Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 31st Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 622Posts
    • 1,910Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission 31st Dec 17 at 10:35 AM
    With the new year arriving tomorrow I've decided to start a new diary. My old was depressing me, as you could track the debt increasing slowly over time so I'm starting over. Fresh new diary to keep track of my spending and keeping us afloat.

My main aim this year is to stop adding to the debt! No more credit card use or falling into the overdraft at the end of the month. Our debt stands at 16271.56 over two Zopa loans. I'd love to overpay, but the reality at the minute is there's no spare cash as have large expenditure coming up in first half of the year. We have a good income, but money is tight. Have trimmed and cancelled everything I can and without giving the children away, i know we can't cut back anymore.

So this is my plan, it's official and in writing so set in stone for Jan/Feb/Mar
    - save 2200 for much needed house repair, have set target needs to be done by MAY
    - pay as much as possible off kids school trips 200 / 384 owed
    - save 50 a month towards an emergency fund 400 target
    - save 50 a month towards christmas, to avoid panic next year and hope to increase
    - withdraw 75 a week to food wallet and only spend cash on food - hope to decrease shopping budget massively, use up freezer supplies and get inventive with my meals.
    - only shop once a week and stop 'topping' co-op and meal plan
    - declutter and sell, sell, sell
    - try and look for a part time job to fit around my current role
    -have as many NSD as possible - at least 20 a month

Need to stay focused, meal plan and keep logging on here for motivation. Right choccy....this is my kick up botty you need!

Happy New Year!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
Page 23
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th May 19, 8:36 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,910 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Productive day spent 3 hours tidying up the freezer. After watching a gmtv thing I've removed all the random things out of the bags and boxes. All now neatly labelled, frozen flat and air removed. It's amazing how much space a bag of onion rings can take up!

I made huge batch of tomato base sauce for chilli, lasagne and spag bol. Found loads of random things like 1/2 bag kidney beans etc which have now all been bagged together in true batch lady style.

Hubby spent 50 in the butchers (ouch) and has to go back to collect stewing beef today. He did buy a bbq pack as a treat for weekend, 5kgs chicken breast, 2kgs extra lean mince.

I made 8 portions chicken breast with spinach and ricotta wrapped in Parma ham. It was amazing with some new spuds and carrots last night. 4 breast in the freezer, but all agreed chicken breasts too big and 2 breasts with stack of veg enough!

Bagged up 8 portions creamy garlic chicken, 10 portions beef stroganoff, 6 portions chilli, 6 portions spag bol, 8 portions bride's chicken, 6 medium pizza Tom Sauce, 12 portions Tom sauce base. I've frozen the rest of the chicken breasts carefully so they don't stick together.

I've completed a full inventory and planned meals with the other fish and meat. With only a little shopping to bulk out (potatoes and more veg) there's over 100 meals. I finally feel in control of my meal planning. The budget has been blown this week 165 (instead of 150 for fortnight) but we're prepped and organised with about 6hours research on batch lady website and bagging up/cooking.

My plan is use the freezer supplies for rest of the month and we'll only need odd veg to bulk out meals, fruit and sandwich bits. My DD is away for few days on a residential trip, so that'll save me a few .
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th May 19, 8:45 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,910 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Cash update

2k has cleared off my CC - leaves 700 to pay
    350 ordered daughter's chest of drawers
    Added cash to dinner money account
    Bought New walking trousers each for kids
    More fuel

Available balance joint account - 187.70

Money in
    CB payment 137.60 due 21/5/19
    ESA payment 146.20 due 28/5/19

Payment out
    CC min payment rounded up 100 due 28/5/19
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 16th May 19, 2:57 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 12,115 Thanks
    teafor2
    Blimey CG, you're on fire today It's also amazing how much room a bag of frozen yorkshire pudds takes up - although not sure I should be publicly admitting I buy them

I can't believe you've got 100 meals in stock, I definitely need to watch Batch Lady later on tonight.

The CC balance is looking great Are you aiming to pay 100 every month? If so it'll be gone by the end of the year xx
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 17th May 19, 1:50 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,910 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Tea do you buy Yorkshires lol! I always make my own as hubby hates little ones. Let me know if you want the recipes, it's a quick and easy guaranteed monsters.

I know it's crazy I'm this organised! I'm sure it won't last just want something sorted in case I have to stay in after my op.

Hubby popped to butchers for my stewing steak (yep for freezer) so a little spend from yesterday. Available balance looking healthy for a change, especially with more money due in soon.

Balance 167.63

I've rounded up the min to 100 but hoping to clear it in 5months before 0% deal finishes.

Hubby and I have been chatting and think after horrendous few months we're going to book a uk holiday in August. Setting the budget as 1000 for travel, accommodation and entertainment. Will save extra for good but planning on SC with odd treat like fish & chips.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 17th May 19, 2:45 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 12,115 Thanks
    teafor2
    I do buy them CG, but I'm feeling very rebellious today and refuse to hang my head in shame. I can and do make my own but DS prefers the shop bought ones - heathen that he is, and he's fussy about food so I'd rather do that so he eats them - plus no scraping of the tin afterwards - yes mine are scrummy but they do stick.

I think the holiday is more than well deserved and will give you something to look forward to. Do you have an idea of which part of the country you want to go to?

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. xx
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th May 19, 9:00 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,910 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    You make me laugh tea and I don't blame you. None of my friends make them because they haven't got the 'secret' I never had much luck until I bought a pampered chef muffin stonewear tray. I wipe with teeny bit of oil on kitchen paper as it's so well seasoned.

I've not really looked yet and to be honest I'd be happy with a week in Aldi's car park just to get away. I've set up a budget for savings and thinking about food will buy odd bits and bobs I can hoard so there's no big shop.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th May 19, 12:31 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,910 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Quick trip to the supermarket for fruit bread and milk to keep us going for next few days. DD needs some cash for food on her trip back and forth to her residential so will get the car out this weekend.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 19th May 19, 9:37 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,910 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Life plodding on and trying to keep spends to a minimum. Going to drop DD friend home and nip to supermarket. Youngest needs toiletries and nibbles for her residential so that's going to be 15 at least! Going to get hubby to fill the car up whilst we're there, as cheaper fuel. He's always running it really low, which isn't good! I found some fuel cleaner in the garage yesterday so will get that added.

Have been blitzing the house slowly over last couple of weeks, so it's looking lovely and tidy. Spent a bit of time on garden so trying to reclaim that bit of my life too.

However, I need to get rid of the junk! The youngest has sorted her room and created a pile on the landing of her old books she wants to get rid of. I'm going to try and have a good sort to do a car boot sale on the BH.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 19th May 19, 12:45 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 12,115 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi CG Just popping by to say hello. Hope you've all had a lovely weekend.

Sounds like you're getting back into the swing of things slowly but surely. Are the DC's on half term next week? Even our local schools have different holidays now so I never know who's doing what. xx
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 19th May 19, 5:50 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,910 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    I know every county seems to have different term times. Mine finish on Friday and boy are they ready. Youngest going on her residential so no doubt when she's back on Tuesday she'll sleep well!

I'm buzzing today! Finally listed the kid's huge wooden play fort thing and sold it to a neighbour for 100. It means I've smashed my 500 sealed pot challenge with 569.07! All extra income made from surveys, cashback and selling my declutterings.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 19th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 12,115 Thanks
    teafor2
    Well Done CG I know I say this all the time but I really mean it, under the circumstances you're doing brilliantly.

Bet DD is really excited for her residential isn't she. Is this part of her DofE Award or just a 'normal' school trip?

Is your op still going ahead this month as planned? Bet you can't wait to get that over and done with can you. xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,782Posts Today

7,086Users online

Martin's Twitter