneysaverme, I'm a confirmed Aldi shopper as are others here. I think there was a bit of a row recently about the Benefit bars and whether they're a HEB - others may know the up to date situation. I have an odd addiction to Cherry Bakewell Alpen Lights....
    Originally posted by esmy
    According to the app at the moment 2 bars are a HB for all 3 flavours.
    • gingerfurball
    • By gingerfurball 8th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 2,168 Thanks
    gingerfurball
    Hopefully I'm not too late for the chart...we had a hectic weekend - will update weight then go back and read through the thread (drama includes MIL being rushed to hospital with a suspected stroke - but I'll come back to that)

Weighed in Saturday with a 1 lb loss

Going back to catch up in a wee minute x
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 8th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 11,642 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Hopefully I'm not too late for the chart...we had a hectic weekend - will update weight then go back and read through the thread (drama includes MIL being rushed to hospital with a suspected stroke - but I'll come back to that)

Weighed in Saturday with a 1 lb loss

Going back to catch up in a wee minute x
    Originally posted by gingerfurball

Well done on the loss. I've updated the chart. I won't change the one above, but next weeks one will be correct.

Hope your MIL is okay
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 10,602 Posts
    • 20,097 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hi all
    Thanks so much for all your kind words
    Just weighed in with a -4lb
    That!!!8217;s the Xmas gain gone- plus I!!!8217;m now lighter than before Xmas
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English 75% complete Going back for round 2! BSc (Hons) Combined STEM 2018- Bring it on!
    Weight lost so far- 3 stone 3lb
    I Am Green And White Miss you JV and TW!
    Elle
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 3,714 Posts
    • 9,199 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Think I'm officially big boned of the week lol but well done to all the losers.

Thanks for the chart Kathrynha - could you put me down for 22lbs ? This will then then get me to my target - the thought of having a holiday is tempting but that's what I got to lose so I might as well be honest about it.

Went to the cinema to see Star Wars - can't work out if my attention span is decreasing or it was too long but more than once I looked at my watch to see how much longer it had to run.

Good news was that, for some reason, there was no popcorn to be had but I took a hifi bar and a bottle of diet coke so temptation from the beer was well out of the window.

Just checked the app and the cereal benefit bars are showing as a heb for 2 bars.

Decided today to have 20g of cereal rather than the 40g as I found I was uncomfortable after eating that amount - with it I had the yogurt bur also had some defrosted raspberries and to be honest even that was too much. It does mean I can have a hifi bar tonight as the other half of my heb.

Lunch is going to be the usual veg and meat combo and tonight hubby is cooking a curry so that should be SW friendly.

Got my fruit for snacks so I should be OK provided hubby keeps away from the crisps!
    Last edited by gettingtheresometime; 08-01-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 8th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Thanks for the warm welcome to the group! First WI for me later, so will report back!! Don't feel like I've lost any inches or anything as all clothes still as tight as ever but it's only the first week and I definitely feel like my energy levels have improved and I'm sleeping better so I guess that's success of a kind! Will see what the scales have in store..
    Last edited by CattyCatX; 08-01-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    Good to see losses coming in. I think you must have such willpower to have a Monday WI. I always need time to recover after the weekend. to MrsR, and gfb, nicki and lioness.

Thanks, and that's definitely what 2 around me have. The flu jab no good for the strain, and my immune system is naff at the moment. Been trying to care from a distance, with packages left just inside the door, and stuff.
    Originally posted by kathrynha

I shouldn't smile but it does sound like the plague in 1665! Hope you get positive news at the hospital.

Like esmy, I'm an Aldi convert. I've only recently started eating yogurt and I like the 0% Greek in a big tub which is just like Total but much cheaper. I have it as an evening snack with either red fruits or occasionally a pear.

We enjoyed the LM 'stuffing balls' with last night's dinner. Strangely, they tasted more like sausages and less herby than normal which was odd. If you like pigs in blankets with a roast then you'd enjoy these. I notice they're on offer in both Sainsbury's and Waitrose at the moment although even then they can be more expensive than some meat.

DH is out at dinner time tonight but as I had a fry up this morning I won't have my favourite egg and chips.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB toast, HEA milk, fried egg, tomatoes, mushrooms, ham
    L: ham with fried LO veg and pickles
    D: roast chicken, SW chips, beetroot
    Syns: NONE!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

7,942Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin