Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 31st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 512Posts
    • 1,553Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission
    • 31st Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    2018 New year, new focus and new mission 31st Dec 17 at 11:35 AM
    With the new year arriving tomorrow I've decided to start a new diary. My old was depressing me, as you could track the debt increasing slowly over time so I'm starting over. Fresh new diary to keep track of my spending and keeping us afloat.

My main aim this year is to stop adding to the debt! No more credit card use or falling into the overdraft at the end of the month. Our debt stands at 16271.56 over two Zopa loans. I'd love to overpay, but the reality at the minute is there's no spare cash as have large expenditure coming up in first half of the year. We have a good income, but money is tight. Have trimmed and cancelled everything I can and without giving the children away, i know we can't cut back anymore.

So this is my plan, it's official and in writing so set in stone for Jan/Feb/Mar
    - save 2200 for much needed house repair, have set target needs to be done by MAY
    - pay as much as possible off kids school trips 200 / 384 owed
    - save 50 a month towards an emergency fund 400 target
    - save 50 a month towards christmas, to avoid panic next year and hope to increase
    - withdraw 75 a week to food wallet and only spend cash on food - hope to decrease shopping budget massively, use up freezer supplies and get inventive with my meals.
    - only shop once a week and stop 'topping' co-op and meal plan
    - declutter and sell, sell, sell
    - try and look for a part time job to fit around my current role
    -have as many NSD as possible - at least 20 a month

Need to stay focused, meal plan and keep logging on here for motivation. Right choccy....this is my kick up botty you need!

Happy New Year!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
Page 14
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 9th Jan 19, 10:58 AM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning Hope you're feeling better today. Colds make you feel lousy. It irritates me when schools say 'it's only a cold' and children are expected to work through them. A full blown one makes you feel rotten.

People tackle things differently with money and challenges. Only you will know what works best for you and your family.

Great news on the water bottle refund, especially if it still works.

Have a great day and don't be over-doing things! x
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 9th Jan 19, 7:40 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    The children's school really push them to be in, no matter what. A few days off abd they do miss quite s lot, but I think better to have a day off than keep pushing them on and they can't concentrate.

I'm not sure if our money saving / routine working yet, but I do feel in more control. Time will tell and it's the keeping it up that'll count. Hubby and I chatting last night and we're hoping to be debt free by 31/12/2020. It'll take a miracle if not back to work for quite some time. Once I'm back to work my extra income can all go straight to the debt.

400 paid off out of our 7500 in 2019.
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 10th Jan 19, 8:13 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Busy day with medical trip and potttering around the house. The cleaner has come so my floors are lovely and clean. House looking great, but spare room still need works.

Bit of spends day, but could have been worse. We did have late lunch which I paid for out my spends.

28 cleaner, 2.65 parking & 2 on crisps as treat

Won't need much shopping at weekend so hopefully Nsd until Sunday then 15 or less on food.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 10th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hope the medical appointment went OK It's nice to have a treat now and then and even better if the money is there.

You're shopping budget is really good. I need to look at ours. It seems to be getting out of hand but I'm wondering if that's because I'm not funding bits and pieces any more. x
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Jan 19, 8:46 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thanks tea, yep just a check up so all positive.

I'm in shock at food budget and think finally have it under control. The meal planning is definitely the secret and I've planned until 18th. Will plan for the rest of month and ensure we have at least two meat free evening meals. This is definitely helping on budget and encouraging the children to fill up on veg. We e nearly finished the Christmas excess so just choccies, biscuits and crackers left!
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    It's the 12th and our official 6th nsd, which I'm chuffed with! Can always do better though so setting Sunday as our next spend day for top up shopping.

Joint account still doing well. I've ordered a couple of eye craft bits that I messed up which PayPal card I used. Had to move 3.68 to cover it. Hubby paid for lunch yesterday on joint card and I moved cash from my account for that. It'll take a day or two for these spends to catch up, but it'll get there.

Balance 302.68 / available 253.40
    My account 158.65
    EF 1000.65
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 11th Jan 19, 9:05 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Adjusted budget
    20 sleeps to hubby pay days
    17 sleeps to my pay day
    Available balance 253.40

Set spends (118 total)
    Cleaner 28
    My car mot 40
    Youngest school trip 50

Variable (135.40)
    Fuel 30
    Food 105.40

I think we may need more fuel than is in the budget and food budget so tight. I'm not going to pay the balance on school trip until end of the month so we can use this as a buffer. It's not due for couple months but would like it out the way as have other activities to pay next month.

That's the plan, just need to stick to it! Next month willl be just as tight but things will hopefully be better in March as last deduction to hr will be repaid.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 11th Jan 19, 9:24 AM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning Love your sleep countdowns to payday. There should be chocolate calendars for this, like Advent. Ooh maybe I've just hit upon a business idea.

6 NSD's is absolutely brilliant especially with the rules you've put in place for yourselves

Honestly don't think any month is particularly easy when you've got children. There's always something that's needed. But like you say if you have an idea of what's coming up and you've got a plan it helps.

Have a great day.
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 11th Jan 19, 12:53 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    sorry not to check in sooner but my internet has been playing up and I have not been able to get on line bt have been messing about

it makes me slightly cross kids go in with colds (poor kids working while ill just to keep to government targets) etc as they are told they need to be in - then teachers get ill, as do some of their peers. supply teachers come in and you cant seem to get the same on twice - in the end all the class suffer where as if the worst two days were spent at home (worked emailed if they are up to it) and I am sure the children as a class would actually get more consistency.

you have done so well paying in that amount already

do what you can and even if you dont get back to work as soon as you hope I bet you beat that date

I will second dont be over doing things Tea and I might gang up on you if you dont behave

love your contdown lists
    they remind me to check the bank account
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) 18 Pot 2 10
    total 22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    40/1000 plus some in my bank 138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 11th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    teafor2
    Agree with everything you have said Aaleigha about children with colds being in school and also making sure CG doesn't overdo things
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Jan 19, 9:44 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    No fear of me over doing thing, I'm done run down but doc won't give me antibiotics. We know the cause and it'll get sorted.

I've a lovely weekend of catching up with friends for lunch today and a curry night tomorrow. I got hubby to take me 25 to cover the food out my account. So excited to see them as some are ex work mates and not seen them since I left.

Tomorrow night's curry is at mine so chance to raid wine/drinks cabinet because still stacks in there so apart from my food I won't spend. I already know can't finish meal with starter as struggling with appetite, so will share with hubby.

My account - 133.65
    My wallet - 25.00

I'm fed up not having cash machine in village (it was dragged out by a jcb abd never replaced. Hubby got 130 out which is 28 for the cleaner leaving 102 for food budget for the rest of the month he did look and say that's not a lot! Explained I do have a master plan - I've meal planned dinners until 18th and I'm sticking to it religiously. This week will need small top up shop usual veg milk etc to get us to 18th. 15 or less

My plan is to do another full stock check and meal plan from 19th to 31st, with big shop on 19th. Budget 75 It's going to be tight but my freezer is still full (not sure how) sand then one little top up shop 12. I think pushing longer between the shops definitely helps as cuts down on the amount of junk we buy.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Jan 19, 9:47 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Still waiting for account to catch up with money in/out etc

Balance 167.68 / available 119.40

Spends
    - 40 mot (fingers crossed it passes)
    - 50 to clear school trip (buffer just in case)
    - 25 fuel
    - 4.20 spare will send to cc if it exsists at end of month!
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 12th Jan 19, 10:14 AM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning CG. You are doing really well with your food budget and if all goes to plan you're going to have money left over at the end of the month - it doesn't matter how much.

Can't decide whether having a cash machine on hand or not is a good thing. A pain if you definitely need to use it, but I suppose you're not tempted to just pop there. Do you have far to travel if you desperately need to use it.

What a lovely weekend you've got planned. It's great to catch up with work colleagues isn't it. I still keep in touch with some of mine.

Hope you feel a bit better soon. I'm sure seeing your friends will be perk you up - just the tonic you need as my dear old gran would say.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    It's 2.9 miles away tea, but with being off the road it might as well be 290

I can't wait to see them all it's been a long. It's the first time I've had cash of my own in my wallet since my accident. OMG I feel like a grown up! Saying that I think it's the first of any cash, unless you count my random 1 coin.

I'm feeling really positive at the minute, despite all the medical poop. Hubby brought me brekkie in bed and I'm having a lie in until 10:30! Up shower and going to make the effort to dry my hair rather than scrap it back. No clean pjs today, I'm getting dressed properly.

The shopping cash is sitting in my shopping wallet so will be a nsd for joint money! So today a good day.

Enjoy your weekend x has dd divine back to uni yet?
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 12th Jan 19, 10:47 AM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    teafor2
    You'll be jogging to that cash machine by the end of the year

It makes a difference to how we feel when there's something to look forward to on a day doesn't it. I'd live in PJ's if I could but I have been strict with myself and live in comfy tracky bottoms and nice comfy tops. I do look presentable honest.

Yes DD went back to Uni last night. I'm actually missing her more than when she first left in September. Think I'm a feeling a bit emotional after the funeral. Just want my family around me. Can't hold them back though can we. Best job we can do is make sure they're ready to go and then let them. x
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Jan 19, 9:03 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Ahhhhh it must be hard saying goodbye. I know she's an adult but she'll always be your baby. I hate it when mine away. The eldest stayed at her friends At new year....and I cried.

So much for a nsd...hubby got him abd kid's a Chinese 13.25 gone! It's been a difficult week and I came to bed at 5 feeling lousy. They all really enjoyed it abd it's a nice treat. Means budget soooo right now, but I'm just looking at bonus I didn't have to cook.

I love my pjs and spent most of last few months in them! It was nice to get dressed up inc makeup! I even felt human
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 13th Jan 19, 11:16 AM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    teafor2
    I remember the first time DD wasn't here on NY Eve - she was 15. I put a brave face on but it was then I realised things were changing and life was moving on to the next stage for us.

Don't feel too bad about the money spent on Chinese. When treats like that aren't regular it makes them all the more enjoyable and appreciated. And not having to cook is always a bonus

Hope you enjoyed your lunch and feeling rotten didn't hit you until afterwards. Have a lovely day. Make sure you're rested enough to enjoy this evening. x
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 14th Jan 19, 8:57 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    I think it's the realisation they're growing up fast and they're be looking at uni and things in handful of years.

Had a lovely weekend catching up with friends but did pay for it. Lazy day planned abd going to try and get done ironing done.

Today will be nsd number 7/14.....need to try harder! The days are flying by and pay day will be here soon.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 14th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    teafor2
    Yes, they seem to grow up overnight and when they're looking at college and uni it certainly brings home how things are moving on.

I think you're doing really well with your NSD's. Your halfway there already

Glad you enjoyed your weekend. Ours was really quiet but then again that's probably just what we needed after the last few weeks with the funeral etc.

Have a good day and don't overdo things. x
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 14th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    My day has bee.mn more than lazy....it's been in bed! Had to take painkillers twice so furthest I've been is the loo!

You've had so much on your plate tea, I'm sure some chilled out family time was just what you all needed. X
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,123Users online

Martin's Twitter