Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 31st Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 52Posts
    • 239Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Lurking MFW finally posting: Mortgage free in 2025
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    Lurking MFW finally posting: Mortgage free in 2025 31st Dec 17 at 11:41 AM
    Hi everyone,

I have found this forum to be such a pillar of sense and strength since I started using it passively (learning from everyone else) in 2005. I grew up in a fairly frugal household, though have seen mortgages testing marriages, relationships, mental health and careers so often around me that I've wanted to be in control of the mortgage before it controls me. And my DH wholeheartedly agrees!

It's also wonderful to see all the old posts here as points of reference for the fact that you make the choices you make at the time with the best intentions and things happen!

My SOA is as follows:
    [tt]Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2500
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2600
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 1250
    Total monthly income.................... 6350

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 767
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 110
    Electricity............................. 56
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 27.78
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 5
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 48.48
    Groceries etc. ......................... 400
    Clothing................................ 250
    Petrol/diesel........................... 25
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 110
    Childcare/nursery....................... 1100
    Other child related expenses............ 200
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 10
    Contents insurance...................... 10
    Life assurance ......................... 17
    Other insurance......................... 18
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Haircuts................................ 60
    Entertainment........................... 500
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    DH mobile phone......................... 30
    Subscriptions - SC...................... 8
    Subscriptions - TC...................... 10
    Subscriptions - GLL..................... 35
    Subscriptions - RSM..................... 20
    Subscriptions - ESU..................... 8
    Subscriptions - Netflix................. 6
    Total monthly expenses.................. 3893.38

Assets

Cash.................................... 11000
    House value (Gross)..................... 450000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 200000
    Total Assets............................ 661000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 135000...(767)......2.85
    Total secured & HP debts...... 135000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 6,350
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 3,893.38
    Available for debt repayments........... 2,456.62
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 2,456.62

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 661,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -135,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
    Net Assets.............................. 526,000

[/tt]

DH and I realise how lucky we are. We made our financial mistakes in our early 20's - bought a house outside of London at the peak of the market in 2007, with limited job prospects for me and generally unhappiness. I was depressed (though never diagnosed), put on a significant amount of weight, and took admin work through agencies just to keep us tided over. Three years of pain and we decided to move back to London - boomeranged to live in my parents house (!) twice before finally settling in our lovely little house in London in late 2012. One good thing out of this is that we kept that house outside of London and have rented it out since 2010. A wonderful older couple live there and treat it better it better than we ever could. We've never raised the rent because of this but now make about £350 a month, which we can't complain about.

I have been on secondment for coming up to two years, which is where the significant extra income has come from. We started off with a £200,000 mortgage in Nov 2012. I'd saved a £37,000 in three years (largely because of the extra earnings from the promotion and frugality!), and regularly overpayed the mortgage by £250. Our intention was to continue to save to pay for an extension to our house, but having spent a long time thinking about this it's a vanity project which, coupled with the extra debt we'd have, will not serve to make us happier. And with savings rates below 1% (!) I've realised it would serve us better to pay down our mortgage debt rather than keep the money in the bank. And since, I've overpayed by the maximum 10% our building society allows us to. I will also be doing that on the 2nd of Jan 2018, which will bring our mortgage down to the £135,000 I've quoted above. So exhilarating to know this joy is only a few days off!

2018 will be an interesting year as I stand a fair chance of keeping this income level, but not sure it will suit our circumstances. Our DS is two and a half, and therefore our childcare bill will be under £200 come September so it should even out even if I return to my old job.

My aim is to now continue to overpay by the maximum 10% every year, attempt to get a better rate (though am realistic that this might be unlikely by the time we come to renegotiate in July 2019). I have aspirations to work on my terms, to do the things that my parents never allowed for - perhaps drama related. The sense of control this gives is incomparable.

Thank you all, here's to slow and steady progress for all MFW's in 2018
Page 2
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 18th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Iím debating this at the minute and canít seem to come to a decision. Pay in £6k in one go and spend the rest of the year building up my pot or just keep it balanced at a £500 per month overpayment. The lump would save me £87 in interest. I have an aversion to reducing the size of my safety blanket but I think itís more a psychological thing. I hate the thought of cashing in any premium bonds... 6000 fewer chances to win the million
    Originally posted by Retter
    definitely know what you mean on the fewer chances to win!

There has definitely been a psychological impact of lumping it all in at the start of the year, that made me so excited that I'd achieved everything I needed on the second day of the year! It was through reading other stories on this forum I realised that whilst that was one approach, motivation to continue to save could come from a longer, end goal of shifting that mortgage free date from 2035 to 2020/2021! That was enough to help!

I'd say keep going as if you didn't have that amount, no matter what you use the £6,000 for! Sounds like your doing a fab job!
    Mortgage when started: £200,999
    Current mortgage (2nd Jan 2018): £135,000
    Mortgage free day planned for: 25th June 2025 (day before my 40th birthday!)
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 18th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Nowt wrong with a bit of Bloc Party. I was 13 when you think they crumbled (yikes that makes me feel old! )

Wow, you are definitely younger than me, I realise just how easy it is to get stuck in your hay day!

Could you save to become mortgage neutral? Bump up the 1% savings rate (5% is fairly widely available) and see how quick you can save up the £135,000?

Best of luck, sounds like you've made grand progress already
    Originally posted by Blibble
    My savings rate is 0.85% Not sure what I'm doing wrong on this one. But exactly as you point out Blibble, savings is the way to go. I still can't quite believe how quickly this could work out!
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 18th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    As ever, another week has gone by and my frugal though old fashioned phone has meant I've missed out on lovely comments and support from other forumites. Thank you for the positive encouragement!

I've realised, paradoxically, that some of my anxiety about spending less is a result of the free time I now have because I'm not spending! For instance, not ordering things online, not shopping as much and not eating out. The thing I've found hardest is not eating out as much. I'm really enjoying cooking again, though it does take up a fair amount of time but that always feels relatively therapeutic, my 2 year old loves it and the food is always much tastier. But I actually miss the convivial experience of eating out, feeling part of something and the experience? I read a few articles about millennial being more likely to fritter away 25-30% of their salaries on eating out - that old avocado on toast = no mortgage, no future might not be far from the truth! Would love to know what others think about this.

Went to the science museum with DH and a friend and her husband and similarly zany two year old. Paid £7.20 for an exhibition that both DH's took the little ones in to see whilst me and my friend nattered and put the world to rights. Was a worthy investment!
    • Merchandiser2367
    • By Merchandiser2367 18th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Merchandiser2367
    As ever, another week has gone by and my frugal though old fashioned phone has meant I've missed out on lovely comments and support from other forumites. Thank you for the positive encouragement!

I've realised, paradoxically, that some of my anxiety about spending less is a result of the free time I now have because I'm not spending! For instance, not ordering things online, not shopping as much and not eating out. The thing I've found hardest is not eating out as much. I'm really enjoying cooking again, though it does take up a fair amount of time but that always feels relatively therapeutic, my 2 year old loves it and the food is always much tastier. But I actually miss the convivial experience of eating out, feeling part of something and the experience? I read a few articles about millennial being more likely to fritter away 25-30% of their salaries on eating out - that old avocado on toast = no mortgage, no future might not be far from the truth! Would love to know what others think about this.

Went to the science museum with DH and a friend and her husband and similarly zany two year old. Paid £7.20 for an exhibition that both DH's took the little ones in to see whilst me and my friend nattered and put the world to rights. Was a worthy investment!
    Originally posted by blocpartyfan
    Great to read your diary

We are also looking to pay off our mortgage in around 3 years. We do sometimes ponder if being frugal now is the best thing, mostly as our daughter is 3 but we remind ourselves that in 3-ish years, we will be able to live mortgage free!! - Security, Fun and financial support for daughter is what we are aiming for and these are the motivations that we remind ourselves of to keep us going...

Was good to read your journey so far and will keep on reading as can see some similarities in our journey's
    Mortgage When Started Over Pay 01/11/2017- £146500
    Current Total - 17/09/2018 - £111,062 (With Offset
    £10k Savings)
    5 year fix - Aiming to overpay £1900 at least a month
    MFW by July 2021
    01/11/17 - £10k / £10k Emergency Savings
    • Merchandiser2367
    • By Merchandiser2367 18th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Merchandiser2367
    Forgot to mention, kreuzberg is one of my favourite songs ever! A weekend in the city is in my top 3 albums......good times!!!!

£10k Savings)
    MFW by July 2021
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 24th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Oh Kruezberg! And with the announcement that they're doing a Silent Alarm tour, clearly nostalgia is an in thing!

Thanks Merchandiser2367
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 24th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Great to read your diary

We are also looking to pay off our mortgage in around 3 years. We do sometimes ponder if being frugal now is the best thing, mostly as our daughter is 3 but we remind ourselves that in 3-ish years, we will be able to live mortgage free!! - Security, Fun and financial support for daughter is what we are aiming for and these are the motivations that we remind ourselves of to keep us going...

Was good to read your journey so far and will keep on reading as can see some similarities in our journey's
    Originally posted by Merchandiser2367
    Ooh I'm fascinated - we seem to have a fair few things in common!

How are you coping with the shift in attitude towards money? It's something that stills surprised I'm so keen to stick to....
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 24th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    3 months into the year, and despite the freak snow we've had over the last month Spring is well and truly on it's way. Hurrah for the sunshine! I'm not sure if that will make the savings ambitions more or less difficult. Whilst I don't crave holidays abroad as much as I did before DS was here, I am partial to a good festival and lots of al fresco eating and drinking in London. Will be something less frequent now - perhaps more picnics in the park instead!

Looking at our spending spreadsheet for the week, I thought I'd share it with anyone interested. A nice reminder that the first two days of the week were no spend days. Now, any amount I spend make me instantly cringe. I know that's not healthy so still trying to find a good balance with it all. Hope you're all having good weeks!

19-Mar Groceries Bread £0.80
    20-Mar Groceries Crisps £0.39
    20-Mar Groceries Milk and butter £2.40
    21-Mar Groceries Shower gel, nappies, biscuits, bread, desert £8.80
    21-Mar Childcare £33.00
    22-Mar Groceries Tesco £11.84
    23-Mar Eating Out Lunch £4.50
    23-Mar Childcare £125.00
    24 Mar Groceries fancy bread and ciabatta roll £6.00
    24 Mar Groceries fancy wine and beer £31.00
    24 Mar Groceries fancy burgers, chicken bones and sausages £24.00
    24 Mar Gifts birthday party and one for DS £13.00
    • Urbanshyne
    • By Urbanshyne 30th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    Urbanshyne
    Well hi,

It's great to read that you're paring everything down to help pay the mortgage off in 3 years. I'm doing exactly the same, and our trajectories are almost mirror images - I too want to be mortgage free by December 2020.

So stay motivated and I'll race you to the finish line!
    Neither a borrower or lender be; for loan oft loses both itself and friend.
    • Merchandiser2367
    • By Merchandiser2367 6th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Merchandiser2367
    Ooh I'm fascinated - we seem to have a fair few things in common!

How are you coping with the shift in attitude towards money? It's something that stills surprised I'm so keen to stick to....
    Soz for late response, don't get too much time to read on here currently

We have pretty much been on a budget since we met.....firstly we paid off £10,000 ish debts, then saved £40,000 for deposit on our house, then budgeted hard again when wife was on maternity leave (probably hardest of all as wife only got statutory maternity pay and had literally no money spare at all for a year) - so we are used to it......second nature now - we actually feel fairly well off now compared to maternity days so it was a blessing in disguise so we can now chuck loads at the mortgage but have more money to spend.

So, when we do pay the mortgage off, we are going to feel really elated as we won't have to budget for first time in years!!! Can't wait
    £10k Savings)
    MFW by July 2021
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Apr 18, 10:41 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 8,640 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hi Bloc party fan,
    I've just had a read through your diary. You eyewatering high income is to be marvelled at (not far off my personal garanteed income for a year) but then your childcare Bill is about 10times our weekly bill too.

We are aiming to be mortgage neutral in 28 more months (July 2020) and I've devised a 13 step plan of mini targets to help me stay motivated. Some of the steps are for reasonably small amounts , for example £375 the pay for the house we are in now and the one we may buy to be cleaned commercial before we move in/after we move out.
    Another step is the stamp duty we're likely to pay on our next property, solicitor & estate agent fees etc. All smaller, more manageable steps that is working towards our ultimate goal.

Good luck on your journey.

Wish.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 10th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    hi wishingthemortgaheaway!

Thanks so much for your lovely message. We are on the same path, let's stick together throughout

Childcare (which for us a mix of nursery and a babysitter) is so expensive but it's one of the few things I don't mind paying for. It gives me peace of mind and the ability to earn more money and make hay while the sun shines knowing my little one has been well cared for.

I agree, I am certainly lucky to earn such a high wage and have done so for just over two years now whilst I've been on secondment. I am returning to my old job and taking a relatively steep wage cut in July - it's either that or I continue without the security of a permanent job and all the added stress of my current working environment which does not lead to a very happy blocpartyfan! Not sure which path I'll chose at the moment, but I hope roads lead to a path of manageable stress

I think this experience of the forum has really reminded me just how important it is to live below your means and learn to embrace things other than material goods and spending as a way of life.

I adore your 13 step plan - I might have to copy it! Small steps, small steps, small steps. Yes, you are on to something!
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 10th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Soz for late response, don't get too much time to read on here currently

We have pretty much been on a budget since we met.....firstly we paid off £10,000 ish debts, then saved £40,000 for deposit on our house, then budgeted hard again when wife was on maternity leave (probably hardest of all as wife only got statutory maternity pay and had literally no money spare at all for a year) - so we are used to it......second nature now - we actually feel fairly well off now compared to maternity days so it was a blessing in disguise so we can now chuck loads at the mortgage but have more money to spend.

So, when we do pay the mortgage off, we are going to feel really elated as we won't have to budget for first time in years!!! Can't wait
    You are both so good, good habits die hard. Pregnancy and parental leave are fantastic motivators for living frugally - I think my nesting phase was being a cheapskate!

I think we will have to set a date for a virtual drink and a gig in three years to celebrate!
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 10th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    It's been a rough few weeks...

We've had some real success in savings, which have gone from £10,000 to £15,000 since the end of January. We've reduced the frequency of our baby sitter (which she mistook as saying goodbye to, took lots of convincing that we couldn't do without her as part of the family!), which means things have been a bit cheaper so we've relaxed a little and booked a few trips to take our little man and train lover to the National Railway Museum in York and the Space Museum in Leicester. And finally planning his first ever trip abroad now that his passport has arrived!

But I've woken up to how badly I have been bullied at work over the last year. I think I've finally had enough of it and am no longer letting certain comments and behaviours go without some challenge, which is causing me some real stress. I am managing it the best I can, but it's definitely hard. It's leading me to realise that perhaps the hugely high expectations of paying the mortgage down at the rate I stated may not be worth ruining my overall health. So we've looked at options of how long it would take to pay it down if I return to my normal job and if I stayed there in the same role and DH didn't get any further promotions (both scenarios unlikely) - 4 years. That's not terrible!

Have reembraced my love of Lidl and Poundstretcher in recent weeks! What bargains!
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 21st Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    There's nothing like a bit of sunshine to raise the spirits! Hope the sun is shining wherever you are today!

Had a proper shopping spree this morning - lots of lovely new summer clothes but means I've already spent £105 and we're just half way through the day

Now that the end is in site in my current secondment, I've definitely felt more relaxed. I've addressed the bullying boss who's been much better towards me and have started to wind down from all the stress. Lovely stuff! I know I'll miss the extra £1,000 a month income but for my health it's not worth it. And if it means 2022 rather than 2020 to pay off the mortgage at least I'll be healthy for it!

A nice little bonus was getting credit interest on the savings, which was just over £300. I'd forgotten about that! And I got paid this week so we now have £16,000 in savings, and looking forward to our 10 year wedding anniversary holiday next month too!

Now will catch up on everyone else's journeys!
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 28th Apr 18, 8:37 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Had a lovely bit of money back in the pot this week - Taxfree childcare mess up means we've just been refunded £905! Initial inclination is 'can't think what we should spend it on, therefore just put it in savings'! How this forum has changed me.

Hope you're all having prosperous weekends!
    • Merchandiser2367
    • By Merchandiser2367 28th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Merchandiser2367
    Had a lovely bit of money back in the pot this week - Taxfree childcare mess up means we've just been refunded £905! Initial inclination is 'can't think what we should spend it on, therefore just put it in savings'! How this forum has changed me.

Great news on you unexpected refund! They don't happen often but feels great when they do !!!128578;
    £10k Savings)
    MFW by July 2021
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 28th Apr 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 8,640 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway

Wow... that's some refund. How was there a mess up? We use tax free childcare and have had no issues (so far!) so it would be interesting to know what could/has gone wrong.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 3rd May 18, 9:22 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Hi wishingthemortgaheaway!

The website stopped processing the top up, and it's taken them 9 months to reinstate it

I think it could be devastating for other families who might need the money just to eat...
    • blocpartyfan
    • By blocpartyfan 3rd May 18, 9:23 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    blocpartyfan
    Great news on you unexpected refund! They don't happen often but feels great when they do !!!128578;
    Aw thank you very much!

It's funny how exciting getting the money you were always owed anyway feels, compared to just getting it as standard!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,408Posts Today

8,503Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin