Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 31st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 251Posts
    • 382Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission 31st Dec 17 at 11:35 AM
    With the new year arriving tomorrow I've decided to start a new diary. My old was depressing me, as you could track the debt increasing slowly over time so I'm starting over. Fresh new diary to keep track of my spending and keeping us afloat.

My main aim this year is to stop adding to the debt! No more credit card use or falling into the overdraft at the end of the month. Our debt stands at £16271.56 over two Zopa loans. I'd love to overpay, but the reality at the minute is there's no spare cash as have large expenditure coming up in first half of the year. We have a good income, but money is tight. Have trimmed and cancelled everything I can and without giving the children away, i know we can't cut back anymore.

So this is my plan, it's official and in writing so set in stone for Jan/Feb/Mar
    - save £2200 for much needed house repair, have set target needs to be done by MAY
    - pay as much as possible off kids school trips £200 / £384 owed
    - save £50 a month towards an emergency fund £400 target
    - save £50 a month towards christmas, to avoid panic next year and hope to increase
    - withdraw £75 a week to food wallet and only spend cash on food - hope to decrease shopping budget massively, use up freezer supplies and get inventive with my meals.
    - only shop once a week and stop 'topping' co-op and meal plan
    - declutter and sell, sell, sell
    - try and look for a part time job to fit around my current role
    -have as many NSD as possible - at least 20 a month

Need to stay focused, meal plan and keep logging on here for motivation. Right choccy....this is my kick up botty you need!

Happy New Year!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
Page 5
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Jun 18, 11:32 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Need to keep posting to keep up the momentum!

Survey update £42.18 waiting to cash out and £4.04 pending.

Joint account balance £200 in credit and looking good to last until pay day.

We've decided we're getting the extra works done on the house. Saves us cash, saves us mess and a lot of stress! Total amount needed £3500 so we've take. A cash advance on hubby's Barclaycard with an additional £500 to get car serviced and break works completed. Min Payne ta £92 a month Abd it's interest free until dec 2019. My plan is to blitz this new debt first and clear before starting in Zopa.

From next month starting to build an EF for car works etc. Not having the overdraft will be a great weight off my mind.
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 22nd Jun 18, 7:25 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Positives
    Car works done, but had price tag of £400 ouch!
    £51.53 ready to pay out of survey
    Using freezer and cupboard stocks
    Proud new owner of a new job - extra 12 hours a week which should really take us to a better place! Start Monday. Very chuffed!

Negatives
    Debt 1 - Zopa loan £4400.52 (£100.01 per month)
    Debt 2 - Zopa loan £10080.05 (£197.25 per month)
    Debt 3 - hubby cc 0% £4097 (min £92 a month)

Emergency fund £0000

The to do list
    Need to sit down and do new budget. Have been doing odd bits of temp work and last booking Monday. Will put time sheet in on Monday and will no doubt see pay end of July should be £150+
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 1st Oct 18, 12:07 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    I feel like I've blinked and the summer has gone!

With Christmas hurtling towards us, I think I need to get back into posting. The good news is that all the house works have been done. I've been saving like mad and cleared all our overdrafts and we're looking ok.

Will get the outstanding figures tomorriw when payments go out in the morning.
    Zopa 1, Zopa 2 & 0% Barclaycard.

We've set a budget for this month and it should be pretty low spend. Now we've back on a no spend spree I'm hoping to get rid of the smallest zopa loan ASAP.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 8th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Here I am again saying I need to post more often? Need to focus blah blah blah! I mean this time I'm back saying I need to post at least every other day to keep track.

We have been pottering and playing at the savings but need to focus to get rid of this debt! The awful realisation that if we don't our debt at the end of the year will have increased grrrrr! I know house works important but still really annoying!

Without posting I've got no way to back track how much we'be cleared off overdrafts or how I've built up the EF.

The nasty stuff
    Zopa 1 £4000.47
    Zopa 2 £9289.45
    0% Cc £3807.03 Total debt £17096.95
    Another school trip £350 left to pay in 5months
    I've been signed off until January due to serious I jury so will be on SSP which means I drop around £200.

The good stuff
    3 x overdrafts - all cleared!
    Emergency fund £500
    Christmas Savings £76.00 have been spending out of here when bargains come up and have quite a few bits. Cutting back on non immediate family and friends and rest of cash will come from
    Nov/dev budgets.
    I'm off work so plenty of time to meal plan, budget and keep hold of the budget!

That's enough of my plan for now, need a brew and get some washing on!
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 9th Oct 18, 7:56 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    On posting streak day 2/2
    I'm back again and no apology or remorse for not posting!

Our joint account is looking pretty empty with a £43.27 balance. The rent from our house is due tomorrow which is the cash flow to get us threw the rest of the month. All our bills mortgages etc have gone out, everything is covered so for first time in ages I feel more in control.

We've got a quiet rest of the month, but if forgotten about half term for the kids. Not planning a lot with being off work perhaps s trip to cinema £30 for family ticket and I can use my £15 food voucher. I complained last time we went so free drinks and popcorn a welcome bonus. The other treat might be trip to swimming pool which keeps the kids busy for 2/3 for around £8. Going to try keep half term costs under £50.

Still waiting for an insurance settled £320, but that's going straight into EF.

Going to have mooch through food stocks today and plan some no spend meals for next few days. Was planning a NSD but my youngest needs her lunch money topping up. She always has a hot lunch on Tuesday because of her after school club🤦!♀️ Do will add £10.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 9th Oct 18, 12:40 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    It was going so well 😆
    Arrrrghhhh it was going so well, until the teenagers got involved!

Balance of at start of day £43.27

Youngest needed lunch money top up -£10.00

Eldest has chance to go to well know sports club for professional training session, free shirt, meet the players and watch a game. £35.00 so paid via pay-pal and used my 12p credit -£34.88

Balance now -£1.61 in overdraft 😩 OD free, but refusing to use it so have moved £5 from
    EF which I'll move back when rent payment in!
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 10th Oct 18, 9:15 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Posting day 3/3
    Sorting out the budget for the rest of the month so it's going to be a long waffle! Need to get it straight down in writing and give us the focus. Still waiting for two large payments to clear hopefully will be tomorrow.

Bank account balance £3.39
    EF £495

Money due in
    Waiting on insurance settlement payment £320
    Waiting on rent payment £850
    Credit from letting agent £35 to chase
    wrapped up boi oil for refund hubby will post today £20
    Still need to do amazon return! £35
    Hubby's work course refund £150, but he needs to finish his course. Think probably be paid in dec! Stuck it down so don't forget to chase it!

Rent is around £50 higher than expected because agent has been sat on credit! There's still £35 on account so requested that bAck too!

My plan is to whack insurance settlement bank into EF and £5 borrowed yesterday. That'll take it to £820. All our bills have gone out, so hoping to take the extra £180 from rent money to hit Dave Ramsey's magic £1k.

That's leaves £665 until pay day which is the healthiest balance we've had in around two years, but we do have a lot of bits to budget for.

Planned spends
    Amazon I've got £50 budgeted for new charging station for all phones to stay downstairs. This is £33 & £7 for cables. I know huge amount of money, but know an investment that'll improve the teenagers sleep and well being. I've been wanting one for months, but never had cash. New loo brush £7 for nice ceramic one, could buy cheaper but not able to drive at minute so easiest option.

Flowers for family members big birthday - £40 will use online florist through Quidco. They live 250 miles away and because not driving guess this is what I'd spend going to see them. They've been really good to us and helped when really skint.

Fuel for hubby's car - £75 but hopefully less. No big trips planned it's 3/4 full now so just his commuting and running kids around.

Food £200 or less! Need to use up loads of freezer and cupboard stocks. Know budget huge, but struggling with my injury to cook everyday and hubby likes the odd chippie tea. Will have one when rent cash hits (£15.80)

Half term treats £50 - £30 family ticket (have £15 food and drink voucher) £8 swim for kids, milkshake at shake hut £12

Rugby boots for eldest £75 hopefully less. The eldest's feet have grown again. Have tried to fit cheap boots in past but foot nightmare width. Hopefully hubby can find a bargain that fit well, we're lucky that we're not brand fussy!

Holy moly that's £490 budgeted for out the £665. I can't believe how quickly it adds up. I do feel a lot happier that we have a budget though and will have the cash for it. Normally we'd reach for the credit card or hit the overdraft for the boots abd flowers. If we can stick to this budget we should have £175 left at the end of the month! That would be a first!

I'm due to get paid on 27th but seeing if we can leave the cash without spending until hubby's pay day on 31st.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 10th Oct 18, 2:26 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    After the mammoth post this morning I feel cleansed. Received confirmation that the agent is sending us refund of £34.43 back which will hit in a couple of days. Going to send it straight to EF.

Hubby forgot the oil return £20 and I still need him to print the amazon return £35, so will need to nag him. I'm going send this cash to the EF too so in theory so will hit 1k with less from rent money. Meaning we should have £265 balance on my pay day.

Despite trying to save for Christmas there's no money in a hidden pot! I've been buying bits and bobs, so ive decided that any left over balance will sort the kids out. That's a reason to be focussed! Would be lovely to be able to 'afford' Christmas without adding to the debt!
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Oct 18, 8:42 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Hitting a posting streak 4/4 days
    Money due in
    insurance settlement £323.43 paid 11/9
    rent payment £850 paid 11/9
    Credit from letting agent £34.43 waiting on BACS
    wrapped up boi oil for refund hubby will post today £20
    Still need to do amazon return, will print paperwork today £35
    Hubby's work course refund £150 waiting for him to finish course

EF have paid in £505 and finally hit Dave Ramsey's target of £1000

Hubby has been food shoppig on way to work and we'll have our cheapie tea tonight. H spent around£57, so will have to udate the budgets spent when i see the receipt. I've ordered the multi phone charger an cables which were a little more than i thought £31.99 & £8.99. Loo brush was £7.95 and not sure why but had an amazon discount of £1.41 so totalspend £47.52.

Hubby has been making noises about needing a new vac bag, as old one broke. It seems bags are more than a new vac, so will need to have a shop around. We have a lot of huge trees and the vac would save him so much work. Leaves are normally my job, but with my injury i can't. Not keen on spending £70 on a new, so will see if we can use old on blow function and get kids to pick them up from a pile.

Planned spends Budget Total £119.30 / £490
    Amazon £47.52 /£50.00 = £2.48 left in budget
    Flowers for familyb'day £0/£40
    Fuel £0/£75
    Food £71.78/£200 = £128.22 lef
    Half term treats £0/£50
    Rugby boots for eldest £0/£75
    Last edited by Choccygirl123; 11-10-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Oct 18, 8:54 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Great news
    We've had a mega expensive year wit lots of work on the house, a holiday and several car bills but I've realised from first post on this diary our debt was £16271.56 and our current debt is £17096.95, but if we take into account the £1000 EF savings our debt is lower than we started. That's a miracle as I've felt like we've throwing money out the house this year. The EF doesn't really count, so my next plan is to get the debt down to £16k asap. Christmas may be a bump in the saving road, but at least now with strong budgets in place we won't be adding to it.

My plan is to start over paying the smallest Zopa loan every month, as the CC is 0% for a long period yet. It's £4000.47 and costs £100.01 a month. looking forward to freeing up that £100 so I'm able to spend it to the bigger one. I've got the LBM focus and it's burning brigh!
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Oct 18, 2:11 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Grrrr what is it with amazon? They over packed unbreakable things with huge boxes and endless packaging. However, they've sent me the new ceramic loo brush in the manufacturers box with it's one sheet of bubble in one of three huge boxes with token bit of paper. Knew it was broken before opened it! Have ordered the sand one again and they'll refund me this one. Won't include in budget as straight refund in and spend out.

Now I've got two amazon refunds to print off �� and sort!
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Oct 18, 12:26 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Today was supposed to be a NSD, but things never go to plan! They always say things come in 3's1

- Eldestchoccy kid was running late and had panic no time to make lunch....£5 added to the lunch again.

-Hubby had a dentist check up (which I'd forgetten in the budget) and he need a bit of work. He's paid today so it's out the way £59.10

-It's one of best friend's birthday big next month and our social group all agreed to chip in to buy her a larger present. The spend was planned next month at £50, but my other friend got a deal and it worked out at £36 each. Have paid other friend as know she's skint! £36.00

TOTAL unbudgeted spends £100.10 OUCH! This will impact the balance at the end of the month so going to try and claw back some savings for rest of spends this month
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 13th Oct 18, 11:50 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Definitely on a posting streak...day 8!

House tidying / cleaning / chilling day for the kids and I. Hubby on course for work so hopefully 1 day closer to the £150 refund.

Hubby going to fill car up and grab some odds and ends on his way home. Freezer surprise of homemade steak pie filling made into filo pastry parcels to use pastry from Christmas.

Going to print amazon stuff now (have been lazy and still not done) hubby said will drop off on Monday.

Have checked my clear score report and I've gone from 507 to 509! Nothing changed just not using overdraft! Not sure if that's reflected that quickly, but love the fact it's better.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 14th Oct 18, 9:57 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Finally got the amazon returns print off so will get hubby to post them tomorrow.

The weather is horrendous and I've got cabin fever! With being off work and stuck home alone I'm feeling really down. I've feel like I've lost all my independence and not being able to jump in the car to do shopping it's pants. It's not great for my budget either. Hubby has been popping to shops like yesterday for fruit and eill cond back with hugs back of fizzy pop, chocolate and crap spending £6/7 extra! We had a chat last night because we're stacking the weight on. I know he knows I'm frustrated because he didn't give me the receipts. I can't update the budget until it shows in the bank now.....grrrrr! I'm just in a foul mood and should go back up bed.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 15th Oct 18, 8:45 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Another very windy day and the choccy family all back to school abd work after a busy weekend.

Hubby and I went to Aldi yesterday and spent a monster £111. I stocked up on loads of meat for freezer, loo rolls, dog treats and the bits you don't buy every week. Hubby picked up a box of hobgoblin £12.99 which is what tipped me over my £100 target. I always bought. Lot of fruit in preparation for making the Christmas cakes!

I still need to look st our budgets, but hubby's spends haven't shown in account yet. I know food is going to be over, but with fuel less that will help.

The unexpected early contribution for friend's birthday treat and dentist hasn't helped! Hubby had a £28 professional fee come out of account today that's on yearly auto renewal.

According to bank the amount available (without OD) is £216.52 �� My returns will be posted today £42 amazon / £20 bio oil and hopefully they'll hit the account within few days.

Spending for rest of month

flowers for family member birthday £40
    top upfood £30
    rugby boots 75
    half term treats 50
    Foreign friends Xmas present £35

It's now damage limitation and trying to keep hubby from spending! I am looking at Christmas presents and need to be organised for our friends in Germany. Like to be organised so will have a look for theirs this month so can post start of Nov to ensure it's there in plenty of time using cheapest postal service.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 15th Oct 18, 9:37 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Have ordered the flowers for the family member, I had £40 budget! Spent £37.98 for large bouquet inc delivery £3.99, because found a 15% discount code. Popped it through Quidco and should get 6% tracked.

Not much of a saving from the budget pot, but I think I've got good value for money. She's amazing and had done a lot for us, so want to make sure they're lovely.

I'm looking at idea for our friend's Christmas now. Seem to be spending a lot, but it's great knowing the money is in the account and we're not adding to the debt.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th Oct 18, 9:54 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Half way through the month and day hill to pay day thankfully. Hubby's spending still not detailed on the account, so can't update our spending but budget has been shot with unexpected spending on dentist and trying to be organised! It's the little things that add up like new kitchen scissors and glue £8 on amazon!

I've ordered the Christmas present for our friends overseas. We normally spend £35 plus the postage which can be £13/£15. I found something in the sale which is perfect and seller will post directly to them for £46.50. It means we're skint and the budget is blown. I could have waited but item Was half price and didn't want to risk no stock. However, I'm looking st the positive that it's another thing sorted and will free up more cash next month.

Our account is currently showing £83.94 available after all transactions are clear.

Cash due in
    - amazon refund £42 posted yesterday
    -bio oil refund £23 posted yesterday
    -Quidco payment £28 requested today
    -change £15 old notes into new at bank
    -£150 hubby course refund - no sign!

Moving forward for rest of month I think the oil refund will be a cheque and no sign of hubby's course clAim so not including these in the new budget. Without these there's approx £165 until I get paid around 27th.

Budget
    Cinema/swim half term (no milkshakes)£38
    Food £52
    Rugby boots £75 (hopefully less)

Should scrap through but need to keep hubby out the shops!
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 17th Oct 18, 9:23 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Another day another post! Have been lurking around a lot but never post on other dairies and finding great tips and posts. Now in good place and feeling organised going to try and stop the waffle and summarise daily

In brief
    -1/2 refund amazon arrived £35.22
    - balance available to £112.17
    -opened ref saver 5% and moved £300 from EF account
    -NSD
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th Oct 18, 11:46 AM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 9,756 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Just read all of your diary - well done on managing a challenging year. I hope you are on the mend though!

I love your long posts - makes me feel better about my own waffle!

I have subscribed so I can keep up with your successes
    Tesco CC 020718: £3502.86/240918: £3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys cashed £14.84/cleared £21.45/pending £0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    50ps challenge:£19.00 5ps challenge: £4.10

• Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th Oct 18, 12:19 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thank you Lucifa 😊 I love a waffle! I find it good therapy and looking back how the progress is /isn't going. We've got more debt slightly than when I started this diary, but chuffed all works to house and holiday hace been saved and we've now got 1k in the EF. It's weird I treat it as my confession.

Regular saver didn't open as tried to move from savings account and computer said no! Need to contact them.

Today's Update now the bank finally caught up with spending, budget shot but we're still hanging in there!

- joint Balance - £121.69 in credit
    - my balance £124.60 saving my monthly pocket money for hubby birthday & Xmas pressies
    - EF £1000, going to sort regular saver out and use £300
    -no overdrafts in use 😁
    -all payments upto date
    -credit score gone from 507 to 509 on clear score

Cash due
    -Amazon refund 1 £35.22 recd and in balance
    -Amazon refund 2 £7.99 outstanding due soon
    -Bio oil £20 + p&p outstanding due ???
    -Hubby course £150 outstanding due ???
    -£15 in old notes still to change, need hubs to do soon!

NSD today - although school pics came home so signed my life away for £17.99 this will come out near pay day fingers crossed still not didn't it today so bit counting it!

Using store cupboard and freezer supplies, made chicken soup from leftovers from last night's dinner. Normally would have made curry but bird was teeny!

Crossing off the fats until pay day! I still need to sort our budget on my worksheeet, but I have worked out I'll received about £300 sick pay. That's £400 down so need to keep the focus.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,185Posts Today

8,608Users online

Martin's Twitter