Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 31st Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 567Posts
    • 1,720Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission
    • 31st Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission 31st Dec 17 at 10:35 AM
    With the new year arriving tomorrow I've decided to start a new diary. My old was depressing me, as you could track the debt increasing slowly over time so I'm starting over. Fresh new diary to keep track of my spending and keeping us afloat.

My main aim this year is to stop adding to the debt! No more credit card use or falling into the overdraft at the end of the month. Our debt stands at 16271.56 over two Zopa loans. I'd love to overpay, but the reality at the minute is there's no spare cash as have large expenditure coming up in first half of the year. We have a good income, but money is tight. Have trimmed and cancelled everything I can and without giving the children away, i know we can't cut back anymore.

So this is my plan, it's official and in writing so set in stone for Jan/Feb/Mar
    - save 2200 for much needed house repair, have set target needs to be done by MAY
    - pay as much as possible off kids school trips 200 / 384 owed
    - save 50 a month towards an emergency fund 400 target
    - save 50 a month towards christmas, to avoid panic next year and hope to increase
    - withdraw 75 a week to food wallet and only spend cash on food - hope to decrease shopping budget massively, use up freezer supplies and get inventive with my meals.
    - only shop once a week and stop 'topping' co-op and meal plan
    - declutter and sell, sell, sell
    - try and look for a part time job to fit around my current role
    -have as many NSD as possible - at least 20 a month

Need to stay focused, meal plan and keep logging on here for motivation. Right choccy....this is my kick up botty you need!

Happy New Year!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
Page 20
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 1st Apr 19, 7:16 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning CG Just popping in to say hello. Hope everything is OK with you and the family and that you had a nice Mother's Day. School finishes this Friday in this neck of the woods but I think that's very early. Not complaining though, a more leisurely start to the day is always welcome xx
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 1st Apr 19, 12:51 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Oh Choccy, i'm sorry it had to get to the point you're losing your sh** before your family take notice. It's pretty common in this house too, although doesn't have the same effect. Yes, my house is a tip when the boys just leave everything at their backsides, but i don't have trouble getting around. It's not only irritating, but totally thoughtless so I'm glad your rant worked. Hope it doesn't get to that stage next time.

I really hope you get your claims in place soon to keep your finances ticking along nicely. It must be worrying knowing this is your last sick pay, but you're a genuine claimant so hopefully they don't hold things up too much for you.

Sometimes we all need a good rant and/ or cry so it's healthy to let that out. Hope you're feeling a bit better.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target 10,000
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 2nd Apr 19, 7:35 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thank you fir both popping in. The weekend was very quite and I ended up with a horrendous viral bug, but the kids were lovely and hubby cooked roast pork.

I've had both my esa and pip assessments. The esa was straight forward enough, check of my paperwork etc so hopefully will get my confirmation letter in 2/3 weeks and more importantly some cash. The pip assessment was brutal and I really struggled. Once the nurse had finished and put everything away, she said she's not a decision maker (Dian to dwp) but she said she'd be surprised if I didn't get anything awarded.

It's a rollercoaster I really hope the pip assessment is successful, but I feel mortified that I'm having to claim it. My real world friends have no clue about my mental health issues and that added to my disability that I'm in such a state.

Money wise ouch! Shane old sane old.....waiting for rent to come in so account looks a bit healthier. The youngest needed new shoes and school skirts (can't manage any longer so I've pinched 200 out the EF. Going to get a food shop with change. It's there for a reason. Will hopefully be able to put it back once esa starts paying.
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 4th Apr 19, 11:31 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi CG Yuk to the viral bug, especially over Mother's Day weekend

Glad you've got both the assessments out of the way. I know it's easy for me to say, but the help is there for people who need it, and there's absolutely no shame in claiming. Hopefully, it's just a short-ish term stop gap and you'll be back at work in the future. I can understand everything that's happening is having a real impact on your mental health. Do you have somebody professional to talk to?

You're right the EF is there for things that crop up unexpectedly and I'm absolutely convinced your DD will see a skirt and new shoes as an emergency - even if they are for school

Hopefully, the awards will come through soon and you'll be able to get back on track with things, although I think you're doing a fantastic job of keeping it all together. Try not to be so hard on yourself. xx
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 4th Apr 19, 11:07 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thank you tea, your support means a lot. You know my real life story so can fill in the gaps missing. Mental health - I do have a therapist I speak to every week for my diagnosis of ptsd. It's helping I think, but it's going to take time.

With regards to EF, at least the money is being borrowed from that abd I've not just opened up my bank! I'm so selfish now after all hubby never treats us out of his money so fair is fair.

Did have a quick trip to homesense tonight (my first proper shop since Christmas) bought foodie treats for our friends in Germany. Need to get them boxed up and on their way. It was so nice to be out even though it was in the wheelchair. I feel like I've lost so many months of my life and it's time I get it back.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 5th Apr 19, 7:22 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning CG Just swinging by to say I hope you're feeling a bit better about things today. Glad to hear you have somebody to talk to. I can imagine how frustrating all this must be for you, especially when your mobility is affected, but keep going, it might be one step forwards, 2 steps back at the moment but you will get there. xx

Totally agree about taking the money out of the EF instead of your own - we've come a long way over the past few months haven't we

Have a lovely weekend and be kind to yourself. xx
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 12th Apr 19, 7:38 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi CG - hope all is well with you and the family. We've had a few days away so I'm catching up with everybody tonight. Hopefully it won't be long before you hear about your money now. Take care of yourself. xx
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 14th Apr 19, 12:14 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thanks tea, I'm pleased you've had a good break at your van. we've had a lovely week with hubby and children....a real Staycation. We've spent quite a bit on odd trips and treTs, but this was always the plan whilst we've got hubby off. I need to redo the budgets and make sure we end the month on track. Hopefully should hear about the ESA just after Easter and pip is still weeks to go!

I did think of you the other day when I opened up 5 new pots (accounts with the Halifax) for my new pots when the benefit settles until I'm back to work. Budget centres are cars, dog, school stuff, children's birthdays and a misc. I do already have my sealed pot bank account for Christmas. Looking forward to knowing what'll be incoming so I can start building the savings in these.

I'm soevding the day whilst my log off to a sports tournament and I'm enjoying every minute! Time suddenly seems a luxury now school holidays are here. Going to catch up on some dairies, as haven't been around for ages.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 15th Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    pidge04
    Thank you so much for your positive message on my diary.
    Hope it’s all going well with you. What a good idea to put away for Christmas throughout the year.
    O/D 1000/800
    CC 5400/2950
    LOAN 10000/3692
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 15th Apr 19, 1:50 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thanks pidge. The Christmas savings are from Quidco, surveys and any ebay / Facebook sales. I've thought about about trying to keep it all in a pot for a purpose, but never been this organised before. It's amazing how quickly it's adding up and we've not missed any of it as it's all extra income.

Today is our first non speed day in the first time in ages! We're having a very quiet rest of the month until pay day so I'm hoping this is 1/10!
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th Apr 19, 8:31 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Getting out and about is certainly good for the soul, but not the wallet tea. We had a great week and hubby certainly needed the holiday. It's been a stressing full months with my health issues.

I'm due what will hopefully be my final surgery sometime in May and life can get back on track. I've still no news or update on my esa or pip application. We've made the tough decision to cancel the cleaner. It is becoming harder and harder to find the cash. I've dug out the black mould remover and given my en suite a blitz.

Money wise the account is look empty, but it could be worse! Balance 150.63 / available 148.63. Hubby's car needs fuel so that'll be 60 gone later. Need to do a food shop, but have enough to wait until weekend. At least the Easter eggs for kids and hubby have bee bought!

The child benefit is due into our account on 23rd, a week today but trying to eek cash in account as far as possible without touching the CB. I've created some saving pots and my plan is to use the CB to help fund them as it is paid into same bank as pots are held with. Woukd love to start it this month but need to see what other expenses come up.

Cars 50
    Dog - grooming, treatments & food 50
    School uniform / stuff 25
    Birthdays 12.30

Ideally need to up the car and dog savings, but this would be a start. We currently pay car tax and insurance monthly for both cars. Woukd love to save for these throughout the year, but I'm concentrating on building a service and mot pot first.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 16th Apr 19, 8:53 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Hi Choccy, just catching up on your diary this morning. You're doing great with planning ahead and getting all the new pots on the go. It's all you can do at this point I suppose, until your money situation is clearer.

I'm glad you've been out and about too - it's good for the soul to change your scenery.

Hope you manage to stretch out your budget until the end of the month
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 16th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning CG I'm going to start by saying how brilliantly I think you're doing under the circumstances you're in. It's bad enough staying on track with money when you're 100% fit and able, but to be doing it while you're dealing with health issues - well, I just hope you give yourself a regular pat on the back

That's a shame about the cleaner, I know you've said it's a big help at the moment. Are you very particular or will you be able to turn a blind eye to some things until you're better. I used to be OTT with the house but can happily let things go for a while these days until I'm feeling up to tackling them. As long as we're tidy and on top of the basics I'm happy. I really don't feel the need to dust the skirting boards every week these days

Hope you manage to siphon off some CB into your pots. You know how I love a pot

Have a lovely day and go easy on yourself. xx
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th Apr 19, 10:42 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Getting rid of the cleaner was a combo of things really inclyding having to find cash but then find out instead of being in the house for 2hours she's only been there 1.5hours was the deciding factor. I don't trust her and when you're paying someone by the hour that's taking the mick. I'm not picky but she refuses to clean shower cubicle as doesn't like getting feet wet!

It's been building for few weeks like she brings her dog whilst we're not in the house and I know my dog doesn't get on well with hers. I find she's happy doing the bits I can clean but hasn't once cleaned bathroom mirrors etc. I'm pleased made the decision, would rather give the children the option of earning extra cash by helping.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 16th Apr 19, 11:03 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Oh wow - she doesn't sound very thorough! Why be a cleaner if you refuse to clean a shower cubicle? She's done well to retain your business for this long, in my eyes. Sounds like the right decision all round
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th Apr 19, 11:18 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thanks HG, i think I've been easy going and she's got comfortable. As I say she's great at glancing over everything and doing carpets and floors. I just came home after her last visit and thought what has she done! No dusting in lounge but she's recleaned all the things I can do in my wheelchair....but not even the oven splash back. It's been a help, but I'm getting better in myself and thinking I Potter between visits and I'm now not feeling the benefit.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th Apr 19, 11:46 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Finally a little luck! I returned a pair of shoes to Clark's a couple of weeks ago as the leather had split within only 6 weeks. I'd already bought another pair for my daughter replacing these. I've revived an email saying they'll refund the full 46 which is a complete bonus.

The CB is definitely looking safer now!
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 17th Apr 19, 10:22 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    My Clark's refund has hit our joint account this month so balance looking but healthier 196.63 available 171.79 after hubby nipped to the supermarket this morning on the way to work. He's filled the car up with fuel too. Which will leave us approx 120 until pay day, which is in 13 days.

I've written to amaz0n yesterday about a shredder I bought from them in January. I've used four times and it's broken! I'm really annoyed as was 35! They replied saying I can return for a refund. Going to get it boxed up and sent back but need to find a replacement. I'm going to put the refund into the misc pot until I do find one.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th Apr 19, 9:35 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    The joint account has had a few transactions in and out. Hubby's fuel and s bit of food has gone out, the shredder refund arrived. I'm not going to move this cash or replace the shredder for the minute.The kids have a scout camp that's due next month, but I'm going to pay them both to get them out the way. (70 for both) using some of the shredder cash, which will leave account at 90 approx. Need to do a good food shop after I plan meals for the rest of month and that'll leave the account nearly empty.

Still no sign of my esa or pip decision yet. I'm frustrated the esa taking so long. The positive when it does arrive they'll bank date it. I should be able to add the 'missing' cash from EF and pay off extra on the credit card.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th Apr 19, 2:49 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Gutted! I've called again (3rd time) to see if my esa has been processed as it's 3 weeks. They've only recover the email of my claim details today, so it'll take another 10 working days or so! The lady I spoke to was amazing and suggested applying for an advance as it's going to take so long. I find out by 6pm today if I will receive anything.

Hubby has finished work early and is on his way to do the food shop. The
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

1,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin