Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,161Posts
    • 11,639Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 31st Dec 17, 4:01 PM
    Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 31st Dec 17 at 4:01 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
Page 15
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 5th Jan 18, 5:06 AM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I still am waiting for mother nature - now late by a fair bit. OH is sweating like a pig.... my stomach is blowing up, so I am panicking now!
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Thanks
    Oh my sure you are not starting the change?
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Aarrrr congratulations might be in order then
    Originally posted by dawyldthing
    I should add that I am 48.... hence the strong oppositional view.
    I think at 48 the change is more likely. Before I got ill and the medication has totally changed my periods to make them even worse (major part of my iron problems), I was starting to head towards the change, and some months I would do the full pmt, bloating, sore breasts, spots, etc, and then no bleeding, and it would all calm down, and the next month I would have a totally normal period
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 5th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Hospital day today, but I'm hoping to be home by lunchtime if all goes to plan, so no excuse to be bad,

Today's plan for me:
    Breakfast - yogurt and fruit
    Lunch - Naked noodles
    Dinner - chilli

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - cereal bars in case I'm held up at hospital
    Syns - not synning the naked noodles, as it's what I've always had after hospital, I won't feel like cooking owt, and I only have 1 or 2 a week
    • lightbulb0811
    • By lightbulb0811 5th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    lightbulb0811
    Morning

Well done on the weight loss and STS. I recently transferred over from online to group but still waiting for my vouchers. Hopefully they'll arrive today so I can go to class tomorrow, but I'll weigh in at home if they don't. The plan for today is:
    B: Porridge (HEB & HEA for milk) and berries
    L: Chicken Salad which has a basil dressing - 4 syns
    D: Salmon Pasta salad.

Fruit and Muller as snacks.
    Have a good day everyone x
    Save £12k in 2018 #90 £3818.48.03/£6000
    Sealed pot challenge #10 £115.16/200
    Weight Loss 14.5/60 lb challenge
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 5th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    • 6,250 Posts
    • 6,707 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Beanie and Jay, I'll put you both down as holiday weeks
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    Me too please kathryna - I'm away this week and not able to weigh.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 5th Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    esmy
    Morning all.

1.5 off for this week. That's a good loss for me and it hasn't been a full week either so I'm pleased with that.

Caterina I tend to use syns for extra carbs or a second HEB, or adding flavours to my cooking - extra fats I can manage without. Hope all goes to plan at the hospital, Kathryn, and you feel a bit better afterwards.
    • BarleySugar
    • By BarleySugar 5th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 8,683 Thanks
    BarleySugar
    Morning everyone,

Hope you get on well at the hospital Kathrynha.

2lbs off for me, and I’m still feeling very motivated, thanks to you lot.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 5th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 39,774 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thanks for responses 're going it solo, after next WI I'll decide and see how it goes. By now I have enough knowledge of what syns (I HATE the language with a vengeance) are in my favourite foods and treats. Will post updates after next WI.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 5th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 4,089 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    Morning.
    Been to class this morning - never seen it so busy. Packed with newbies, couldn't park car near by and not enough chairs in two emi circles. Aaarrrggghh. Never mind, it will calm down.
    I lost 1 1/2LB so I'm very happy with that as I'm back in range (just)
    We all had the new member talk and I quite enjoyed it. It made me rethink the way I do things.
    My plan for today is :-
    He a milk
    he b hifi bars
    B banana and grapes
    L bacon and egg salad, yogurt
    D chicken fajita lasagne (6) I use a dolmio light lasagne sauce as no one else likes sw white sauces and a sprinkle of cheese on top. Packed with onions and peppers. Served with a spinach and red onion salad.
    Syns snacks will be hifi bars and satsumas.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 5th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Poohsticks, put you down for holiday

Well done to Esmy, BarleySugar and MatronMidge on your losses.

Back from the hospital and feeling a bit better. Got a blood pressure high enough not to feel light headed, and got some iron now. Just feeling a bit post drugs ikky, but the worst of that will clear in a few hours
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 5th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 4,194 Posts
    • 77,434 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Wow, some great losses this week, well done losers

STS for me, but I can't complain as I definitely went over syns last weekend Onwards and upwards
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 5th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I would be suicidal...... so hoping it is just me being out of kilter or the menopause... either are better than another pregnancy. But my swollen tummy is annoying me, but that is still far better than a pregnancy! Pulling my fingers nails out with pliers would be better than a pregnancy.

Haha fair enough. I weren't too sure if you was happy either way lol as it feels like everyone I know is having kids
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd sw 14 st 12lbs Fri15/6/18 -> 0 weeks -0lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 5th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 9,130 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hello Everyone

Hope everyone is well & in particular, Kathrynha, the hospital visit goes OK.

I'm impressed that people have lost weight - I've got my mojo back, which is just as well given the weight I gained whilst away!

I've got my first WI for about 4 weeks tomorrow so from tomorrow onwards I'm definitely on plan - up to now I've been paying lip service to it lol.

I've started having my usual yogurt & cereal / mixed veg & chicken breakfast & lunch combo - milk wasn't doing the job and I found I was picking mid morning.

Going to plan next week's meals tonight so the internet shop order can be placed.

I'm not sure who recommended James Smith but I signed up to his emails and I have to say they sound as if hubby wrote them. I haven't signed up yet to the PT aspect of it yet ....I did go swimming Wednesday and plan on going again tomorrow (I finally treated myself to the waterproof headphones!)

I'm 50 in March so would really love to hit my target for then - perhaps I need to believe in myself that I can do it as I always think when I set myself a target I'll never do it so I've mentally failed before I've started.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 5th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    It's prob me that said about James smith but watching his videos are interesting. He moans about sw but on the whole other than his foul language talks a lot of sense tbh

Well done losers and sts btw folks. Doing well for start of year. Only realised earlier we still haven't changed the calendar, shows how often we check it lol. Sure I got one with one of the magazines for this year tho
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    so happy to report that my mindful week has resulted in -5lb tonight! now to keep up the mindful-ness
    Originally posted by lushlifesaver

Wow! I somehow missed that yesterday. That's brilliant lush!

Glad you're feeling a bit better kathrynha

I've done my meal plan and shopping list for the coming week and will go to Aldi soon but waiting for a parcel for DH!

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage, HEA milk
    L: couscous with salad bits and ham
    D: HM pork burger, patatas bravas, mushrooms, green stuff (broccoli and whatever else I buy)
    Syns: extra HEB 6, syrup 2, gin??
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 5th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    There was a James smith video for 13 minutes about the monthly cycle and at times needing 300 calories more which was interesting to watch
    My targets to end 2018:
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 5th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    • 51,998 Posts
    • 622,006 Thanks
    bubbs
    on your loss bubbs
    I loved your post of all your achievements in the past year esmy . It's brilliant motivation for all of us but especially anyone starting out. Thank you.

AFAIK salted nuts aren't a HEB, only plain ones.
    Thanks for all the feedback on HEBs. I rarely miss but I don't want to mess DH about. If I tell him I can have 2 slices he'll do the same with rye bread and that'll mean 6 more syns. He's such a sweetie making me breakfast in bed every day, I don't want to put him off.

I've just taken 1.5 syns out of the bank today. I decided to make up a pack of couscous to use up salady bits. I've snacked on some this evening.
    Originally posted by maman
    Thanks
    I would be suicidal...... so hoping it is just me being out of kilter or the menopause... either are better than another pregnancy. But my swollen tummy is annoying me, but that is still far better than a pregnancy! Pulling my fingers nails out with pliers would be better than a pregnancy.

Change i bet
    I think at 48 the change is more likely. Before I got ill and the medication has totally changed my periods to make them even worse (major part of my iron problems), I was starting to head towards the change, and some months I would do the full pmt, bloating, sore breasts, spots, etc, and then no bleeding, and it would all calm down, and the next month I would have a totally normal period
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    Mine just stopped when i was about 47 never had one since, been so lucky just get the odd flush
    Hope hospital went ok today x
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 3 lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 5th Jan 18, 4:09 PM
    • 51,998 Posts
    • 622,006 Thanks
    bubbs
    Morning all.

1.5 off for this week. That's a good loss for me and it hasn't been a full week either so I'm pleased with that.

Caterina I tend to use syns for extra carbs or a second HEB, or adding flavours to my cooking - extra fats I can manage without. Hope all goes to plan at the hospital, Kathryn, and you feel a bit better afterwards.
    Originally posted by esmy
    Morning everyone,

Hope you get on well at the hospital Kathrynha.

2lbs off for me, and I!!!8217;m still feeling very motivated, thanks to you lot.
    Originally posted by BarleySugar
    Morning.
    Been to class this morning - never seen it so busy. Packed with newbies, couldn't park car near by and not enough chairs in two emi circles. Aaarrrggghh. Never mind, it will calm down.
    I lost 1 1/2LB so I'm very happy with that as I'm back in range (just)
    We all had the new member talk and I quite enjoyed it. It made me rethink the way I do things.
    My plan for today is :-
    He a milk
    he b hifi bars
    B banana and grapes
    L bacon and egg salad, yogurt
    D chicken fajita lasagne (6) I use a dolmio light lasagne sauce as no one else likes sw white sauces and a sprinkle of cheese on top. Packed with onions and peppers. Served with a spinach and red onion salad.
    Syns snacks will be hifi bars and satsumas.
    Originally posted by Matron Midge
    well done all of you
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 5th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 51,998 Posts
    • 622,006 Thanks
    bubbs
    Wow, some great losses this week, well done losers

STS for me, but I can't complain as I definitely went over syns last weekend Onwards and upwards
    Originally posted by Chrisv
    Thats ok Chris , you didnt put on............says she who goes in a strop if she stays the same

Afternoon all
    I need to go and do my fake KFC, yummy yummy piggies tummy its going
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 5th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 9,130 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime

I still am waiting for mother nature - now late by a fair bit. OH is sweating like a pig.... my stomach is blowing up, so I am panicking now!

I think I was keeping the British pregnancy testing kit industry going last year....as well as practicing my pregnancy test buying Nijina skills.

Havent had a real visit for about a year now - suppose I should go to the quacks.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 5th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 11,639 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Mine just stopped when i was about 47 never had one since, been so lucky just get the odd flush
    Hope hospital went ok today x
    Originally posted by bubbs
    You are so lucky. Before being ill and drugs effecting them I quite frequently managed to have period pains and hot flushes at the same time.

These days with the drugs some months I think Niagara Falls has less flow!

Once the cancer is all sorted I will go on the waiting list to get that stuff sorted out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,762Users online

Martin's Twitter