Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 31st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 192Posts
    • 270Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission 31st Dec 17 at 11:35 AM
    With the new year arriving tomorrow I've decided to start a new diary. My old was depressing me, as you could track the debt increasing slowly over time so I'm starting over. Fresh new diary to keep track of my spending and keeping us afloat.

My main aim this year is to stop adding to the debt! No more credit card use or falling into the overdraft at the end of the month. Our debt stands at 16271.56 over two Zopa loans. I'd love to overpay, but the reality at the minute is there's no spare cash as have large expenditure coming up in first half of the year. We have a good income, but money is tight. Have trimmed and cancelled everything I can and without giving the children away, i know we can't cut back anymore.

So this is my plan, it's official and in writing so set in stone for Jan/Feb/Mar
    - save 2200 for much needed house repair, have set target needs to be done by MAY
    - pay as much as possible off kids school trips 200 / 384 owed
    - save 50 a month towards an emergency fund 400 target
    - save 50 a month towards christmas, to avoid panic next year and hope to increase
    - withdraw 75 a week to food wallet and only spend cash on food - hope to decrease shopping budget massively, use up freezer supplies and get inventive with my meals.
    - only shop once a week and stop 'topping' co-op and meal plan
    - declutter and sell, sell, sell
    - try and look for a part time job to fit around my current role
    -have as many NSD as possible - at least 20 a month

Need to stay focused, meal plan and keep logging on here for motivation. Right choccy....this is my kick up botty you need!

Happy New Year!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
Page 7
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 5th Nov 18, 3:13 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    The direct debits have gone, account is waiting for shopping and other transactions to catch up. Not a lot in there at the minute! The child benefit should come in tomorrow and the 25 credit from car insurance is pending.

I picked up cream that I'd forgotten yesterday 1 today. That's 68.72 spent this week and 6.28.

So nice to get out into town today. Spent the 1 out my wallet and bought my friend lunch. It was 16.53 but that came out of my account, which leaves me a healthy 285ish.
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 7th Nov 18, 8:42 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Yesterday was an unexpected nsd! Hubby took youngest to hospital check up and for the first time ever was in and out without parking charges....that's a win!

Rent arrived today, child benefit yesterday so there's money in there again! Have paid 125 music lesson and 30 school trip today. Rest of balance is spoken for including 100 payment of hubbies 0% CC, 55 for the animal's booster jabs at vet and hubbies professional fees of 29ish.
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 7th Nov 18, 8:53 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Debt is slowly going down!
    Haven't totalled up the debt for a while. We've been paying normal repayments and min of Cc. I've just increased the min to a round 100 so I at least feel like making a start. With Christmas looming I want to stay out of the OD and survive without adding to the debt and keeping EF at 1k.
    From January we'll be in a better place and can start over paying properly.

Zopa1 3900.46 pleased to see this under 4K
    Zopa2 9091.81
    0% CC 3707.03
    Total today 7/11/18 16699.30
    Highest debt 22/6/18 18577.57
    Paid off 10.1%
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 8th Nov 18, 9:14 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Just when it was going so well
    I feel like crying this morning - one step forward and three back.

Hubby's work notified him they've made a mistake with his pay and contributions to his travel and education from months and months ago. They've overpaid him around 1075. It's from around 18 small claims and their system to work it out so complicated we've not noticed. They'll be taking it back Dec 400, jan 400 Feb 275 approx

My salary has clicked onto ssp so it means we're really tight on budgets and thank god we have the 1000 EF.

I've called Barclays about our residential mortgage to ask for a payment holiday for 2 months. Unfortunately, they don't do them, but they have moved our DD from 1st to last day of month, which means next pay is due 31st Dec as paid it on 1st Nov.

It's not ideal but I hope we'll be able to move it back (and pay two instalments when pay all back to normal. ) It's not the end of the world, but gives me an extra 501.39 in December. This covers the 400 hubby is down and extra 100 more than we would have had because of my ssp.

Our belts are going to be so tight I think our legs may drop off. I have bought the kid's main Christmas presents but no real little bits, books or pjs etc. We've agreed we're not going to add to the debt but need to budget to make every penny count.

Need to catch my breath, get a cup of tea and chill out. I've not even checked my accounts yet, so will update in a bit.
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 8th Nov 18, 10:27 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    After the overpayment bombshell, we realise that we need to watch every penny every minute! We have vowed to not add to the debt over Christmas, ensure the children don't know it's anything but a normal christmas, we will scrimp save and thrifty our festive period and we will stay focussed. Christmas cannot be paid for from the EF!

Yesterday I paid all the school trips, music lessons and usual niff-naff, hubby filled his car full and these payments are all pending on our account. This means our available cash is 473.59 which is nearly all accounted for and needs to last the 22 days until pay day!

I have set the food budget at 225, which works out as 10 a day for a family of 4 with two teenagers 3 meals a day. I'm hoping to get this down to 180 - 3 x Saturday shops 60 each.

The kids have 20ish on their school meal accounts, but I'm encouraging them not to use this. I've been making soup so having something warm. Have suggested hot chocolate and a sandwich from home, but good to know they've got it there just in case.

The budget - 473.59 available
    Food - 225 - aiming for 180!
    Vet visit - 55 (can't cancel as booster yearly jabs)
    Cleaner - 56 (can't cancel as have to give month notice anyway and with my disc issue/health i can't do)
    0% CC min 83ish & OP - 100
    Hubs prof fee - 29.25
    Total budgeted = 465.25 /473.59 - hopefully squeeze food so extra 45 leftover
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 9th Nov 18, 8:47 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Well things aren't going to be as bad as we think. They're going to start taking the money on the 31st December, which is fab. We still have the 'spare' mortgage payment, but are going to try and save as much of that as we can because Jan, Feb & Mar could be tight if I'm not back to work.

Proactiv refund hit - This was remaining 19.99

Yay - postcode lottery 10 win arrived!

Decided not to just spend the win, so I've sent two payments to our zopa loads to round them down and the minimum is 10 - so 11.81 & 10.46. I know seems crazy when we've had thehubs overpayment stuff, but it's my little way of celebrating. With refund and win the account is slightly higher than it was yesterday.

Account balance available 481.31

Have been doing surveys like a mad woman and I've managed to get my total up to 16.12 in a space of a week in my spare time. Please use the link if you'd like to join https://www.prolific.ac/p?ref=SBHYAXXR

Having a lazy day today. Both kids off on school trip and not back until late, so we're off to catch up with good friends. Spends will come out of our personal accounts, as there's nothing spare.
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 10th Nov 18, 4:33 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Had to buy toiletries 14.25 so trip to Morrison's as don't like Aldi ones. Spent total 42.76....ouch! 17.94 on food on offer we prefer to Aldi things...like beans, clover spread & birds eye chicken pies. Also bought huge joint of brisket which asked butcher to cut in half one for tomorrow and one for fridge bargain at 10.57. will roast and leftovers will be blitzed for spag Bol. Budget was 60 but will allow 5 from next weeks for beef. Going to Aldi for rest tomorrow and will try and keep it as close to remaining budget 22.24 as possible. I'm expecting it to be 40 ��

Hubby had to order couple of books for his studies from amazon 20.08.

Balance left available in account 418.47 after all spending
    EF 1000
    SPC 27.75
    My joint 257.40
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 10th Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Post has only just arrived but it brings a 10 refund and apology letter from the Royal Mail. I paid for a guaranteed next day delivery parcel to my friend and it arrived the day after. Will add it to the joint account when I finally get to the bank!

That's remind me still waiting for 25 from bio-oil and need to change 15 old notes - both of which need to go into my own account.
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Quick check of bank accounts and available balance is 418.47.

Not a lot going, but needing to Aldi this afternoon for rest of food shop. Need to keep it low spend! Should be 22 ish to keep to budget, but happy if under 40.
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Nov 18, 10:26 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    [COLOR="Red"]We shall remember them[/COLOR]
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Nov 18, 2:45 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Well Aldi shop did 51.54 which was r a surprise! I'd been aiming for u
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Nov 18, 2:51 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Arrrrrgh I can't edit posts on my phone!

We'd aimed for 40 which our shopping was just under, but I'd forgotten eldest on their cookery rotation so extra ingredients lists. They're making veggie burgers and I had nothing apart from the salt in the store. 2 tins of chick peas, fresh lemons, zest of 2 lemons, Parmasean cheese and fed other bits and it's ruined my budget! Hey- ho at least it's sorted tomorrow night. I did get two rolls of cello tape for the Christmas wrapping!
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Nov 18, 9:27 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Had an email to say zopa overpayments have been received, but the reduction hasn't been updated on the website. Will update as soon as it does.

NSD today, available bank balance 366.93
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 13th Nov 18, 9:38 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Checked bank and available credit 290.73 first thing.

I did spend 25 on a new basket yesterday. Friend selling a beautiful honey pot rattan one which would have been a fortune. It wasn't planned, but hopefully may sell my old one for 5. Just need hubby to pick new one up.

Still surveying like mad and have 19.75 to withdraw for my sealed pot.

Hubby text to say work have paid the 150 course refund back today, which is a complete bonus. Will check back later to make sure.

Hubs also printed off his pay slip the morning and his second part of his pay rise will be paid this month. Not sure how much it is, so looking foreard to that surprise later. Won't be a lot but every 1 helps. Especially as we have to repay the 1075 starting in jan!
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 13th Nov 18, 1:07 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Refund of course claim has hit the account so I've sent 100 payment for the youngest choccy's school trip. You can pay in one go, but like paying in dribs and drabs.
    SPC 090 - 27.75 / 240.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin