Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 31st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 106Posts
    • 129Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission 31st Dec 17 at 11:35 AM
    With the new year arriving tomorrow I've decided to start a new diary. My old was depressing me, as you could track the debt increasing slowly over time so I'm starting over. Fresh new diary to keep track of my spending and keeping us afloat.

My main aim this year is to stop adding to the debt! No more credit card use or falling into the overdraft at the end of the month. Our debt stands at 16271.56 over two Zopa loans. I'd love to overpay, but the reality at the minute is there's no spare cash as have large expenditure coming up in first half of the year. We have a good income, but money is tight. Have trimmed and cancelled everything I can and without giving the children away, i know we can't cut back anymore.

So this is my plan, it's official and in writing so set in stone for Jan/Feb/Mar
    - save 2200 for much needed house repair, have set target needs to be done by MAY
    - pay as much as possible off kids school trips 200 / 384 owed
    - save 50 a month towards an emergency fund 400 target
    - save 50 a month towards christmas, to avoid panic next year and hope to increase
    - withdraw 75 a week to food wallet and only spend cash on food - hope to decrease shopping budget massively, use up freezer supplies and get inventive with my meals.
    - only shop once a week and stop 'topping' co-op and meal plan
    - declutter and sell, sell, sell
    - try and look for a part time job to fit around my current role
    -have as many NSD as possible - at least 20 a month

Need to stay focused, meal plan and keep logging on here for motivation. Right choccy....this is my kick up botty you need!

Happy New Year!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
Page 4
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 7th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thanks ramblehan.

Apologies now for what is bound to be a long abd waffling post. Need to clear my thoughts and jot our progress. Have been slowly chipping away but not feeling like we're making progress. All direct debits have been taken and we're offically skint! Food budgeting is going well and freezer starting to empty. We've been all been off work over Easter and have been pottering around the house not spending a lot.

I've spent an afternoon putting things on eBay and local fb sites. Sold 20 on fb which is squirrelled away in a tin in the kitchen.

Hubby and I sat down and went through our spending last month which really surprised him. He's not completely on board and suggested food sorvds are only in cash. I took out 100 last Saturday for the fortnight and we've around 25 left. Going to stay with family most of next week so that'll help. We need to scrape through to the end of month again.

The good news is I only have 119 left to pay on school trips which is a massive relief! The Christmas savings are still at 1.04 abd there's nothing in the EF! House fund I'm hoping to add another 500 to it this month so on track for target in May. That's certainly one thing I'll be really pleased to achieve!

My little second job has finished now, but I did get paid an extra 234 this month. I've been looking for something else, but have secured some exam invigilating in the summer which always pays well.

I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about money and lack of it! I can't wait for the debt of be gone and it currently stands at 15075 abd some oddments. Next month we'll see it drop below 15k which is feels good!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
  • archived user
    Hey Choccy girl. All sounds good to me. Impressed your DH sat down and went through budgets - even if he's not fully onboard it's progress.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    I really need to post more often to keep my moyvation. Hubby is on board, but doesn't grasp our costs. He doesn't realise how much the bills are but he's trying so can't knock that!

12 days to pay day and we are offically skint. I went and visited family with the kids for few days. Our spending was low on food etc, but heavy on the fuel. We have nothing planned for the rest of the month thankfully and it's bavk to freezer and store cupboard surprise!

I have been on a mission selling bits and bobs and I've sold 35 worth of bits on Facebook in last couple days. I've got two more items to be collected for 55 so that's all going into the food wallet for the bits we have to buy. I'd love to get to the end of the month and still have enough for a takeaway treat.

My plan for the rest of the month is not to spend anything on joint account. We have lurched back into the overdraft this month as expected with the kids scouting fees going out a month earlier than expecting 120 on two camps.

Next month's plan
    - finish paying kids school trips 110
    - Pay 2200 for house repair once completed 19th May - balance out of this next month's wages
    - stick to food budget and use cash only
    Last edited by Choccygirl123; 18-04-2018 at 9:17 AM.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th Apr 18, 9:10 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    I can't believe i forgot to mention that our two combined loans will drop below 15000. Whoooo hooooo that's a great milestone for me. I've only manage to pay around 50 off since starting my new diary, due to life getting in the way.
    Last edited by Choccygirl123; 18-04-2018 at 9:17 AM.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 14th May 18, 9:36 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Need to post more to stay focussed!
    Nearly a whole month without posting and I feel guilty! The great news is that we've finally hit the 2000 for the house project and builder booked. I still need to save 229 next month but i feel like a weight has been lifted. May is going to be a tight month and we're nearly in the dreaded overdraft. Needs must and both the kids needed new shorts, t-shirts and bits for summer which we bought on Saturday. Aiming to keep the OD under 300, which will be hard but I'll get imaginative with the meal planning! Both cars have fuel and we will swap them around so I use car with less fuel as have a lot shorter commute than hubby!

The kid's school trips have all been finally paid off in full, we've paid 125 for scouting subs and last instalment on a summer camp. It's a lovely feeling knowing that there's nothing child related due to be paid next month for school, scouting, music or sport. (Phew huge sigh of relief)

Bad news is that we have no money in the EF after coughing up 215 this month - for two front tyres for my car, that were only just legal. That's 5 brand new tyres in 2018...no wonder there's no EF!, but at least not on a credit card.

No credit card use in 13months but we dip in and out of OD.

Debts currently stand at Loan 1 - 10277.69 & Loan 2 - 4500.53 = TOTAL 14778.22
    Feels so good to see it finally under 15k. We will continue just paying the planned repayments Having the 2 loans separately means we get a small milestone every other month either each of them dropping into next K or combined below next K. Although not planning to overpay at the minute, it's still encouraging to see.

The master plan JUN / JUL / AUG / SEPT
    - save 229 balance for builder from June
    - clear o/s OD from this month (hoping to limiting 300)
    - limit our weekend away in caravan (sun holiday) spend to 100 inc food out and activities
    - save like mad for our caravan holiday in summer. Booked and paid for before current LMB with small windfall
    - Never fall back into OD
    - Start saving for kid's music lessons normally due mid summer 250
    - Keep meal planning and using cash wallet
    - Declutter and keep selling, pluck up the courage to do a car boot sale
    - Post at least Every other day to keep the focus on not spending
    - Start counting NSD properly and stay out the local shop in-between weekly shops

There that sounds easy, lets see how it goes. I know we need an EF, but at the minute we have 20euros for a two week holiday in France. That won't even cover the tolls. I have spoken to the holiday company and we can't reduce to a week or cancel without losing a stack of money. Timing is rubbish and it'll put us back a few months before tackling the debt, but it'll be the first proper holiday in three years so we're going to embrace it!

A massive waffling post I'm afraid, but that's the downside to not posting regularly! Promise to keep it short and sweet and very regular from now on.

Enjoy the sunshine!
  • archived user
    Hey Choccy. I always find we are 2 steps forward and 3 back so no difference here. I had to get 3 tyres this month too so wiped out my car fund and some of my EF. I guess the reality is tyres shouldn't need to come out of an EF, so the question is, are you saving enough each month to a car pot? I know I'm not!

Holiday sounds lovely. We have a big one planned too for 2 weeks to France and need to save loads for it (at the expense of saving for car pots and other things- oh well!) But no regrets here...the thought of going has sustained me the last few months. I'm planning to put by 500 a month for next 3 months. Next year our holiday will have to be cheaper as I'm going to only save 200 a month to the pot and throw the rest at debt busting.

Is there any topcashback or survey stuff you can do to bring anything in?
    Or charity shop to get nice clothes? If you go often between now and hold you'll be able to find bits and pieces each time you go.

Where are you heading to? We're off to Provence to stay by a river. Xxx
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Hi ramble, nice to see you popping by again. You're right we're not saving enough for car hassles. In all honesty I've stopped putting cash in lot the 'pot' as have been concentrating so much on the house savings.

I do shop in charity shops but live in a posh part of the south west and primary cheaper for my teenagers. I do use quidco which is fab. I've tried surveys, but not been very successful. I have picked up some causal hours at local
    School for exam season.

We're staying on the France / Spain border on the coast, so hopefully will be able to enjoy the sunshine!

Once holiday out the way we'll be in stronger position. The children's trips have been a killer 600 each, music lessons 750 and scouts camps on top. The kids understand how expensive they are and it's a real treat and they've saved spending money and have been doing jobs around the house.

Realistic aim for rest of 2018 is to build an ef, car pot and Xmas savings. Once we get those pots upto a decent level, I'm going to start of the smaller of the Zopa loan.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Today's positive motivation - sunshine & cake with my bestie before work.

Spending - my turn to buy pastries (will keep it cheap as possible a mbd use shrapnel out my own wallet) no other cash out today planned!

OD currently 239.59 not great but did big shop yesterday abd we have plenty of fuel in both cars. Still feeling positive I can make the 60.41 last until my payday on 25th. Lazy weekend planned pottering to save fuel and cash!
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Just when I thought we were all paid up on the school trips there's two day trips coming up 16 each! Have booked spaces and will pay on pay day. Phew still 60.41 left before we reach the our 300 target in the od.

Offically a non spend day for the family although I did spend 3.09 sharpnel out of my own spends on the pastries.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th May 18, 7:16 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Yesterday.....
    Was a spendy day, but not through choice!

Hospital car parking 4.70
    Coffees x 2 (long wait for appointment) 3.70
    Shopping for school cookery class & oddments to top up for weekend 18.30

Total spend 26.70 ouch - balance left 33.71

It's going to be tight but determined not to go over 300 overdrawn before paid day!
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    It's 5:30 and we're still offically a non spend day. I've just collect two lovely metal hanging baskets from freecycle and hubby asked if I wanted and chocolate. Silly question I always do, but I said no so we don't end up in the co-op blowing 10 in junk.

Tomorrow was going to be nsd, but I'm going to splash out on some plants for the free baskets 10 or less! That'll leave 23, but we have meat and most staples in. Will need more fruit and yougurts for next week but I know it can be done.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 21st May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Weekend update
    What a beautiful weekend. We made the most of it by enjoying it at home, potterIng in the house, watching the wedding and playing cards with the children.

Spending this weekend was to the bone, but we're still under the 300 target in the overdraft. (By a few pence!) We had an unplanned bbq which bumped up spending, but wanted to make most of the sunshine. Plants bought and baskets done. Garden is starting to look great.

Budget for June is done so roll on pay day this week!
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 22nd May 18, 7:07 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Quick update.....yesterday was a NSD

Have picked up 2.5hoyes extra work today but it's an 22mile round trip and car needs fuel. Gutted as means I'm tipping over the 300 od limit. Will stick 20 in.

Have a 5 Morrison's voucher and 2,71 Asda price guarantee voucher from receipt I wombled so that should cover bread, milk apples and cereal bars.

Soooo close to pay day think thurs/fri and we've failed to stick to the limit....damn that fuel!
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 23rd May 18, 7:57 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Yesterday was a shopping day but with the Asda & Morrison's vouchers it was free! As I went through the till in M I received another 5 voucher so nipped back in to buy burgers and bbq chicken to use it up!

Fuel was 20.02 grrrr hate when not a round number. Hubby's car needs fuel too, so that'll be another 10 today taking us to 330 into our OD. Still chuffed managed to get it down this month by 120ish
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 23rd May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Had a productive morning before I go to work and complete 8.29 in surveys. All pending but hopefully will be approved. I've only started on Saturday and have 3.25 in my account. Never had much success but prolific seem to love crazy middle aged mums!

Checked our banking and we were actually 503.79 OD when I got paid last month. Had aimed for 300 but still chuffed to bits will have cleared over 150 this month! Always seem to be in and out of it !!!128556;
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 23rd May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    I'm loving the surveys! Never had much joy, but seem to be perfect target audience now.

Have 6.06 confirmed waiting for pay out and 7.45 pending. Really chuffed it's worth logging on couple of times a day to see what's added!
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 24th May 18, 4:51 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Another quick update to keep the focus!

NSD family money
    Tea and pastry (out of my spends) 4.75 treat catch up with a good friend
    Survey money waiting to cash out 11.31 & 4.80 pending. Not bad for 6 days of answering few questions.
    Freezer surprise tea of tea pie, cauli & peas
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 25th May 18, 7:59 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    It's my pay day! OD tally up
    Yay at least some money in!

End of the month tally up - In OD by 428.04 offically as I have around 100 bills that go out today. We didn't manage to stick to the 300 target and fuel pushed us to 330, but I didn't allow for bills. I'll include those bills from now so it gives me a better picture on pay day. We've only paid 75.75 off it from last month, but even a little is better than nothing!

Our joint account is currently 50.68 in credit so at least all my wages haven't been swallowed up again! As for this month's plan will update in a bit.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 29th May 18, 1:48 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Survived the bank holiday with minimum spending. Did a full food shop which was a bit higher than hoped but had to stack up on carbs for store cupboard. Amazingly used all rice, pasta, spaghetti and noodles so had chance to clean the cupboard out properly. The shopping I bought should keep us going for 2/3 weeks. Am still using up meat and frozen veg out the freezer so next shop should be smaller.

Surveys have slowed down, but guess it's because everyone at home on the bank holiday.
    19.21 confirmed and 6.82 pending.

We are thinking of adding 2k to our smallest Zopa loan (paying off loan 2 4200 & 2k) which would add 8 a month to repayments and extevdvut back to 60months. Not ideal and I'm
    In two minds. We've booked builders to do works on the house and he's quoted for extra work originally. If we wait and save for him to come back it'll be around 600 more as can't use same skip abd it's duplicating some of the works.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 29th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Decisions decisions
    I think it makes sense to do house works in one go and save the costs of 600. Gutted as it's pushing our debt up again, but financially makes sense. If I apply to extend loan by 2k it does extend loan back to 60months, but my plan is to over pay from next year.

Arrrrghhh it's driving me crazy. Ohh the positive that'd be the house finished and safe, dry and finally sorted!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,348Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin